Motoring Discussion > illegal use of the hard shoulder to bypass a queue Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 8

illegal use of the hard shoulder to bypass a queue - henry k
Over the years I have been fortunate in not getting stuck in big snarl ups on motorways.
Yesterday early afternoon I got stuck on the M25 due to two outer lanes being blocked by an accident.
While waiting and slowly shuffling towards the next exit quite a few vehicles blasted down the hard shoulder thus overtaking the queue, I assume aiming for the next exit.
I would be astounded if they had some exemption, were Q cars or rushing to hospital etc. as they were a motley collection of vehicles.

My obvious thoughts were " I hope they get nicked!" but I did notice cameras on poles which I assume video the traffic flow. Are these chancers likely to get a brown envelope tomorrow morning?

Fortunately my son was able to use Google traffic info etc to plot a traffic free route to bypass the whole snarl up.
We obviously lost time but we had the best facilities to deal with it ( but should have checked earlier in the trip). The vast majority sat it out when there was an easy bypass route.

I was very impressed with the capabilities of the web in these circumstances.
 illegal use of the hard shoulder to bypass a queue - Armel Coussine
When there was a silly queue, wouldn't anyone, even at the cost of a bit of scuffling and hustling further on?

If you can't beat them join them hk.

:o}
 illegal use of the hard shoulder to bypass a queue - Slidingpillar
On more than one occasion, I've seen the police book the miscreants. And don't think the rest of the traffic will let you back in when you see the police.

"I was doing an illegal manoeuvre and the car I hit wasn't aiding and abetting me" is not going to go down very well with the insurance company.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Mon 28 Jul 14 at 09:18
 illegal use of the hard shoulder to bypass a queue - CGNorwich
A bit like illegal parking really. It's only possible because the law abiding majority obey the rules. If everyone starts doing it chaos ensues.
 illegal use of the hard shoulder to bypass a queue - VxFan
>> My obvious thoughts were " I hope they get nicked!"

My obvious thoughts are "I hope they get a puncture from all the debris littering the hard shoulder".
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 28 Jul 14 at 10:30
 illegal use of the hard shoulder to bypass a queue - Cliff Pope
There was an experiment a few years ago to make it legal in order to speed up traffic flow.
What was the outcome?
 illegal use of the hard shoulder to bypass a queue - Manatee
That is in effect what happens on the M42 with lane management. At peak hours the hard shoulder is in use and the matrix sign will say it's for the next junction only.

I suspect some people will dip in and out of it if the other lanes are congested but that is itself less likely if local traffic is on the H/S.
 illegal use of the hard shoulder to bypass a queue - helicopter
Must have been late 70's I got caught in a massive queue of some 4 miles coming from Wales towards the Severn Bridge and was passed by a car on the hard shoulder.....

Some half an hour later after a long crawl we came across the same car still on the hard shoulder sitting behind a police car .

One of those YESSSS ! moments...
 illegal use of the hard shoulder to bypass a queue - Pat
>>One of those YESSSS ! moments...<<

The wanderer returns!

Pat
Latest Forum Posts