Computer Related > Shadow copy error 0X8004230F‏ Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 15

Shadow copy error 0X8004230F‏ - Iffy
Oops, I think may have posted this in the wrong thread in error.

So for those that have kindly been asking what it's all about.

Briefly, I used a registry cleaner and now, when I try to back-up using the 'back-up and restore center' in Vista, I get this error message.

The back-up starts OK like it used to, with the pulsing green progress bar and legend 'creating a shadow copy'.

But then the bar turns red, the back-up stops, and up pops the error message 0X8004230F‏ and the legend 'back-up unsuccessful'.

A bit of Googling led me to: tinyurl.com/674cy2

I'd surprised if anyone has the skill and patience to talk me through that little lot.

But if there is a simple solution....

Thanks.

Shadow copy error 0X8004230F‏ - smokie
You may have Googled the wrong number - there are quite a few examples of your particular error lmgtfy.com/?q=0x8004230f. Many seem associated with external drives of some sort, or programs which map drives as fixed drives. If you use any external/eSata etc drives it could be worth unplugging them and trying again.

The very first result is for a registry fix which, judging by feedback (which I don't always trust), does the trick.
...The very first result is for a registry fix...

It was a registry cleaner that created the problem in the first place.

The Bluetooth stack error which I mentioned elsewhere has now not appeared for a day or so.

I think I have back-up successfully with Replicator so will probably leave it at that.

As ever with anything connected with the workings of the computer, what I want to happen, doesn't happen, of if it does, something else happens as well which I didn't want to happen.

The phrase 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' applies to users such as myself.

'Click and hope' is another way to put it.

Shadow copy error 0X8004230F‏ - Zero
I would seriously consider a reformat and reload of windows. I do this on a yearly basis anyway as it keep it sweet and quick.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 21 Apr 10 at 10:09
...I would seriously consider a reformat and reload of windows...

Er, can I do that without losing data?

If so, you know what the next question's going to be.

yes you can you have backups remember. where do you backup to? not the same drive? (letter)

Last edited by: Zero on Wed 21 Apr 10 at 10:14
So how does one reload and reformat?

I hasten to add - before anyone threatens to send the boys round - I bought the computer retail with Vista pre-loaded, so I am the licence holder.

Don't recall getting any CDs with it, though.

Edit: I back up to a separate usb drive.

Last edited by: ifithelps on Wed 21 Apr 10 at 10:16
If you have no recovery media then it probably has a recovery partition. YOu can boot into this and it will recover your machine back to the state it was when you bought it.

Check your documentation
 Shadow copy error 0X8004230F‏ - rtj70
And before doing anything check your backups! Backups are known to fail.
...Check your documentation...

Yes, will have a little look-see.

I've managed to back-up using Replicator.

Every time I attempt what I would call an egineering task on the computer, something else seems to happen that I hadn't expected and I end up in a muddle.

The more I think about, the more inclined I am to leave things as they are.

Last edited by: ifithelps on Wed 21 Apr 10 at 10:35
 Shadow copy error 0X8004230F‏ - Tooslow
if, it's because it's doing what you tell it, not what what you want it to :-) They're snip for that.

JH
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 21 Apr 10 at 13:08
...it's because it's doing what you tell it, not what what you want it to...

Spot on, the damn thing sees me coming every time.
create a new admin user account, with a diffrent name, and use that.

That really foxes it.

Or invoke the full admin account, that frightens it
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 21 Apr 10 at 11:34
...create a new admin user account, with a diffrent name, and use that...

Good thought.

I might try that, because I can just abandon the new account if I make a balls of it.

Would a back-up done via a new account be likely to back-up all the data on the disk?

Shadow copy error 0X8004230F‏ - rtj70
Windows is good at hiding important files in locations you might forget to backup. One example is Outlook. Unless you move your mailbox or backup data in your profile in a hidden directory then you may not be backing up everything.

I usually set Windows to locate my documents in a particular location instead within my profile. And setup Outlook to store email files (offline ones) in my documents folder.

If you create a new account with admin rights, it should have access to the folders of your other user including the Documents and Settings foler.

Also make sure your backup is okay. Even backup drives can have problems. I'd periodically do a scan of important backups.

I've now got so much media that is important (videos from camcorder, pictures and music) that I now have a NAS which is mirrored. That will then be made to periodically backup to an external USB drive attached to the NAS. Sounds paranoid I know but I don't want to lose files.
>> ...create a new admin user account with a diffrent name and use that...
>>
>> Good thought.
>>
>> I might try that because I can just abandon the new account if I make
>> a balls of it.
>>
>> Would a back-up done via a new account be likely to back-up all the data
>> on the disk?

If you set the backup correctly, and its done from an account with admin rights, yes.
Latest Forum Posts