Motoring Discussion > Selfish *uggers Legal Questions
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 29

Selfish *uggers - zippy
Was heading out this evening to pick my eldest from Uni, about a 7 hour round trip.

About 20 minutes in to the journey, an ambulance was comming towards me on the wrong side of the road.

There were some traffic lights ahead on red and it was clear that the ambulance was going to go around them on the wrong side, so I stop about 15 car lengths short and signal to the ambulance that it can come forward.

What happens?

Cars from a side road on the opposite side of the road, between me and the traffic lights decide to pull out in front of me delaying the ambulance - they could see the ambulance - they were waiting to cross the stationary queue of traffic in the other direction heading towards the accident.

Clearly I stopped too short.
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 19 Dec 14 at 02:33
 Selfish *uggers - Tigger
I thought you were going to say that a car from behind took the chance to overtake you. I've had that on at least three occasions.
 Selfish *uggers - Zero
>> I thought you were going to say that a car from behind took the chance
>> to overtake you. I've had that on at least three occasions.

and me.
 Selfish *uggers - Cliff Pope
Yep, quite common.
Similarly where a road is constricted on my side because of parked cars, I wait to let oncoming traffic have their priority. Someone behind will overtake me and force the oncoming car to go back.
Hesitate for half a second at temporary traffic lights and the car behind will already be half-overtaking.
 Selfish *uggers - Armel Coussine
>> Hesitate for half a second at temporary traffic lights and the car behind will already be half-overtaking.

Yes, a lot of you take almost forever to get moving when the lights change. Half a second is pretty slow. But I usually wait five seconds or so before deciding you've died or gone to sleep and it's time to nip past. Maturity brings patience and resignation.
 Selfish *uggers - Focusless
I share transport to the band I play in with a nice lady flute player, who you'd love AC. Sitting in a queue at traffic lights, when they go green, rather than start to get ready to move off as soon as the lights change, she waits until the car directly in front starts moving before putting it in first and taking off the hand brake. By the time we start moving, there's a second or 2 gap between us and the car in front. I have to bite my tongue...
Heh heh... tell me about it.

But it only annoys and upsets people if you criticise their driving, even helpfully. They've been allowed or allowed themselves to develop a set of unshakeable mimser reflexes. There's nothing to be done about it except in very rare cases.

What seems odd to me is that intelligence doesn't seem to play a role with most drivers. Only enthusiasts bring intellect to bear on their driving, and manage to avoid becoming rigid at the same time. Flow and efficiency for all are the watchwords.
 Selfish *uggers - Fursty Ferret
>> >> I thought you were going to say that a car from behind took the
>> chance
>> >> to overtake you. I've had that on at least three occasions.
>>
>> and me.
>>

And me. Yesterday, in fact. Astonishing how people can miss something with dazzling blue flashing lights and a siren I heard about 30 seconds before it came into sight.
 Selfish *uggers - Old Navy

>>
>> And me. Yesterday, in fact. Astonishing how people can miss something with dazzling blue flashing
>> lights and a siren I heard about 30 seconds before it came into sight.
>>

Loud music and texting don't help.
I boringly quote a verse I posted on HJ over a story that someone had seen a white van driver texting while doing 90 on the motorway:

How can he be texting at 90
(However prehensile his legs)
When he's smoking a doobie,
Tooting a line,
Feeling his girl up,
Mulling some wine
And frying his bacon and eggs?
 Selfish *uggers - mikeyb
Always surprises me how many people panic when they see blue lights.

The exit from my workplace is onto a dual carriageway with a 40 mph limit. Its also very close to a major hospital and a police station so there is often a lot of activity.

Last week I came to the lights where I join - lights were green, but I could see an ambulance coming in the outside lane, so I pulled out slowly allowing him to proceed at speed along the outside lane, however, the couple of cars ahead of me decided they should come to a complete stop in lane one despite the ambulance being in lane 2. Not really what they thought they were acheiving
 Selfish *uggers - Rudedog
Have the rules on blue lights changed? Over the past couple of months around where I am I've seen numerous cars with blue LED lights, the one I saw last night was a newish Merc and had both fog lights blue and the lights in the door mirrors blue, could easily have been mistaken for an undercover police car.
I really liked the blue lights inside the grille of the Prince of Wales's Bentley when I saw it slicing through the traffic, just a couple of outriders and not stopping the traffic as they do if it's the Queen.

Wouldn't mind a set of those myself. But I suppose there's a law against it.
 Selfish *uggers - Ted

I was driving one of the force's Q cars, I can't remember what it was, probably a 2.8 Capri, on a local 30 mph urban road when a Jap sports car of some sort rushed up behind me at some speed....about 60 or 70 I guess.

It got to about 30 ft behind me when blue lights behind the grille and a siren started up to get me out of the way. I knew damn well that the traffic unit didn't have a Kwakimosho 3000GT in red, or any other colour.

I think the two young Asian lads in it were a little surprised when the ' Police Stop ' sign went up in my back window. The driver got a ban...not sure about the passenger......perhaps ' aid and abet '.
 Selfish *uggers - Zero

>> the door mirrors blue, could easily have been mistaken for an undercover police car.

Except of course being undercover you wouldn't see the blue lights.

>> Except of course being undercover you wouldn't see the blue lights.

They have them, but only turn them on when they give chase. Siren too or special overbearing horn if need be.
 Selfish *uggers - Rudedog
My point being that these drivers seem to think it's OK to display some kind of blue light and possibly make other drivers move out of the way by mistakenly thinking a police car is behind them.

Not sure what statement they are trying to make with the use of blue lights?

>> Not sure what statement they are trying to make with the use of blue lights?

'Look at me fuzz! I'm asking for a pull!'

Something along those lines?
 Selfish *uggers - bathtub tom
>>'Look at me fuzz! I'm asking for a pull!'

'Cos I'm gay!

I think we've done all this before!
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Fri 19 Dec 14 at 23:23
>> 'Cos I'm gay!

I know a gay car freak, a successful automotive hack and very capable. Not at all keen on fripperies or ornament, serious and knowledgeable.

Just saying... I'd have a pink car no problem, but he probably wouldn't.
 Selfish *uggers - Fullchat
In a nutshell. No red lights to the front and no white lights to the rear (unless number plate light). Any other colours are not illegal as long as they don't flash (unless amber indicators).
So those natty little Xmas trees that you see in HGV cabs at this time of year are ok providing there are no red bulbs on it.
 Selfish *uggers - Pat
Bah Humbug:)

Pat
 Selfish *uggers - Bromptonaut
On a similar theme:

Cheriton to home last night. Off the shuttle around 17:10 and through Dartford crossing just after 18:00 - I'll post seperately about the charging set up.

After the barrier site we were positioned for the east tunnel. While the nearside lane had green lights the offside was showing a pair of 'wig wags' and a red cross. My understanding is that these have a meaning analogous to a red traffic light. You MUST not pass the signal in that lane. Literally dozens of drivers were ignoring it and another in the tunnel.

Eventually they either twig or spot the reason and try to push into the already rammed nearside lane.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 20 Dec 14 at 09:21
 Selfish *uggers - Zero
>> In a nutshell. No red lights to the front and no white lights to the
>> rear (unless number plate light). Any other colours are not illegal as long as they
>> don't flash (unless amber indicators).
>> So those natty little Xmas trees that you see in HGV cabs at this time
>> of year are ok providing there are no red bulbs on it.

I suppose that makes that huge illuminated confederate flag on the inside of the rear cab wall Illegal, plenty of red in that.
 Selfish *uggers - Pat
My charming personality has always got me away with a wink and a warning;)

Pat
 Selfish *uggers - Fullchat
"I suppose that makes that huge illuminated confederate flag on the inside of the rear cab wall Illegal, plenty of red in that."

Strictly speaking - yeah. Bah humbug. :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 20 Dec 14 at 10:55
 Selfish *uggers - MD
Knob extension.
 Selfish *uggers - Tigger
Today's was astonishing.

I'd seen the ambulance coming up, just as we hit a narrow section, so I kept going a further 200 yards rather than pull to the side immediately. Light traffic - only one car between the ambulance and me, so made progress and made sure there was plenty of space for us both.

Not only did the car behind me go round me, but she clearly didn't even glance in her mirror - the ambulance driver had seen what I was doing, and was accelerating in anticipation - but had to suddenly slam on the brakes.

If ever I had the ability to turn on a 'police stop' sign and grab someone for driving without due care, this would have been it.
 Selfish *uggers - MD
There should be a limit on volume from music in cars. I know I know that that would be impossible to enforce, but if it is too loud you can't think straight let alone drive.

Also a complete ban on wearing Hoodies whilst driving. How on earth can you be safe with limited peripheral vision and yer ear oles blocked up?

And don't get me started on sunglasses.........the type that are designed for wearing when it's overcast or foggy!!
 Selfish *uggers - henry k
Yesterday I experienced two traffic events within 15 minutes and both within a mile or so from home.
I was first in the queue at a roundabout when a was aware of a siren nearby. ( I very rarely have music on). I just stayed put expecting something from the blind side on my left.
Some one behind started tooting and then an ambulance appeared from my left on the wrong side of the bollards. Had I moved i would have blocked it. Do I care about the thicko behind ?

I parked on a roundabout, but totally off the road on a ramp to a friends garage in a fairly quiet estate.
Popped a card through their door and returned to my car. Fortunately before I opened the car door I checked not just behind me as some " clever" local decided to straight line the offset roundabout and go straight through on the wrong side of the roundabout. It was very obviously a regular event and not done at crawling pace.

I hope you all avoid such fellow road users / abusers
Latest Forum Posts