Motoring Discussion > Insurance scam? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 3

Insurance scam? - RattleandSmoke
In very early August my dad was involved in a very very minor accident, he was rearer ended when he was stationary at traffic lights. It was a very slow speed impact bump and caused no injuries. Just a cracked bumper and a bit of a scratch.

Insurance company said the body shop (A BMW franchised dealer? for a Hyundai) cannot look at the car for another three weeks. The car went in late August and it still there now. All the car needs is a new bumper and a bit of respraying. In this time the third party insurance has been paying for a hire car etc etc etc with all the inflating costs that come with it. I thought they were cracking down on this scam, e.g inflating the time it takes to fix bodywork repairs.

As the third party has admitted liability, the third party's insurance company is paying for all the work but my dads insurance company is handling it all. My dad actually told the bodyshop on the phone he knew what was going on and they while they didn't admit it they didn't deny it.

By the time he gets the car back, the car would have been in the body shop for a full month for what is just very minor damage, even the bumper damage was only cosmetic. The only blessing is it has saved him about 600 miles of wear and tear on his own car while he has the hire car the third party is paying for.

And blimey, this has reminded me own car insurance is due soon, and I have now forgotten the exact details of my previous claims :(
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 19 Sep 14 at 20:02
 Insurance scam? - Duncan
>>
>> And blimey, this has reminded me own car insurance is due soon, and I have
>> now forgotten the exact details of my previous claims :(
>>

Rattle, why don't you post on here the ones that you can remember and we will see if we can help fill in the gaps?
 Insurance scam? - Cliff Pope
>> It was a very slow
>> speed impact bump and caused no injuries. Just a cracked bumper and a bit of
>> a scratch.
>>

Apparently with modern cars you need to get "minor" bumps thoroughly checked for hidden damage inside the actual structure.
I've known a car that looked undamaged after a low-speed bump, but on expert checking something had concertinered inside which was structural and not economically worth repairing. The friend had not even been going to report it.
 Insurance scam? - Alastairw
The ex wifes Meriva seemed to attract rear end shunts. After the first one it was repaired, but the second, smaller shunt wrote it off due to accumulated damage to the boot floor.
Latest Forum Posts