Motoring Discussion > Car tax query Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: BiggerBadderDave Replies: 21

Car tax query - BiggerBadderDave
A friend became a widow last month so I stayed with her to help with various affairs. (No, Zero, I didn’t [but I will]).

His car became her car with about 5 months of tax. His bookkeeper told her to send them for a car tax rebate and reapply when she became the owner of the car.

I'm just curious. The car is taxed full stop, whoever owns it, yes? Just overzealous bookkeeping regarding a dead man's final tax bill? Or what?
 Car tax query - movilogo
www.gov.uk/tell-dvla-about-bereavement/keeping-the-vehicle
 Car tax query - hjd
So - you send correspondence to the DVLA Sensitive Casework team.
Presumably in all other cases you have to use the Insensitive Casework team?
 Car tax query - Old Navy
>> www.gov.uk/tell-dvla-about-bereavement/keeping-the-vehicle
>>

Thanks for that, a copy of these pages has been placed into our "What to do if" file which our adult kids know the location of. Hopefully it won't be required for a good few years yet but if something should happen while we are roaming the country or world.........
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 08:47
 Car tax query - smokie
Doesn't the internet cover Scotland very well? :-)

Actually it's a good idea. I think I'm a bit younger but we have started consolidating all kinds of info, but mainly financial at first, to make things easier in the event of an early demise. Like account details into a spreadsheet.

Also have a standard algorithm for generating passwords for any new sites, so if I were to croak SWMBO would be able to work out the password if she didn't know it. The algorithm is also documented in the "knowledgebase spreadsheet".

I've also started grabbing pdf's of manuals and stuff that comes with new devices (or if unavailable online I can scan them), and putting them on the NAS, thus freeing up a drawer from hardly-ever-used manuals.

Also letters from my pensions people, utility bills and other "official" stuff gets downloaded or scanned, and saved electronically.

I have got a sound backup strategy!!
 Car tax query - Hard Cheese
>> A friend became a widow last month so I stayed with her to help with
>> various affairs. (No, Zero, I didn’t [but I will]).
>>

So you aren't one of her affairs then?

>>
The car is taxed full stop, whoever owns it, yes?
>>

I would have thoughts so though I haven't read Movilogo's link.

It will need transferring into her name from a registered keeper I guess, unless it is going to be sold imminently.

Well I never. Dying can be complicated after all.
 Car tax query - tyrednemotional
>> Well I never. Dying can be complicated after all.
>>

The regulations are usually framed such as not to unduly stress the deceased, though.....

;-)
 Car tax query - henry k
>> >> Well I never. Dying can be complicated after all.
>> >>
>> The regulations are usually framed such as not to unduly stress the deceased, though... ;-)
>>
Well that is one less thing to worry about.

Strange how " offshore " can trigger different thoughts last week to this week :-(

>>
>> Strange how " offshore " can trigger different thoughts last week to this week :-(
>>

So what did "offshore" mean last week? To me it was some challenging sailing at the weekend ...
 Car tax query - henry k
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=24289
 Car tax query - No FM2R
I wish we didn't need to keep referring to Brady. He's dead and gone, can't we leave him that way? And in a car tax thread? talk about obsession.
 Car tax query - Zero
its called thread drift. In this case offshore drift. when we get to talk about Chile, its continental drift.
 Car tax query - No FM2R
I get that, but there must be better places to drift to than that evil murderous git. The best thing for us is to stop him being relevant. Which is what he repeatedly tried to be.
>> I get that, but there must be better places to drift to than that evil
>> murderous git. The best thing for us is to stop him being relevant. Which is
>> what he repeatedly tried to be.
>>

Agree totally!
 Car tax query - Cliff Pope
>> its called thread drift. In this case offshore drift. when we get to talk about
>> Chile, its continental drift.
>>

Soon it will be time to talk about snow drift and winter tyres.

I'll drift back to the same widow, non-car related, though.

So, the couple rent in London. They both have signatures on the rental agreement with the agency. She can't afford to rent that house without his income so she informs them that she (and three young kids) have to downsize or move out of the area. They say, tough, there's a contract and you have to honour it.

My thoughts are that the contract is terminated because one is deceased. And a court would be sympathetically in her favour, should it get that far. But what do I know? (FA obvs). Citizens Advice? Any ideas?
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 12:04
 Car tax query - No FM2R
It all looks a bit grim , to be honest...

www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/2014/05/21/what-happens-to-a-tenancy-when-the-tenant-dies/

Though you would think that a court would take a dim view of a landlord being unhelpful.

Proper advice is needed, as a minimum Citizen's Advice Burea.
 Car tax query - Bromptonaut
>> Proper advice is needed, as a minimum Citizen's Advice Burea.

The Housing Charity Shelter england.shelter.org.uk/ would be my 'goto' for a starter this sort of thing. They also have a helpline 0808 800 4444. Right of survivor is dual edged; if tenancy ended landlord would be favoured.

Is she entitled to any death benefit either from insurance or the DWP?

Seriously reduced income and she's got kids and Housing etc costs. Is he getting all Child Tax/Working Tax credit she might be due and could she get Housing Benefit to help with rent. Websites turn2us.org.uk and entitledtoo www.entitledto.co.uk do a pretty accurate self help check for benefits and grants.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 12:43
www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/2014/05/21/what-happens-to-a-tenancy-when-the-tenant-dies/

It's a double edged sword, on one hand it means that the landlord can't kick her out, on the other hand she is responsible for the remainder of the term.
Jesus, it is grim reading isn’t it? I can imagine the landlord would be far more understanding and sympathetic than the agency that is representing him.

The nightmare continues. He worked in a similar way I do with a couple of clients, different trade. The project finishes, the client pays me, I pay illustrators, image libraries and print houses. Simple. But if the chain were to break - death and a closing account - it becomes a monumental nightmare. Large chunks of money are owed but some clerk in an ad agency is too confused to ok it despite the bank having approved it going to his wife. She bombards them with calls, and further down the chain they bombard her. Yet it stays on the clerk's pile called 'I'll ignore it till it goes away'. Makes me angry. I can rant but I can't help.

Same as my marriage, she's the foreigner in alien land. That makes it ten times more complicated. It's a sharp learning curve ahead. Even the telly is tied up with his codes.

I'll send her those websites, cheers.
 Car tax query - Duncan
>>
>> My thoughts are that the contract is terminated because one is deceased. And a court
>> would be sympathetically in her favour, should it get that far. But what do I
>> know? (FA obvs). Citizens Advice? Any ideas?
>>

A joint and several liability - or doesn't that apply with tenancies?
Latest Forum Posts