Motoring Discussion > Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 127

Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - WillDeBeest
Pricing up a service for the LEC. MB dealers now offer an online quote, with four options. Things that I used to get as part of the service - collect and return, or a loan car - are now £50 extras. No real problem when an £8 train ticket will get me to work and back, but the real surprise is the 'Lounge' option; rather than leave the car and go to work, if I want to wait and drink their coffee, it'll cost me £20. The coffee is nice enough - but it ain't that good!

Anyone finding this sort of thing elsewhere?
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Mapmaker
Transparent pricing. (Assuming the servicing costs have been reduced accordingly.) Thoroughly approve.
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - No FM2R
An open and honest approach to be sure, but a surprising business decision. I'd be surprised if it stands.
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Falkirk Bairn
Shop around!

I did this last July - 1st garage - £280 for a service - "We all charge the same. When do you want it done?"

I trawled 5 Franchises and settle for £195 at a garage that had the highest % satisfaction. I paid £192 in th end.

Come July I will trawl round again.

PS The 1st garage Pheonix, closed a few months ago
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - sooty123
Me too, once people start getting the option to pay less and showing them how much the extras cost surely it would reduce their income? Some will carry on, but if their income stays the same is a bit pointless. And i can't see their income going up from these.
Exactly.

It would only make sense if they were trying to encourage these services out of their portfolio.

But then it would be down to differentiation by price, which isn't really Mercedes' thing.
Yeah MB is premuim in the car world, not sure where this idea goes?
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Manatee
>> Transparent pricing. (Assuming the servicing costs have been reduced accordingly.) Thoroughly approve.

I suspect it's more deterrence pricing than transparent pricing,and that the hourly rate will be no lower.

The "while you wait" is probably less for the coffee than for them having to do it in your time rather than their own - they like to get all the jobs in at 8.30/9 and have all day to sort them out.
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - swiss tony
>> Transparent pricing. (Assuming the servicing costs have been reduced accordingly.) Thoroughly approve.

Ah... well, its almost transparent...
In the small print, there is a bit about mandatory additional items...

ie, dependent on previous history, age and mileage, other service items may be needed at extra cost...

.. you do of course have the choice of saying no to those additional items.

Don't expect the service to be 'stamped' though....
Last edited by: swiss tony on Sat 18 Apr 15 at 18:27
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - R.P.
Windscreen Washer fluid. An option in BMW servicing, £7 bl o ody 50 at Volvo.
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Runfer D'Hills
Scandies have a thing about expensive fluids. Ever tried ordering a beer in Sweden? I think it's all that pickled fish they eat, addles them.

Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Duncan
>> Pricing up a service for the LEC.

Apart from the 4 options, MB dealers are also offering a 'basic' service, if the car is more than 3, or is it 4, years old? Quite a bit cheaper.

They won't give you a virtual stamp in the book, though.
>> They won't give you a virtual stamp in the book, though.
>>

How about an ink stamp? Or are all the servicing history electronic?
The MINI we now have is being serviced next week. TLC package means it shouldn't cost anything. I've used the BMW side of this dealership quite often, free coffee and some sort of "lounge" was available. Volvo is down the road so I don't worry about coffee etc although I've been offered a brew a few times there. BMW bike dealers give you two tokens for an open air snack-bar. Bikers don't need lounges.
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Clk Sec
>> it'll cost me £20.

I always book my modest limousine in for its annual service and MOT for 8.30am. I drink their delicious coffee, read their newspapers and magazines and head home a couple of hours or so later.

But my excellent dealership won't see me for dust if they try that trick on me.

Cheek.
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - ....
>> >> They won't give you a virtual stamp in the book, though.
>> >>
>>
>> How about an ink stamp? Or are all the servicing history electronic?
>>

Mercedes has been digital for a number of years as has Mazda. It's the way they will all go once they get how valuable the data is.

>> Mercedes has been digital for a number of years as has Mazda. It's the way
>> they will all go once they get how valuable the data is.

I wonder what will happen to us paupers that don't use main dealers? I suppose just keep the receipts.
I've put a system in for another manufacturer that allows the independents to record the services too.

It shows who serviced so the person reading the history can see where the service was carried out and what was done. It also allows the recording of OEM and non-OEM parts.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 17 Apr 15 at 16:59
>> I've put a system in for another manufacturer that allows the independents to record the
>> services too.

Which one is doing that?

>> It shows who serviced so the person reading the history can see where the service
>> was carried out and what was done. It also allows the recording of OEM and
>> non-OEM parts.

i assume there is a print out? Mind you i service both cars so won't make any difference. Interesting though.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 17 Apr 15 at 17:04
Yes, there's a print out. There's even an option for the home servicers who use genuine parts.
How does that work, where would i go to get it put on the SH. How would i prove it?
Ah, now you that is the $$$$ question. Companies pay a lot of money for that.
Companies pay a lot of money for
>> that.

I'm a little slow, do you mean someone to figure out how to put it all on an electronic SH?
>>Mercedes has been digital for a number of years as has Mazda. It's the way they will all go once they get how valuable the data is.
>>
>> I wonder what will happen to us paupers that don't use main dealers? I suppose just keep the receipts.>>

I keep the invoices for all the servicing on the LEC.

When you come to sell it, it's nice to be able to affirm that it has FMBSH and to produce all the documentation to prove it.
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Boxsterboy
>> Anyone finding this sort of thing elsewhere?
>>

Yes, I noticed this with MB a while ago, when my wife's CLK went in for its service, especially the loan car charges. Previously £10 'for insurance' - even though my policy covered it they insisted. £10 for a day in a new Merc is OK, but £50 is not, and made me look elsewhere!
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - VxFan
>> Things that I used to get as part of the service - collect and return, or a loan car - are now £50 extras.

Collect/return for free.

Courtesy car - there is an optional £10 collision waiver. Not obliged to pay it, but if you have an accident then you have to pay the first £300 of their policy excess.

>> if I want to wait and drink their coffee, it'll cost me £20.

Free coffee, tea, hot chocolate. Magazines are also free, as well as watching the TV while you wait.

no doubt you'll still find something to slag off Vauxhall and their dealers though

>> Free coffee, tea, hot chocolate. Magazines are also free, as well as watching the TV
>> while you wait.
>>

kwik fit do that as well.
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Focusless
>> >> Free coffee, tea, hot chocolate.
>>
>> kwik fit do that as well.

Yes, as a regular customer I like that. Had to visit the local Mitsubishi dealer this week with lots of expensive machinery on show - water or nothing!
no doubt you'll still find something to slag off Vauxhall...

No need when your inferiority complex has got in first. But you've still not told us how big your cash discount was. Mine would cover 64 courtesy MBs or 160 days in the lounge.
}:---)
The garage man told me my Landcruiser was for sale at £100,000,000 but with my special buyer discount I could have it for £50,000.

That means my discount will buy me your Mercedes dealership and so must be better than anyone else's discount.
Fair point, NoFM, but off the mark in this case. That seems to be the model used by everyone in the online clothing trade, though; there's an email every week from one or more offering me a quarter off. It's just that the basic price is about a third higher than it was three years ago before the 'special offer' idea took hold.

I still think the LEC will work out OK in TCO terms. And I bet I can snaffle a coffee next week before I walk to the station.
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - PeterS
Mercedes have been discounting very heavily for a while now, from what I have seen. I bought my LEC new in 2011 and got 17 or 18% off the list price.

They are currently (through DTD) offering a C350e Sport Premium Plus Auto (!!) estate with a few options for around £31.5k, £12.5k off list. Now, £5k is the electric car subsidy (it's a plug-in hybrid). But that still looks like around 17% off after factoring that out.

Incidentally, WBAC value mine at a little over £16k. So it's lost just around £16k in 44 months... And cost nothing other than routine servicing (very reasonable) and some tyres :)

Not that I'm tempted by the new one, not at all :whistle:
I seem to recall that my S Class lost more than £1100 per month so you've done pretty well.
Stating the obvious I know but, I suspect, partly because it was a lot cheaper then an S class and partly because I have kept it a fairly long time. The numbers after 2 years were probably not as good!
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - mikeyb
I assume that the current favourable euro exchange rate must now be influencing the % discount available?
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Stuartli
The luxury car manufacturers have trade in prices very much stitched up, so it really doesn't matter where you swap for a new one, only how near a dealership is to where you live.
>> But you've still not told us how big your cash discount was.

And I'm not going to either. I'll just say I was more than happy with the deal I negotiated.
I'm not a Harry Enfield type character (i.e. Stan Herbert) who feels he needs to boast or brag of his wealth or deals he does.

>> Mine would cover 64 courtesy MBs or 160 days in the lounge.

So Stan, apart from thinking you made a huge saving on the overpriced windscreen sticker price, they're now going to recuperate some of their money back from you as well.

Watch that the Spanish waiter doesn't urinate into your £20 cup of coffee before he serves it to you ;)
I have no idea what you're talking about, VF. Let me remind you that this began with you bragging about having negotiated a set of mats into your Astra. (Set of mats for an Astra...fair swap...no, that's been done.)

As for your coffee comment, if you think that's clever then there's not much point in arguing with you.
>> I have no idea what you're talking about, VF. Let me remind you that this
>> began with you bragging about having negotiated a set of mats into your Astra.

It's you who needs the reminder Stan.

I mentioned that was part of the deal. Not all of the deal, just PART. It was you who started bragging about how much cash discount you negotiated.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=19025&m=421445&v=e

I've not mentioned money at all, and despite you trying to continually fish for the information, you can go whistle for it.

I really don't know why it's so important that you know. Oh, hang on, it all boils down to who can brag the loudest. It would seem you also win the bragging rights for the dearest collect/return and courtesy car charge and coffee bill.

Well Stan, you're right. There really isn't much point in arguing with you, because you'll always try and go that one better than anyone else.
I don't get this frankly. I've driven crapheaps when that was all I could ( not ) afford and I've driven nice cars when they've been available or I could afford it. I confidently expect that cycle or a version of it to continue until I shuffle off.

No one I care about or am arrogant enough to suppose gives two hoots about me has even slightly cared what I drive in any event.

Of course I like nice cars, who with an interest in cars doesn't? But I'm totally ok with whatever I or anyone else has chosen or has been given. It's certainly irrelevant to their attractiveness as a personality. Or if it does make a difference to anyone's perception then I probably wouldn't be rushing to spend any of my time in their company.

Can't be doing with class wars, from either direction. Load of horlicks. Looking down on anyone is pathetic but looking up and being bitter about it is equally flawed. We all get born, eat, sleep defacate and urinate, breed sometimes and then at some point we die. What you do in the available gaps is occasionally useful but mostly predictable and certainly nothing to fret about.

Anyway, it was sunny today and I've been out in it most of the time. That was really good.
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Zero

>> Anyway, it was sunny today and I've been out in it most of the time.

Merc left you stranded on the side of the road? Sprit of Espace that thing I tell you.
Oh ho ho ! Actually one was driving ones other car today, bike racks still on that as they wouldn't fit on the renter.
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Old Navy
>> Can't be doing with class wars, from either direction. Load of horlicks.
>>

Yep, one mans LEC is another mans airport taxi. My Yaris is a mobility scooter in disguise. :-)
>>Looking down on
>> anyone is pathetic

Pleased to see you make an exception for the Lancer tho. I would feel quite left out if you didn't.
Sometimes the ends justify the means. Or something like that.
>> Pleased to see you make an exception for the Lancer tho. I would feel quite
>> left out if you didn't.
>>

At least you don't call the Lancer an SEC or MEC.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 19 Apr 15 at 20:16
Or even a CEC.
>> Or even a CEC.
>>

He has had enough greif for one day, as for tomorrow...........
Isn't it an EEC? Don't tell Nigel Farage, but that's an Economic Estate Car :p

Anyway, vaguely back on topic, mine is booked in for a service in a few weeks time and there was no mention of a £50 cost for a courtesy car so let's see what happens!

I don't find MB servicing too steamy on price to be honest. More or less similar to Nissan in truth. Bit more than Ford but not scarily.
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Bobby
>>Can't be doing with class wars, from either direction. Load of horlicks. Looking down on anyone is pathetic but looking up and being bitter about it is equally flawed. We all get born, eat, sleep defacate and urinate, breed sometimes and then at some point we die. What you do in the available gaps is occasionally useful but mostly predictable and certainly nothing to fret about.

So about that V6 Skoda Superb estate then.........
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - swiss tony
>> >>Can't be doing with class wars, from either direction. Load of horlicks. Looking down on
>> anyone is pathetic but looking up and being bitter about it is equally flawed.

Try this... (normally reserved for management and workers, but fits here too....)

Class is like a tree full of monkeys...
Those at the top look down, and only see monkeys.
Those at the bottom look up, and see a***holes.

;-)
>> >> >>Can't be doing with class wars, from either direction. Load of horlicks. Looking down
>> on
>> >> anyone is pathetic but looking up and being bitter about it is equally flawed.
>>
>> Try this... (normally reserved for management and workers, but fits here too....)
>>
>> Class is like a tree full of monkeys...
>> Those at the top look down, and only see monkeys.
>> Those at the bottom look up, and see a***holes.
>>
>> ;-)

Try this.

Those at the top look UP and see blue sky. Those at the bottom look up and see s*** falling on them.
The thing is Bobby that I have no view at all about someone else buying one. Just doesn't especially appeal to me. No doubt a fine car but just not on my radar. In the same way ( having had examples of all of them ) that I prefer a Merc to a BMW or a Ford to a Vauxhall. Others, quite rightly for their own reasons, have different preferences. I'd probably enjoy a V6 anything really ( until I came to add up the fuel costs )

;-)
I'd probably enjoy a V6
>> anything really ( until I came to add up the fuel costs )
>>
>> ;-)
>>
You know you want to start a thread about LPG. ;)

I'm lucky enough to do very few miles so i can run a V6. And yes it is enjoyable. Very. :)
I mentioned that was part of the deal... It was you who started bragging about how much cash discount you negotiated.

What you don't get is that I wasn't bragging. I'd found a car I liked - the only one we'd seen with memory seats, which make a big contribution to marital harmony - but was priced beyond the budget we'd set. Getting it - as I described here - required taking a chance on the dealer selling it to another potential buyer - real, I think, because the car went to another branch for a while. When that buyer didn't bite, the dealer came back to me with an improved deal, which required little further negotiation.

Not master negotiating by any means, but walking away once earned me a £2000 improvement on 'the absolute best we can do'.

The post of mine you link to doesn't show yours in which you wave your 'middle finger to those who tried to turn me against Vauxhall', when all we - and there were plenty besides me - did was to encourage you to look at the alternatives - not that you ever did. My point about the cash discount was not 'look at me, aren't I clever?' but 'look what an ordinary buyer who has never bought a secondhand car before can do if he gives himself options'. If you did as well or better with your approach then your 'middle finger' to those of us who were merely trying to help you broaden your horizons would arguably be justified - albeit still crude and ugly; if not, then all this posturing has got you nowhere.

As for looking down on anyone or being a brand snob, I bought a Mercedes because I couldn't afford a Skoda; the Superbs we liked were out of budget and would have cost more to own than the LEC. Both, like everything we discuss here, are products of multinational corporations to which neither you nor I owe any loyalty at all. You can make fun of mine all you like and it will wash right off because it's a thing I bought to do a job, not part of me or my personality. Anyone who defines himself as a 'fan' of any brand is a victim of capitalism. I'm doing my best not to become one by paying more than necessary for my service; I hope one day you'll wake up and do the same.
S'quite difficult to pick sides if you're not clear what the argument is about and who is bad or good.

I think I've narrowed it down a bit;

Both Will and Dave are quite happy with the car they each got and with the price they each paid for it, but they don't think the other one should be.

Because Will got a £2,000 discount but has to buy really expensive coffee, while Dave gets his coffee free he only got free car mats thrown in when he bought the car.

Is that it?

Because I still don't quite get the argument.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 19 Apr 15 at 23:24
>> Both Will and Dave are quite happy with the car they each got and with the price they each paid for it, but they don't think the other one should be.

>> Is that it?

No, I got fed up with Stan dictating to me how and what I should be spending my money on, and for him to keep rubbishing Vauxhall's all the time.

I asked him several times what car he had so we could rubbish the POC he drives just like he does with everyone else's on here.
>> Because I still don't quite get the argument.
>>
>>

I think it's simple, WbD likes winding VxFan up because he knows he'll flash quickly.
>> I'd found a car I liked

Same here. But you took it upon yourself to rubbish it, saying I should look elsewhere, blah blah blah, different make, blah blah blah, travel miles out of my way to a dealer I've never used before, blah blah blah. Somewhere perhaps where they charge £50 just to collect/deliver a customers car and serve them expensive coffee.

>> - the only one we'd seen with memory seats, which make a big contribution to marital harmony - but was priced beyond the budget we'd set.

Plenty of cars have memory seats. Yes, even Vauxhall. Oh, but hang on, because of your prejudices and experience years ago you wouldn't even consider trying.

>> when all we - and there were plenty besides me - did was to encourage you to look at the alternatives

Plenty? IIRC, just you and Zero. The latter, knowing him was just tongue in cheek.

And I gave FULL justification as to why I wasn't willing to try alternatives. But you, just kept on and on like a stuck record, blah blah blah.

>> My point about the cash discount was not 'look at me, aren't I clever?'

Yeah, right. It was bragging, simple as that.

>> Anyone who defines himself as a 'fan' of any brand is a victim of capitalism.

It's just a username - get over it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Apr 15 at 00:57
Plenty of cars have memory seats.
Do you imagine I don't know that, you plonker? They're an expensive and rare option on the model we'd carefully decided was the most suitable for us. This specific car has them, with heaters; most didn't.

Yes, even Vauxhall. Oh, but hang on, because of your prejudices and experience years ago you wouldn't even consider trying.
Let's see, makers whose dealers I visited while on my last car hunt: six (seven if you count the Toyota one who bought the old car from us.) Your tally, VF? Almost two, wasn't it? And one of us apparently chooses out of ignorance, prejudice and outdated ideas? I wonder who that could be.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for your hilarious attempts to make fun of my 'POC', even though you know exactly what it is and have known for months. Actually, I have two cars, both documented here, so take your pick. I'm taping up my sides as a precaution. And don't tell me it's because you're too refined and sophisticated for anything so unseemly; you've already shown us the answer to that.
>> They're an expensive and rare option on the model we'd carefully decided was the most suitable for us. This specific car has them, with heaters; most didn't.

More fool you then. Even the humble Ford and Vauxhall have heated (and cooled) memory seats on their high spec models. In fact plenty of car makes do.

>> Let's see, makers whose dealers I visited while on my last car hunt: six (seven
>> if you count the Toyota one who bought the old car from us.) Your tally,
>> VF? Almost two, wasn't it?

Listen (*** snip - self moderated) I've already explained (several times in fact) why I chose the garage I bought the car from. You eventually worked out that I live in a rural area and had very few dealers locally to me. I was not prepared to travel approx. 20 miles to visit the big dealers. For starters I didn't have any transport and couldn't keep relying of friends and family to run me around. Nor could I afford £50 for one of dealers to pick me up either.

I have a friendly garage, right on my doorstep who I've had dealings with since 1986. They've always provided excellent service too. Friends of mine use them, as well as other family members, and work colleagues. If they weren't any good, then no one would use them. I know the owner and directors very well too. But I also realise they are a business and not a charity so wouldn't expect huge discounts just because I know them.

>> Oh, and I'm still waiting for your hilarious attempts to make fun of my 'POC'

No, I shan't resort to your level Stan. Someone's vehicle choice is either because they want it, it's all they can afford, or it's been provided for them by their employer.

Why should I poke fun at someone's else's car choice? If they want it, then surely that's up to them and not for you to decide, judge, or dictate otherwise.
If the vehicle has been provided to them by their employer and they wish to poke fun at it then that is up to them too, and not you.

Now, can we draw a line under this and move on, instead of continually going around in circles.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Apr 15 at 21:41
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Bromptonaut
Vx

You're a Moddie on here. How do you think it looks to any newbie visiting if you descend to personal insults with another Member?
>> Vx
>>
>> You're a Moddie on here. How do you think it looks to any newbie visiting
>> if you descend to personal insults with another Member?

I blame Dave.
>> if you descend to personal insults with another Member?

Like I said - he started it.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=19025&m=421520&v=e

"You're a f. (sorry, Aunt Maud) idiot. Moderate that!"

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=19578&m=432502&v=e

"you plonker?"

I'm sure I could find other examples, but they're the two most recent ones.

But yes, perhaps I shouldn't have sunk to his level, whether it be his views of others people's cars or insults he directs towards others on here.

edit, I've now removed the personal insult.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Apr 15 at 21:37
S' funny, I didn't think personal insults were allowed.

Still, you're a Mod so I guess you'd know. I shall bear it in mind for the future.
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Dog
A cretin can refer to a person who is physically deformed and has learning difficulties because of congenital thyroid deficiency, so it's not necessarily a term of abuse.

:}
I asked him several times what car he had so we could rubbish the POC he drives...

...No, I shan't resort to your level...

...Why should I poke fun at someone's else's car choice?

So which one was you, VF? Oh yes, they all were. Plenty of people here - ON, Humph, even mild-mannered gent Avant - have poked fun at my car. The whole LEC thing comes from that. Do I fly off into a purple-faced hissy fit every time someone calls it an airport taxi? No, because I use that term myself. In fact, I'm always pleased when one of its relatives turns up to take me to Heathrow because they're nice cars to travel in and that's largely why I bought one. (There was one awful time the firm sent a Vectra to bring me home, and if one like that was your daily ride for ten years you have my sympathy - and possibly my understanding of why you thought an Astra was 'lovely'.)

That, incidentally, and unless you can prove otherwise, is as close as I've come to 'rubbishing' your Astra. All I've done is question your points of reference for describing it so glowingly. And to point out that you don't need to be mates with a dealer to expect a competitive price; having some money to buy something they're keen to sell usually does the trick, provided you don't offer it all to them at once.
>> Plenty of people here - ON, Humph, even mild-mannered gent Avant - have poked fun at my car.

And were they like a stuck record about it? er no. Every time there is an opportunity to have a dig at Vauxhall or a particular make of Vauxhall, you pop your ugly little head up. You just can't help yourself.

>> That, incidentally, and unless you can prove otherwise, is as close as I've come to
>> 'rubbishing' your Astra.

Perhaps not my Astra, but an Astra nevertheless. And unless you can prove otherwise, you only made that statement to cause controversy. But I chose to ignore it until now - when you asked for me to give you an example.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=19566&m=431864

"•Bare torso. Saw my first of the season last week, getting into a newish white Astra. Ugh!*"

"*Bare torso wasn't too pretty either."
So glad you noticed but you're wrong if you think I can't help myself. Childish, I know, but your tantrums are hilarious. Has it occurred to you that if you could discipline yourself to the point where a trivial jibe from someone you will never meet, about a mere industrial product that you didn't design, make or do anything more personal than buy, sends you spinning into a frothing, comical rage (a) you might have a happier life and (b) I wouldn't bother with any of this?

The one genuine personal insult you quote was prefaced by a long 'if' clause that is in your link but misleadingly omitted from your quote. Context here is everything; you had drawn a parallel I consider libellous, between my mischievous but harmless questioning of your choices as a consumer and real bigotry on issues that truly matter. What I called you was what I think you are if you can't tell the difference; that cap, you are telling us by whining about it, fits. On the other hand, if you're going to cry to teacher about an insult as mild as 'plonker', you have some growing up to do.
I swear my sister and I had more mature arguments than this when we were about 10.

I genuinely don't understand what you're arguing about. It seems to be tit for tat comments for the sake of it.

I can only assume that you're both just insisting on the last word in a process which started this time when Dave said....

"Free coffee, tea, hot chocolate. Magazines are also free, as well as watching the TV while you wait.

no doubt you'll still find something to slag off Vauxhall and their dealers though

You both know about cars, neither of you seem like fools with money, so I guess you bought the cars you wanted to buy which is as it should be concerning a item that you both need and presumably both enjoy.

We choose cars to suit our own criteria, not those of someone else.

So please;

WdB stop poking Dave with a stick just for the sake of it because you know he always reacts

Dave stop doing being a drama queen even if WdB does poke you with a stick.

Because normally I love arguments where I have no emotional involvement and can just be a specatator, but this one is too silly.
Well Dave best hope that my lancer goes bang then, because I am considering getting a Chevrolet cruze estate if it does.

That will send WdB into apoplectic hoof stamping.
It would send me into hysterics.

;-)
>> It would send me into hysterics.
>>
>> ;-)

ESPACE oh excuse me i had a sneeze - pass the hanky.
>> Well Dave best hope that my lancer goes bang then, because I am considering getting
>> a Chevrolet cruze estate if it does.
>>

Could be a good buy, prices should fall when they withdraw from Europe and the UK, pick up an almost new one and run it until it dies.

www.chevrolet.co.uk/owners-area/important-customer-information.html

>> Could be a good buy, prices should fall when they withdraw from Europe and the
>> UK, pick up an almost new one and run it until it dies.
>>
>> www.chevrolet.co.uk/owners-area/important-customer-information.html

There is a service centre two miles form my house, but more importantly current Chevrolet models are just older reskinned vauxhall models, so apart from body panels, parts entirely available at the local VX dealer or factors.

Already the price of used cruze has dropped through the floor (not that they were high anyway)
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - legacylad
I had never even heard of a Chevrolet Cruze. Proven Vx running gear, looks ok, exceptionally good value, especially second hand. If you run one for several years then overall depreciation should be fine as no large initial outlay. What's not to like about one, unless you are a badge snob. Probably more reliable than a Jag Sportbrake.
...or perhaps than the Range Rover Sport that was stranded two lanes out on the M4 past Heathrow this morning.
>> Because normally I love arguments where I have no emotional involvement and can just be a specatator, but this one is too silly.

Quite a rare occasion this, but for once I have to agree with you (not about being a drama queen, but it getting too silly).
>> Childish, I know, but your tantrums are hilarious.

As are yours. You're so easy to wind up to you know.

>> The one genuine personal insult you quote

Oh there were others, but I couldn't be bothered searching for them. Those 2 I referred to were but just a couple of examples that I could think of from the top of my head.

>> you have some growing up to do.

As do you sunshine. Na-nana-naa-nah ;)
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Lygonos
tinyurl.com/dave-v-stan-weak-sauce
Just tuned into this. Can we let it go now and move on - How can I sell a bright yellow Ka...?
Sellotape pound coins all over it and charge a fiver?

;-)
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Skip
>> Sellotape pound coins all over it and charge a fiver?
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Does Sellotape stick to rust ?
I'll have you know that rust is filler..(in reality not. Seems in pretty good shape)
In fairness, when my wife rolled her Ka and the fire brigade cut it up to get her out, it was therefore left with all its private bits exposed. I went to the compound it was taken to to retrieve her stuff from it and couldn't help noticing that despite being by then more than 6 years old there was no sign at all of rust. I know a lot of them did but maybe some were painted better or something. It wasn't mollycoddled and lived outside all its life but it didn't, by then anyway, have any visible signs of rot.

Good fun wee car actually. Navy blue though. Yellow would be harder for me to love.
It is. You actually wear it. Bit like a tatty trainer from Wilkinsons (whatever that is) but it is a fine little motor.
I think it was the last car I/we had which had a cassette deck. I've got about 10 shoeboxes full of old cassettes stashed away somewhere. Can't bring myself to fling them. The Ka was the only remaining place to play them.

>> Just tuned into this. Can we let it go now and move on - How
>> can I sell a bright yellow Ka...?

Advertise it outside specsavers?
>> Can we let it go now and move on

I thought we already had done?
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Bill Payer
>> but the real surprise
>> is the 'Lounge' option; rather than leave the car and go to work, if I
>> want to wait and drink their coffee, it'll cost me £20. The coffee is nice
>> enough - but it ain't that good!
>>
>> Anyone finding this sort of thing elsewhere?
>>

Wanted to wait while daughter's Golf had its first service as it only takes an hour, but the dealer will only book one waiting appointment per half-day - so the lead-time was a month!

Apparently they hate people waiting as it takes the flexibility out of scheduling the workload.

Re MB - they're trying the enforce the MyService online pricing to make the ServiceCare package look attractive. I called my dealer and got a price I was OK with for my last service, and, as always, they were happy to waive the courtesy car charge as my insurance covers it. Got a spanking new E350CDi Sport too.
Here's a thing I didn't know. About a week ago a warning message came up on the dash of my Merc. It was indicating a problem with the airbag sensors. So, I phoned my local MB dealer where it goes for servicing and asked if I could bring it in for them to check it out. They immediately said I shouldn't drive it in case an airbag went off while I was driving it. Not sure how likely that was but it sounded potentially inconvenient.

So I asked what happens now and was invited to call the MB rescue line. They sent a guy out to look at it ( 8 o'clock at night mind you ) and he declared that it needed to go into the workshop for inspection ( aye well, I'd figured that much )

Following morning at 07.30 a flatbed truck arrives and the car goes away. In the meanwhile at about 9.00 o'clock the previous evening, after the first guy had left, I get a phone call from Europcar to say they had been authorised by MB to send me a hire car. Hang on a cotton picking says I, who's paying for this? It's a 4 year old car with well over 100,000 miles on it and is out of warranty.

Turns out, because it's always had main dealer, on time servicing that MB pick up the tab. So anyway, the guy from Europcar apologises profusely that at that time of night the only car he had available to deliver to me was a Toyota Avensis and that it might take an hour or so to get it to me etc etc. however, if I didn't mind waiting until morning ( I didn't, it was late evening and I was at home ) he would get me something more similar to my own car. Not especially bothered says I, drop something off in the morning then.

So back to the next day, the car is trailered away and within half an hour there's a brand new E class saloon on my drive free, gratis, and for nothing.

The diagnosis of the problem, the sourcing of the part and the repair took a week in total and in that time I ran up hundreds of miles in the renter, dropped it off at the dealer yesterday, paid the bill for the repair ( that wasn't cheap mind you ) and picked up my fixed and valeted car.

Pain in the rear having the problem of course but I think the service from MB was fantastic in the circs. Apparently, as long as I continue to have it serviced at an MB dealer the courtesy car thing stands at all times.

Not a lot of people know that.

Well, I didn't.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 18 Apr 15 at 11:19
>> Here's a thing I didn't know.
>> Well, I didn't.

Couple of points immediately spring to mind, first being that to me, an airbag fault light means its not going to go off at all, not go off unexpectedly, so i would have carried on using it. second, a week is a long time to get a thing fixed, and third - expensive? you would have had to hire a car for work, so i bet in the grand scheme of things that ended up quite reasonable
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - madf
Runfer

Fascinating story.

Reminds me of the miiionaire I worked for who has a 600SL in the 1990s. Ful MBSH - his annual repair/maintenance bills were £3k.. He did get a free courtesy Merc...Mercedes could afford it at those prices.

In the end, it turned out not to be the airbag/s at all. Apparently it has some gizmo which causes the bonnet to flip up or retract or something if you hit a pedestrian and the sensor for that was poorly. It made the airbag light come on though for some reason. However, it'll be getting an MOT in a month or three and having the airbag light on would have failed it.

The renter was a new 220 diesel saloon in SE trim. Noticeably less lively than the 250 engine in mine and not noticeably more frugal. Softer suspension too which was nice when cruising but it didn't like the corners as much. I've not driven a saloon for years and while it was definitely marginally quieter I'd not trade that for the versatility of an estate. I noticed it didn't have a spare wheel either and instead had an Adblue tank where it should be. The gear selector was on the steering column which I disliked for no logical reason other than a feeling that I'd prefer it on top of the transmission where mine is.

Had a good nosey at an E63 estate in the showroom. It oughtn't to have been nice in white but with a full length smoked glass roof, privacy glass and black wheels it somehow worked as a colour. I'd still have chosen a darker one though.

That reminds me, must pop and get a lottery ticket...
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Armel Coussine
Nice carefully chosen Mercedes preferably petrol and V6 or V8? Good honest trustworthy independent mechanic to deal with all but the real manufacturer stuff? Needn't cost an armanaleg in normal fat bum middle-class terms.

Or so I like to think. That stuff's out of my league these days.

Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - rtj70
>> Couple of points immediately spring to mind, first being that to me, an airbag fault light means
>> its not going to go off at all, not go off unexpectedly

When I had the airbag warning light come on with a Passat I had I was told don't worry it won't go off accidentally because all airbags would be disabled. Now I was doing a lot of motorway miles back then and I'd gone for a car with plenty of airbags (not just two) for safety reasons. To be told none would go off in an accident meant was not what you want (but better than going off by mistake I guess). So I got a hire/courtesy car whilst they worked on it.

And it took many visits to get it fixed. The warning light sometimes came back on before I'd got out of the car park!
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 18 Apr 15 at 19:00
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Armel Coussine
>> And it took many visits to get it fixed. The warning light sometimes came back on before I'd got out of the car park!

It was winding you up rtj. Some of them have a cruel sense of humour.
The other thing about the renter I forgot to mention was that it had a stop start system on it. Most of the time I was fine with that but ironically the times it was unbearable were in stop start traffic when it just became really irritating. Or for example, when I was nosing out of a junction in heavy traffic and the ruddy thing kept turning itself off and on. I know it's supposed to but it just annoyed me. Turned it off in the end. Eco freako nonsense.
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - sajid
Recent survey shows that german cars are less reliable, the last mercedes which was rock solid were in the 80s, 190s etc they were proper built.

Runfer had you ever had the warranty extended, that may have covered the faults in the car.
True, but so far anyway, in 120,000 miles it's the first time it has ever had any form of problem. Of course there may be more to follow but it has been pretty good, faultless in fact, up until that. Any kind of decent warranty doesn't come cheap and if it needs a bit of something sorting now and then it feels worth the risk at the moment. Especially if MB are prepared to loan me a car in those eventualities.

Let's put it this way, this week's repair, while not cheap, was a whole lot , in fact way cheaper than a week's hire of an E class and a recovery to a dealership.

Jury out on whether it gets changed this year anyway. I'm not in any rush to do so but if it starts misbehaving too much then that might happen. We'll see.
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Bill Payer
>> Apparently, as long as I continue to have it
>> serviced at an MB dealer the courtesy car thing stands at all times.
>>
>> Not a lot of people know that.
>>
>> Well, I didn't.

I'm pretty gobsmacked that you didn't know about Mobilo. It's the only reason to keep older MB's dealer serviced.

At one time MB had 4 versions of it and people got caught by varying levels of cover depending on when they bought the car. I think they've streamlined them now.

Especially bearing in mind you've full dealer service history they normally do safety related work as goodwill for 5yrs. Mine had an airbag warning light due to a failure in the steering colum wiring and it was done FOC at 5yrs old.
I'm taken aback too Bill. I knew it was covered while its warranty conditions applied but hadn't realised the the cover extended beyond that.

My main commercial worry is remaining 100% mobile at all times in a vehicle suitable for purpose. Knowing that element is permanently covered is great. Costs of any repairs, while of course a consideration, are actually of secondary concern and are sort of budgeted for by the very act of deliberately not spending out on a new car for a while.

I'd have a different view if it was a private car for private use and privately funded of course.

If it became regularly unreliable then the message is clear but so far it hasn't and this instance was relatively minor.

We'll see how it goes.
Didn't the Espace start off with a seatbelt warning issue........

Sure you'll be fine.

< giggle >
Stop it now!
>> I'd have a different view if it was a private car for private use and
>> privately funded of course.

Likewise.

At very least I would have expected MB to cough up a good amount towards sorting out your problem, on a car that is, after all, only 4 years old.

However, I could easily manage without the use of a hire car for a week or so.
>> I'm pretty gobsmacked that you didn't know about Mobilo. It's the only reason to keep
>> older MB's dealer serviced.
>>

I have to say I didn't realise mobilo was still going and that my car was covered, so I've learnt something too! I remember the confusion as MB kept changing the rules, but didn't realise it still existed. I feel happier now that I never quite got round to organising breakdown cover when it hit 3 years old :)
 Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - CGNorwich
Is not the charge for the "Lounge" option because with that option you get a fixed time appointment rather than leaving the car on "Drop and Go" basis where the dealership has the freedom of a whole day to work on the car and can fit the work to suit their requirements?

Not really about the coffee.

Seems fair enough.
Mercedes Benz fixed price servicing for cars seven years old or more.

The Roadside Assistance thing is lost when using this reduced price service.

tinyurl.com/kwlybaf
Last edited by: Duncan on Mon 20 Apr 15 at 07:18
>> you get a fixed time appointment rather than leaving the car on "Drop and Go" basis where the dealership has the freedom of a whole day to work on the car and can fit the work to suit their requirements?<<

>> Seems fair enough.<<

Not to me.

I had a dental appointment last Thursday at 9.30. I have an appointment with a practice nurse next Monday at 11.30.

They are happy enough to fit me in at a mutually convenient time, as is my Japanese dealership, my solicitor, my local optician, as well as umpteen others.

Customer service should be paramount.

>> Customer service should be paramount.

Its is if you pay for it.
It seems to be available to me without the extra expense.

Japanese dealership, possibly...
It hadn't occurred to me that they would work on the 'Lounge' customers' cars first. That, of course, comes with a resourcing implication. I'm only going by what's on the site at the moment; no doubt the story will change once I get them on the phone.
What it says on the MB site:

Fixed appointment times, reserved parking and a dedicated service manager come as standard.

With our Lounge option, you can make the most of our improved facilities whilst we work on your Mercedes-Benz, safe in the knowledge you’ll be back on the road as soon as possible.

The dedicated service manager is the bloke who rings me at work to say the brake pads are a bit thin. He's included in all four options.
But not a fixed appointment. that's what you are paying extra for. If you don't want tp pay it just use the drop and go. I'm sure they will still let you have a coffee.

>> It seems to be available to me without the extra expense.
>>
>> Japanese dealership, possibly...

They may not explicitly be telling you you are paying for it. But you are.
>>It seems to be available to me without the extra expense.

You know that isn't true.

Customer service is part of the business costs and thus is included in their pricing.
>> Customer service is part of the business costs and thus is included in their pricing.

Quite so, Mark, but perhaps I'll get an MB dealership to quote for my next service and MOT and compare the two.

Mercedes Benz - free coffee that isn't free - Falkirk Bairn
>>They are happy enough to fit me in at a mutually convenient time

can you say that about your GP?
>> can you say that about your GP?

Yes I can. And I am sorry for those who can't.
Well, it's booked for next week. A bit of pre-call research and a nice 'what can you do' chat with the amiable service receptionist and the price came down by 22% to less than I'd budgeted. There are a couple of long-interval consumables due this time, so it was never going to be super-cheap, but this seems like value for money. Maintains my Mobilo membership too.

No loan or collection necessary because Mrs Beest can walk on to work, but before she does I'll ask her to make sure she tries the coffee.
 Mercedes Benz - should have gone to Audi ? ( free meals & drinks ) - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-32605972
 Mercedes Benz - should have gone to Audi ? ( free meals & drinks ) - legacylad
Taking my car to a main dealer next week after a recall letter. Something to do with a passenger airbag replacement. It will be the first time I have had any work done at a main dealers for twenty odd years. Apparently it will take between 90 mins and two hours, so I'm taking a book! Hopefully they have proper Yorkshire Tea! The service contact promised a free check and valet, which is nice, as the cars flanks are plastered with Scottish coo poo. All gratis.
It's a BMW dealer so what is the dress code?
 Mercedes Benz - should have gone to Audi ? ( free meals & drinks ) - WillDeBeest
Quite a bit of fake tan in evidence at the one I visited on Monday. Not on me or my sales contact, I should point out.

Odd mixture of clientele: several solid-citizen types like me, and a few who showed that BMWs still appeal to the bling crowd.
 Mercedes Benz - should have gone to Audi ? ( free meals & drinks ) - swiss tony
>> It's a BMW dealer so what is the dress code?
>>

Tee shirt, hoody, 3/4 length trackie bottoms pulled down to show your pants, and a back to front baseball cap.
 Mercedes Benz - should have gone to Audi ? ( free meals & drinks ) - legacylad
I can do all that, to excess, minus the trackie bottoms. Not had any of those since I retired from Sunday morning pub football many years ago.
I found better things to do on a Sunday morning
Walking in t'Dales just in case you were wondering (I'm fibbing)
 Mercedes Benz - should have gone to Audi ? ( free meals & drinks ) - WillDeBeest
...minus the trackie bottoms.
You mean you'd turn up at the showroom in just your pants? And risk the sack?
Latest Forum Posts