Computer Related > Any way of doing this in C? Low level file system Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 6

Any way of doing this in C? Low level file system - RattleandSmoke
It should be very simple but can't find out the answers on google. I need to write a simple program in console mode C which simply lists the most recent files in a given folder. Now I need low level access to this and it cannot use any of the Windows APIs.

I am currently writing a batch file to make rootkit detection a bit easier/quicker but as people understanding this will know most rootkits modify hook the APIs so that the results in windows explorer are wrong (e.g they hide the rootkit files).

If I wrote such an application my idea is would be much harder for the rootkits to manipulate its results as it won't be using the windows API. My question is what I want to do too difficult?

Would writing in Java be a better bet so it is run within the virtual machine or I wonder if rootkits now affect that too?

It would be used in situations where I am pretty sure there is no rootkit on the system but want a second opinion. I will still use a boot CD to check for files if I knew there was a rootkit but that takes too long in cases of trivial malware removal.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 17 Dec 10 at 21:12
 Messages Author Date
 Any way of doing this in C? Low level f.. new RattleandSmoke 17 Dec 10 21:12
 Any way of doing this in C? Low level fil.. new Focusless 17 Dec 10 22:03
 Any way of doing this in C? Low level fil.. new Kevin 18 Dec 10 19:58
 Any way of doing this in C? Low level fil.. new teabelly 18 Dec 10 21:05
 Any way of doing this in C? Low level fi.. new Zero 18 Dec 10 21:48
 Any way of doing this in C? Low level f.. new rtj70 19 Dec 10 11:25
 Any way of doing this in C? Low level fil.. new Kevin 19 Dec 10 18:02
Latest Forum Posts