Motoring Discussion > KIA - Trade Sales, Slough Buying / Selling
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 32

KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - smokie
Went car hunting with daughter (who knew what she wanted - a Ceed - before we left the house) at the weekend.

I insisted she looked at other marques so we paid a visit to Trade Sales in Slough, where they have a good range of cars you can hop in and out of.

They had just one 1.6 diesel Ceed, 58 reg I think, about 25k, which admittedly was a very keen price indeed.

BUT

They don't put themselves out to prep the cars, and many looked like they'd been cleaned with sandpaper
They do not service the cars prior to sale
The price you see is the price you pay - no negotiation - except add on £91 service fee or something
They offer no warranty,except one you can choose to buy
I was unconvinced that the stuck boot lid would have been properly repaired before sale
The oil was a thick black and the worst bit
They don't allow you to test drive the cars! He said there was a Kia dealer up the road and suggested if we wanted to drive one to go there.

I suppose it's no worse (in fact probably a little better) than buying at auction, and I also suppose that the prices are not far off auction prices. But for a dealer not to give a warranty and not allow a test drive must surely put off some people? It did me...

KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - Old Navy
And would me!
 KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - Skoda
The business surely won't survive with that attitude. That car was a lemon i bet, and the guy knew it.
 KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - Zero
>> The business surely won't survive with that attitude. That car was a lemon i bet,
>> and the guy knew it.

Its survived and thrived for the last 15 years with that attitiude. Personaly I wouldnt go within 100 miles of the place if looking for a car, had and been told of, far too many bad things there. But it seems plenty of people go back.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 10:02
 KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - Iffy
...Its survived and thrived for the last 15 years with that attitiude...

Established 1977 according to: www.trade-sales.co.uk/

I wouldn't go near the place, either, but in that time they must have sold thousands of cars.

Since there is not a queue of angry punters at the gate each morning, most of those customers must be at least satisfied, if not happy,
 KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - Focusless
>> Since there is not a queue of angry punters at the gate each morning, most
>> of those customers must be at least satisfied, if not happy,

Satisfied customer here - bought a 1 year old Colt from them a few years ago, so had manufacturer warranty, and wasn't expecting a test drive (they're well packed in) or to haggle (significantly cheaper than anywhere else). Salesman wasn't pushy, knew more about the car than out local Mitsu dealer salesman, and the service cost £50. Car has been fine so far.
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 10:30
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 10:37
 KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - Londoner
>> .
Excellent response. Short and to the point.

KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - commerdriver
>> >> .
>> Excellent response. Short and to the point.
>>
unusually so
 KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - John H
>> and I also suppose that the prices are not far off auction prices. But for
>> a dealer not to give a warranty and not allow a test drive must surely
>> put off some people? It did me...
>>

In general, consumer laws give you more protection than warranties. You would have discovered this had you tried taking your claim on your Mondeo to the small calims court against the dealer who you bought the car from, rather than try to rely on claiming on a warranty written by provider's lawyers - as opposed to one written by you or your lawyers.
Last edited by: John H on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 11:06
Yes, that was an avenue I considered - but there seemed to be too much onus on me to prove stuff which may not have been provable, but would have taken a lot of cost and time to pursue - so in the end I cut my losses...
 KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - RattleandSmoke
The law is a bit complicated but if you buy a car from a Trade place as a cunsumer then you are covered by law under the consumer protection act 1974. These places try and con the public by saying its a trade place so normal consumer laws don't apply.

This is wrong and for them to make a trade sale they have to proove you are trade or normal consumer laws apply :).

I bought a car this way once and got conned. I thought because he told me it was a trade sale I had no rights. It wasn't till a few days later I found out the crook had put stop smoke in the engine to hide the fact the piston rings were none existant.

I would avoid this Kia, it sounds like the oil change is way over due and I suspect Kia's warranty may be void.
>> 1974. These places try and con the public by saying its a trade place so
>> normal consumer laws don't apply.
>>

Rattle, just wait for the lawyers at Trade Sales, Slough, to get in touch with you so that you can robustly defend what you have written.
Last edited by: John H on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 12:01
 KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - Focusless
>> These places try and con the public by saying its a trade place so
>> normal consumer laws don't apply.

When I bought from them I wasn't aware they were claiming this (if indeed they were); I just thought 'Trade Sales' was a name, didn't read anything into it.
In the case of this place it seems they are not trying to get out of the consumer protection act law then :).

It is just many trade places do. I know when I bought my first car under 'Trade' I had to sign something to say it was a trade sale and consumer protection act dosn't apply. I since found out that wasn't the case.

I didn't mean my post to say it was Trade Sales, Slough in particular. I am sure they are a geniuine business who offer reduce prices because they offer more limited services.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 12:40

>> I didn't mean my post to say it was Trade Sales, Slough in particular. I
>>

This thread is titled " KIA - Trade Sales, Slough ".
Yep and I was just pointing out why you need to be careful with some trade centres. I don't know anything about this place so I have no idea if they are sticking to rules but I know some of these type of places don't.
 KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - Slightlyfatdirector
Well, is it me or is the Kia not covered by the 7 year warranty? It's not been out long enough to be 7 years old and as long as the service book has been stamped by the previous dealer then there is no problem is there?

I do take your point though but this is probably what is reflected in the asking price.

I bought my wifes Almera from here a couple of years ago and was pleased with the transaction, but I went there knowing that there were no test drives, and expecting a limited level of service. They don't call them car supermarkets for nothing. If you stoll into Tesco someone doesn't push the trolley for you! :)

I dare say that the Cee'd you saw was the last of a bunch of them and so was the slightly uncared for one. They sell these cars here, particularly this size of car, very fast so I doubt whether they are there long enough to valet. When I got the Nissan I saw the car listed on the internet, saw they had 20 in various colours / mileage and got the guy there to find me the one with the least scratches, dings in the lowest mileage, got him to check the dealer stamps were in the book, paid a deposit and then went to see the car.

When I got there a week later all the other 19 cars had been sold.
Why don't these cars end up in dealers though? A 58 plate Cee'ed seems a bit new to be sold this way unless its very high milleage. That said I suppose even if it had 60k on the clock a dealer may think its too high to pass on as a full retail product.

>> Why don't these cars end up in dealers though? A 58 plate Cee'ed seems a
>> bit new to be sold this way unless its very high milleage.

Kia dealers dont want second hand kias on the same site as new ones. It shows the punters how much a new one looses value and it puts them off.
That makes sense :) Although I thought in those situations the dealer just inflates the price? Maybe do they do that then after a few weeks when it dosn't sell send them to the trade type places.
 KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - NeilS
Our extended family and small business have bought six cars from them and not had a single problem in the buying process or the cars. Most of the cars are coming up for a service or have missed one and if the latter, the price is several hundred £s lower to allegedly cover the cost of an extended warranty. Many are ex rental so that puts some people off but the prices are very keen. Most of the cars are very tidy, a few are missing bits but you are allowed to start them up and check everything works but they'll qualify you quite carefully before spending too much time with you. Avoid their warranties, hi-fis, gap insurance and finance and you'll do ok would be my advice.
 KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - swiss tony
>> I didn't mean my post to say it was Trade Sales, Slough in particular. I
>> am sure they are a geniuine business who offer reduce prices because they offer more
>> limited services.
>>
LOL LOL ROFPMP!
 KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - Bellboy
didnt you use to work there swiss?
i used to love your programme
any chance of a rerun?
 KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - swiss tony
>> didnt you use to work there swiss?
>> i used to love your programme
>> any chance of a rerun?
>>
No BB I didn't work there, but I have worked very close to them.....
I know far to much about them to EVER advise anyone to use them, more than that I cannot say on a pubic forum......
...and can we leave it there, regarding the nature of the business?

My original post was just around the fact that I was surprised that people would buy something with no guarantee and no test drive. But as I've said, I've done it myself now I think about it.
 KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - Avant
"....more than that I cannot say on a pubic forum...... "

Deliberate typo? Better not make any risque jokes, as Smokie is watching us, and might tear his hair out....publicly.
 KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - rtj70
There is no name and shame here so if Trade Sales are poor then I think we can say that. Correct me if I am wrong mods.

But how they work sounds like Motorpoint to me and we bought a car in 2002 and it is still going strong without problems. They did try to sell us a loan which turned out to be a hire purchase but the confusion was sorted. But I think it had a warranty and we did get a test drive.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 23:18
 KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - Avant
Fair comment, RTJ: Trade Sales are a car supermarket like several others, with similar pros and cons. Magazines have done surveys of thm in the past - I think Fords of Winsford often come out best - but Winsford is in Cheshire and there are fewer to choose from if you live in the South. TS and Car Giant (NW London) are the only southern ones I can think of.

Generally yer pays for what yer gets.
>> There is no name and shame here
>>

What do you call this then?
www.car4play.com/forum/nameandshame.htm
www.car4play.com/forum/policies/nameandshame.htm
Moderation will tend to err on the side of caution for "shaming". Naturally "praising" will receive a lighter touch.
www.car4play.com/forum/policies/terms.htm
9.1 You must not submit any material to our Site that:
9.1.1 is:
9.1.1.1 defamatory, malicious, threatening, false, misleading, offensive, abusive, discriminatory, harassing, blasphemous or racist,
9.1.1.2 indecent, obscene or of a sexual nature,
Last edited by: John H on Mon 28 Jun 10 at 23:41
 KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - rtj70
So this is similar to HJ. I suppose Stephen Khoo does not want to be sued. The mods are fairly anonymous.
I'm sure it's similar to many forums. Does anyone ever want to be sued? It's never happened to me and I'm a bit old for it to start now!!

Not sure how we are anonymous or the implication of that, but you can tell a mod by the wand - as if you didn't know that!! :-)
 KIA - Trade Sales, Slough - Pat
Or in some case, the big stick to beat you with:)

But not in yours smokie!

Pat
Latest Forum Posts