Motoring Discussion > Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapter Buying / Selling
Thread Author: PeterS Replies: 9

Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapter - PeterS
Some of you might remember the 1994 Audi convertible I bought back in 2013. Yes, it really was almost 5 years ago. In 2016 it suffered a failed heater matrix, and despite a fine bodge bypassing it (prompted by Dave I think) it was never really used in anger after that. The MOT expired in 2017, and I just SORN’ed it. I had every intention of re MOTing it, but you know how it is, it wasn’t needed and it never made it to the top of the list of things to do!

So, in a fit of organisation I booked it in for an MOT last Monday, and the weekend before attached the battery charger. It hadn’t been moved for 6 months, there was no chance it was going to turn over - I didn’t even try. I arranged 48 hours of insurance cover to get it to the garage, so on the Sunday I thought I’d take it for a spin, pump up the tyres at the petrol station, slosh in some petrol and spend £6 having it cleaned. First impressions for the MOT tester and all that...

After 24 hours of charging the car turned over perfectly... but, it didn’t fire. Gave it a few goes, but nothing, just the churn of the starter. It had some petrol, but I couldn’t hear the fuel pump I didn’t think. Tapped all the relays and gave it another go. But nothing

So, in a fit of pique I took a few pictures and listed it on eBay.
Was very honest about it’s condtion, both positive (3 owners from new, comprehensive service history, new rear window etc etc) as well as the negatives (didn’t go, failed heater matrix, door trim beginning to peel. Did I mention it didn’t go?)

Was amazed when it sold for £511!!
I bought it in May 2013 for £536 with 6 weeks MOT
By my reckoning that’s a loss of £25 in 57 months. 44p a month :)
It covered around 12k miles in that time, so be fair. So perhaps 0.2p a mile is a fairer way of putting it ;)

Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapter - MD
There’s no answer to that. Very fair play to you, but can I ask what persuaded you to take a punt on it in the first place?
It was bought because about 6 months earlier we’d sold our A4 convertible, but then realised that we missed having a car we could put the roof down on! By chance I stumbled across it on eBay on Saturday evening. It had 12 hours or so go, so ended earlyish Sunday. I’d always liked the look of them, so on the spur of the moment bid, from memory, £725. Might have been after some red wine had been consumed... Didn’t expect to win, but woke up on Sunday to discover I had :)
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapter - MD
Excellent and it served you well I assume?
Right up until the moment it broke, yes! It had been faultless until the heater matrix broke, and until then was regularly used evey the spring /summer. Occasionally in the winter too, it had a powerful heater. It was never going to be an economic repair though unfortunately, as I’d have had to pay someone to do it and it’s a 12 hour job to remove / replace the dashboard (required).

But you know what, if I hadn’t bought the BMW convertible in 2016 I might even have had it repaired anyway. But, we had another convertible so it wasn’t really needed. A great car and I suspect I’ll regret selling it...but it was only going to continue to deteriorate so it’s better someone does something with it.
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapter - Avant
I well understand the lure of the convertible. In 2008 I bought a seven-year-old Z3 2.2, which never went wrong in the five years I had it, passing every MoT with no problems.

After five years I flogged it, partly because all the wear-and-tear items were anything from 5 to 12 years old, but mainly because SWMBO by now had a Mini convertible.

Now she has an A1, a much better car than any of the Minis we had.... but the itch started again, and last summer I couldn't resist another seven-year-old BMW, this time a 125i convertible with the lovely 3-litre straight six and no turbo to go wrong. A sort of latter-day Triumph Vitesse - no regrets so far.
A 6 cylinder 1 series convertible must be a lovely thing to drive around with the roof down :) 220bhp IIRC, so presumably needs a few revs to make it really shift. But I expect it sounds wonderful when you do rev it - the NA straight 6 usually does!
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapter - legacylad
You rotters..... that’s just brought back very fond memories of my ‘04 330 convertible, bought privately, 2 previous owners, at 6 yo for £9750 and sold to my nephew after 6 years of fault free motoring for £5k. He still loves it.
Just breakfasting by the villa pool ( porridge & maple syrup) here in Moraira on the Costa Blanca. Sorry....
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapter - Zero

>> Just breakfasting by the villa pool ( porridge & maple syrup) here in Moraira on
>> the Costa Blanca. Sorry....

Sorry? you should be, porridge and maple syrup in the spanish sun? Utterly inappropriate, should be local fresh fruit and yoghurt.
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapter - CGNorwich

>>
>> Sorry? you should be, porridge and maple syrup in the spanish sun? Utterly inappropriate, should
>> be local fresh fruit and yoghurt.
>>
Followed by the traditional full English fry up and washed down with a few pints of lager
Latest Forum Posts