Motoring Discussion > Insurance Accidents / Claims - Hints and Tips Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 4

Insurance Accidents / Claims - Hints and Tips - No FM2R
I thought it worth gathering tips from our experiences. These would be mine. Feel free to contribute.

1) Be as courteous at the accident as you would expect someone to be to your Mother/Wife/Daughter if the positions were reversed.

2) Give and get all details; name, address, reg. etc. etc. Do not be embarrassed to ask for sight of something with name & address if you are concerned.

3) If at fault, don't get all anal and worry about saying sorry. Be nice. Just don't promise to pay for anything.

4) If not at fault, take photos, draw a diagram, write notes, whatever. Take witness name and address if possible.

5) Make no decisions in haste. Far better to take time and make the right one. Better to write off the day, rather than panic about every decision making second.

6) Do not be brow beaten. You are insured, you have contractual rights. Take a claims service if it makes sense, do not be pushed. Insist on time to consider.

7) Form honest opinions about;
-Fault
-Car damage/Value
-Chances of proving it
-Character of other driver

8) Explore all options, including speaking to TP insurer.

9) Don't try and make a fast buck. It usually back fires.

10) Keep the ego in the pocket. Ignore any need to impress.

11) Keep careful records of expenditure. Keep it sensible.

12) Ask for impartial advice, me if you wish.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 20 Dec 12 at 10:18
 Insurance Accidents / Claims - Manatee
That's very good advice IMO.

I'd never miss an opportunity to grab a witness if available, even if it seems you don't need one. I've heard so many accounts of third parties at fault, apologising at the scene and then denying liability when submitting a claim - seems to be more common than ever now.

It happened to me in I think 1985. Fortunately I had written an account of the circs, with diagram, and asked the other driver to sign it. He turned to a copper who had just appeared and asked "Do I have to sign this?". The officer replied "no, but it won't make any difference - the circumstances speak for themselves". So he signed it!

I produced it some time later when the accident was alleged to be my fault.

Just remembered I have mentioned this before - it was a pretty unlikely scenario, and if somebody can deny liability in that situation then you can't take anything for granted.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=9609&m=214587
 Insurance Accidents / Claims - Falkirk Bairn
Take photos

Lots of them from a distance to show relative positions/close up to see actual damage on all cars/vans etc/ the driver's face (in case the details given are false (happened to neighbour) etc etc
 Insurance Accidents / Claims - VxFan
If you've got a smartphone, goto the AskMid and DVLA websites to check whether the car is currently insured (Askmid) and the numberplate on the car matches that of what the DVLA website tells you.

www.askmid.com

www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/enquiry?execution=e1s1

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 19 Dec 12 at 19:09
 Insurance Accidents / Claims - Robin O'Reliant
Floor it and report your car stolen (assuming it was your fault).
Latest Forum Posts