Motoring Discussion > Large load space for dog cage and other gear Buying / Selling
Thread Author: the_moose Replies: 11

Large load space for dog cage and other gear - the_moose
Hi all,

I want to get a vehicle with a large enough load area for a dog cage (105 x 70 x 70cm) along with other luggage. Currently we run an Alhambra where the dog cage sits sideways across the load space, but it takes up most of the room so we need to use a roof box for luggage. Is there anything with a 1m+ long load bay that we could get instead, so I could mount the dog cage front-to-back instead of sideways across the load bay?

We don't need the 7 seats we have in the Alhambra, but it does need room for 4 adults in relative comfort. It must be petrol as we do lots of short runs (I've screwed up the DPF and Cat on our diesel Alhambra). Fuel economy is relatively unimportant.

I value reliability far higher than looks, and with the exception of e-windows in the front I am not fussed about any gadgets. I would prefer SUV style for easier access, I don't want to bend down to get into an estate car. Not bothered about age if it was something I would get 5+ yrs use out of, and I would hope to spend less than £20k - but if necessary I could extend that for the ideal vehicle.

I might be looking for a unicorn here, but is there something in the UK that fits the bill? We were in the US a couple of years ago and hired a Ford Expedition that I reckon would have been ideal, it had a cavern of load space, but I can't think of anything I've seen on UK roads that is similar in style with the large squared-off back end. Maybe a twin cab pickup with the load area covered would do? I could perhaps replace the rear cab glass with something that opens so we have a bit of contact with the dog, but I've not found any petrol versions of large twin cabs in my searches.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated, thanks.
 Messages Author Date
 Large load space for dog cage and other.. new the_moose 8 Sep 19 17:57
 Large load space for dog cage and other g.. new Bromptonaut 8 Sep 19 18:11
 Large load space for dog cage and other .. new Zero 8 Sep 19 18:28
 Large load space for dog cage and other g.. new Bobby 8 Sep 19 18:47
 Large load space for dog cage and other .. new Runfer D'Hills 8 Sep 19 18:59
 Large load space for dog cage and other.. new VxFan 8 Sep 19 19:57
 Large load space for dog cage and othe.. new Dulwich Estate II 8 Sep 19 22:00
 Large load space for dog cage and ot.. new Duncan 8 Sep 19 22:16
 Large load space for dog cage and ot.. new Zero 8 Sep 19 23:03
 Large load space for dog cage and other g.. new James T 9 Sep 19 06:41
 Large load space for dog cage and other .. new devonite 9 Sep 19 09:52