Computer Related > Old Vista laptop Computing Issues
Thread Author: Lemma Replies: 8

Old Vista laptop - Lemma
My daughter would like to have a laptop to use for internet browsing and photo backup. Thanks to the grandchildren she can’t get near the various household devices and won’t touch her husbands, She asked me if I had an old laptop that might suit. I envisage that iPhone photos will be sent by email and then backed up on the hard drive and/or an external drive. Other than that just a bit of internet browsing.

I have what was a very nice Toshiba laptop that I hung on to from work. It dates back to perhaps 2005 and doesn’t look to have been switched on for five years. However whilst old and clunky by modern standards it’s a solid piece of kit. I switched it on and it connects to the WiFi, but runs very slowly. I am currently defragmenting the disc and have removed all stored files. I am a long term Apple user and would appreciate any help in setting this up.

Issues I would like to address are whether or not Vista is ok to use, if not what else? How to speed it up so that windows open and close promptly. Also would it need a virus checker, there is an old version, 2014, of AVG. Just update this or look for another freebie?

I would password protect it for her exclusive use. Finally I really don’t want to spend anything on this, just not worth it. I do have an old e ternary hard drive she can have.

Thanks in advance for any help.
 Messages Author Date
 Old Vista laptop new Lemma 26 Jan 19 15:14
 Old Vista laptop new Crankcase 26 Jan 19 15:25
 Old Vista laptop new Zero 26 Jan 19 15:30
 Old Vista laptop new No FM2R 26 Jan 19 21:02
 Old Vista laptop new Kevin 26 Jan 19 22:23
 Old Vista laptop new VxFan 26 Jan 19 20:09
 Old Vista laptop new Lemma 27 Jan 19 10:07
 Old Vista laptop new tyrednemotional 27 Jan 19 10:22
 Old Vista laptop new sherlock47 27 Jan 19 12:48
Latest Forum Posts