Non-motoring > Can't get British Gas refund Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 11

Can't get British Gas refund - Fursty Ferret
Having a bit of a nightmare getting my money back from British Gas. I'm on their "EnergySmart" tariff, which promises accurate bills in return for monthly meter readings provided through their website.

This I've done, except that on reviewing my bank statements this week discovered that what they've actually done is taken £87/month by direct debit for eight months instead. Compared to what should actually have been paid, this has left me £280 in credit on the account.

Called British Gas and they told me that because some people have difficulty finding the increased payments during the winter months, they take more during the summer to average things out.

I pointed out this is unlikely to be a problem for me and that (a) I don't like being misled in adverts and (b) I'd rather the money lived in my bank account instead of earning interest for BG.

Anyway, "no can do" is the response. Recalculations happen only once a year apparently and I'm under the threshold for a repayment anyway. Leaving them in a month when I move house but really don't like the idea of closing the account with £280 in it, since things have a nasty habit of getting lost.

Is this a reasonable case to apply for a refund under the Direct Debit guarantee from my bank?
 Messages Author Date
 Can't get British Gas refund new Fursty Ferret 5 Dec 10 11:45
 Can't get British Gas refund new Fenlander 5 Dec 10 12:38
 Can't get British Gas refund new Perky Penguin 5 Dec 10 15:14
 Can't get British Gas refund new Tooslow 5 Dec 10 15:22
 Can't get British Gas refund new Perky Penguin 5 Dec 10 15:37
 Can't get British Gas refund new Iffy 5 Dec 10 16:00
 Can't get British Gas refund new teabelly 5 Dec 10 17:03
 Can't get British Gas refund new VxFan 5 Dec 10 18:16
 Can't get British Gas refund new - 5 Dec 10 20:55
 Can't get British Gas refund new henry k 5 Dec 10 21:43
 Can't get British Gas refund new rtj70 5 Dec 10 22:00