Computer Related > Home email server Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 10

Home email server - car4play
I tend to do what Smokie says. One main Mac with all the mail on it. POP3 account. All others are set not to delete mail and also use POP3. When I send from those I just BCC myself in to make sure I have a copy.

The only other way that is much cleaner than this is to use IMAP. Essentially this turns your email client into a glorified webmail app so you see the same thing on all machines. On the plus side, if you get a PC nicked you still have your mail on the server. The downside is that you do have to store it all on the server and space can be an issue. I think Gmail gives you 7GB for free, but then you have to be happy with Google storing your information.

If you want to set up your own mail server at home you will either have to have it collect mail from your internet account via POP3, or have the mail directly pushed onto it via SMTP. I understand that the former isn't that reliable with MS Exchange, but then things may have changed. The latter is the preferred way, but then you need a static IP address and your broadband has to be always available unless you use an intermediary SMTP forwarding service where they can back up your mail while you are "offline".
 Messages Author Date
 Home email server new Mike H 14 Apr 10 18:52
 Home email server new Statistical Outlier 14 Apr 10 19:16
 Home email server new smokie 14 Apr 10 21:43
 Home email server new Zero 14 Apr 10 22:04
 Home email server new BobbyG 14 Apr 10 22:15
 Home email server new smokie 15 Apr 10 08:07
 Home email server new rtj70 15 Apr 10 10:20
 Home email server new Mike H 15 Apr 10 11:28
 Home email server new car4play 15 Apr 10 11:57
 Home email server new Manatee 15 Apr 10 19:02
 Home email server new Mike H 15 Apr 10 11:31