Motoring Discussion > Closing of Factories Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Collos Replies: 12

Closing of Factories - Collos
I am surprised nobody has mentioned the news headline that both Dagenham and Southampton Ford factories are to close.
 Closing of Factories - crocks
Some discussion here.
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=12241
 Closing of Factories - Dutchie
Seven Seas cod liver oil factory closing.And Kimberly Clark in Linconshire.Sad state of affairs.
 Closing of Factories - Zero
so everyone will get colds and wont have any tissues to wipe the snotty noses on.
Kimberly are into nappies Zero.They may fit you.>;)
 Closing of Factories - Dog
You never know what's around the corner ( as my mummy used to say) my brother contracted Colitis due to the stress of giving up smoking (don't ask) and had to wear nappies.
 Closing of Factories - Lygonos
>> my brother contracted Colitis due to the stress of giving up smoking

While this may seem nonsensical, I've seen this happen on 2 occasions, both times guys 60+ yrs old.

I think the reason is that smoking actually protects from the symptoms of ulcerative colitis (about the only condition it tends to help) and when you suddenly stop the hidden colitis can then flare up quite impressively.

Rare, but not unheard of.

p.s. if you have UC I wouldn't suggest you take up smoking as the risks still outweigh the benefits ;-)
 Closing of Factories - Dog
>> While this may seem nonsensical, I've seen this happen on 2 occasions, both times guys
60+ yrs old<<

He was about 70 at the time - been a smoker since he was 15

>> I think the reason is that smoking actually protects from the symptoms of ulcerative colitis
(about the only condition it tends to help) and when you suddenly stop the hidden
colitis can then flare up quite impressively.

Rare, but not unheard of.

p.s. if you have UC I wouldn't suggest you take up smoking as the risks
still outweigh the benefits ;-)<<

I recommended he has a few fags every day (7) ... that and the anti-inflammatory meds seem to have done the trick.
 Closing of Factories - VxFan
>> I am surprised nobody has mentioned the news headline that both Dagenham and Southampton Ford factories are to close.

Specsavers is remaining open though ;)
Specsavers buy one get one free>:)
 Closing of Factories - Bromptonaut
AIUI Dagenham remains as an engine and whatever manufacturing plant. The bit that's proposed for closure deals with metal pressings for Soton built Transits.
 Closing of Factories - Auntie Lockbrakes
At the risk of sounding cold-hearted and mercenary, if I were a (very) senior manager at Ford or GM I think I'd be looking to bite the bullet and close most or all of my European assembly plants. Give up. Bite the bullet. A tactical withdrawal, whatever. Did I read somewhere the other day that GM had lost over $15 billion in Europe over the past 15 or so years? Beggars belief. Why keep on trying?

There has to be a point where a private business must just cut their losses? They are not a charity. They'll be asking us for EU state aid soon...
 Closing of Factories - jc2
The stamping plant was the old Briggs plant.
Latest Forum Posts