Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident.
Thread Author: Oldgit Replies: 44

Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - Oldgit
After 3+ years of practically no problems apart from creaking doors and ticking external trim, I now find that I am getting water into my boot area. First discovered this on taking out some stuff from the boot prior to taking my car into the VW dealer's bodyshop to get my plastic bumper apron undented and resprayed after being attacked by a BMW in Sainsburys' car park three weeks ago.
Prior to taking in the car, I removed my 'stuff' and found that in the right hand corner, where the spare oil storage slot is/rear light cluster, the carpet was wet and the ledge that support this part of the carpet was wet also. Of course there was some water in and around the spare wheel and this was mopped up and everything eventually dried out by bringing it indoors.
Since then, no matter how much I wash the car with hose and brush etc. the boot carpet and wheel well remains dry but if I drive the car on wet roads water seems to be entering somewhere near the light cluster or perhaps from a venting valve somewhere behind the boot trim and which is high up behind the bumper apron on the offside rear of the car.

I have now arranged to to the back to VW to see whether any unexpected damage was done when the plastic 'bumper' was compressed and damaged. In fact VW replaced it with a completely new apron and resprayed it (not a brilliant colour match in Reflex Silver, I should add). I will get them to look at the offside rear light cluster seal and that venting valve behing the boot trim, to see whether water is being forced in there. Also whether any seam has sprung a leak.
Does anyone here have any similar problems with leaks here and what has caused them?
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - MJM
Three points that may apply.
1 The rear screen washer pipe may have become detached or split.
2 The waterproof membrane on the tailgate may be split or have been breached.
3 They may have disturbed/detached a bung somewhere when they replaced the bumper.
>> Three points that may apply.
>> 1 The rear screen washer pipe may have become detached or split.
>> 2 The waterproof membrane on the tailgate may be split or have been breached.
>> 3 They may have disturbed/detached a bung somewhere when they replaced the bumper.
>>
1) Water in not coloured green/yellow as my washer fluid is etc.
2) What waterproof membrane?
3) Water was entering prior to bumper replacement but after accident to rear offside/corner contact with bumper/apron.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - Clk Sec
I had a similar issue with my LHB when someone gave me a bit of a shunt. I could wash the car without any problems, but as soon as I did some motoring in the wet, water would get into the boot area.

I'm not certain exactly what the dealer's authorised bodyshop did, but it was satisfactorily resolved after being returned to them twice. And it is still fully waterproof several years later.

Back to VW, would be my advice.
>> I had a similar issue with my LHB when someone gave me a bit of
>> a shunt. I could wash the car without any problems, but as soon as I
>> did some motoring in the wet, water would get into the boot area.
>>
>> I'm not certain exactly what the dealer's authorised bodyshop did, but it was satisfactorily resolved
>> after being returned to them twice. And it is still fully waterproof several years later.
>>
>> Back to VW, would be my advice.
>>

What's your LHB?

It is going back to the bodyshop on 14th Jan.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - DP
If it's not happening when sprayed, but is when driving in the wet, it could be a leak via a wheelarch or area just behind, and it's the spray being flung off the tyre that is getting in the boot.

Have you directed the hose / jetwash inside the wheelarch, or underneath just behind it?
>> If it's not happening when sprayed, but is when driving in the wet, it could
>> be a leak via a wheelarch or area just behind, and it's the spray being
>> flung off the tyre that is getting in the boot.
>>
>> Have you directed the hose / jetwash inside the wheelarch, or underneath just behind it?
>>

No, I haven't actually performed that operation myself but may try it over the Christmas break when then there's little else to do!
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - ....
I had a Peugeot 206 which started letting water in the boot. The car had not been rear ended however it did start leaking around the rear offside light cluster.
I had the old cluster off a few times could not see any obvious reason for water coming in, a new rear cluster fixed it.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - Armel Coussine
I had an accident once in the centre of Bath and both my boots filled with water. My mother wasn't best pleased.

:o}
Nothing so painful as one's clusters getting damaged.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - maltrap
My pal had a problem with his Golf, it was caused (i think) by an air vent behind the rear bumper that was part of the through flow ventillation system that was faulty and letting in water. This was replaced which fixed the problem.
>> My pal had a problem with his Golf, it was caused (i think) by an
>> air vent behind the rear bumper that was part of the through flow ventillation system
>> that was faulty and letting in water. This was replaced which fixed the problem.
>>

And that is exactly the air vent I was referring to in my original posting above. By pulling away some of the boot trim (I can't manage it all through fear of permanent damage) I can just about see some slatted vent and some water lying below it.
I'll just have to wait and see and expect that the bumper will have to be removed for a thorough investigation of this vent and its functioning, at my expense.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - Baz
This from a VW forum.............................

Next day I found a small puddle again. I removed the trim as much as possible and found small drips coming from under a vent which is behind the bumper. The water was collecting then running down through a gap in the panels and collecting on the floor (see pic). I took the car to VW where one of the technicians had a look and said they have had this before where they replaced/resealed the vent. (The bumper has to be removed to do this)

Sounds like your problem?

Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - Alastairw
ISTR the op has one of the rare sunroof equipped golfs. Could this be a reason?

I ask because I had a Fiesta that was always soaking its boot carpet. After checking various seals I had a proper under body wash which cleared a blocked sunroof drain, and the carpet remained dry for the remainder of my ownership.
>> This from a VW forum.............................
>>
>> Next day I found a small puddle again. I removed the trim as much as
>> possible and found small drips coming from under a vent which is behind the bumper.
>> The water was collecting then running down through a gap in the panels and collecting
>> on the floor (see pic). I took the car to VW where one of the
>> technicians had a look and said they have had this before where they replaced/resealed the
>> vent. (The bumper has to be removed to do this)
>>
>> Sounds like your problem?
>>
>>
>>

That's my best bet. Would live to know which VW forum, though especially with that picture.
I do have a sunroof but don't think that's the culprit.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - Manatee
www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=146433.0
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - idle_chatterer
We have the first 'problem' with ours - the rear cup holder has disintegrated...... I reassembled the 4 or 5 intricate parts but I can't figure out how to re-fit it, a trip to the dealer some time I guess.

Otherwise so-far, so-good but then again 1500miles and 3 months isn't much of a test.
>> We have the first 'problem' with ours - the rear cup holder has disintegrated...... I
>> reassembled the 4 or 5 intricate parts but I can't figure out how to re-fit
>> it, a trip to the dealer some time I guess.
>>
>> Otherwise so-far, so-good but then again 1500miles and 3 months isn't much of a test.
>>
>>

I'd exchange that, for a water leak any day!!!
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - DP
>> We have the first 'problem' with ours - the rear cup holder has disintegrated...... I
>> reassembled the 4 or 5 intricate parts but I can't figure out how to re-fit
>> it, a trip to the dealer some time I guess.

Blimey, this was happening on mk4s a decade ago. You would have thought they'd have got the cupholder sorted by now.

I clearly remember the fourth or fifth time I opened the front cupholder on my old GTI. Remember the telly advert with the guys in white coats opening and closing the tray of an expensive looking CD player? That's what I expected. What I got was a small jerk, a little shudder and an alarming sound of creaking plastic. The thing then disassembled itself into a kit of small cogs and springs in front of my disbelieving eyes.

It would have made a great "Fail" video had I caught it on camera.
>> www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=146433.0
>>

Thanks for that but the picture isn't there any more - shame!
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - Fenlander
Any good... uk-mkvs.net/forums/p/430275/3376349.aspx

Scroll about halfway down to Oct 12th post. Pics with bumper off. Is that the grille you have?
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - alfalfa
My wife's Golf V always seemed to have more condensation on its rear windows than other cars we have had. It was about three years old when I decided to check the pressure on the spare tyre. I found a rather damp jack and tool kit but no obvious source for the ingress of water. Main dealer fixed it without question and we have had no problems since.

I'm sorry I have no idea what they did but I got the feeling it was a known problem.

alfal;fa
>> Any good... uk-mkvs.net/forums/p/430275/3376349.aspx
>>
>> Scroll about halfway down to Oct 12th post. Pics with bumper off. Is that the
>> grille you have?
>>

Yes, from what I can just about see, it's similar. At the base of my boot trim on right hand side, is a plastic holder for a spare can of topup oil and can't see a way of removing that in order to see more of said vent. Anyway I'm too old and creaky to do that sort of work nowadays - 40 years ago, yes
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - rtj70
>> Yes, from what I can just about see, it's similar.

The Mark 6 Golf was a mildly revised mark 5 Golf. So it would be similar. Changes mostly made to improve profits because of how long the mark 5 took to assemble. But if you've got it booked in to be looked at I'm not sure I'd fiddle about too much as you might make it worse.

Rather like the bigger mark 7 Golf and could see that as a serious contender for the next car. But just read a review of the next Octavia and that looks a contender too - a better looking car than the current Octavia for sure. And a huge boot too. And a hatchback (although might not have a rear wiper from the photos I've seen).
>> >> Yes, from what I can just about see, it's similar.
>>
>> The Mark 6 Golf was a mildly revised mark 5 Golf. So it would be
>> similar. Changes mostly made to improve profits because of how long the mark 5 took
>> to assemble. But if you've got it booked in to be looked at I'm not
>> sure I'd fiddle about too much as you might make it worse......................................
>>

Take it from me, I'm am not going to fiddle about. I was just trying to do a bit of detective work to perhaps save them time. I don't know what VW's hourly labour charges are but I would think that I will have to foot the bill unless it can be included or appnded to the original insurance claim although 50/50 knock for knock applied. I don't mind paying anything to get this annoyance sorted as it's spoiling my enjoyment of this super car at the moment.
However, I am interested in the new MK7 although the favoured model, the SE has some awful bright metallic fascia trim and all have those e-brakes now and Auto Hold Assist - Yukkk!
The interior photos of the new Octavia show it to have a normal handbrake. It looks a good car. I will seriously consider it.

I'm not put off by the electronic handbrake - I have one now. And if it goes wrong it will be under warranty. If it was my car and out of warranty then that might be a different opinion from me. But it won't go out of warranty when I have it, and it's not my car either.

Something else on electronic parking brakes. On my VW, you don't seem to be able to release it with the ignition off. Not really bothered looking into it, but is there a way to release it without the keyfob thingummy in the ignition? Could be seen as enhanced security if you can't. But there is probably an emergency release in case you have a flat battery and need to be towed.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 22 Dec 12 at 12:16
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - henry k
>>But there is probably an emergency release in case you have a flat battery and need to be towed.

These clever ideas are not thought through.

Just been reading up on how to overide the auto box if it gets stuck.
On my old Mondeo it was just poke a small screwdriver in the hole on the centre console.
Now its not mentioned "The Owners de" but I would need to remove the gear lever surround trim and poke a little disk............

I like to to understand what is required if my car needs recovering and thus try to prevent more damage being done in the process.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - pug3

I read that to renew the rear brake pads on a car with an electronic parking brake, the ECU has to be set to “service mode”, then reset after the pads have been changed. Another simple job that now has to be done by a franchised dealer?
>>
>> I read that to renew the rear brake pads on a car with an electronic
>> parking brake, the ECU has to be set to “service mode”, then reset after the
>> pads have been changed. Another simple job that now has to be done by a
>> franchised dealer?
>>
>>

All this beggars belief, doesn't it? Each rear caliper assembly having its own whirring little tensioning motor to be set accurately to ensure that the car doesn't start running forward or backwards. Another potentially difficult job for the franchised dealer's 'fitter' or mechanic to get their head around especially if time is of the essense at £100 per hour, more or less.
On the VW, I'm not sure the parking brake uses the rear brakes as such. Certainly uses a worm gear to engage the parking brake. You can use the EPB to slow/stop the car in an emergency if the brakes have failed.

So when the worm gear is not engaged, the EPB is not on. Certainly possible to stop the car, switch the engine off and get out without the EPB automatically engaging. In certain circumstances it would engage when you take off your seatbelt (the driver) or turn off the ignition.

And to answer my own question about releasing the EPB on a VW with a flat battery... you can't. You need to use jump leads. I read that page of the handbook earlier when I went out.
Oh dear, some of theorising about water ingress has changed somewhat, as today after torrential rain and very gusty winds, I have found water again where expected BUT the car has just been standing on my drive since Wednesday and has not been driven on wet roads. This hardly indicates water coming in via that vent behind the bumper apron, does it?
Will get the hose out on the next dry day and put a watering gun on the end and spray water more forcefully around the light cluster and then work up along the line of the hatchback lid on the right hand side.
Just spent 2 weeks trying to find a leak in the boot area of the Focus, sealed just about everything and it was still coming in. Finally traced the leak using coloured water in a 4 pint milk carton with a hole in the top, isolated each area and worked from the roof down. Believe it or not, the leak was around the tailgate hinge flange onto the roof, the tiniest of gaps in the welded seam. The interesting thing is that it took about 10 mins for the water to appear in the boot itself.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - Number_Cruncher
In my experience, it's best to strip all of the trim from the affected area, and sit in the car watching carefully whilst an assistant sprays the outside of the car gently from a hosepipe. It's not a job to be paying for by the hour - much better to DIY.

I have dealt with some common faults - for example, the robot in the factory which applied the sealant to the rear screens on Vauxhall Belmonts used to miss a couple of inches in the middle of the top edge. However, more general faults are more difficult and time consuming.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - henry k
>> In my experience, it's best to strip all of the trim from the affected area,
>> and sit in the car watching carefully whilst an assistant sprays the outside of the
>> car gently from a hosepipe.
>> It's not a job to be paying for by the hour - much better to DIY.
>>
Too expensive to pay SWMBO to do that task:-)

My Mondeo was letting water into the spare wheel well but it was inconsistent.
Pouring with rain did not seem to cause it.
Lots on the web about leaks around lights ( but mine was a saloon with the fat lights.
I Identified a dribble from the base of the light so sealed everything I could think off and no improvement.
Eventually I found it was a horizontal seam a third of the way between the lights and the rear window that was letting water in that then went to the top of the lights and then down from there..
Glad it was a DIY job.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - Number_Cruncher
>>Too expensive to pay SWMBO to do that task:-)

Yes, water leaks are a serious PITA!

I've recently sorted our Astra H - door membranes, and a leaking speaker housing - SWMBO thought I was bonkers asking her to soak the car while I ferreted around inside!

One useful rule of thumb - if the water is clean, it's coming from above - if there's any dirt in the water, it's coming up from the road, so, look underneath.
Have used the hose and a garden watering gun on forced jet mode and have hosed selected areas of the rear of the car around the hatchback door and rear lights.

Started with the left hand side - nothing. Did the same of the right hand side where bumper apron was hit and stretched, so to speak and when I looked in boot, after a few minutes, water had started oozing out of base of side boot trim below light cluster - this was my first thoughts several weeks ago!

Doesn't seem like that boot vent now, does it, high up under the bumper apron and protected from water from above?
Well more work with the hose and pulling away some boot trim shows that water IS coming in via the boot vent's surround seal with the bodywork. It comes in when driven on wet roads BUT also come into the boot when water is pourd on top of my RHS light cluster's black moulding where water can get behind this moulding and then presumbly drops onto the vent.
QED.
I'll chat with the bodyshop next week prior to taking it in on 14th Jan but the bumper apron will have to be removed to rectify this vent or vent seal failure. The impact obviously cause this malfunction, I would think.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - Bigtee
Can you block this vent temporarily with masking tape etc just to stop the flood till you can sort it.

We fix trains with masking tape the drivers hate it. :-)
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - Fullchat
Does that explain why the East Coast mainline was closed down last week die to a breakdown? :)
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - Zero
Cant fix a steam train with masking tape.
NO. For reasons better known to VW, the right hand boot trim won't come away with the force I'm prepared to exert on it. That is the only way, without removing bumper that anything could be done from inside. The vent, from what I can see of it's construction and fitting has to be inserted from the outside of the car and the apron will have to be removed or partly separated to do this.
Frankly, I am chuffed at sorting out the source, which will reduce labour charges and am quite satisfied for the 'experts' now to rectify it. I don't like to knock VW but the designers weren't too clever here with the placing of that vent were they?
At least I can relax over the Christmas break, now.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Water in my boot after accident. - Zero
you *think* you have found the source. Often water finds its way along many a strange route.
I see your point but when I can see it coming in around the vent then there is very little doubt I would have thought. The vent is a push fit from the outside and has a synthetic gasket or seal which isn't visible from the inside so much. Of course how the water gets there can be somewhat difficult to assess but the water IS coming in around the vent.
Well done OG, make sure those nice people down at VW don't start adding on labour at £90 quid an hour looking for that leak. That's why I spent the last 2 weekends upside down in the boot of our Focus!
>> Well done OG, make sure those nice people down at VW don't start adding on
>> labour at £90 quid an hour looking for that leak. That's why I spent the
>> last 2 weekends upside down in the boot of our Focus!
>>

Thanks. I going to the garage next week to see the people who run the bodyshop and tell them what I have found so that when I take it in at my appointed time with courtesy car on the 14th Jan, they don't have to waste too much time looking - just doing it!
Latest Forum Posts