Non-motoring > Santander have closed my account! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 8

Santander have closed my account! - Rudedog
Yesterday my wife went to check the balance in our joint Santander account by using the hole-in-the-wall outside of the branch (not local) ….which then proceeded to swallow it!

She went inside the branch, after waiting quite a while she was rather curtly told that the account had been put into 'hibernation'!.... no explanation why.

This account is the only joint account we have and is a legacy of when it used to be Abbey National and is an emergency backup account which probably has only £100 in (we have separate daily bank accounts with completely different companies).

How can they do this without even sending us a letter?? The last time we might have used it was pre-pandemic, is that really that long before an account is classed as 'dead'?

Worst thing is is that they then flatly refused to deal with her at the counter as it was a 'joint' account meaning they wouldn't discuss it without me being there!

Makes no sense... so my wife could still use the card to withdraw money...on her own, she could still use the contactless bit... on her own!

Apparently they only said to 'awaken' the account would involve us both going together and proving our nationality etc. - although they then said it could be done over the phone...what!! I could be anybody at the other end.

Zero customer service....I hate Santander!

I would walk away but £100 is £100.
 Messages Author Date
 Santander have closed my account! new Rudedog 11 Aug 23 15:54
 Santander have closed my account! new Bromptonaut 11 Aug 23 16:27
 Santander have closed my account! new zippy 11 Aug 23 17:16
 Santander have closed my account! new zippy 11 Aug 23 17:21
 Santander have closed my account! new Terry 11 Aug 23 20:55
 Santander have closed my account! new Rudedog 11 Aug 23 21:55
 Santander have closed my account! new bathtub tom 11 Aug 23 22:22
 Santander have closed my account! new smokie 12 Aug 23 00:12
 Santander have closed my account! new zippy 12 Aug 23 13:55
Latest Forum Posts