Motoring Discussion > Toyota Avensis - Broke the record Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Lemma Replies: 8

Toyota Avensis - Broke the record - Lemma
Travelling up the M42 yesterday in the Avensis there was a loud bang as the rear tyre blew out. Fortunately I was not in a hurry and doing about 60/65 in lane 2. The smart element of the motorway was not in use and the hard shoulder was for its original purpose. I was about 100m from a refuge area, pulled over and drove slowly to it to avoid as far as possible damage to the rim.

The Avensis has a skinny spare so fitted that, got off the motorway as soon as possible and drove to the nearest town. Top marks to Protyre who were efficient, cheerful and professional. On our way again with the new tyre and arrived an hour late.

OK so it happens from time to time, but could have been so much worse had it been a front tyre. The interesting part to me was that they found an 8” long piece of 1” angle iron actually in the tyre, complete with a nut and bolt in one end. They had never seen anything like this before apparently. It had effectively speared the tyre. That probably accounts for why we saw, as we left the refuge area, signs saying “beware debris on road”. They weren’t wrong. We count ourselves very fortunate.
 Messages Author Date
 Toyota Avensis - Broke the record new Lemma 13 Jun 21 15:01
 Toyota Avensis - Broke the record new Robin O'Reliant 13 Jun 21 16:55
 Toyota Avensis - Broke the record new Kevin 13 Jun 21 18:17
 Toyota Avensis - Broke the record new Lemma 13 Jun 21 22:56
 Toyota Avensis - Broke the record new bathtub tom 14 Jun 21 09:12
 Toyota Avensis - Broke the record new Bobby 13 Jun 21 23:10
 Toyota Avensis - Broke the record new Robin O'Reliant 14 Jun 21 14:21
 Toyota Avensis - Broke the record new Lemma 14 Jun 21 17:23
 Toyota Avensis - Broke the record new Lygonos 15 Jun 21 07:24
Latest Forum Posts