Motoring Discussion > Acoustic Windscreens and Stone Chips Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 9

Acoustic Windscreens and Stone Chips - rtj70
Last weekend whilst driving to Liverpool what sounded like a large stone hit the windscreen... I couldn't see any damage when driving and forgot about it. Then the next day (last Sunday) I washed the car and can't say I noticed any stone damage either.

Parked the car up yesterday morning after a short drive. Got back in later in the afternoon and there is now a crack in the windscreen. Total length about 10 inches. Oh well. There was damage I see now ... below the visible window line from the inside and not that large. I've had worse on many cars before. This was not deep or anything.

But when I was thinking about proper parts for replacement I remembered this VW has an acoustic windscreen. On closer examination I can see the outer glass is thinner than I'd expect and you can see a thick (4-5mm) layer in the middle so I assume this is the plastic layer for acoustics.

I can't help thinking that this would not have happened with a normal screen.... and on the other hand there's me hoping for the correct part to be fitted this week. Maybe I won't notice a lack of acoustic layer if that happened?

Anyway if your car has an acoustic layer in the windscreen, then get any damage and go get it fixed I'd say. I ignored (actually didn't see damage) and a week later I need a new one!
 Messages Author Date
 Acoustic Windscreens and Stone Chips new rtj70 2 Jun 13 22:00
 Acoustic Windscreens and Stone Chips new Zero 2 Jun 13 22:23
 Acoustic Windscreens and Stone Chips new rtj70 3 Jun 13 00:19
 Acoustic Windscreens and Stone Chips new BobbyG 3 Jun 13 14:15
 Acoustic Windscreens and Stone Chips new rtj70 3 Jun 13 14:20
 Acoustic Windscreens and Stone Chips new mikeyb 3 Jun 13 20:23
 Acoustic Windscreens and Stone Chip.. new R.P. 3 Jun 13 20:59
 Acoustic Windscreens and Stone Chi.. new rtj70 3 Jun 13 21:33
 Acoustic Windscreens and Stone Ch.. new bathtub tom 3 Jun 13 22:51
 Acoustic Windscreens and Stone C.. new rtj70 3 Jun 13 23:07
Latest Forum Posts