Motoring Discussion > Dinitrol versus Waxoyl, anything else out there. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 9

Dinitrol versus Waxoyl, anything else out there. - -
This was going to be a reply to Madf in Technical on Zookeepers rusty tie rods thread, however i got a bit carried away, unusual i know..;) and thought i'd better start a new thread as i'd really like to know if Dinitrol is worth the extra and where to get it if it is, and how best to use it, or is there anything else affordable and easy to buy.

I know our old and much missed mate Oilrag used to use Castrol CL waterproof grease, which although does a good job where it's put is obviously for painting only and presumably not good for rubber parts, so you can't just slosh it about willy nilly.

Keep hearing Dinitrol mentioned, and to be fair Waxoyl's underseal compound which contains Waxoyl isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, it's only reasonably weatherproof IMO, but it and normal Waxoyl are the only thing i've used in volume.

I often buy the Lidl's anti rust aerosols when they are on sale, cheap as chips and useful for an instant powerful jet to get to awkward places without having to set up the full Waxoyl spraying kit, probably not in the least weatherproof but not bad as a temporary quick fix and certainly better than nowt, when for instance you get your mitts on a daughters car for the ten minutes she thinks a full service, inspection and reline take..;)...i managed to get it for 30 hours this time, amazing.

Is Dinitrol good for hand painting/sloshing in and around as well as spraying?, if so where's the best place to buy it and which version and how best to use it please?

Most of the professional rustproofers use Waxoyl, price or knowledge?.

Anything, including a good painting with Hammerite on the heavy wear parts is better than nothing, some of pics i see on various forums of car underbodies, where owners of often expensive modern cars are showing shocker leaks etc are truly shocking for the amount of rust.

Suspension wishbones and steering components, springs, brake calipers, brake proportioning valves particularly, axles, subframes, shocker mounts all rusted to hell, not to mention rusted exhausts that could have their life prolonged with a rub down or wire brushing and bit of paint over the welds.

Yet they show topside pics of their pride and joy and it's polished till the pips squeak, clayed then waxed with the most expensive available and lovingly wiped over with the finest microfibre, even taking pics of water beading to show how good the protection is.

Meanwhile underneath in the important bits there is total neglect except for the polished plastic engine cover..;), the poor car never gets a wash down underneath after the winter's salt is gone, the wheelarches are full of salty mud, the brake pipes are corroding constantly...i just don't get it....some MB air suspension shocks are a grand apiece apparently.

Anti rust treating for us home mechs has changed over the years, we didn't need to bother too much with suspensions on old stuff, they were relatively simple and heavily made things, it was the bodies and separate or integral chassis/sills that rotted and scrapped the car.

Not saying that normal underbody suspension corrosion will scrap a car, but we can make our cars much easier and cheaper to maintain with a bit of waxoyl type stuff protecting it, everything won't be seized solid and half the bolts won't snap off causing all sorts of headaches, and you won't have the task of fitting a new brake pipe over the rear suspension which can mean dropping the whole subframe on some.

Indeed another question, does anyone bother anymore, i can understand those who buy new often not doing anything like this and obviously company car drivers.

Why do owners of long term self paid for cars not bother to look after them?
 Messages Author Date
 Dinitrol versus Waxoyl, anything else o.. new - 18 Oct 11 11:11
 Dinitrol versus Waxoyl, anything else out.. new Old Navy 18 Oct 11 11:25
 Dinitrol versus Waxoyl, anything else ou.. new - 18 Oct 11 11:41
 Dinitrol versus Waxoyl, anything else o.. new Dave 18 Oct 11 13:50
 Dinitrol versus Waxoyl, anything else .. new madf 18 Oct 11 13:59
 Dinitrol versus Waxoyl, anything els.. new - 18 Oct 11 14:49
 Dinitrol versus Waxoyl, anything el.. new Dave 18 Oct 11 15:34
 Dinitrol versus Waxoyl, anything e.. new - 18 Oct 11 15:54
 Dinitrol versus Waxoyl, anything .. new corax 18 Oct 11 17:58
 Dinitrol versus Waxoyl, anything.. new - 19 Oct 11 10:10
Latest Forum Posts