Motoring Discussion > More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 17

More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19999762

More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? - Westpig
That's your 'left' politics for you.
 More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? - No FM2R
Oh I see this going well...

Provided it is combined with a route through the area which has a speed limit recognising that it is a through route, perhaps 40mph, then I see no issue with all the "back roads" being 20mph.

In fact I think its desirable.

The trouble is they never come up with a balanced solution.
 More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? - Armel Coussine
Even if it's legal for fat smelly leering noncy local aldermen to impose these limits, it's highly unlikely that Old Bill will bother to enforce them.

I intend to ignore them as usual.
 More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? - VxFan
>> it's highly unlikely that Old Bill will bother to enforce them.

People in Oxford thought the same until recently.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-19164974

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-19463171

More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? - Clk Sec
>>I see no issue with all the "back roads" being 20mph.

Yes, by all means bring in 20mph speed limits near schools, town centres, etc, but such a restriction over a large area could be counter productive.

And tailgaters will have a field day.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Fri 19 Oct 12 at 06:15
 More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? - R.P.
Maybe if they taught the fat idiot offspring to move a bit quicker, not waddle in the middle of the road, look up from their DS whatevers and take out their earphones from their crud encrusted lug holes it would help.
 More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? - sherlock47
More dreadful street furniture! probably a recession proof business to be in! When will the Rumanians cotton on to a ready source of scrap without the danger of pulling out live cables?

I know of a several short local culdesac off a 30mph road wherethey has signs on entry and exit! goo.gl/maps/7NWbB

Competition for the shortest signed restriction?
 More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? - madf
he number of people injured or killed on Britain's roads in 20mph zones rose by 24% in 2011, it has emerged.

tinyurl.com/9hjsy8n
 More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? - Bromptonaut
That increase would be remarkable if the mileage with a 20 limit was steady.

Against a rapidly increasing use of 20 limits they're not surprising.

The conflation of killed with seriously injured may also mislead. I was seriously injured on 3rd July in a solo tumble form my bike. Now back at work and recovered apart from slight residual limp.

Very different to losing a limb or dead.
 More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? - Old Navy
I have only seen one speed trap in a 20 zone in my area other than at a school, (in a village with a speeding problem). The school 20 limits are checked more frequently.
 More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? - R.P.
If the 20mph warning signs have black circles they're not enforcable.
 More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? - Shiny
Closing A&Es and Ambulance stations has resulted in a sudden increase in deaths, so they are using the problem they created to justify the enforcing of more restrictions on drivers as a diversion.
 More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? - Dutchie
www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-y4ytUBmEc&feature=related

A steady 180mph and still being overtaken by motorbikes.No red flag..;)
 More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? - Armel Coussine
>> steady 180mph and still being overtaken by motorbikes.No red flag..;)

Excellent. But sadly, that doesn't seem to be a 20mph limited road.
 More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? - Runfer D'Hills
There could, if common sense still existed, be a trade off. Some narrow residential streets might well be sensibly limited to 20 mph and maybe that would even be seen as acceptable if sections of dual carriageway currently limited to 50 or even 40 had their limits relaxed to 70 and quieter sections of the motorway network were eased up to 80 limits or whatever. But then that might be too logical.
 More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? - Shiny
Interestingly, most side roads I saw in Germany were 30Kph (18mph), even long straight ones.
That was in Göttingen and surrounding towns, which is a Green Party area, not sure if the rest of Germany is like that.
 More 20 mph roads. Red flags soon? - Bromptonaut
>> Interestingly, most side roads I saw in Germany were 30Kph (18mph), even long straight ones.
>> That was in Göttingen and surrounding towns, which is a Green Party area, not sure
>> if the rest of Germany is like that.

On the whole I'd say France and Germany are ahead of us. In absence of other signs in France it's 50kph from entering to leaving even the smallest village. 20kph is pretty common even on main vilage streets accompanied by pave, plantings, chicanes , multiple 'passages' and speed bumps.

But somehow it's charming when they do it.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 19 Oct 12 at 21:12
Latest Forum Posts