Non-motoring > Zero Hour Contracts Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 5

Zero Hour Contracts - zippy
I thought I was totally against zero hour contracts until my firm - a major UK bank confirmed that we have a small number of staff (<50) on zero hour contracts.

Apparently we do not offer zero hour contracts as a rule but some staff in city centre branches have asked to go on them when they take maternity leave or have child minding responsibility.

It suits them to be on call when permanent members of staff are on sick leave etc. to be called in at relatively short notice and work cover.

I still have my doubts re the wholesale use of such contracts but for niche situations I can see how it can suit some employers.

Zero Hour Contracts - No FM2R
I think effectively I have worked many times on zero-hour contracts.

The difference of course is whether it is to your advantage or that you have no choice and will take what you can get.

If you have a valuable skillset, especially if it is in short supply, and no need to work as many hours as you can, then zero-hour contracts can be good and suitable for both parties.

But if you do not have such a skill set and are scratching for whatever you can get, then they are b***** awful and an aberration.

They shouldn't be allowed. It is simply taking advantage of a position of power versus a position of need.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 1 Aug 20 at 18:31
 Zero Hour Contracts - zippy
>>But if you do not have such a skill set and are scratching for whatever you can get, then they
>>are b***** awful and an aberration.

Totally.

The people on these contracts within our organisation are branch cashiers. They left and asked to be able to work ad-hoc as hours where available.

From our news letter, each one of the <50 contracts has been reviewed by the staff union to ensure that it suited the employee.

They retain staff perks like free banking, staff mortgage (if qualifying), staff portal discounts, access to health insurance and are of course paid for training. They also get holiday pay, are included in the bonus scheme and get pro-rata bank holiday pay calculated at the end of the year. So it's not a bad deal if that's what they choose.
 Zero Hour Contracts - No FM2R
A different situation of course, but it does show that they can be used reasonably. Which is often how reasonable and sensible the contracts seem to be when presented and explained by experienced, competent and well presented managers trained to communicate.

But all too often not only is the employee in need, the responsibility for the rota and hours allocation is delegated as a mere admin task to some badly trained, none-too bright, moody little jobsworth who enjoys playing favourites with the lives of those within his realm.

Since we simply cannot trust those administering them, they should be stopped. Whilst those responsible for enacting their injustice should be shot.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 1 Aug 20 at 19:01
 Zero Hour Contracts - R.P.
I was on zero or "bank" hours with the NHS. Suited me. Suits people who aren't too dependent on the wage they bring in. Problem with such contracts are where the main earner in a household is on them, and they suddenly disappear.
 Zero Hour Contracts - Terry
It is all about the balance of power between the two parties and the exent to which each behave with integrity and consideration for the other.

As an employer the proposition that 20% of my pay costs are based on zero hours contracts is great - I can easily flex my costs to reflect any change in demand levels.

As a member of staff I can choose who I want to work for and when (in theory). I can flex my hours around other commitments - child care, hobbies, study etc etc.

Reality - some employers abuse the system, some staff take advantage and cannot be relied upon. The balance at any time probably depends on unemployment levels and the alternative options for staff!
Latest Forum Posts