Computer Related > Getting video into iTunes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 11

Getting video into iTunes - Crankcase
Here's my plan.

We have acres of old videos - 20 years worth. Our VCR is dead and anyway it's time to move on.

My idea is to capture the video to a big external USB drive, point iTunes at it and then stream it from the PC upstairs to something like an Apple TV downstairs, thus making it easy to find and see old stuff quickly.

I have discovered there are a million ways to skin this cat. I have got a capture card that an old VCR will feed, and that creates a vob (dvd style) image on the USB disc in real time quite nicely. But I've hit a major stumbling block.

Converting the video files to mp4, which is what iTunes seems to want, takes a VERY long time. In the order of three to four hours per 20 minutes of film. I've tried a couple of free converters so far.

The ones I have actually done are streaming just fine via iTunes, and play well. It's just so slow.

So, in brief, am I doing something massively wrong, or does it in fact really take as long as this to convert vob files to mp4 files? If it does then I might have to rethink the whole idea, as hundreds of hours of video is going to take me the rest of my life to do.

Messages Author Date
 Getting video into iTunes  Crankcase 23 Dec 10 15:59
 Getting video into iTunes  Zero 23 Dec 10 16:28
 Getting video into iTunes  rtj70 23 Dec 10 16:58
 Getting video into iTunes  smokie 23 Dec 10 17:00
 Getting video into iTunes  Crankcase 23 Dec 10 17:10
 Getting video into iTunes  Zero 23 Dec 10 17:17
 Getting video into iTunes  Crankcase 23 Dec 10 17:30
 Getting video into iTunes  rtj70 23 Dec 10 17:36
 Getting video into iTunes  Crankcase 23 Dec 10 17:51
 Getting video into iTunes  spamcan61 23 Dec 10 17:42
 Getting video into iTunes  Crankcase 23 Dec 10 17:52