Motoring Discussion > Volvo V70 - New Car report
Thread Author: Slightlyfatdirector Replies: 24

Volvo V70 - New Car report - Slightlyfatdirector
Well, at last my new V70 arrived last week. 4 1/2 months from date of order, and a few weeks earlier than scheduled.

I was originally quite dismissive of the V70, looking for something a little more stylish or possibly 4WD, and certainly more modern, but considering the use for this as a mile-munching company car for the next 6+ years, I ended up reluctantly considering it. After a test-drive I was impressed enough, and as you will see, at the discount I got it was a no-brainer.

The omens were not good when I went to collect it as it was a wet dreary miserable day, after a run of hot summer days before and after, but it seems I had little to worry about.

It has the new D4 engine - something that will be the standard for all new Volvo's in due course for all markets - being a 2.0 diesel with twin turbo's and 181hp. Alongside a 2.0 petrol this will eventually be the only engine platform for all Volvo's with either turbo/s and superchargers, and also potentially electric motors and will replace all the other engines they make.

I am gently running it in, but it seems smooth and powerful with a bit of character to it, although it does not have that lovely 'thrum' of the 5 cylinder that used to be in my old S60.

The V70 looks like a relatively small car when seen on the road, but it is actually about 6" wider than the BMW 520d Touring it has replaced, so I am glad to have front and rear parking sensors! It is quite a bit taller too.

I got it from the local Volvo dealer after they matched the 27.5% discount offered by DrivetheDeal (over a £10k discount). It is the SE Lux spec with the new 8-speed Geartronic auto 'box and I added 'Premium sound', front parking sensors, 'flappy paddles' and a proper spare wheel instead of a compressor kit, and the Winter pack (heated seats and windscreen).

It must be said that I am pleasantly surprised with the car as a whole. I wanted to avoid BMW after a bad experience with the last one I had, Merc's don't do it for me, nor do Audi's and there was nothing that jumped out at me as a suitable alternative.

It drives very nicely, has good and pliant suspension, but you can 'feel' what the car is doing. It has a big boot which is completely flat when the seats are folded, and that operation is a piece of cake. Had a flat-pack wardrobe in it on the first day with no problems.

It has an automatic / electric tailgate too which is handy. My daughter has yet to 'bed-in' the rear seats, and says they are a bit uncomfortable, but being a teenager she doesn't sit properly anyway........

Driver's seat is really comfortable and supportive.

Gearbox is smooth, seamless and seems to always be in the right gear, although moving of briskly from a standing start (out of a side-road, or at a roundabout for example) is not as sharp as it would be in a manual.

Economy-wise for the first 700 or so miles we are at about 45mpg which for an auto seems OK. I have not got the calculator out to check it's accuracy, but will do so at the next fill.

The whole electric 'system' (Sensus connect) scares the whatsits out of me, but I am slowly getting used to all it does. The TFT screen instead of dials is a revelation, with changeable screens to change the look and what is displayed - certainly has a 'wow-factor'.

I now have internet access in the car too tethered to my mobile which may be helpful one-day...

Annoyances? A few. There is nothing to stick the fuel cap onto whilst re-fuelling, so it just dangles there being blown around. The Harman Kardon sound system - whilst good - does not feel that all 650w of power is there and the rear parking sensors go from "you are a long way away from that wall" to "stop!!!!" with little warning. It is very wide so judging it's width is taking a little longer than expected, and picking the correct parking space takes a little more thought. I can't get my phone's 'contact's directory accessible at the moment, but that might be something a nice person at Volvo can do for me.

Turning circle is fine, road and wind noise on the motorway is very low - better than the BM, and overall I am very pleased.

Whilst this car is expected to be replaced with the V90 in 2016, this remains a thoroughly decent alternative to the 'usual suspects'. I have always liked to be a little different to everyone else, and this therefore suits me well.

Whilst the discounts are so hefty (only on the SE Nav and SE Lux spec's for some reason) it makes this a luxury car at mainstream pricing. Certainly it was a lot cheaper than a similarly specc'ed Superb for example. The kit-level is very impressive for the money too.

No doubt the next few thousand miles will throw up other observations, but in the meantime I am a happy bunny, and would certainly suggest that others at least consider it when looking to replace their current vehicle. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Volvo V70 - New Car report - WillDeBeest
Sounds delightful, SFD. I hope it serves you well.

My enthusiasm for the V70 - and especially its interior design and ambiance - is on record here, but I've not driven one since the 11-plate D3 auto that Mrs Beest so vituperatively dismissed, leading us to buy the LEC instead. That car's two faults from a driver's point of view were that it didn't choose gears very well - although it made it very pleasant and easy for me to select my own - and that the vague steering made it hard to place on a twisty road. I'd be interested to know whether three years of development have addressed either of those.
 Volvo V70 - New Car report - idle_chatterer
Interesting write up, would certainly encourage me to look at a V70. 181PS doesn't seem 'very much' for a twin turbo, I assume this is unstressed, economy looks promising I would say.

How do you find FWD? I must confess that after my BMW (a 330d touring) I haven't really 'liked' FWD quite as I once did (when I'd argue that I knew no better). 181PS (and I assume plenty of torque) is the upper end for FWD without trick differentials isn't it ?
 Volvo V70 - New Car report - NortonES2
Oldsmobile made a 7 litre FWD car in the 60's. 385bhp, 475 lb. ft. No LSD fitted, although the maker had tried various designs but they were rejected. "Motor" road test 1966.
 Volvo V70 - New Car report - Boxsterboy
>> 181PS doesn't seem
>> 'very much' for a twin turbo,
>>

It's the same as my 2.0 twin turbo VW diesel. The twin turbos are more to help lower emissions whilst retaining reasonable performance, than outright performance as such.
Well, I am still being a little gentle with the right foot but on the couple of occasions I have given it a prod there is plenty of power. It's the torque rather than power with these things I think. As I understand it the first turbo spins up the power whilst the second turbo gets into it's stride so there is little or no turbo lag. I think mine has 400Ncm (as opposed to the 350 in the 520d I had before).

The next engine up is the D5 with 215hp with 440Ncm in the auto and 420 in the manual. This was a tempting proposition, and my initial plan was to go for the D5 Manual, and then I drove a D4 Auto (older 5 cylinder 2.0 engine and 6-speed auto) and was really impressed with the drive, and started thinking about the auto box as an option I would never have considered before.

At this point they launched the 2015 model-year car with this newer, cleaner, greener and more efficient engine (less Co2 than the 1.6 engine) and the better economy figures for the company, and tax figure for me with the D4 (despite the auto box) swung it for me.

It was a bit of a gamble that the engine / gearbox combination would be OK as you read all sorts of stories about mis-matches, and boxes 'hunting' or revving too high / too long, etc, but I appear to have had nothing to worry about.

I have yet to take it for a 'proper' bendy drive (from Chester across the beautiful central Wales down to Swansea will be it's proper test in due course....), and the only thing I would say about the handling and steering so far is that whilst a little less steering feel is there than in the BM, it is not imprecise or vague and goes where it's pointed. The car feels quite tall when you are in it (a little like you are sat on it rather than in it, if you know what I mean, and there is a little more lean, but it feels planted enough.

Very quiet at speed with a drive from East Sussex to south Devon and back recently being a very civil affair. Ride is good - not to hard or soft.

As to going from RWD to FWD, it is probably too early to say. I never considered the difference much when I went from only ever having driven FWD cars 'til the BM, and the transition was fine, although any ice / snow made me curse the BM and it's 'perfect' 50/50 weight distribution (great on a racetrack, carp on the road imho), even with winter rubber.

Now I have some decent weight over the driven wheels I think I will be a happier bunny in the same conditions.

Also the BM aqua-planed for a pastime (frighteningly so at times), and I hope this will be better.

Exiting a fast bend in a 'spirited' fashion was good fun in the BM, when you could floor the right foot and know the car would just bite and go, but then I also had a few 'moments' in the wet on greasy roads when you could just feel the back stepping out before the TC would cut in and the car would rock about back to a steady drive again. In a FWD car you would start to feel the front wash-out a bit and instantly adjust power / steering input from memory. Which ones better for me in the real word, time will tell once I have more miles under the wheels.

Volvo V70 - New Car report - Avant
Out of interest, SFD, what persuaded you to go for the V70 rather than the V60? The V60 is a much newer design - the V70 is an evolution of the old 850 - but I suspect it was either more space or better discounts, or both.

I've often come close to buying a Volvo, and I think I'd have liked it if I had: but they seem to have increased prices to BMW / Audi / Mercedes territory, and I'm not convinced that a Volvo will hold its value as well as those.
 Volvo V70 - New Car report - ....
>> Out of interest, SFD, what persuaded you to go for the V70 rather than the
>> V60? The V60 is a much newer design - the V70 is an evolution of
>> the old 850
- but I suspect it was either more space or better discounts,
>> or both.
>>
Is it ? Volvo will be disappointed to hear that. The current V70, V60, S80, S60 all share the same platform. They also now share the same dashboard design. The V60 and S60 were the last to be added.

>> I've often come close to buying a Volvo, and I think I'd have liked it
>> if I had: but they seem to have increased prices to BMW / Audi /
>> Mercedes territory, and I'm not convinced that a Volvo will hold its value as well
>> as those.
>>
Does that really matter after 6+ years and 200,000+ miles? Everything will be worn shiney and worth very little regardless of the badge by that stage.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 1 Aug 14 at 08:02
 Volvo V70 - New Car report - WillDeBeest
Not sure about Gmac's family situation but the new S60 and V60 really don't cut it as family cars; once you've got two adults in the front there's really not much room left. To be honest, even the V70 isn't huge inside - one reason we chose an E instead and are looking forward to the new V90, hoping that will be a return to the cavernous Volvos of old.
>> Not sure about Gmac's family situation but the new S60 and V60 really don't cut
>> it as family cars; once you've got two adults in the front there's really not
>> much room left.
>>
I was actually impressed by the extra legroom available in the back of the current S60 over the previous P2 model which was a bit tight. The extra legroom has come at the cost of boot space though. I am only 5' 11" and have size 9 shoes so I should really have a booster seat to play with the grown ups toys ;-)

When we travel as a family (2 adults + 2 children - one in a booster seat) for anything longer than a weekend we have a 500l roofbox which goes onto the car. Then there is the people carrier, or shed as it's known, for everything else.

We have occasionally required the roofbox on top of the 7 seater from time to time therefore having a smaller capacity car has the advantage, for me, of limiting the amount of "stuff" we end up carrying.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 1 Aug 14 at 11:19
>>Out of interest, SFD, what persuaded you to go for the V70 rather than the V60? The V60 >>is a much newer design - the V70 is an evolution of the old 850 - but I suspect it was >>either more space or better discounts, or both.

The V60 is significantly smaller overall, not as small as the V50 was, but more Focus-estate-sized, rather than Mondeo-estate-size if that makes sense.

Rear legroom in the V70 is about on a par with the 5-series, and though the seat-bases in the V70 are a little shorter both front and rear.

I agree, hopefully the V90 will be bigger still, as there are people like me who want a BIG car, but not a van, but the combination of discount, kit and running costs swung it for the V70.

The likes of BMW, Audi, Merc etc will indeed probably hold their value better - even in the long-term - but I have off-set that considerably by the initial discount which would have been impossible in the equivalent version of car they offer, so in the long run I think it will be much of a muchness.

The V70 was not on my short-list for a car full stop. When the current 'base car' came out in 2007 (it has had two face-lifts since) I looked at one inside and out and just didn't like it.

Circumstances made me at least consider it, and the interior has been well and truly revamped, and the 2015 mods (including a superb 3D satnav by the way) make it a much more attractive car, hence me wanting to 'spread the word'.

Certainly the new Sensus system and TFT screen make it more 'car with a computer and tech' inside, rather than the '07 version that was still just a 'car with a CD player' so to speak.

I sat in a V60 the other day, and whilst not tiny, it is still that inch or two smaller everywhere. It was a nice place to sit though.
 Volvo V70 - New Car report - rtj70
>> The V60 is significantly smaller overall

When I looked at the V60 back in 2011 I was surprised how small it was. Not that I need anything bigger. But I didn't like the interior. Exterior was quite nice.

I know someone who looked at the XC60. Coming from a BMW X3, there were simple things he didn't think were as simple to select in the XC60. There's someone getting used to iDrive I suppose. But these were things in most cars were a button selection away.... So despite issues with the X3 that is going back.... he's getting another X3. With more options. And paying less for it overall (company car).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 3 Aug 14 at 15:10
Nice cars the V60 and especially the XC60 (I was tempted with that one!).

Once the new D4 engine goes into the AWD version of the XC60 that will be a class-leader I think. For now it is only in the 2WD version.

Coming from the I-Drive of the Beemer into the Sensus of the Volvo it took quite a while to get used to what functions are operated in what way. It is surprising how everything becomes intuitive with familiarity.

After 6 years in the BM when I got the Volvo my phone rang and I had no idea how to answer it from the car controls, ending up with a text that the car read out for me!

On a test-drive that would have been a bit off-putting, but soon enough it all makes sense.

Well, the V70 has gone back to the dealer for a quick software 'tweak' to update the system for phone pairing and they have given me a V60 courtesy car.

Also a D4 Geartronic, and with a bit less weight to shift it is nice and sprightly, although it seems a nicer gearbox / engine combo in the V70 for some reason.

Space-wise it is just smaller all round, with much less glass making visibility a little more compromised, but it is certainly not cramped.

I just know a washing machine would slot straight into the V70, but I would need to get the tape measure out to check before I showed it up to the boot of the V60...

The sales-guy who has clearly been using the car day-to-day has a load of music stored in the cars HDD system, and I know the V70 has this feature too, so I will look at uploading some of my music onto this system in my car. A neat feature. Plus he has great taste in music so I was barrelling along to work this morning with some live AC/DC for a change!
 Volvo V70 - New Car report - Pat
>> so I was barrelling along to work this morning with some live AC/DC for a change! <<

The V70 is the only place I get to enjoy AC/DC full blast without anyone to complain!

Pat
 Volvo V70 - New Car report - R.P.
My V40 is still doing stirling service - a good car - maybe lacks the finesse of the BMW I sold for it, but outstandingly fast. I was unloading it outside the Office today - little lad (8 to 10) came up to me and said "Nice Car" - I said yes, a petrol T5 with 257 bhp...."oh" he said, "256 bhp actually, I'm a fan...."; glad to see that proper petrol heads are still being bred.
 Volvo V70 - New Car report - R.P.
My wife's V50 is now on e-bay - prices look remarkably firm. Come up very clean after a Lithuanian valet for £15.00...bargain.
Sounds like a great car, and a lot of fun. Quite a Q-car I would guess.

Is there much torque-steer R.P?

My wife's 200hp Eos is a little 'snappy' on the limit in this regard.

For example, if you are on a road and there is a need to do a swift over-take, then you pull out and floor it, the small amount of squirming from the wheel when you really boot-it can make the front of the car squirm around a bit.

Not a nice sensation when you are trying to get past a car rather than looking at bumping into the side of it as you go past.....
How did the software update go SFD?
Well, I didn't think it needed one - and this turns out to be the case.

I could not get my phone 'contacts' to sync with the car and when it went into the dealer for a tiny adjustment to something else, they managed to get it to link-up fine (I was certain that it was a question of me doing something not quite right, and I think that was the case).

The mechanic then tried to connect his phone, and it would not sync completely, although clearly mine now had. So my problem was solved but he thought there might still be an issue there because his phone did not link correctly. He did not want me to think he had not fully investigated the issue.

The thought was to get it plugged in for a system update 'just in case', but when they went to do it they found I have the latest software anyway, and it would appear that the mechanic has identified he has a faulty phone! Therefore nothing needs doing.

Nice staff at the dealer, all genuinely friendly and customer focussed. You felt that they would go the 'extra mile'. I had this with BMW and hoped it would be the case here and I am not disappointed.

I mentioned to the dealer manager that I was averaging about 45mpg and he said I was clearly an 'enthusiastic driver'. I said I was driving like a nun, being sensible for the first couple of thousand miles. He thought I could do better than that if I wanted to.

I then decided yesterday to see how economical my commute could be if I really tried (45 mile round-trip on mid-Sussex country roads with lots of 30, 40, 50, 30, 40, etc, limits spread all along, with various hilly bits), with a bit of stop-start town driving for good measure. Nowhere for a decent bit of cruising (so to speak!).

On the trip to work I averaged 63mpg, which was down to 58.5mpg when I got home after the full round trip (more uphill on the way back). It did not take much extra effort to get this, just some extra thought and planning further ahead.

That seems extraordinary for such a big car with an auto 'box.

Seems strange that in the old days "what'l it do mister?" was all about speed and now its all about fuel!
The reason I asked was my car was in for a software update, the infotainment system goes a bit random and shuts down when it feels like it.

The car was in the garage for two days without success. It's booked in again for end of October for them too have another go.

That D4 engine gets some amazing reported figures and some very average ones. My own D3 is poor when compared to my D5. Today we drove down to Bitburg, the car reported 7.5l/100kms(37.8 MPG). I thought I was taking it easy.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 8 Aug 14 at 16:16
Sorry to hear of your woes. I had intermittent issues with the BMW and every time it went into the dealer it behaved itself. Until the day after I collected it :(

The fuel consumption in the D4 does vary considerably with any town work, and to get the high numbers takes a bit of concentration. It will be interesting to see what i get if I just drive 'normally'. Just having the MPG meter there makes me want to get the numbers up though!

I have never tried the D3 engine and wonder if it is a lower powered one whether it is just having to work harder to shift that bulk, hence your poor figures?

I dread to think how hard you would have to work the D2 with it's 1.6 engine.....
>> I have never tried the D3 engine and wonder if it is a lower powered
>> one whether it is just having to work harder to shift that bulk, hence your
>> poor figures?
>>
>> I dread to think how hard you would have to work the D2 with it's
>> 1.6 engine.....
>>
The 1.6 is actually OK for normal running about, my wife has a version of it in a 7 seater people carrier and it is fine up to about 115MPH. Fuel consumption is about the same as my D3 at 37MPG.

My D3 is the 163PS variant. The issue I have with it is it never feels as though it's pulling its weight. In the old days, with a five speed box, you'd get it into third put your foot down and any car would pull. Third in the D3 is too short and fourth is too long so it never feels like a real shove which is a surprise considering 400Nm is supposed to be in there somewhere.

As my car is now out of manufacturers warranty and VolvoSelekt appears to be nothing more than a third party warranty with some badge engineering, the fact I have never found a good Volvo workshop I will probably go back to my very good indie after giving my last hope at MRG a go. They are supposed to be the best, fingers crossed they sort the software.
 Volvo V70 - New Car report - Fenlander
>>>The 1.6 is actually OK for normal running about,

I'd agree after my experience of the 1.6 diesel in my C5 Tourer. It was easily capable of exceeding normal traffic speeds on any road type and returned 50-56mpg... mostly 53 in day to day use.
>>>My D3 is the 163PS variant. The issue I have with it is it never feels as though it's pulling its weight. In the old days, with a five speed box, you'd get it into third put your foot down and any car would pull. Third in the D3 is too short and fourth is too long so it never feels like a real shove which is a surprise considering 400Nm is supposed to be in there somewhere.

I tried that engine (badged as a D4 I am sure) when I test drove the Volvo. It has the geartronic box I was so impressed with. I think they used to be badged as D3 and then D4 when they launched the 136hp version which they then referred to as the D3. If that makes sense....

I had a 2005 S60 D5 (163hp 2.4d) which had a 5-speed manual box, and you just put it into 5th at 30mph and you need not change gear again. The torque felt immense, and the shove in the back it gave when you booted it was great fun. The BMW felt flat in comparison, despite more horses, and you have put your finger on the precise issue, which is optimised gears for fuel economy (for the EU tests of course, not for real life).
Latest Forum Posts