Motoring Discussion > Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 22   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 111

Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 22 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 23 *****

Top Gear chat.

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 21 is HERE:-
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 1 Apr 16 at 13:43

The Stigs new TV show - VxFan
The Stig and Dermot O'Leary are to present a new BBC driving show:-

www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33863169/the-stig-and-dermot-oleary-in-new-bbc-driving-show

So, that's quashed rumours of Dermot O'Leary being a co-presenter on TG.

The Stigs new TV show - Focusless
>> The Stig and Dermot O'Leary are to present a new BBC driving show

They call it a 'driving show' but it's not about driving in the way that Top Gear was (accepting it was for entertainment rather than education).

The Getaway Car, presented by Dermot and featuring Top Gear's "tame racing driver", will see families and friends compete in a set of driving challenges.

The Stigs new TV show - Zero
>> >> The Stig and Dermot O'Leary

YAWN

Switched off already

The Stigs new TV show - Skip
The Getaway Car, presented by Dermot and featuring Top Gear's "tame racing driver", will see
>> families and friends compete in a set of driving challenges.
>>

Can't wait for that to start - not !!!

The Stigs new TV show - Crankcase
Didn't there used to be a programme just like that, where people had to do things like reverse a caravan into a tight space against the clock, or change a wheel blindfold, and other such manoeuvres? My memory, notorious for its accuracy, would place that in the eighties perhaps.

No idea what it might have been called, unless it was "Driver of the year" or some similar inanity.

The Stigs new TV show - Bobby
I remember that program for one thing - Roger Daltrey doing a manoeuvre in an Audi Quattro and accidentally left the handbrake on the whole time. As a young kid seeing the smoke from the spinning front wheels, and the smoke from the dragging back wheels made my day!

The Stigs new TV show - Ian (Cape Town)
Just watched one episode.
It was filmed just a few miles up the road from me.
Absolutely dire, isn't it?

The Stigs new TV show - VxFan
>> Absolutely dire, isn't it?

It sure is.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35341953

Chris Evans selling a few cars. - henry k
I guess he is too busy with his new role.

Loads of details a pics in the DM.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3195023/New-Gear-host-Chris-Evans-having-11MILLION-car-sale-including-six-Ferraris-three-classic-Jaguars-Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang-replica.html

Jobs - Crankcase
Here's your opportunity, for you or anyone you know, to be part of the new show. Don't all rush at once.

www.grapevinejobs.com/employers_jobs/4783,The_New_Clarkson_Hammond_and_May_Car_Show.html

Jobs - Alanovich
Do you get company gum shields?

More Argie Bargie - VxFan
Why can't they just let sleeping dogs lie?

A judge in Argentina has been told to reopen a criminal investigation into former Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson's infamous drive through the country.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34675073

More Argie Bargie - Armel Coussine
>> Why can't they just let sleeping dogs lie?

To the Argentinians it isn't a sleeping dog, it's still a live issue. They think the British stole the Falkland Islands from them (their case is pretty feeble though), and have a bit of a thing about the British in general. Otherwise they would hardly have noticed some foreigners in cars in a country as big as Argentina.

I think Ms Kirchner would like to treat it as a sleeping dog, but the relations of the troops and others used as cannon-fodder by the former military regime won't let her.

More Argie Bargie - RattleandSmoke
I checked on MOT history on that Porsche what is interesting is from 2012 it only seems to have done about 40 miles a year. I suspect the Top Gear production team bought the car a few years before this trip was filmed. If a registration number is changed, I wonder if it will still find the cars MOTs before the number plate was changed?

More Argie Bargie - VxFan
The MOT check site (the one that was recently posted) only goes back until 2005. My sister's 1999 Audi has a private plate and the MOT history on that site goes back until 2005. She's only owned the car for approx. 3 or 4 years, so yes, the previous MOT history will still be there before the plate was changed.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 1 Nov 15 at 04:12

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - No FM2R
Oh this is going to go well.....

www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34809758

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - VxFan
I suppose he's got to earn his money somehow while the show is off air.

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - Slidingpillar
More likely he was approached by Slater Gordon. The firm does have a reputation as ambulance chasers.
 Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - mikeyb
I'm assuming his case will be against the beeb rather the JC himself.

Wonder if JC even suggested he sued to get a pay off before moving to a certain online retailer

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - Lygonos
>>I'm assuming his case will be against the beeb rather the JC himself.

Both

There will be little doubt about the validity of the case.

I expect there will be lawyer - lawyer negotiation over the next 6-12 months and an undisclosed sum will change hands to avoid court.

He will regret his public statements of not wishing to press charges - like such a concept exists anyway.

He'll get a negotiated pay off, the lawyers will do very nicely, he will struggle to get work again.
 Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - R.P.
If the Producer guy is in an Union the company in question may well be their nominees. Anyway sp called "ambulance chasers" are the only way that ordinary Joe Soaps can access the legal system these days.

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - commerdriver
>> Anyway so called "ambulance chasers" are the only way that ordinary Joe Soaps
>> can access the legal system these days.
>>
Sorry RP do you honestly believe these sort of organisations are a good representation of the legal profession, given your background?

I ask because your view of them is similar to that of a small number of solicitor friends in Glasgow who I have discussed this sort of firm with.

It does make me wonder if I am the only person who thinks the sort of legal profession we get with those whose only interest seems to be suing someone or other including those who are now chasing the "lets sue tour previous solicitors to see if you can get even more money" is not a good thing, to put it mildly.

I have always believed that in the vast majority of situations the people who will gain most and lose least in a civil dispute are the lawyers involved
I'm slightly corrupted by the CAB view. Since legal aid has gone for most things, JS can't afford a Solicitor for anything. Even the CAB now recommend/advice looking for a no win no fee company for personal injury. An acquaintance of mine is due to be interviewed on suspicion of benefit fraud in the next couple of weeks - her solicitor has estimated that it will cost her around £500 quid on a basic level, accepting that's a criminal matter it's still a lot of money. She can't afford that so apart from basic representation that she'll get free....

NWNF go for a flat rate, I've noticed of late that the 20% of yore is creeping up....one company wanted 35%....

Fair chance the producer chap is an Union member or has a professional body so maybe that's how these solicitors are funded.

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - zippy
It is a sad state of affairs when one cannot afford representation to defend you against the full weight of the State.

There was a comedian recently who allegedly spent over £1m on defence for himself in the Yewtree saga and now can't afford to pay the bills.

It does seem unfair that the prosecution can have the full weight of the State behind them but a defendant has to fund their defence them selves or use the paltry allowance given by appointed representation.
 Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - henry k
Apparently the racial slur was "....a lazy Irish c*** ".
£100K has also been mooted.

>>the racial slur was "....a lazy Irish c*** ".

So he's objecting to the word "Irish"??

£100k? Add a chunk more once they bring up drivel like this....

www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/katie-hopkins-blames-producer-oisin-5409786

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - Alanovich
Probably more objecting to the words 'lazy' and 'c*%!' being associated with 'Irish', in an attempt to imply those concepts are intrinsic to the concept of 'Irish' (a common prejudice on mainland Britain in my experience), and in an abusive and demeaning context, illustrated by the confirmed physical act of violence which accompanied them.

I don't think you're suggesting that someone Irish, or of recent Irish descent, would object to being simply called 'Irish', are you?

I suspect that he didn't really object to any of the insult in detail. If someone insults me then my feelings really focus on the fact that I was attacked, not the words used.

There was clearly abuse and assault here, but discrimination or racial abuse? Them be lawyers' tactics.
 Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - Zero
I had a huge amount of sympathy for Oisin Tymon, that oaf Clarksons behaviour was appalling, bullying and brutish, and Tymons, in response in declining to bring the proper criminal complaint was forgiving and conciliatory.

Now however, having declined to press charges then, bringing this racial abuse crap up makes him a nasty crappy money grabbing little prick with generally less moral fibre than Clarkson (who has the moral fibre of a dung heap)
 Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - Slidingpillar
I had a huge amount of sympathy for Oisin Tymon...

Yup for sure, past tense it is.
I still have. "Pressing charges" is an option for JC to be brought before a criminal court. That would have huge repercussions for JC as a professional. In addition the burden of proof is much higher than taking a personal injury route is a sound one, lower burden of proof as well as better route to getting some money from the situation. By the way Slater Gordon is contracted by various Trades Unions including Porspect - which the the "victim" may well be a member of...

The most that "pressing charges" would attract would be Common Assault, the allegation of racial aggravation would attract a more serious charge potentially - but I reckon the guy was given good advice.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 16 Nov 15 at 14:26
 Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - Bromptonaut
>> More likely he was approached by Slater Gordon. The firm does have a reputation as
>> ambulance chasers.

Slater Gordon are a legal multinational who have been aggressive in acquiring UK legal practices as soon as such things were allowed. Aside from anything they pick up from trip = claim advertising they've multiple contracts with Unions and societies; including the Cyclists Touring Club.

Jeremy Clarkson has apologised to the Top Gear producer he punched after settling a £100,000 racial discrimination and injury claim.

Mr Tymon's lawyers said the case had been settled but did not give details of the settlement.

It is understood to be in excess of £100,000 ($140,000), an amount to which both Clarkson and the BBC contributed.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35648682

Clarkson gets a plaque - VxFan
The scene of Jeremy Clarkson's infamous fracas with a BBC Top Gear producer has been commemorated with a plaque at the hotel where the altercation took place.

"Here lies the BBC career of Jeremy Clarkson who had a fracas on this spot, 4 March 2015," reads the plaque. "The rest is legend."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34910367

And the new presenters are..... - VxFan
Motoring journalist Chris Harris (who?)

German racing driver Sabine Schmitz (good call)

and

2001 Formula One runner-up David Coulthard (zzzzzz)

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/12066136/Who-will-be-Top-Gear-co-presenters-alongside-Chris-Evans.html

And the new presenters are..... - sooty123
>> Motoring journalist Chris Harris (who?)
>>

I think he's big on PH. Writes quite a few articles for them and others.

And the new presenters are..... - Stuartli
Sabine is someone quite exceptional. Amazed she's not been snapped up (by hook or by crook) long before now by the show, although I seem to recall she turned down at least one invitation.

Would have made a superb Stig...:-)

And the new presenters are..... - No FM2R
I'm sure that she's an excellent driver, but I find her quite boring when she speaks.

So yes, an excellent Stig.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 23 Dec 15 at 19:48

And the new presenters are..... - legacylad
I've liked watching & listening to Chris Harris for years. Lots of his stuff on YouTube.
If he is the new presenter I might actually start watching agin

And the new presenters are..... - Stuartli
>>I'm sure that she's an excellent driver, but I find her quite boring when she speaks. >>

Can't recall hearing her speak. But her driving did all the talking...:-)

And the new presenters are..... - mikeyb
>> Sabine is someone quite exceptional. Amazed she's not been snapped up (by hook or by
>> crook) long before now by the show, although I seem to recall she turned down
>> at least one invitation.
>>
>> Would have made a superb Stig...:-)
>>

Might be wrong, but I thought she was already a presenter on German TG?

I don't really recall Coulthard having a sparkling personality

And the new presenters are..... - rtj70
I think she presents on a different car show in Germany.

And the new presenters are..... - Alastairw
DC is actually wittier than many think. And of course out of a job now F1 has gone to C4. Throwing him a bone to avoid contract trouble?

>> Might be wrong, but I thought she was already a presenter on German TG?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabine_Schmitz

"Since September 2006, Schmitz has co-hosted a motoring show on German television, D Motor on the DMAX TV channel"
"In each show, Schmitz takes on another challenge, for example Schmitz in a Ferrari 360 vs. a 1200 hp Race Truck, or Schmitz in a Formula Renault race car vs. a race sidecar."

And the new presenters are..... - Crankcase
Will the three of them go on a caravan trip and set it on fire? Will one of them get suspended over a river in a tent for snoring? Will they make cars that sink whilst sewing the leather to their trousers? Which one is the clown? Who does the dry insults?

If they don't do the cocking about, which I imagine they won't, then it's just Fifth Gear with higher production values. Bored already. That what Top Gear was before the Clarkson reinvention and it was pretty dull.

And the new presenters are..... - CGNorwich
"If they don't do the cocking about, which I imagine they won't, then it's just Fifth Gear with higher production values. Bored already. That what Top Gear was before the Clarkson reinvention and it was pretty dull."

You believe a car program about cars but without juvenile messing about wouldn't be worth watching?

Well, do you watch Fifth Gear?

And the new presenters are..... - Zero
no-one does, which is why its working its way down the list of broadcasters.

And the new presenters are..... - CGNorwich
So the choice has to be between a program aimed at 13 year olds and the terminally boring Fifth Gear.

Is there no one out there who can produce an intelligent, informative, investigative program about cars and motoring?

That would be brilliant, and we're about to find out.

For me, I have to get over the ghastly Chris Evans block, but that's just me.

And the new presenters are..... - madf
I'll wait a year until I see some feedback.

It's like F1: boring with a few moments of excitement..

Can't be bottomed.

And the new presenters are..... - Ian (Cape Town)
'Monkey' Harris is bright, witty, and a better driver than any of the old lot.
He did a gig here a few years back on hot hatches, at the local racetrack, and had the crowd in stitches, and awe of his prowess.

Sabine is infamous for hooning the Ring in a Transit in just over 10 minutes. (On Top Gear)
"Get out the way! b***** English Bikers!"

DC isn't as dour as many fellow scots. Like Andy Murray, or Gordon Brown. Speaks sense.

The downfall is the ginger one. I have had the displeasure of watching TGIF recently, and can see absolutely no redeeming features in him - he is a loudmouth bellend, whose 'appeal' seems to be to lowest-common-denominator types.

>> and
>>
>> 2001 Formula One runner-up David Coulthard (zzzzzz)

Changed his mind. He's going to front Channel 4's Formula One coverage instead.

tinyurl.com/z7jzrcw - Daily Mail

Report also says that no one has been signed up yet as co-presenters.

Seems like a right old cock up. Apparently Evans can't talk and drive at the same time, which is holding up filming by taking as many ten attempts to get his lines right – and the crew are getting frustrated with him.

He even crashed a new Jaguar during his first day on the Top Gear track in Surrey.

So. Matt LeBlanc is the second presenter then. I don't know anything about him at all, so at least that won't prejudice me against him when they launch in May, I suppose.

www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/friends-star-matt-leblanc-confirmed-as-new-host-of-top-gear-a6852981.html

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 5 Feb 16 at 10:36

And the new presenters are..... - Alanovich
Sounds like it could be a rabbit form the hat.

No Harris and Schmitz any more?
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 5 Feb 16 at 10:36

Who said there'd be 3 presenters? I thought the aim was to come up with a different format for Top Gear. Sticking with 3 presenters was therefore unlikely.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 5 Feb 16 at 10:35

And the new presenters are..... - No FM2R
www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-02-04/why-matt-leblanc-is-the-perfect-choice-for-top-gear
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 5 Feb 16 at 10:35

And the new presenters are..... - Armel Coussine
These cats are very enviable, must be one of the world's best jobs for a car person.

On the other hand, TV in any form can be very frustrating and humiliating for anyone stuck under its very hot bright lights. So it probably isn't all a barrel of laughs, more like hard work chucked away by insouciant producers, or rejected and worse still interfered with by car manufacturers and their agents.

So presenters need a carapace, an ability to weather anything and smile.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 5 Feb 16 at 18:27

Now the rumours another of the (5?) presenters will be Eddie Jordan. I suppose he is looking for employment at the BBC now. As is Coulthard presumably.

DC has followed F1 to Channel 4, where he will be lead presenter, I believe.

I get the impression new TG will be Evans as anchor with a variety of others coming and going as the need arises, in a One Show kind of way.

And the new presenters are..... - henry k
>> Now the rumours another of the (5?) presenters will be Eddie Jordan.y.
>>
No longer a rumour
www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35548081

>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35548081

"TV presenter Rory Reid have also been signed to co-present the programme."

Who he?

"Newcomer Rory Reid previously presented for CNET's Car Tech channel, and also had a starring role in Sky 1's Gadget Geeks series"

Oh, so that's why I've never heard of him.

"Chris Harris is well known for presenting various motoring programmes on YouTube."

Not seen any of his work.

And the new presenters are..... - Ian (Cape Town)
>> "Chris Harris is well known for presenting various motoring programmes on YouTube."
>>
>> Not seen any of his work.
>>
Maybe do some searches - I rate him as one of the best chaps around.
He did a hot hatch review for one of the local magazines, and it was an amazing day out - he drove the various renaults, opels, VWs etc round the local track, and gave 'to camera' reviews straight after each drive.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=575T-v_F_4E

NB:
My mate Chris's yellow peril GSI on 3:13.

The roads I use from about 4:10 onwards...

at 6:50 they do the drag strip thing - that is the same place they filmed the abysmal 'Getaway' show.

Indeed. Chris is new to me too, but I thought this was pretty good presentation. Could be a good sign for the programme.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=58j0Mmj41m0

Could be a sign it's not all going to be Chris Evans... like it was always mostly JC. With two side-kicks.

I say it could be good. I think Chris Evans is okay some of the time.

And the new presenters are..... - BiggerBadderDave
Never heard of Rory Reid or Chris Harris either. They sound like a pair of Star Trek Redshirts - you don't give a crap about them and you never see them again on the series. Expendable.

And the new presenters are..... - R.P.
Private Eye has a whole cast list of possibles, Brian Cox and Stephen Hawking were my favourites

Last reboot of Top Gear, James May (an Autocar employee before they sacked him... before TG reboot of course) was perhaps seen as the one who knew about cars??? And the new Harris is ex Autocar.

I do remember his name now from reading that for many years. And looked at a few of his online videos. I rate him above May.

I hope the second reboot of Top Gear works. I'd like to see it somewhere between the original Top Gear and the previous Clarkson version.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 12 Feb 16 at 00:47

An example of Chris Harris: Golf R vs M235i

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtOZNp6GOxI

I see him better than a lot of previous presenters for reviewing cars. But he's not going to be like May, Hammond and Clarkson for silly things.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 12 Feb 16 at 01:00

And the new presenters are..... - Franc1s96
Oh yeah Harris is going to be superb, I think him along with Schmidtz and Jordan would have been a great trio, I find having LeBlanc especially a little bit of a gimmick, although I would be happy to be proved wrong.

If they do it right, then the right presenter will do bits suited to them. Rather than three buffoons messing/joking around most of the time.

It sounds quite positive to me. Harris and Smitdt for proper driving. LeBlanc for silly bits across the pond. Eddie Jordan for Motorsport (and his connections). Evans holds it all together as the genial host. As others have said, somewhere between original TopGear and the most recent iteration.

Well I said this early this morning. Don't know about others:

"I hope the second reboot of Top Gear works. I'd like to see it somewhere between the original Top Gear and the previous Clarkson version."

And the new presenters are..... - Bobby
I hope it carries on where the other left off. Agree with the idea it might be a One Show type thing where they all have done their own bits and come back to discuss.

There are now plenty of budding car reviewers not least HJ who do the "car road tests" and tell you how many suitcases you can get in the boot type stuff. Doesn't need to be prime time TV.

And the new presenters are..... - R.P.
They could do HJ to do passive - aggressive road tests.
 Flop Gear - VxFan
The saga continues.

The first episode now delayed for 2 weeks, and only 6 episodes to be shown, not 8.

www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-02-26/chris-evans-new-top-gear-will-miss-may-8th-bbc-launch-date
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 27 Feb 16 at 20:54

Flop Gear - No FM2R
I deeply dislike Evans as a presenter, but I still fancy that this show stands more chance of being a success than Clarkson et al.

Flop Gear - Armel Coussine
>> I deeply dislike Evans as a presenter, but I still fancy that this show stands more chance of being a success than Clarkson et al.

Why FMR? What was wrong with them?

(Actually they did annoy me by pretending to know nothing about cars).

Not a staged bit of publicity seeking, I'm sure....

www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-35800187

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - bathtub tom
How much damage have done to their image by closing Tower bridge on Saturday and other parts of London on Sunday, causing inconvenience to so many people. If Boris approved this, it wouldn't have done him much good either.

Personally, I'm surprised it was ever allowed.

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - sooty123
I would imagine London is quite popular for films and tv shows, i would think it's fairly routine?

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - CGNorwich
Fees for location shooting are a lucrative source of income for cities such as New York and London as well as a good way of promoting the city.

>> Fees for location shooting are a lucrative source of income for cities such as New
>> York and London as well as a good way of promoting the city.

Indeed, they have film liaison units that actively promote the city as a film set, scouting and cataloguing locations by film type and genre, and provide all the liaison services required (permissions, road closures etc) for filming.

The reason you need a permit to commercially film is so they make money out of it!

>> How much damage have done to their image by closing Tower bridge on Saturday and
>> other parts of London on Sunday, causing inconvenience to so many people. If Boris approved
>> this, it wouldn't have done him much good either.
>>
>> Personally, I'm surprised it was ever allowed.

Were you inconvenienced? Did you hear the traffic reports on radio for some long while before hand warning of this? did you see all the pre planned diversion routes and signs? do you know how much money Boris charged for this?

I am guessing the answer to all of those is no.

>> How much damage have done to their image by closing Tower bridge on Saturday and
>> other parts of London on Sunday, causing inconvenience to so many people.

Roads look fairly quiet to me - apart from the noise of the Mustang ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwcqGS06J3o

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLCVBtiZBdE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANbAezhZb2k

That's one hell of a noisy beast. (the car that is, not Chris Evans)

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - commerdriver
First difference in the new top gear somebody else is doing the silly stuff while the presenter is in the passenger seat.

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - Fullchat
Reports that they did doughnuts around the Cenotaph in Whitehall. Crossed the line?

In my book yes.
 Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - Runfer D'Hills
Or just another excuse for those who have a permanent propensity to be upset about something, to be upset again?
Funny thing is, those commemorated on the Cenotaph died for the rights for those who wish to noon about and offend.

Where do you draw the line, ban the bus routes that go past?

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - Old Navy
So is this acceptable?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2045607/Charlie-Gilmour-didnt-know-Cenotaph-grew-TV.html

>> Where do you draw the line, ban the bus routes that go past?

Absolutely. The scandal, if there is one, is that the national war memorial is on a traffic island in a busy London street?

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - nice but dim
Silly question but the resultant tyre marks left are unsightly.

Do they linger for a while or does rain and road traffic scrub them away?

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - henry k
In a new interview..

Chris Evans says footage should be cut

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35800187

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - Old Navy
>> Chris Evans says footage should be cut.
>>

Damage limitation.

Westminster council have said they gave permission for a drive along Whitehall, and did not know about any donuts.

Aye right.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 14 Mar 16 at 14:31
 Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - Mapmaker
The cenotaph is in the middle of a public road. He wasn't doing donuts in Westminster Abbey over the grave of the soldier who is not known (sic).

Doughnuts...

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - Ian (Cape Town)
The road markings, or presenters?

Right, having seen the film some things are apparent.

1/ There were no donuts round the Cenotaph,

2/ The filming was not actually that near the Cenotaph. The film to be aired was not shot with the cenotaph in scene, and scenes of the shot in progress are distorted by the foreshortening effect of the zoom lens.

So in reality what we have is a film shot in Whitehall near to Westminster

>Funny thing is, those commemorated on the Cenotaph died for the rights for those who wish to noon about and offend.

Well, a bit simplistic, but surely that is the point.

When did we get to the point where everything had to be approved by everybody?

>>
>> When did we get to the point where everything had to be approved by everybody?
>>
Roughly corresponds to the invention of the Internet.

Earlier than that, I feel. That old bat Whitehouse felt she was in the position to approve or disapprove stuff she had no interest in watching. Although she found more than I ever could.

Moral disapproval of aspects of human behaviour by vociferous elements of the population has always been with us. The internet makes it so much easier to publish and gain support for extreme and populist views.

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - Focusless
Saw footage of Chris Evans apologising on one of the TV news programmes earlier, whether he needed to or not, and he did sound genuinely apologetic FWIW. Gave the impression it wasn't his idea.

>>Gave the impression it wasn't his idea.

Like Clarkson and *that* number plate?

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - rtj70
I'm sure the target audience for an American racing around London in an American car (souped up, ugly Mustang) is America. What a waste of my licence fee.

>> . What a waste of my licence fee.

Alt view: Your licence fee is invested in returns for sale of TG in US markets. Net return 15%.

Profit invested in UK TV production.

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - Alastairw
When did you become Oldgit, rtj? :)

Top Gear Discussion - Volume 22 - Duncan
>> Funny thing is, those commemorated on the Cenotaph died for the rights for those who
>> wish to noon about and offend.

Most of them died because they were conscripted into the services.

Latest Forum Posts