Motoring Discussion > Oops Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BiggerBadderDave Replies: 9

Oops - BiggerBadderDave
Slightly annoying, I just rolled over a kid's bike. I went to pick up the boy from a neighbour's house where he and 3 other boys were playing. I pulled up a metre before the bike in front and the neighbour came to talk to me about something and I turned the engine off. I meant to reverse into her drive and head off in the opposite direction but as she chatted it became apparent I had to run an errand and I set off forward. As the little bike was out of view, lying half pavement/half road it was a kind of 'out of sight, out of mind' situation. There was a lot of crunching - the light was squashed flat, the saddle thing was unrecognisable and the wheel was wonky and wouldn't turn. The bike belongs to a much younger gang member so I could have it repaired for a few quid or at the very worst it'll cost me about seventy squids or so for a new one. Or I could replace it with my boy's last bike which is bigger and has gears and is hanging in the garage.

Poor mite was devastated as I watched him drag the wreckage off to his house. Time to meet the little feller's parents and confess. Better if call in early when the husband is out and the housewife hasn't dressed. Every cloud's got a silver lining, as David Essex sang.
 Oops - Armel Coussine
>> Better if call in early when the husband is out and the housewife hasn't dressed.

Only if she's a bike, surely?

If it can be made respectable the nipper will probably be pleased with yr son's grander bike. However he sounds a bit young and insouciant, leaving his bike lying in the road like that.
 Oops - Runfer D'Hills
How good are your Polish language skills? or will it be a case of you sounding like you're saying -

" Gud moaning, I was just peesing pist your door when I thatched that I shad tell you about walt I diddled to your child's vehuckle. I wad lack to repair you and of course your headlights"
 Oops - J Bonington Jagworth
>> Better if call in early when the husband is out and the housewife hasn't dressed.

Not so good if he works nights and it's the other way round.. :-(

I did smile at your bike joke, though, AC. I always approve of political incorrectness.
 Oops - Dog
>>as David Essex sang.

Musta bin a rare event that then, because I've never heard him sing.
 Oops - BiggerBadderDave
Funny how our cul-de-sac was built. As almost every house was completed, a young couple moved in and they started having babies. So after a couple of years, you were carefully driving around countless prams and buggies. Another two years, everywhere you look there are tricycles, then mini-bikes with stabilisers. Now it's bikes all over the place as they ride from house to house to play on lap-tops and tablets. Especially in the summer, before I reverse I have to declutter my driveway of bikes (including mine and my wfe's occasionally). I wonder what will happen when all the kids go to university or leave home at the same time. Slightly depressing.
 Oops - Armel Coussine
They'll come home when they're hungry in collapsing illegal jalopies which you as a responsible parent will have to repair.

I'm a bit offended no one has applauded my bike joke. Dumbass mofos the lot of you.
 Oops - Westpig
>> I wonder what will happen when all the kids go to university or leave
>> home at the same time. Slightly depressing.
>>

Think of all the chav mobile's turning up 'en masse' and revving their engines through after market exhausts...just when you are at your grumpiest...;-)
 Oops - Bromptonaut
>> Funny how our cul-de-sac was built. As almost every house was completed, a young couple
>> moved in and they started having babies. So after a couple of years, you were
>> carefully driving around countless prams and buggies.

Ours was same except most of the first occupants had already had the babies. Of twelve offspring around top of cul de sac only two were born here.

Last of the first generation, a toddler in nappies when we all moved in, passed her driving test last week. She's 18 any day now and will presumably be off to Uni this autumn. That will be four empty nests.

While they're at Uni few can afford cars. Parents role is collecting them from stations or, by end of final year, hiring a van to collect their kit.

When they're in first jobs etc they start turning up in cars, more so once Grandkids come along.

Hazard then is cars parked carelessly so babes in arms/toddlers can easily get to Granny's house - see my Reporting Near Misses thread.
 Oops - Alastairw
My grandfather was a farm labourer, and usually cycled to work on his old fashioned 'sit up and beg' cycle. One day he cycled home for lunch, but as the weather was looking thundery for the afternoon decided to drive back to the farm. His bike was never the same after reversing his Morris 1800 over it...
Latest Forum Posts