Motoring Discussion > Tipper truck hits tunnel roof Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 12

Tipper truck hits tunnel roof - henry k
tinyurl.com/nam43kz

An unusual event.
Pat. Any observations about this?
 Tipper truck hits tunnel roof - VxFan
Is it just the camera angle or is that lorry crabbing at the start of the video clip?
 Tipper truck hits tunnel roof - Focusless
>> Is it just the camera angle or is that lorry crabbing

I think it's more the angle of the (raised) trailer?
 Tipper truck hits tunnel roof - Pat
I'm not familiar with Aussie trucks Henry but the tipper trailers I've used have needed pressure to be kept on the switch for the trailer to continue to rise.

That was many years ago now and could have changed though but with the UK attention to H&S I would doubt it.

I can't imagine it could have been anything other than an accident though, he was very lucky to get away uninjured himself.

I thought that too VX.

Pat
 Tipper truck hits tunnel roof - henry k
Thanks Pat.
I too would expect a let go to stop switch.
 Tipper truck hits tunnel roof - Duncan
Further down in that report - "a B double truck was stopped carrying 13 times its legal maximum" - what's a B double truck?
 Tipper truck hits tunnel roof - crocks
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-Train
 Tipper truck hits tunnel roof - RichardW
Similar happened here a few years ago...

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/tayside_and_central/6385189.stm
 Tipper truck hits tunnel roof - Ted

Oh deer...they're all at it, Comrades !

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE8Q4Z9C7xA

Ted
 Tipper truck hits tunnel roof - zippy
A little more local!

tinyurl.com/n88ce8r
 Tipper truck hits tunnel roof - R.P.
He has my sympathy !
 Tipper truck hits tunnel roof - Harleyman
Not only would you have to keep your hand on the lever, but you'd also need to have the PTO (Power Take Off) engaged in order to raise the body. On most modern UK vehicles this would show up a warning light in the cab, and there'd be another to indicate that the body was raised, sometimes accompanied by a buzzer.

Like Pat I'm not familiar with the legislation in Australia, but I suspect the driver is being economical with the truth.

A bit of journalistic licence about the B-train carrying 13 times its legal weight. At a guess that would mean it was carrying over 300 tonnes, doubt the tyres would hack it never mind the engine!
Last edited by: Harleyman on Thu 14 Nov 13 at 19:22
 Tipper truck hits tunnel roof - zookeeper
its a shame the towed trailor was sheeted it would of copped for most of the debris
Latest Forum Posts