Motoring Discussion > Dodge - 5 days with a Charger! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 3

Dodge - 5 days with a Charger! - Auntie Lockbrakes
With a name like this it was a surprise that the car wasn't electric-powered :-)

Just had 5 days in a rental Dodge Charger in Hawaii. Underwhelming at best. A deceptively large beast, with a huge boot that was handy for all SWMBO's luggage. Hopped inside to be greeted by what can be described at best as a 10-grand car's cheapo interior.

Most of the island's roads are speed-limited to 25-35 miles/hour, with just the odd stretch of open road limited to the heady heights of 55mph. So little strain on the engine then. Good job too; I'd never have believed there was a 3.5 litre 6-cylinder motor hiding in there!

Compliant ride though, and we took it up a hairpin-filled 10,000 foot volcano with no fuss or unpleasantries, or huge thirst. Petrol was US$5/gallon and I pre-paid a full tank.

All-in-all, think I'll downgrade to the next car down next time: a 2.5l Nissan Maxima which probably has a couple more endearing qualities!

By the way, since when have car hire companies created the additional insurance premium to protect against loss of car key..??! US$2/day.
 Dodge - 5 days with a Charger! - Meldrew
Since car keys became $200+ to replace?
 Dodge - 5 days with a Charger! - -
I got all excited then till i realised you got the sewing machine engine, hoping for a V8 engined beasty to envy.
 Dodge - 5 days with a Charger! - rtj70
When I was on Maui in 1999 I ended up being upgraded to a larger car than I ordered. I didn't need anything bigger than the smallest to be honest. They tried to convince me to upgrade to a convertible version of what I wanted (and charge me) but I wouldn't budge.

So I had a massive 5 seater... and driving round the narrow north part of the island had me wishing for something smaller! South part was still not all tarmac roads so I did an organised trip for that... and then bumped into the two people I sat next to in that mini/tour-bus when I visited the Statue of Liberty about 10 days later!

I'm not sure if the car I had was a GM or Ford group now... but it was very basic. And underpowered.
Latest Forum Posts