Motoring Discussion > MotoGP Discussion - Vol 1   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 94

MotoGP Discussion - Vol 1 - Pat

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 2 *****

I've noticed this morning that the car racing thread has appeared so I think it's time we bike racing nuts started to fight back with our own thread.
At 13 yrs old I had posters of Giacomo Agostini on my bedroom wall, followed for may years by the late great Barry Sheene, there was no Cliff Richard and Tommy Steele for me.

Now it has to be Valentino Rossi.

Others along the way have been Chris Walker ( I love his riding style) Ron Haslam and in my Leicester speedway days, it was Ole Olsen and Barry Briggs.

All great names, some from the past and some I still follow with dedication.
The charity I'm involved with has just managed to get Steve Parrish as our Patron and he is a pleasure to deal with.
He's in Qatar for the opening round of the MotoGP and diverting on his way home to appear with us at the CV Show at the NEC in April.

Does anyone else follow MotoGP?

What a disaster this year that Suzi Perry won't be doing the on track interviews. She will be missed, and unless they find someone different to her usual stand in, they may as well give up I think.

So, what's your predictions for the overall 2010 winner?
Will it be Rossi or who else should we be watching?
Lorenzo will never quite make it IMHO.
Bradley Smith though is a different story:)

Pat
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 30 Mar 15 at 10:10

MotoGP - Iffy
...What a disaster this year that Suzi Perry won't be doing the on track interviews...

What's happened to Ms Perry?

I found her interviews to be incisive, relevant and entertaining.

Actually, that's rubbish.

I just thought she was fit, being the shallow male that I am.

MotoGP - rtj70
Maybe she's trying for another baby - she lost one didn't she.

MotoGP - Pat
Yes, she had an ectopic pregnancy and was very ill.
She didn't look herself at all at the end of last season and apparently she has decided to cut back on her work schedule.

Pat

MotoGP - Focusless
>> apparently she has decided to cut back on her work schedule.

...concentrating on more worthwhile programmes like The Gadget Show :-)

MotoGP - Pat
Men seem to like gadgets:)

Pat

MotoGP - Zero
Gadgets and tits!

what a combination.

MotoGP - Pat
It's the leather clad bums that do it for me:)
The highlight of a female lorry drivers day is when she's overtaken by a bike!

Plod has the same effect when on two wheels.

Pat

MotoGP - Focusless
>> Gadgets and tits!

The presenters aren't that bad...

MotoGP - Pat
Do the other bikers know that?
Will they ever find it?
I've never read this thread ( on the old forum) because I didn't expect to find bike related stuff here?

Why do I feel as I do when I read the sign 'No crash helmets please'? :)

Pat

MotoGP - Fenlander
Agree about placement of MotoGp here Pat... I don't like F1 and never click on the thread... wouldn't expect to find bikes hidden away here.

I remember the Sheene, Roberts, Haslam era well as we were on bikes then... somewhat embarrasing the girlfriend (now SWMBO) was on a hairy assed 650 BSA and me a Honda 125 trail bike!

That period of racing was just before big business got a grip... Sheene though was a lot to do with the start of the golden boy money thing. I worked nights at a Heron service station back then and we would get all the Sheene promo stuff when he was team Heron Suzuki.... still got some unused stickers somewhere.

SWMBO never had the ultimate respect for him as he avoided a ride at the TT.

I liked Suzi Perry doing the pit lane interviews... no so much of a vacant babe as some in the business... but she did/does get some stick in the bikers forums and I was so amused to see her referred to as *gravel trap*.

I see in those forums the bets for her replacement seem to be between Katie Price, Jodie Marsh, Kelly Brook and Susan Boyle!!

MotoGP - Pat
Just imagine............

'Valentine dear, can I have a go on the back?'

'Sumo, you hang tight on the Doctor'

I wanted to start a seperate thread for bikers but we got bombed out again!!

Craner curves at Donnington park never looked the same at The Monsters of Rock concerts!

Pat

MotoGP discussion - Vol 1 - Pat
I shall fly the flag for proper racing since it has to be buried in here:)

Only 2 weeks to MotoGP!

Pat
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 26 Mar 10 at 18:42

MotoGP discussion - Vol 1 - VxFan
Ok, Pat, I'll relent. MotoGP can have its own thread.

Vx.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 26 Mar 10 at 22:51

Thank you :)

You've made my day!

Pat

Should be a good one this season because Rossi, Stoner, Pedrosa and Lorenzo will be riding for contract renewals for 2011.

It will be interesting to see if Lorenzo and Pedrosa can make any significant difference to the Rossi v Stoner battle for the front.

Pat

Well, here we go:)

First race of the season in Qatar and we have Stoner in poll position with Rossi second and Lorenzo third.
That is a predictabel but interesting line up and it appears that Stoner may have finally beaten his health problems.

Highlights are televised tonight at around midnight though so as usual, we won't be seeing much of that as Ian has to be up at 1.30am tomorrow for work.

I watched the Superbikes last week and was shocked to find I didn't know many of the names now but Chris Walker still seems to be struggling to stay on the bike!

Pat

MotoGP discussion - Vol 1 - MD
Another fan here. Will toseland be riding this year? or has he moved to something else. The memory ain't what it use.........................

M

Toseland is in World Superbikes this year MD

Pat

MotoGP discussion - Vol 1 - a900ss
Well even though Stoner fell off, I still think he'll win this years title. But boy were those Hondas fast in a straight line. Also nice to see Hayden doing so well even if pipped at the line for a podium place but the greased lightning Honda of Dovi.

Ben Spies did pretty well too for a young 'un!

Pat

Finally got the chance to watch the race last night and you're right!
The speed of those Honda's is something to behold.
Stoner for the Championship?
Not on his showing so far, but it is nice to see Haydn up at the front again.

I think Rossi's biggest challenge this year will be from another Yamaha.

Assuming of course he keeps the tank topped up!

Pat

MotoGP discussion - Vol 1 - Perky Penguin
Moto GP is fantastic! All action, not much paint scraping (think Touring Cars) and sensational machinery! I also like the fact that one can see what they are actually doing. Instead of having a cloned rollerskate going round with a logoed helmet in view, one can actually see the riders moving all over their bikes and what their hands and feet are doing. If you leave the room for a couple of minutes to get a beer or whatever the lead can have changed 5 times while you been out of the room. Beyond sensational IMO

How did YOU know I got up 5 times to get beers?? You been reading my mail??

MotoGP discussion - Vol 1 - Perky Penguin
You, me, one, us - whatever. LOL!!!

MotoGP discussion - Vol 1 - seaside
Just checked actual top speeds for the various makes(fastest bike) @ Qatar

2010 Ducati :325kph Honda:325kph Yamaha: 318kph
2009 D:333 H:333 Y:332
2008 D:334 H:325 Y:326
2007 D:316 H:309 Y:306

In 2010 fastest Honda no faster than fastest Ducati and yes I know Dovizioso passed Hayden out of the last corner.
BTW Rossi's bike was the slowest bike out there.

With due respect old Chap can we have it in M.P.H. please. :0)

M

MotoGP discussion - Vol 1 - Hard Cheese
>> Just checked actual top speeds for the various makes(fastest bike) @ Qatar
>>
>> 2010 Ducati :325kph Honda:325kph Yamaha: 318kph
>> 2009 D:333 H:333 Y:332

>> BTW Rossi's bike was the slowest bike out there.
>>

It is well known that Yamaha have tuned for more drive at low speeds this year, more mid range, you have gotta say that it has worked for them if they can achieve a 1-2 at the circuit with the longest straight.

Reckon relative top speeds will vary from circuit to circuit this year though depending on aero and gearing.

Rossi has the skill and cunning to make up for lack of speed:)

Pat

MotoGP discussion - Vol 1 - seaside
I've seen most of the racers since the mid-sixties and I'd have to say it's a close call between Hailwood and Rossi for the rather meaningless "best ever" title. Pity Rossi will never race in the IOM, but then again, having ridden the course(slowly!), I'm can understand the reasons why: nothing but admiration for those that race there.

Moto GP - MD
Is there any way I can watch the round at Jerez. Iplayer not available. I haven't seen a round yet despite promising myself not to miss a beat this season. Ruddy work and family commitments mean I miss out as usual. Ahhhhh!...I know I know.

Anyone?

Best................M

Moto GP - Zero
Buy a PVR, record the next one and tick the series link option.

You will never miss another.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 13 May 10 at 21:49

Moto GP - MD
PVR? sorry

Moto GP - Zero
A freeview or freesat Hard disk recorder. You use the on air programe guide to record one round of MoTo GP, and it offers you the option to record all of them.

And there they sit all ready for you to crack a bottle of Adnams, and watch it at your leisure.

Moto GP - Pat
We were at Truckfest Martin and missed what was probably the best race of the season I would think. We had a TV in the marquee with a powerpoint presentation going on, and managed to connect to TV with WiFi somehow to see the last 3 laps and Lorenzo antics in the water!

But what happened during the face to put Stoner right back down the field?
Did anyone see the whole race?

I had to pull rank and insist we went back to the PowerPoint when the snooker came on:)

Pat

Edit: Why doesn't the swear filter like a posh word for a big tent? :)

Corrected word picked up by swear filter
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 14 May 10 at 11:40

Moto GP - John H

>> Pat
>>
>> Edit: Why doesn't the swear filter like a posh word for a big tent? :)
>>

That word is an HTML code which does some funny things with the forum.
www.htmlcodetutorial.com/_MARQUEE.html

Moto GP - Pat
Thanks John, I thought the swear filter was trying to keep me in me proper place!

Pat

Moto GP - VxFan
>> Edit: Why doesn't the swear filter like a posh word for a big tent? :)

To stop people doing things like this
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 14 May 10 at 11:42

Moto GP - Hard Cheese
>> >> Edit: Why doesn't the swear filter like a posh word for a big tent?
>> :)
>>
>> To stop people doing things like this
>>

Spoil sport!

;-)

Moto GP - Pat
Now be careful VX, I can do just a tiny bit of that but I've been good on here:)

I didn't know that one though!

Pat

Moto GP - Pat
Rossi was a tenth of a second faster than anyone else in practice at Le Mans so it looks like being a good race tomorrow.

BBC2 at 12.30PM.

Pat

Moto GP - MD
I ain't gonna miss it this week. Me, Beer and peace and quiet (I hope)

M

Moto GP - Pat
Not as exciting as Spain but a good race, despite Casey Stoner baling out early. Didn't he look dejected? I'd love to know what the problem is with his bike.

Of course I wanted Rossi to win :) but even I had to conceed that Lorenzo dis so well to get past him and was faster when unimpeded.

The real battle was between Dovi, Pedrosa and Haydn and Pedrosa seemed to be wrestling with a bike that didn't want to do what it was told.

Suzy Perry's replacement comes up to scratch ( according to Mr pda!) and it was good to see Steve Parrish back on a bike again.

Pat

Moto GP - Pat
www.motogp.com/en/news/2010/rossi+under+knife+this+saturday

Rossi highsided in practice yesterday and will be out for at least 2 months.

Pat

Moto GP - Hard Cheese

Aaaaaaaah!

Parish and Cox are back their "Honda lane" ways, perhaps they are back on the Honda payroll.

I mean Dovi gets in Lorenzo's Yamaha slipstream and passes under braking and it is all about Honda power, Lorenzo does the same and there is no mention of how the Yamaha stayed with the Honda!!

The only speed graphic showed the Honda as 5kph faster (3 mph) when in the tow.

Let's get real guys!

Moto GP - MD
twasn't the most enthralling race I've seen.

Hope Rossi heals well.

Daughter's wedding went without a hitch yesterday including the weather, but ohhh! how my head hurts!!

M

Moto GP - Pat
Glad to hear that Martin ( both the wedding and the race!) and I hope you wiol confirm we didn't miss much either Cheddar:)

Very embarrassed because we went out on the GSX1400 very early this morning for a 'breakfast run' and enjoyed it so much we just kept on going, as you do!
The sun shone, the arthritis let me get on and off, mr pda kept stopping for my fag breaks and at 12.30 we were supping coffee and having a bacon roll with a bunch of bikers.
It was then we realised we'd missed the race:(

It all went downhill from there though, the heavens opened, we got soaked and ended up laughing because when we got home I couldn't get my wet and cold soggy leg over............the top box, that is:)

A couple of years ago we both decided that the most important thing in life was making memories, and today we made another one:)

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Sun 6 Jun 10 at 17:37

Moto GP - Iffy
...Parish and Cox are back their "Honda lane" ways...

I dunno about 'Honda lane ways', but I reckon they are two of the most entertaining sports commentators.

...couldn't get my leg over...

Oooh, Patters, stop it. (With a nod to a certain cricket commentator.)
Last edited by: ifithelps on Sun 6 Jun 10 at 17:43

Moto GP - Iffy
The commentary to which I refer (above):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k0qZDdfvZk

Moto GP - Pat
Why is laughter so infectious? :)

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Mon 7 Jun 10 at 04:47

Moto GP - MD
Ooh! Stop it.

MotoGP Qualifying from Silverstone - MD
Well I'm firmly with Pat Vx.

Pat I ain't watching it at 02.00 Sunday morning as my TV guide says it's on then and furthermore I would not dream of 'spilling the beans.'

Regards.............Martin.

moved to the MotoGP discussion
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 26 Jun 10 at 16:29

Pat what channel is it on at 07.00 Sunday? My guide says 02.00!!

MotoGP Qualifying from Silverstone - Pat
It's on BBC 1 at 7am Martin. If it's a good race we risk getting thrown off site for being too noisy and waking everyone up!

Pat

To be fair I enjoy it, but I wouldn't loose any sleep. My main enjoyment here comes from the banter and 99% of the regulars. I too won't be treated like a child.

Best regards.................................Martin.

Well Pat, I am on the grid, tea in hand. Let's go>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Another good race Martin, and worth getting up for:)

The last two laps saw us wake the campsite up so we're lying low at the moment!

Pat

MotoGP Qualifying from Silverstone - Iffy
...The last two laps saw us wake the campsite up...

Pat,

There's an old saying on sites "Don't come a knockin' if the caravan's a rockin'."

If you were jumping about in excitement at the last two laps, your fellow campers will have thought you were having much more fun than watching the telly.

Well, Rossi's back on Sunday:)
And I shall miss it because I'll be at Snetterton watching the British Superbikes.

Can someone please watch it and let me know how he does?

Pat

Is he really back Patricia?

Yes he is.

tinyurl.com/27d8jhw

It's looking good for a bit better racing at the front again.

I shall be cheering Chris Walker on this weekend:)

Pat

tinyurl.com/2fgstcs

This makes interesting reading and answers a few questions.

Pat

Hi Pat,

Can't find this weekend's coverage. Gis a clue. Reg's......M

10pm Sunday BBC2

Pat

Merci Madame

MotoGP Qualifying from Silverstone - Hard Cheese

Looks like Rossi will go to Ducati and Spies to the works Yamaha team alongside Lorenzo for '11.

I think Rossi will do well at Ducati if he takes his head honcho with him and Ben Spies could prove a challenge for Lorenzo too.

Pat

MotoGP Qualifying from Silverstone - Hard Cheese

However Jeremy Burgess has implied that he will stay at Yamaha.

What a brilliant race yesterday.

Did anyone see the battle between Lorenzo and Rossi for third place in the last couple of laps?

Pat

MotoGP Le Mans - Pat
What a controversial decision yesterday at Le Mans.

Did anyone else see it?

I would love to hear your views on it.

Pat
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 16 May 11 at 11:05

MotoGP Le Mans - helicopter
Simoncelli got the rough end of the decision. He should have ignored the drive through and fought it out with the stewards afterwards, I cannot imagine any of the others would have been hauled up for such a blocking manouver .

I suppose it was felt that Pedrosa was put in a position where he could not avoid the collision by braking and as he suffered a broken collar bone in the accident the stewards felt that they had to do something.

IMO it was a normal racing incident....

Simoncelli certainly the man to watch in future and no respecter of reputations.....

Just wish he would get his hair cut.

MotoGP Le Mans - Pat
tinyurl.com/66c9mb4

I certainly agree with you but it seems we are in the minority.

Surely that's what racing is all about?

Pat

MotoGP Le Mans - Hard Cheese
I also agree.

What annoys me season after season is how Parrish and Cox talk about the Honda lane, the Hondas being faster, well at Le Mans it was clear that Lorenzo's Yamaha had the legs down the straight and they eventally admitted that the Yamaha was 4ks or so.faster.

MotoGP looking good for Assen - Pat
This post is mainly for Martin Devon.

Have a read of this link

motomatters.com/results/2011/06/23/2011_assen_motogp_fp1_result_simoncelli_.html

That should make for some good racing!

Rossi/Simoncelli dash for the chequered flag?

Pat

MotoGP looking good for Assen - MD
Good Evening Pat,

Thanks for the link. Had a peek, but I will look again after Dinner.

The one thing I am having a problem with is what channel is televising this tomorrow. I have looked at an on-line TV guide (one that I always use) and I cannot find mention of it on the Beeb. Any thoughts Madam?

Best wishes.............Martin.

MotoGP looking good for Assen - Iffy
Martin,

Seems the race is on the BBC red button tomorrow, presumably because of saturation tennis:

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/4805050.stm

Fire up BBC1, press the red button on the remote, and a text menu takes you to the race.

Only works on digital or satellite.

Good thing Pat bought a new remote, she'd have struggled to get 'red button' services without one.

We've pressed the red button Iffy, and got a text menu up for today but nothing about the MotoGP?

Pat

Well Martin, it fooled us for a while too and we've just found out that it's not on until Sunday at 3.30pm to 5pm on BBC2.

I presume it is more important to show Wimbledon as usual.

Please don't tell me the result!

Pat

MotoGP looking good for Assen - MD
I won't Red Button it. (Thanks Iffy by the way). Sunday is better for me. Shame they didn't state that after the last race.

Come back Suzi. Azi wassername don't do it for me......

Many thanks.........Martin.

Pat,

It will only appear on the red button text menu when the programme/race is on, so if you try tomorrow, I'm sure it will be fine.

I should have added Pat will also be able to watch the race live online via the BBC's website, provided the wi-fi connection at her caravan site is fast a enough.

She could check that now by trying to get Andy Murray from Wimbledon.

Last edited by: Iffy on Fri 24 Jun 11 at 20:42

I refuse to watch that Scot who call himself English when it suits him!

We'll check it out in the morning Iffy. It's wet and windy here tonight but forecast is good for tomorrow and the rest of the week.

Pat

Forza Yamaha - Hard Cheese

Great race by Spies at Assen and fantastic by Lorenzo a Mugello yesterday.

Novice Comments - Londoner
I've been watching MotoGP qualifying on the BBC Website. Ended just when I was getting interested. :-(

Never watched bike racing before, so please forgive me if my comments seem stupid, but I am a greenhorn.

Now, Ive never even ridden a motor bike, and I know nothing about the finer points, but I have to say that I am impressed by the obvious skill and courage of the riders. (Very relieved, incidentally, to see a rider walking away under his own power after crashing at a turn.)

The tyre technology must be pretty advanced too, judging by the way that the bikes lean over in the corners. There hardly seems to be any rubber in contact with the track!

Novice Comments - Meldrew
Quite right about the tyres! I understand that they sometimes have different tread compound on the sidewalls vis a vis the main tread, for the odd occasions when the bike is not cornering!

I wonder about the suspension, main suppliers are Showa and Ohlins. How does it work effectively when the machine is at 45 degs? Best spectator sport on TV IMO!!!

MotoGP discussion - Vol 1 - gramar
Great to see a bike nut discussion at last! I've been into bikes for many years and a fan of Valentino Rossi and like many of you remember the 70's/80's when I was a track marshall mainly at Snetterton.

Did anyone else go to the Festival of 1000 Bikes held at Mallory Park a fortnight ago to see Kenny Roberts, Giacomo Agostini, Phil Read, Graeme Crossy, John Cooper to name just five stars of yesteryear? A great day out!

I went to Mallory for the Festival of 1000 Bikes and agree, it was a great day out.
It was also good to see that Trevor Nation hasn't changed his riding style:)

I'm also Rossi fan and can't wait for him to get the Ducatti sorted out but I must admit to having a fondness for Simoncelli's style too.

Pat

Now he is a BIG boy Pat. Late on parade tonight from Laguna Seca. 10.00 p.m it seems.

I may have to watch it on Iplayer so no telling tales on here. (-o-)

Please don't Martin;)

We will be watching it tomorrow evening as we'll be up around 2.30am tomorrow and Sunday evenings just don't sem to exist in this house anymore.

Lorenzo on pole and Simoncelli on the second row...could be interesting!

Pat

>> Please don't Martin;)
>>
>> We will be watching it tomorrow evening as we'll be up around 2.30am tomorrow and
>> Sunday evenings just don't sem to exist in this house anymore.
>>
>> Lorenzo on pole and Simoncelli on the second row...could be interesting!
>>
>> Pat
>>
>> Please don't Martin;)

I Didn't mean me Pat........................I meant you. I will likely be in the land of nod at ten tonight so I don't want to know either.

To Swiss. I too have never heard of him.

MotoGP discussion - Vol 1 - gramar
"It was also good to see that Trevor Nation hasn't changed his riding style:)"

I love the Norton rotarys too - I saw Trevor Nation at the Brighton Speed Trials around 1992 or 1993 on the JPS rotary. He did the complete run on the back wheel and wasn't hanging about!

MotoGP discussion - Vol 1 - swiss tony
I simply love bikes, road and racing...

I have on the wall behind my PC a signed poster (tatty) of Kork Ballington on one of his KR500's, and beside that is 2 photos of him, and the same KR500 taken by me, on the day he signed the poster for me.
For a twice world champion 250 and 350, 1978 and 79, he is sadly forgotten by many.

Have a look at his website Tone, not much there, but from acorns etc. korkballington.com

MotoGP discussion - Vol 1 - swiss tony
Thanks Martin.

Did you look at the video?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojeq3iu4HrY

That isn't the machine I have the pictures of, but I believe its a later version.

Just watched it. Lovely and what a nice Man. Apart from the Fantic Trialler that I now have embedded in the Garage the last 2-stroke that I owned was an RD 350 Yamaha in 1975. Before the water cooled stuff took over. Rapid at the time and a lot of my Mates stayed 2-stroke, but some went big bore 4-stroke stuff. More to tell but dogs need tending and I need sleeping.

Best regards to all.................Martin.

Latest Forum Posts