Motoring Discussion > EU to classify law mowers as motor vehicles Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: wokingham Replies: 9

EU to classify law mowers as motor vehicles - wokingham
More EU Bullpoop! www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/money/insurance/article4364639.ece
May also cause difficulties to SORN arrangements, apparently.
 EU to classify law mowers as motor vehicles - jc2
Can only hope it will apply to mobility scooters.
 EU to classify law mowers as motor vehicles - Zero
Ok well lets add a bit of fact into the argument, rather than the typical Anti EU inaccurate and lurid exaggerated tales

The truth is

The Brussels Directive states that cover must be obtained for ‘any motor vehicle intended for travel and propelled by mechanical power’ after a ruling by the ECJ that an accident involving a tractor trailer on private land should have been covered by compulsory insurance.

>> Can only hope it will apply to mobility scooters.

Yes it does, and not before time
 EU to classify law mowers as motor vehicles - CGNorwich
The Brussels Directive has always said that. It was promulgated in 1972.

The potential change is really one of interpretation following an interpretation in the European court of Justice relating to an accident in Slovenia where a worker was injured on private land by a tractor towing a trailer. The court ruled that the vehicle should have had compulsory motor insurance.

Were they wrong in this interpretaion?

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31972L0166:en:HTML
 EU to classify law mowers as motor vehicles - Manatee
Right, that's it. They've gone too far this time.

Where's the UKIP membership application?

Who's going to ring up their insurer first and ask for cover for the ride on mower?

Actually I've just had a brainwave - could it/should it be covered on my "driving other cars" cover?
 EU to classify law mowers as motor vehicles - Runfer D'Hills
I guy I know, who has pretty big garden, has a ride on mower with a drinks cabinet ( a wee box he attached to it ) he claims a full mow takes three G&Ts.
 EU to classify law mowers as motor vehicles - Bromptonaut
Way back in 1969 my Dad was bothered that the self propelled 24" rotary mower he used on our paddock might need a tax disc and insurance if he accessed it via roads/pavements.

Instead he got a groundwork contractor in so we could get mower to paddock staying in our own land.
 EU to classify law mowers as motor vehicles - Alastairw
Surely as long as you stay on your own land 3rd party risks would be covered by your household insurance. I accept that additional cover would be required for road use - just like the little tractors the council use for grass cutting, which even carry proper number plates and so forth.
 EU to classify law mowers as motor vehicles - Ted

That's my Segway out of the question, then ?
 EU to classify law mowers as motor vehicles - CGNorwich
>> Surely as long as you stay on your own land 3rd party risks would be
>> covered by your household insurance. I accept that additional cover would be required for road
>> use - just like the little tractors the council use for grass cutting, which even
>> carry proper number plates and so forth.

There is no currently no legal requirement to have insurance for a vehicle not on a public road even though you can insure such vehicles for third party risks. The implication of the judgment is that you must have insurance for such vehicle in the same way you would have such insurance for a vehicle on a public road.
Latest Forum Posts