Motoring Discussion > Car insurers and accident chasers..... Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 6

Car insurers and accident chasers..... - Haywain
There was an item on the news this morning about the rising cost of accident claims, even though the number of accidents has gone down; this was put down to the activities of the claims chasing lawyers. It was perceived that all this was liable to further increase premiums - though there was a notable lack of comments from the insurance companies themselves(?)

A few months ago, I made a claim following an annoying little mishap in my wife's Focus in which I removed the passenger door mirror and put a dent in the front wing (a lorry was reversing out from between some houses whist I was doing a reverse parking manoeuvre). There was no personal injury at all - other than to my pride! I made a claim on our insurance policy and both the insurer and appointed repairers dealt with the matter very effectively. No one else was given any details, yet for a couple of months afterwards, we have received phone calls from claims chasers looking for business.

So - who would have given them our details and why? It would have to be either the insurers or the repairers - they are the only ones who knew my details.
 Car insurers and accident chasers..... - NortonES2
One point made today in the BBC news was that apparently proximity of accident hot spots to claims management companies increases costs. "BBC legal correspondent Clive Coleman said that increases in the number of claims could result in higher insurance premiums.

He added that the report builds on an earlier one from the same organisation which shows a clear correlation between injury claim hotspots and the location of claims management companies." www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18700212

We had a minor bump couple of years ago due to hit and run merchant - car parked with no-one in - settled as "no-fault" when witnesses identified the driver, luckily insured. However we were immediately chased by people offering hire cars. Declined - can do without further complications. We think it was the repairer that gave our details out.
 Car insurers and accident chasers..... - oilburner
I had a no-fault smash four years ago, dealt with by the infamous Accident Exchange (re: Darren Bent & Aston Martin for £573 a day...), all went well, and after a little more than a mere 18 months, the at-fault insurer agreed to pay Accident Exchange and I thought that was it.

Except that to this day I have been plagued by accident chasers via email and phone from at least 2 different companies, at no less than one email/phone call/sms per quarter. Each one trying to lure me in with promises of huge payouts for an injury I never sustained.

I wonder how they got my details?
 Car insurers and accident chasers..... - Ian (Cape Town)
>> I wonder how they got my details?
>>
ask them. You have a right to know, and a right to privacy.
As far as I know, selling people's details on is illegal in the UK.
In fact, as 'all our calls are recorded', then your call and demand will be on record. Then make it plain that you will take out a criminal case for harrasment against them if (a) they don't supply the details you require; and (b) if they don't inform the database holder of this, and get them to delete your details.

They'll jump through hoops to comply.
 Car insurers and accident chasers..... - John H

>> They'll jump through hoops to comply.
>>
>>

The penalty (if anyone ever gets prosecuted) for failing to comply with Data laws is laughable. Usually the toothless watchdog barks meekly at the offender and hopes that they will comply in future.

re. accident chasers - until there is a big stink (as with PPI and retail extended warranty sales) these vultures will carry on as normal.

The incentive for the Legal vultures and Insurance companies and their employees is to take part in the merry go round of injury claims is that they don't pay for the cost - the cost gets passed down and spread amongst law abiding insured motorists.

Car insurers and accident chasers..... - Ian (Cape Town)
>> The penalty (if anyone ever gets prosecuted) for failing to comply with Data laws is
>> laughable. Usually the toothless watchdog barks meekly at the offender and hopes that they will
>> comply in future.

find out the name of the company. Phone the MD at home at 3am, and explain the situation.
 Car insurers and accident chasers..... - oilburner
I like your style Ian!

Happily for me, now it's been more than 48 months since the original accident, I think it may be too late to chase the claim, so they've left me alone recently. Otherwise, I would consider what you've suggested, if only to let off steam!
Latest Forum Posts