Non-motoring > Expenses for Working at Home Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 19

Expenses for Working at Home - Bromptonaut
>> Re office or home mileage, I recall it all boiled down to your "normal place
>> of work". You couldn't claim mileage to your "normal place of work" Not as simple
>> as it sounds when based at home and visiting the same multiple clients regularly, but
>> for differing schedules/periods of time.

ISTR there was at one time a saving in the home to office bit where, if you held a season ticket for your regular journey to work, then there was no deduction for home to office mileage. There was also some sort of triangle based calculation around where you started from/ended up and where the office was.

Latterly we were also strongly discouraged from using our own vehicles. I can count on one hand the number of occasions I drove for work, at least in my last CS post and two of those were to courses at Highgate House, a hop skip and jump form home. One though was to the British Library at Wetherby. It was seriously suggested that I travel 60 miles to London and pick up a pool car to drive to Wetherby. In doing so I would pass within sight of my home village by M1/J16.

I drove from home in my own Xantia.

We also had issues at the Quango with where people were based. The staff were London based Civil Servants based in a block on Kingsway. No argument there.

The Quango itself however comprised of fifteen Members appointed by Minsters to serve a fixed term. With the exception of the Chairman they had no desk etc in the office. They worked from home, latterly by email, except for travelling to visit operational sites for Tribunals etc and once a month to attend a formal meeting in London.

At some stage in the past the Revenue had, after extensive correspondence, classified them as office based. The result was that when we paid them to travel to the office, and they came from all over England and Wales by first class rail or air, their travel costs were treated as taxable benefits. The outcome was that the office met the tax liability and something on top because that payment too was a benefit. Their was some protocol with HMRC which allowed us to do that.
 Messages Author Date
 Expenses for Working at Home  Bromptonaut 22 Sep 20 18:48
 Expenses for Working at Home  Robin O'Reliant 22 Sep 20 20:10
 Expenses for Working at Home  zippy 22 Sep 20 20:24
 Expenses for Working at Home  zippy 22 Sep 20 21:58
 Expenses for Working at Home  smokie 22 Sep 20 23:39
 Expenses for Working at Home  zippy 23 Sep 20 00:16
 Expenses for Working at Home  Zero 23 Sep 20 11:09
 Expenses for Working at Home  smokie 23 Sep 20 11:27
 Expenses for Working at Home  tyrednemotional 23 Sep 20 11:32
 Expenses for Working at Home  Runfer D'Hills 23 Sep 20 11:44
 Expenses for Working at Home  Bromptonaut 23 Sep 20 13:01