Motoring Discussion > Land Rover Discovery 3 - How many clutches is normal? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike Hannon Replies: 9

Land Rover Discovery 3 - How many clutches is normal? - -
My own feelings on these is that first and reverse gear are too high in high range, coupled with an engine that like most modern diesels has little or no urge below turbo spool revs means that even though they don't mean to drivers are slipping the clutch in normal driving...i imagine the 3 litre won't suffer quite the same as it's got that bit more torque at the bottom end, but time will tell.
For loading purposes low range is specified and needed, but that's of no use in normal driving as you can't change ranges on the move ASFAIK.
I know someone who used to have a Disco 1..well 2 of them actually, he would have to stop and engage low range to get the thing on his drive, never understood the attraction of them.

Quite why LR didn't offer the V8 Diesel in Disco as well as RR sport i don't know, same chassis etc, that would have been a better bet.

Ironically your pal's vehicle might benefit from a remap specified to increase fuelling at low revs so he can pull away at tickover.

May i humbly suggest too you take your pal to test drive a Landcruiser (Amazon pref) though i understand LC5 may be getting a new engine soon, the auto's and reliability of all of them are superb.
 Messages Author Date
 Land Rover Discovery 3 - How many clutche..  Mike Hannon 9 May 10 16:10
 Land Rover Discovery 3 - How many clu..  - 9 May 10 16:27
 Land Rover Discovery 3 - How many clutc..  Fenlander 9 May 10 16:36
 Land Rover Discovery 3 - How many clut..  - 9 May 10 16:43
 Land Rover Discovery 3 - How many clu..  Fenlander 9 May 10 18:25
 Land Rover Discovery 3 - How many c..  R.P. 9 May 10 19:20
 Land Rover Discovery 3 - How many ..  Stuu 9 May 10 19:30
 Land Rover Discovery 3 - How many..  Manatee 9 May 10 20:37
 Land Rover Discovery 3 - How man..  Mike Hannon 10 May 10 10:42
 Land Rover Discovery 3 - How ma..  Lygonos 10 May 10 14:57
Latest Forum Posts