Non-motoring > The parking discussion with neighbours Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 10

The parking discussion with neighbours - Fursty Ferret
I live on a development of 7 houses. Everyone has a double-driveway and garage, except me. I have a single driveway and own the strip of land outside the house which has room for two more cars.

We only have one car and it's not taken long for one of my neighbours to realise and start parking routinely on the land directly in front of the house (they have two cars and a camper van). They've never asked, but other neighbours have said that the previous owners were very relaxed about it.

Normally this doesn't cause an issue, but they've disappeared off on holiday using a taxi and left their car outside my house. I've got builders coming this week and they won't have anywhere to park their van, and visitors yesterday ended up on the main road. Guaranteed parking spaces are literally one of the top 3 reasons I used when buying the house.

How do I make it clear that this needs to stop? Quite happy with occasional parking, but I think leaving a car there overnight is pretty unreasonable. If someone asks, I'm very unlikely to say no. Just don't want it to become custom-and-practice that my land is used as the visitor parking spaces for the development.

I hate conflict, I really do. I've tried marking my territory by parking badly outside my own house, but there is sufficient room that you can always get a second car in. :-(

Am I being unreasonable? I don't use all 4 bedrooms in the house but that doesn't mean that someone else can help themselves to them.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Tue 9 Aug 22 at 09:47
 Messages Author Date
 The parking discussion with neighbours new Fursty Ferret 9 Aug 22 09:47
 The parking discussion with neighbours new smokie 9 Aug 22 09:59
 The parking discussion with neighbours new sooty123 9 Aug 22 10:14
 The parking discussion with neighbours new Manatee 9 Aug 22 10:24
 The parking discussion with neighbours new Falkirk Bairn 9 Aug 22 10:35
 The parking discussion with neighbours new zippy 9 Aug 22 11:34
 The parking discussion with neighbours new Terry 9 Aug 22 12:06
 The parking discussion with neighbou.. new bathtub tom 9 Aug 22 14:08
 The parking discussion with neighbo.. new martin aston 10 Aug 22 06:58
 The parking discussion with neighb.. new BiggerBadderDave 10 Aug 22 10:25