Motoring Discussion > DRL retrofit - anyone else done it? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 8

DRL retrofit - anyone else done it? - hawkeye
Much as I hated DRLs when they first appeared, I've since decided that if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Mrs H's 2010 Citroen and my 2004 Jaguar have now got the benefit of so-called 'switchback' DRLs. For those who don't know, the switchback refers to an array of different coloured LEDs on a bulb which is substantially the same size as a normal 21W indicator bulb. The bulbs are designed to fit behind clear lenses so you get white lights from one array and amber lights from the other. If the amber array is working, it puts the white array out. Of course I realise that many of you with modern cars will light up your DRLs by simply turning the ignition switch or whatever one does with keyless go. I've now got DRLs which use the existing light fittings; no drilling or sticking.

Apart from replacing the horn on the Citroen before its last MoT, this project is, for me, a throwback to years ago when I would fit accessories like spotlights, heated rear windows and air horns to my cars. The Jaguar was a bit of a challenge, having ground-switched electrics, but a Jaguar forum provided the answer in the shape of a wiring diagram. The effect is shown in this short vid.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QvgvBbQDSM&feature=youtu.be

When was the last time you fitted an accessory to your vehicle and what was it; vehicle and accessory?
 Messages Author Date
 DRL retrofit - anyone else done it? new hawkeye 26 Apr 21 18:21
 DRL retrofit - anyone else done it? new hawkeye 26 Apr 21 18:26
 DRL retrofit - anyone else done it? new Robin O'Reliant 26 Apr 21 19:05
 DRL retrofit - anyone else done it? new No FM2R 26 Apr 21 19:34
 DRL retrofit - anyone else done it? new James T 26 Apr 21 20:46
 DRL retrofit - anyone else done it? new stan10 26 Apr 21 20:40
 DRL retrofit - anyone else done it? new Bobby 26 Apr 21 22:03
 DRL retrofit - anyone else done it? new bathtub tom 26 Apr 21 22:41
 DRL retrofit - anyone else done it? new Manatee 27 Apr 21 09:36
Latest Forum Posts