Motoring Discussion > Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental purchase. Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 31

Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental purchase. - Fenlander
Decided as my ownership of the old 5-series would be 5yrs by next month it was finally time to change. Been such a rewarding car to own but just felt for no particular reason this was the time it should go... and timing is right now as had I kept it until August a service and MOT due plus most important a set of 4 tyres if I took it into the autumn. The tyres were the final thing that tipped the decision over as I'd prefer for those to go on my next car so I get their full life.

Been looking intensively for 2mths... every single day on Autotrader and the other usual places. Had searches saved for two cars... a 2006-on 5-series estate of the newer shape than mine and a C-class estate of the 2007-on shape. Looking at cars up to 2010.

But in 2mths not one single car came up to meet the spec I wanted and despite checking out a few possibles I came to realise by and large mileages mostly exceeded that for my old one and most were in the hands of what I'd judge as iffy traders. Almost no private sale cars these days.

To give an example of the problem take the C-class. Today there are 555 on Autotrader in the price band I wanted. But only 95 estates. Then apply max 125k mls, 2007-on model and diesel reduces to 22 cars... and the absolute killer factor is manual gearbox reduces to 3 cars. Of those only one in a colour/trim I'd want and that's in Glasgow.

BMWs similar with the added potential hassle in that the majority which met all my wishes had the N47 2l diesel engine which is lucky to get its timing chain to 100k and a simple change to avert disaster is out of the question as it's on the rear of the engine so an engine out job to swap and about £1200 for a proper job.

A factor is that it's 3yrs until Mrs F joins me in retirement and at that time our car needs may be different.... so this is not the time to buy something much newer to keep for a long time.

Then a few days ago I was road testing Mrs F's CLK after new ARB bushes and something drew me to the local garage where we bought the CLK where they often have a selection of vehicles. And there she was... the Mondeo of my dreams... well at the very least an acceptable way to cover car needs for the next three years.

2008 Mk.4 2.0 TDCI Ghia estate in one of my favourite colours... dark met green. Being a Ghia has that woody/leather style I like. Only 96k supported by a full Ford dealership history right up to 89k... done about every 8k. MOT two weeks short of a full year.

As is usual with this garage get given the keys and take it for a ten mile test on my own up the motorway speed main road and back through the twistys. Surprisingly impressed. Much more eager and nimble than the BMW with an equal ride but just a little less refinement... seemingly mostly tyre noise after 60mph. For me the seats and driving position better than the BMW.

Priced at 60% of that I'd been considering for a C-class of similar age/spec. So a bank transfer later and it was at home.

Due a service, timing belt/water pump, deep valet, one Mr Dent ding repair, smarten up with new carpet mats inc loadspace, refurb the alloys and fit new tyres but the deal was at a price to allow for those things.

It's sitting on axle stands at the moment with the alloys out in the garden sun part way through paint prep.

Overall totally pleased so far... but in three years when the retirement cash is counted will probably return to BMW/Mercedes diesel estate... or if the wind blows the other way a BMW i3.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 29 Mar 19 at 10:18
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental purchase. - Runfer D'Hills
As you rightly pointed out elsewhere, I do indeed have a soft spot for these. I'll bet it turns out to be a great workhorse for you and provides more than some driving pleasure into the bargain.

If I were buying for my private needs with my own money, I'd definitely have one near the top of my list.

When you say Mk 4 I'm guessing being a 2008 that it's one of the first of the "new" ones rather than the last of the "old" ones? If so it might need a cam belt soon ( 100,000 miles change interval from memory ) the old ones were chain cam of course.

We have a 2012 2.0 diesel manual Zetec estate kicking around the yard at the office that gets used as a van / pool car to run between the office and warehouse. I've driven it a few times and must say despite its high miles and general lack of love and attention, it goes very well and is nice to drive.
Yep it's the post 2007 shape like this and in a green of a similar shade as the blue in that pic if it makes sense....

images.app.goo.gl/kgJ2HhmUTsXVw41UA

Same wheels too but lifted lacquer has spoilt mine hence refurbing them now.

Yep re cambelt it is 4k shy on miles but a year over on age so will be done soon with a full kit plus water pump. I changed one on a Volvo C30 diesel last year which shares the same engine and despite the usual tight access it was an OK job.

Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental purchase. - RichardW

>> To give an example of the problem take the C-class. Today there are 555 on
>> Autotrader in the price band I wanted. But only 95 estates. Then apply max 125k
>> mls, 2007-on model and diesel reduces to 22 cars... and the absolute killer factor is
>> manual gearbox reduces to 3 cars. Of those only one in a colour/trim I'd want
>> and that's in Glasgow.

Should have shouted, I'd have gone and had a look at it. The dark green one at Scott Baillie cars? Looks a smart motor....
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental purchase. - Paul Robinson
Good luck with the new vehicle - you decided against something more compact then?
What did you do with the BMW? If I'd have been needing a car like that I'd have been tempted by yours knowing how well you've looked after it. Someone will be getting a good car.
Yes they will. I have to do the jobs on the Mondeo first.. probably max two weeks no rush... then BMW goes on Autotrader. Might ask £1200 to get £1000. It is probably one of the nicest in the country of its type and never messed about with big alloys, aftermarket stereos and black windows as quite a few I see about.

Richard thanks. We did go to Blackpool (from Cambridgeshire) for the BMW 5yrs ago but life is busy at the moment due to a variety of factors and even if you pre-assessed we'd have needed to look and that's a fair round trip to find an aspect we didn't like. On Autotrader we'd set the 200ml limit to catch the cars a whisker over 100mls which was really our sensible max travel. But yes indeed it does look a nice car.

Paul well remembered and yes I did try to work to a downsize even if just for easier working space in the garage. But recently a few uses of the large estate reminded us we weren't quite done with that car type yet.
I had a year without a large estate car. But I'm much better now. ;-)
For £1000-£1200 I'd bite your hand off. Wish I needed it in a way. I'd be on the next train to Cambridge.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental purchase. - Duncan
>> and the absolute killer factor is
>> manual gearbox reduces to 3 cars.

What have you got against auto gearboxes?
For folks who want them nothing... but I wouldn't choose one. Mrs F's CLK has one... the 5 speed. We both agree it would be a better car if manual.

It's just a personal thing and amusingly when I've asked for tips on the BMW and Mercedes in their forums folks have spent more time on the manual vs auto argument than giving useful what to look for advice.
>> when I've asked for tips on the BMW
>> and Mercedes in their forums folks have spent ... time on the manual vs auto
>> argument... giving useful .... advice.
>>

Absolutely right too!

Manual gearboxes are the spawn of the devil.

When we leave the EU you will be forced to have an auto gearbox, and I will be right behind them.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental purchase. - Zero
My G31 is offered in auto only. And I can every single reason why that would be the case.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental purchase. - legacylad
Fenlander, I aren’t in the market for a car, but what 5 series is it ? It just spurred my memory of this thread as this afternoon I spotted a lovely looking metallic blue M5 on Dutch plates down by the beach. Not the latest model, in fact I haven’t a clue what incarnationof the M5 it was, but it looked very fetching!
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental purchase. - DP
>> My G31 is offered in auto only. And I can every single reason why that
>> would be the case.
>>

The ZF8 is a great box, but I think it's also fair to say BMW hasn't been able to offer a decent manual gear change for a decade or so now. Then to make it even worse they put a delay valve in the clutch hydraulic line that robs the clutch pedal of any feel and consistency.

After 60,000 miles in my manual 2012 320d, It was still pot luck whether I got a smooth first-to-second gear change.

They also have a habit of fitting clutches and DMFs made of chocolate.

On any recent-ish BMW, you want an auto.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental purchase. - R.P.
BMW have stopped selling manual new cars from what I was told at a BMW garage.
>>>BMW have stopped selling manual new cars...

They have certainly made serious moves towards that aim over the last two or three years just leaving the prestige performance models as the manual choice.

It is the way it's going to meet the ultimate aim of the driver being semi or totally redundant. To do that they need to bring all the systems... inc gearchanges... under the car's control.

Soon there will be very few younger drives with any experience of driving a car as we've known in our lifetimes.

Amazing to think in just four generations we will have seen the introduction of the car and its demise as we've known it.

>> Amazing to think in just four generations we will have seen the introduction of the
>> car and its demise as we've known it.

No demise, its change. A change no worse than any other technology over that time. I certainly wouldn't want to be driving 4 generation old technology as an everyday driver.
>> BMW have stopped selling manual new cars from what I was told at a BMW
>> garage.

The thing I like about the ZF8 is its range of abilities, and the fact you have to think about it at times.

Yes it can be a sloth, its default nature. Which is fine for wafting land yacht mode, it can break your spine with full throttle racing upshifts in sports mode, or you can take control of it for double or triple pre fast corner entry downshifts.

There is absolutely no reason on earth why you would prefer a manual box in this drivetrain combo.

Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental purchase. - PeterS
>>
>> The ZF8 is a great box, but I think it's also fair to say BMW
>> hasn't been able to offer a decent manual gear change for a decade or so
>> now. Then to make it even worse they put a delay valve in the clutch
>> hydraulic line that robs the clutch pedal of any feel and consistency.
>>
>> After 60,000 miles in my manual 2012 320d, It was still pot luck whether I
>> got a smooth first-to-second gear change.
>>
>> They also have a habit of fitting clutches and DMFs made of chocolate.
>>
>> On any recent-ish BMW, you want an auto.
>>

I chose the manual ‘box for my 235i despite having plenty of experience of BMWs 8 speed auto; I thought it better suited the nature of the car and can’t say I’ve noticed any particular problems with the clutch/gear change. It’s geared slightly too low (or is that high...?) for long distance motorway work though, IMO. But then, it’s not really that sort of car. I’d want an auto in anything larger though I think.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental purchase. - Bill Payer
>> For folks who want them nothing... but I wouldn't choose one. Mrs F's CLK has
>> one... the 5 speed. We both agree it would be a better car if manual.
>>
Bit sexist, but has she ever driven a manual Merc? I've seen several comments that women won't drive them as they can't cope with the 4 pedals.
It does amuse somewhat how much effort folks put into not wanting me to have the transmission of my choice. If I stay motoring for long enough I may well be relieved of the gearstick with a leccy car... but for now |I'll keep to it.

Mrs F is more competent than the average down to the shops driver so yep I reckon she'd manage.

It's an old un legacylad. Scroll down to my posts at 1420 & 1424 on 20th April 2018 and see the tinypic links. It looks no different now.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=25659&v=f

>> It does amuse somewhat how much effort folks put into not wanting me to have
>> the transmission of my choice.

Well you must be easily amused, as far as I can see no-one on here has made any effort to influence your choice.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental purchase. - legacylad
Many thanks. Same paintwork colour, same leather colour, same carpet colour as my 2004 3 series. My interior was similarly immaculate. A good valet by yours truly and it came up like new. Far better than black leather interior
Appreciate your response
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental purchase. - nice but dim
Alan Howatt on Youtube is worth a look if you're doing self spannering. He is a mechanic and looks after 65 or so Mk4 and 5 Mondeos used as Taxis. Delves into the bad points of maintenance and ownership and also amusing and entertaining.
That's a good recommendation nbd and I tripped across Alan's YouTube channel a week before buying the car. By chance he's ten mins down the road from me and their red taxi fleet has been about this area for decades.

The fact they happily run such a large Mondeo fleet and usually to 300k was something of a reassurance re the engine/transmissions.

His presenting style can be over-entertaining but he gets to the nub of the job a lot quicker than pre-reading a 40 step procedure in Haynes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWkTJToMW1M
Few jobs ticked off.

Major valet to remove the dog smell is complete... needed the full monty even washing the headlining and under the seats... literally every surface. Finished off by treating the seats with leather restorer from Gliptone that contains a leather scent. Interior smells fine now. Bought set of OE Ford carpet mats and a carpet mat for loadspace. Looks virtually new inside now.

Refurbed wheels look even better after a light compound... waiting on tyres. Treated them to new centre caps too. Part of tyre choice was I wanted a mobile fitter to do them on the drive. Dealing with him one to one should concentrate his mind to respect the fact the new paint will not be fully hardened off for another week or so.... and to make sure he puts the tyres on the right way round!

50% of service completed inc stripping, checking and Copaslipping rear brakes. Front brakes will have new discs and pads.... only because when someone in the recent past did them they used the wrong discs and left off the fixings to the hub.... no danger that it would ever not stop but a recipe for future judder.

Timing belt and water pump next week then it's just some small snagging such as the OE looking but actually aftermarket parking sensors not working... and one plip key erratic. Everything else electrical/electronic works.
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental purchase. - Manatee
>> Few jobs ticked off.
>>
>> Major valet to remove the dog smell is complete... needed the full monty even washing
>> the headlining and under the seats... literally every surface. Finished off by treating the seats
>> with leather restorer from Gliptone that contains a leather scent. Interior smells fine now. Bought
>> set of OE Ford carpet mats and a carpet mat for loadspace. Looks virtually new
>> inside now.

I'll never buy another doggy car. Had a Scorpio estate that I bought at 18 months old that smelt a bit doggy. Cleaned it to death (it had cloth seats which probably didn't help, although the dog(s) had lived in the luggage area) and the smell went, but when left in the sun it still stank. Hope your results are better.

>> I'll never buy another doggy car. Had a Scorpio estate that I bought at 18
>> months old that smelt a bit doggy. Cleaned it to death (it had cloth seats
>> which probably didn't help, although the dog(s) had lived in the luggage area) and the
>> smell went, but when left in the sun it still stank. Hope your results are
>> better.

It doesn't need to be so, tho I accept it usually is.

The Beemer has no doggy smell after 16 months and 22k very doggy miles. The dog travels in a cage, and the hair and slobber is kept within. The Cage lives on a rubberised high sided fitted boot liner. This double protection barrier seems to do the job well, and the lack of doggy smell has been confirmed by non dog dwellers.
>>> but when left in the sun it still stank. Hope your results are better.

You just need to wash every surface area inside... inc the spare wheel well, the headlining, under the folding rear seat, the underside of the loadspace blind, carpets right under the front seats etc. I think most folks would not do those areas.

But yes having a leather interior is a massive help as at least the seat foam isn't holding smell in the same way as when you have cloth seats.

Our cars never smell of dog... but then we advantage that with breeds that are known not to smell. He's no trouble anyway as he's 2ft under the lawn. New one on order.
>> Finished off by treating the seats with leather restorer from Gliptone that contains a leather scent. Interior smells fine now.
>>

Is this the stuff?

tinyurl.com/y5k9mqgf
Yes been using it for 5yrs now. Softens the leather, removes light dirt despite not being a cleaner as such and adds leather smell.
Latest Forum Posts