Motoring Discussion > Blue badge Miscellaneous
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 6

Blue badge - wotspur
Can anyone give me the details of where I can find out some definitive rules on using a blue badge
. I did an email to the DVLA and they replied contact the local council .
Surely it’s nationwide regulations , not dependant on the councils .and this is all new to me and the recently provided blue badge holder , who didn’t keep any of the assumed pamphlets accompanying the badges
1) the blue badge belongs to the person , not the vehicle , so if I park at a relatives house who has a blue badge can I park up and use their BB whilst I’m sorting them out to take shopping - if so for how long , is it the full 3hrs whilst we have a chat and a cup of tea ? And they get ready
2) I can then take them shopping and obviously park in a disabled bay , with both badges visible , and on a parking metre for free ?? I assume they have to come into the shop with me
3) I understand some attractions still charge BB Holders , I thought the whole idea was Free parking .
4) if on business , I am seeing someone who is disabled , and I them there dealing with that BB holder , can I use it then , if not how does it differ from no 1 .
Thanks for any help
 Blue badge - Zero
Lot of this stuff is "whats reasonable". and "responsible use"

>> 1) the blue badge belongs to the person , not the vehicle , so if
>> I park at a relatives house who has a blue badge can I park up
>> and use their BB whilst I’m sorting them out to take shopping - if so
>> for how long , is it the full 3hrs whilst we have a chat and
>> a cup of tea ? And they get ready

Yes as long as you do take them shopping, the idea is to make the transport accessible to them. You cant go there, use the blue badge have a cup of tea, sort them out, and then leave without taking them anywhere.

>> 2) I can then take them shopping and obviously park in a disabled bay ,
>> with both badges visible , and on a parking metre for free ?? I assume
>> they have to come into the shop with me

One badge in the car only, they dont have to leave the car, and "free' is not a given. Again the badge is for accessibility, not parking anywhere for free. The cost bit is local authority dependent

>> 3) I understand some attractions still charge BB Holders , I thought the whole idea
>> was Free parking .

Nope, the whole idea is mobility, not cost.

>> 4) if on business , I am seeing someone who is disabled , and I
>> them there dealing with that BB holder , can I use it then , if
>> not how does it differ from no 1 .

If you dont qualify for a badge, no you cant. Again the badge for the badge holders transport.

Blue badge - Bromptonaut
The badges are issued by the local council in which the applicant lives. While receipt of the Enhanced Mobility component in PIP (or equivalent) seems to provide one automatically other conditions seem to vary a bit. Locally for example West Northamptonshire will give you one automatically if you're treated as terminally ill for benefits, ie you have form DS1500/SR1. Over the border in North Northants that just gets you fast tracked.

The badge relates to the person. My late Mother had one and could use travelling in my car, my sister's or in taxis etc depending on who was driving her.

On road where you can use it to park on yellow lines then I think it's similar to loading. If you're getting them into their coat, helping them move to the vehicle etc then I think that would be OK. You could defend a ticket. If you're sat with them having a cuppa and chat about Auntie Mary's nieces then you're in a different ball park.

Shopping with them should be fine but it's up to the landowner (ie the supermarket) to set terms about how long you can stay. PArking meters (do they still even exist) is, again, probably down to local conditions. Don't expect the rules in LB Westminster* to be the same as in, say, Stornoway.

Some car parks charge Blue Badge holders. The signage should make clear where that is the case. I can think of one just off the Esplanade in Scarborough with clear signs to that effect. There are designated BB places with extra wide bays etc and you'll be ticketed if you pay and park there without the Blue Badge.

If you're seeing a disabled person on business then unless you're actually using your car to transport them to and drop them off (oe VV) then no, you cannot use their badge just to park nearby for your own convenience.

* Some London Boroughs have their own rules and processes; badges issued outwith their areas have only limited use of Blue Badge bays. In my previous job we had to pay for a taxi to bring somebody from Hendon to Chancery Lane and return as his badge issued by LB Barnet only allowed short stays in Westminster, Camden or the City.
 Blue badge - wotspur
Thank you Zero and Bromptonaut , answers I’ll go with and clarified everything .
Still think if a nurse goes to see a disabled person they should be allowed to use that badge , only whilst dealing with that person , but obviously not allowed , unless they then take them shopping
 Blue badge - Bromptonaut
In terms of yellow lines at least it's possible there are other defences??
 Blue badge - Zero
>> Thank you Zero and Bromptonaut , answers I’ll go with and clarified everything .
>> Still think if a nurse goes to see a disabled person they should be allowed
>> to use that badge , only whilst dealing with that person , but obviously not
>> allowed , unless they then take them shopping

Ah, Nurse, different ball park, and varies very much by borough, health care trust. My wife had authority to park (not in disabled bays, but could in other restrictions) in most of the LA boroughs she traveled, but not all.
 Blue badge - VxFan
The rules laid out by www.gov.uk seem clear enough to me.

tinyurl.com/yca3uhs2

Regarding remaining in the vehicle, my late grandfather (the BB owner) was told he couldn't stay sat in the vehicle while my late nan popped into the betting shop to put a bet on a gee-gee for him. Laws may well have changed since then though.
Latest Forum Posts