Non-motoring > Bank Totally Insensitive and Unhelpful Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 10

Bank Totally Insensitive and Unhelpful - Bromptonaut
I have a client who is terminally ill with metastatic cancer - weeks left. She is in hospital some distance from home and although she has mental capacity she struggles to speak.

She and her husband have separate bank accounts with one of the big UK banks. She is still being paid (quite well) and has been advised she'll be better off if she dies 'in harness' rather than seeking ill-health retirement.

Husband needs access to the cash in the account which includes salary as above and also child benefit for their daughter (16) and her Personal Independence Payment which is approx £170/week.

No LPA/EPA; they didn't get it place in time.

He visited the bank yesterday (he is their customer too) seeking help.

IMHO he should have been sat down and talked through the options of which a third party mandate looks best. Instead he was given a 'computer says no' lecture on client confidentiality and told that the bank could do nothing without speaking to his wife. The fact she cannot speak cut no ice.

I've sent him the mandate form and a link to the bank's guidance and hopefully he can get that sorted.

I'm left fuming at the insensitivity of the bank/staff. However that's tempered, so far as the staff member is concerned, by the fact that I suspect a role that once carried discretion is now run off a script.
 Messages Author Date
 Bank Totally Insensitive and Unhelpful new Bromptonaut 15 Aug 23 16:32
 Bank Totally Insensitive and Unhelpful new legacylad 15 Aug 23 16:51
 Bank Totally Insensitive and Unhelpful new Bobby 15 Aug 23 19:25
 Bank Totally Insensitive and Unhelpful new zippy 15 Aug 23 19:35
 Bank Totally Insensitive and Unhelpful new R.P. 15 Aug 23 20:39
 Bank Totally Insensitive and Unhelpful new bathtub tom 15 Aug 23 22:34
 Bank Totally Insensitive and Unhelpf.. new Bromptonaut 16 Aug 23 01:12
 Bank Totally Insensitive and Unhelp.. new zippy 16 Aug 23 02:11
 Bank Totally Insensitive and Unhel.. new smokie 16 Aug 23 09:03
 Bank Totally Insensitive and Unhelp.. new sooty123 16 Aug 23 06:37
 Bank Totally Insensitive and Unhelpful new CGNorwich 16 Aug 23 19:40