Motoring Discussion > Possibly buying a newish Skoda? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Baz Replies: 10

Possibly buying a newish Skoda? - Baz
May swap our Panda for something bigger and more versatile for family of four plus the odd big trip to Europe fully loaded.
Big fan of Skoda and currently own an Octavia 1.9 tdi Mk 1 getting on a bit. Very impressed by the latest Octavia and the Roomster, both are serious options. Outsider is a 2 to 3 year old Avensis hatch or estate.

Budget up to about 10.5K, prefer to spend less obviously, being tight! Would hold onto it for 5 or 6 years at least. Like to minimise depreciation.
Questions re Skoda...... which engine? Petrol or diesel? Annual mileage 12000 but I like the old 1.9tdi.
Skoda are doing VAT free which opens up possibilities of a new one - breaking all my rules there! Want to avoid common rail and DPF. Hence the 105PD 1.9 in either model?
What's the 1.2 and 1.4 tsi like? Enough in the Octavia?
Any experiences of living with Roomster or any of these engines?
Am aware of Teves ABS unit issue in a used Octavia but now there's an independant fix, doesn't seem so much of an issue? Bit worrying though, hence looking at Avensis. Trouble with that is 1.8 petrol might be a bit flat and thirsty, while diesel Avensis I know nothing of. Have heard a few horror stories with the Avensis too. I read too much I guess!

Any advice welcome to help the decision-making process.
Cheers all.Baz
 Messages Author Date
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? new Baz 1 Jun 10 18:50
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? new corax 1 Jun 10 20:12
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? new Alastairw 1 Jun 10 22:58
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? new Avant 1 Jun 10 23:25
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? new Woodster 2 Jun 10 08:49
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? new hobby 2 Jun 10 09:47
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? new Woodster 2 Jun 10 20:20
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? new Skoda 2 Jun 10 21:44
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? new Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P} 4 Jun 10 14:14
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? new Felix 6 Jun 10 08:33
 Possibly buying a newish Skoda? new Skoda 7 Jun 10 02:08
Latest Forum Posts