Motoring Discussion > Mercedes Benz - CLA Shootingbrake Buying / Selling
Thread Author: FuzzyDuck Replies: 9

Mercedes Benz - CLA Shootingbrake - FuzzyDuck
Lease on my BMW series 2 convertible is up in the summer, so starting to look at my next car. The BMW has been good but due lack of space I will get something bigger. Initially considered a Qashqai (had 2 previous ones) but the CLA Shootingbrake has turned my head.

Will probably buy instead of lease, budget is up to £30K. Looking at Autotrader I see a few around my area within my budget, 1-2 years old. My one must have is a sunroof (hate dingy interiors) so the only model option is the premium plus.

Will almost certainly be a petrol model and so the 2.0 CLA 250 seems a good choice but I have noticed a few 1.3 CLA 180 models for sale (including a '73 reg for under £30K). My only worry would be the performance, seems like a very small engine for car of that size.

Anyone have any real world experience of the two engine options?
Last edited by: FuzzyDuck on Fri 5 Jan 24 at 14:35
 Mercedes Benz - CLA Shootingbrake - Slightlyfatdirector
Hi FD.
I had one as a courtesy car when my previous car was being serviced.

The 180 is fine performance-wise. Hadn't felt like a 1.3 if it was. Felt like a perfectly decent 1.8.

The rest of the car did not suit me at all, but that's a personal thing.

Tiny boot with a huge load-lip and because of the car's streamlined shape it's not more - in fact possibly less - practical than a standard A-Class hatchback.

The rear legroom was laughable. Could not see how anyone could fit if there was someone in the front, and with a black interior it felt horribly claustrophobic with very limited visibility out.

It drove OK and looked nice but felt like more style over substance.

Others might love them, so that's just my personal take on it. :)

Good luck!
 Mercedes Benz - CLA Shootingbrake - Boxsterboy
I've not driven one but I remember sitting in one in a showroom while I was waiting for Mrs BB's Merc to be serviced and was shocked by how small they were inside given their external size, as well as the price...

Is the 1.3 used in the 180 the Renault engine?
 Mercedes Benz - CLA Shootingbrake - Biggles
If you mean the M282/H5Ht/HR13DDT, then yes
Cheers for the feedback.

Rear legroom isn't too much of an issue, would rarely carry more than 1 passenger. Boot space is more of an issue, as I would be carrying golf clubs and trolley most of the time. My current car is a struggle and requires to have the trolley on the back seat, I was hoping to avoid that.

I'll pop over to the local MB showroom and take a closer look.
 Mercedes Benz - CLA Shootingbrake - carmalade
The 1.3 A class / Cla uses the Renault/ Nissan turbo engine.
Well I took a close look at the boot space and discovered there is no sensible way even carry just a golf bag in the CLA. It would have to put in diagonally in the boot floor which means no space for the trolley.

Incidentally I went next door to the Nissan dealer and found I could easily get the bag in a Qashqai boot.
 Mercedes Benz - CLA Shootingbrake - Bromptonaut
Re-read this thread and noted the term Shooting Break.

Last heard it around 50 years ago. Slightly old fashioned English for an Estate Car; maternal uncle used it to describe Dad's car, either a Vauxhall Victor or Simca 1500 estate.
 Mercedes Benz - CLA Shootingbrake - Bromptonaut
>> Well I took a close look at the boot space and discovered there is no
>> sensible way even carry just a golf bag in the CLA.

My test is whether I can get my eponymous folding bike in the boot without messing about folding seats etc.

A Fiat Panda failed that one, so did a late nineties Corsa I had as a courtesy car.
 Mercedes Benz - CLA Shootingbrake - Boxsterboy
>> Well I took a close look at the boot space and discovered there is no
>> sensible way even carry just a golf bag in the CLA. It would have to
>> put in diagonally in the boot floor which means no space for the trolley.
>>
>> Incidentally I went next door to the Nissan dealer and found I could easily get
>> the bag in a Qashqai boot.
>>

And they quite possibly have the same Renault engine!
Latest Forum Posts