Motoring Discussion > Lucky Escapes Green Issues
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 12

Lucky Escapes - No FM2R
As I was driving back home on the school run just now I had a lucky escape of no great interest or import but it started me thinking.

About 10 years ago I was driving through rural Buckinghamshire in winter on a country road. It was very cold but dry. I was driving a Phaeton, which was equipped with an awful lot of clever stability control stuff. I'd left the house thinking about ice and/or frost but there hadn't been any.

As I was going around a gentle corner, at about 50mph, the car lost all (and I mean *all*) grip and was simply floating. At about the same time three cars in ditches came into view with half a dozen people around all waving frantically.

By pure fluke the Phaeton drifted in the same direction as the curve for quite some distance and then just as it looked like it was going to run out of road and with no great drama, it regained grip and carried on as normal.

But for a while, at 50mph with my girls in the back and ditches and trees either side of the car everything was totally out of control.

Sometimes I'm grateful karma is not a thing, I still come out in cold sweats thinking about it even now.

So how close have you come without the bad thing actually happening?

Messages Author Date
 Lucky Escapes new No FM2R 3 May 19 19:05
 Lucky Escapes new sooty123 3 May 19 19:38
 Lucky Escapes new bathtub tom 3 May 19 19:52
 Lucky Escapes new zippy 3 May 19 21:35
 Lucky Escapes new No FM2R 3 May 19 21:43
 Lucky Escapes new zippy 3 May 19 22:13
 Lucky Escapes new zippy 3 May 19 21:42
 Lucky Escapes new R.P. 3 May 19 22:19
 Lucky Escapes new Bromptonaut 3 May 19 22:37
 Lucky Escapes new Zero 3 May 19 22:30
 Lucky Escapes new MD 4 May 19 07:53