Non-motoring > Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles vol 9   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 104

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles vol 9 - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 10 *****

Volume 9 - NO CARS :-)

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 8 is here
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 4 Aug 12 at 23:58

Oliver Cromwell - Stamford. - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDotfX0EyFg

A very cross and angry Oliver Cromwell blasts through Stamford (Lincs) 2 hours late after a series of incidents and disasters on the way from London. No gentle harmonious steam chime here, this is a noisy temper tantrum.

Oliver Cromwell - Stamford. - Phil I
Not hanging about was he?

Pity there are no vibration effects available. Will just have to shake the monitor

Phil I

Oliver Cromwell - Stamford. - Dog
Excellent! - nice olde worlde station too.

This is a report from a another forum about Ollies bad day.

A severe Incident with Britannia class 70013 this morning outside New Barnet station of what appears to be a great blow back setting fire to engine crew and those on footplate.
They were seen jumping from footplate (except driver who stopped train?) with hair and overalls severely burning/on fire. Very nasty burns can be seen on crew.
Over 2 hour delay with trains being put onto fast line to try and clear delays.
Ambulances still in attendance.
A class 47 has been brought to front of train now.

This report was from my brother who is on the scene so to speak.

Here is hoping all are OK.

I cannot confirm this report so far but hope it is not as bad as relayed to me by people on the spot.

Oliver Cromwell - Stamford. - Armel Coussine
How does a blowback occur?

I know the steam exhausted from the cylinders can be used to produce a forced vacuum dawing air sharply into the firebox. It goes chuff chuff in the steam chest at the front and draws air through pipes. What could make it blow back?

You wouldn't want all that white-hot coke and stuff spraying out onto the footplate... horrendous.

Its a timing and pressure issue - the air in the firebox pulses. There are blowers that should be on when the firebox door is opened to keep it pulsing up the chimney (aided by the exhausted steam) and not blow out the firebox door.

A blow can still occur with the blowers on. There have been some very serious injuries int he past, This one was clearly not as dramatic as described. They can't just rustle up steam drivers and firemen, so clearly they were fit enough to carry on. Its been reported to the RAIB.

Oliver Cromwell - Stamford. - Londoner
Oliver Cromwell made a stirring sight, right enough, but I was concerned for the well-being of the crew.

The fact that the accident happened at New Barnet adds some interest to me, because I live not far from the location (though my nearest station would be New Southgate, in truth). I'll have to keep an eye on the local paper and see if they report anything.

PS Nice clear shots from that camera of yours, Zero - well done!
Last edited by: Londoner on Sun 27 May 12 at 21:02

Oliver Cromwell - Stamford. - R.P.
A Facebook friend had a go at driving Tornado the other day at Llangollen.

>> Oliver Cromwell made a stirring sight, right enough, but I was concerned for the well-being
>> of the crew.

Discharged from Hospital today and returned home.

Oliver Cromwell - Stamford. - Londoner
Thanks for the update :-)
Good news.

Today's Special - Bromptonaut
EWS loco pulled into Northampton @ 08:20 today hauling a rake of rather scruffy looking BR mk1 coaches. Mix of liveries including plum and GW brown/cream. Front half standard and rear first with a full fig dining section. Left towards Rugby around 08:26.

Bit of googling suggests a Cathedrals Express run to Carlisle. Tornado taking over at Crewe then going direct via Shap to arrive 13:30. Return via the Settle and Carlisle the Hellifield, Blackburn and Preston where diesel takes over for return to Euston.

I guess it's a bit outside Z's filming territory.

Today's Special - commerdriver
>> Bit of googling suggests a Cathedrals Express run to Carlisle. Tornado taking over at Crewe
>> then going direct via Shap to arrive 13:30. Return via the Settle and Carlisle the
>> Hellifield, Blackburn and Preston where diesel takes over for return to Euston.

I was planning to film that near Preston this morning but the weather wasn't suitable, next time....

Today's Special - Zero
Yup outside my current travel plans, so not in my diary. Had it been steam hauled up out of london, I would have caught it on my way back home this morning. I do intend to catch a train or two going over Shap, hopefully late this year in the snow.

46201 - The Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJGspw_Vvpc

46201 Princess Elizabeth 03/12/2012 - The Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant

46201 - The Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant - Dog
Nicely done, the weather conditions add to it, I like the way you 'spliced' the end bit on as well.

"train"?

It was worse on BBC Radio London, Quote Vanessa Fatz:-

"there is a steam train on the bridge, its got smoke coming out of its funnel I don't know what it is or why its there"

Last edited by: Zero on Sun 3 Jun 12 at 22:15

46201 - The Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant - R.P.
What would you expect from her vacuous gob ?

46201 - The Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant - MD
>> What would you expect from her vacuous gob ?
>>
Steam?

46201 - The Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant - Armel Coussine
Very handsome loco, looking fabulous in that dark LMS red.

46201 - The Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant - henry k
>> Nicely done, the weather conditions add to it, I like the way you 'spliced' the
>> end bit on as well.
>>
Can you splice on its salute and its reverse off the bridge ?

If I had it, I would! Its a done deal now tho, up there and loaded.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 3 Jun 12 at 22:57

>> >> Nicely done, the weather conditions add to it, I like the way you 'spliced'
>> the
>> >> end bit on as well.
>> >>
>> Can you splice on its salute and its reverse off the bridge ?

You won't believe how I got that BBC broadcast clip. Its a video of my Sony TV screen, playback from the Humax.

46201 - The Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant - Ted

" Princess Elizabeth " TRAIN on Battersea bridge !!!......Grrrr.

Noticed today Finish were flogging Golden Jubilee dishwasher tablets and Fairy were doing the same with washing up liquid.....barking !

Had a go myself...joined three small tie-wraps, red, white and blue ones, together and offered them to a passing neighbour for a fiver. Limited edition, I told her.

Just got me usual verbal abuse !

Ted

The Duke! - Zero
At last. I got the Duke. The unique (only one ever built) BR Standard Class 8P 71000 Duke of Gloucester.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wSEGJy8oxE

Why is it unique? Read here

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_Standard_Class_8

Unique location too, not been a passenger steam train down this line since it was electrified in 1930.

The Duke! - Dog
Pristine condition the old Duke, like a well cared for classic car, I might buy a steam Loco of my own if I win the €uromillions this weekend.

Rule Britannia - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=W53mjKaiWMU

70000 Britannia at Bagshot, a surprisingly pretty and twee station, unlike any of its ilk on that loop line

Rule Britannia - Dog
I do hope the Magpie got out of the way in time, such dear sweet little birds aren't they.

/(*_*)

End of a railway. - Ted

Unwanted and unloved by Deutche Bahn...........this rural byway in Germany is removed from the face of the Earth.

www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=FPe4Y6QlhZc

Ted

End of a railway. - Dog
I wouldn't mind buying an olde Victorian railway station and converting it, I've seen a few already done over the years and they don't come cheap, same as old Locks etc..

In fact a Lock-keepers cottage could be even better - by the River, see :)

Tangmere - Fast! - Zero
Decided to plan for, and film a fast 'un.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLlT0A6cXG0

Tangmere - Fast! - Dog
Nice one - it was sooo fast it was gorn by the time you panned around :)

Tangmere - Fast! - R.P.
Cracking evocative vid Zero. Thanks.

Tangmere - Fast! - Zero
> it was sooo fast it was gorn by the time you panned around :)

I just reviewed the footage in my video editor. 60 foot of Mk1 coach passes a fixed point in 0.5 seconds, so that 120 feet per second. You can do your own maths but he is pushing his 75mph max rating a bit.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 9 Jun 12 at 18:53

A4 Puzzle. - Ted

Here's a nice picture of one of the surviving A4 pacifics 'Union of South Africa '
But what's unusual about this locomotive ?

s479.photobucket.com/albums/rr152/1400ted/anna/?action=view¤t=300px-Union-of-South-Africa.jpg

Ted

A4 Puzzle. - Zero
1/ The springbok plaque?

2/ Its not wearing the valances? the other A4s currently are.

A4 Puzzle. - Ted

Time you were in bed, Zed.

It was the thread by Pat on Ospreys that rang a little bell. I thought that there was an A4 by the name, as one of the ' bird ' series...but I was wrong. Or rather, I was right.

The name 'Osprey ' was allocated to this engine but never carried. It entered the paint shop in April 1937 and came out in June as ' Union of South Africa '. This was to celebrate the recent formation of the union.

It ran under this name until withdrawal and then on into preservation until the political situation in the 1980s/90s resulted in the name being removed and the name ' Osprey ' applied.

Many locos were renamed or amended..Malta became Malta G.C, and so forth. I think the ' Union ' is probably unique in the number of changes it had !

Ted

A4 Puzzle. - Zero
Really busy Schedule this Morning

09:20 film Bittern,
09:28 Film Oliver Cromwell,
09:35 Eat Mcdonalds Bacon Roll & Hash Brown breakfast.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVtEQjwTyPk

A4 Puzzle. - Dog
Two for the price of one ~ bogof!

A4 Puzzle. - Londoner
Good filming, Zero. You only get one chance to film them so it's good that you a Mr "One Take".
You could have your own motto like "It takes one, for Know Wun".

. . . . it's OK...I know my own way out.

A4 Puzzle. - Zero
you are a wun.

A4 Puzzle. - Armel Coussine
That grotty LNER blue does look good on the Bittern... GWR rolling stock though some of it?

You are good with that long zoom in (or is it out?) Zero. The sound is what really does it for me though. Steam locos, I've seen'em a'gogo. But sounds like scents bring stuff back physically.

A4 Puzzle. - spamcan61
>> That grotty LNER blue does look good on the Bittern... GWR rolling stock though some
>> of it?
>>
Looks like BR Mk1 stock - probably early sixties vintage - painted in GWR colours. The Western Region of BR did do this to some of their MK1 express coach stock in the late fifties, so it's only a semi-fictional livery.

A4 Puzzle. - Dog
Mister Z Sir, did you catch this: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00dzzdc/Timeshift_Series_8_The_Last_Days_of_Steam/

A4 Puzzle. - Zero
Indeed I did. Fascinating.

A4 Puzzle. - Zero
I caught them on the return trip last night. The weather had turned foul, you can't believe how wet I got, but I think the result was well worth it

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa46ihc3gQI

A4 Puzzle. - Dog
>>but I think the result was well worth it<<

Mucho! - I can see you had to cover the camera with Fifi's blanket.

:}

A4 Puzzle. - Bigtee
Your bonkers stood in the rain not like you havn't got many shots already.!!

Have you been to Crewe works?

Doncaster has many spotters looking over at there works some good stuff in the yard to see if your ever up this way.

A4 Puzzle. - Zero
>> Your bonkers stood in the rain not like you havn't got many shots already.!!

I have done trains in the sun, fog, rain, wind, I need SNOW, SNOW I tell you!
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 22 Jun 12 at 11:53

A4 Puzzle. - Dog
>>I need SNOW, SNOW I tell you!<<

Gotta be 'the right type' of snow tho.

The Titfield Thunderbolt. - Zero
Yes really, thats what the excursion is called. Tangmere on its way to CGN's location Norwich/Cromer/Holt, caught at Foxton in Cambs.

This video is going to get me in trouble. I shall incur much abuse in railway forums, accused of putting the future of steam trips in danger, and probably be blackballed from the NUG (National Union of Gricers)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zygq3J-JBhY

The Titfield Thunderbolt. - Focusless
>> This video is going to get me in trouble.

Because of the close proximity to the subject matter? Not technically legal and hence 'cheating', or something like that?

BTW don't go killing yourself on our behalf :)
Ah it was a tripod? That's cheating?

>> >> This video is going to get me in trouble.
>>
>> Because of the close proximity to the subject matter? Not technically legal and hence 'cheating',
>> or something like that?

Something like that. I included the shooting position to show its actually "legal". (have to say its VERY close - the camera is less than a foot away from the actual running gauge)

Great vantage point - did you have to get there early to claim that?

Yes, and avoid the brown stains on the platform.

The Titfield Thunderbolt. - MD
Clever siteing KW

The Titfield Thunderbolt. - Dog
That wind noise don't alf spoil it guvnor, you need some Cornish rain to damp it down.

Going to try and fit some foam screens over the mikes.

The Titfield Thunderbolt. - Dog
Interesting write up on Foxton as well.

The Titfield Thunderbolt. - Bigtee
So long as your not over the white line on the platform you will be ok, if you are the world will be rid of one less train spotter & plenty more to go. :-)

Tornado - Zero
One for the Berks on here! That is you lot that live around Reading way, train filmed at Twyford.

Dog, as my sound engineer, what does this sound like - done some mods to the mics on the camera.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_UDPSCiGMU

Tornado - Dog
>>Dog, as my sound engineer, what does this sound like<<

Ha! - I used to 'work in films' (not a lot of people know that) over in Beak St. W.1.

Yea, its a vast improvement Mr Z, but it wasn't very windy today, was it :)

I like the position/distance you are shooting from as well as you see more of the train.

Tornado - Armel Coussine
In the fifties I used to take trains from Windsor to Bath, Southern Electric to Reading I think and to Bath from there. So Twyford very familiar somehow.

The sound was better before Zero.

EDIT: I'm surprised Dog seems to think the opposite. Damn hifi buffs, BOOOOsheeit...
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 26 Jun 12 at 19:38

Tornado - Bigtee
Nice HST the steamer wasn't bad for the 90th time how many more shots do we have to cope with?

Variaty is the spice of life film something else can you PLEASE. :-)

Take a trip up North spend your pension on some rail tickets and film this lot. :-)
 Tornado - Zero
Oh!

Ok no more steamers then.

Tornado - Armel Coussine
>> The sound was better before Zero.

>> Damn hifi buffs, BOOOOsheeit...

I take all that back. Had the volume turned right down. How embarrassing.

East Coast railway line closed - ....
Saw this in the Sky news report:
"East Coast Trains said it had cancelled all services between Newcastle and Edinburgh for Friday following floods in Cumbria and near Newcastle and a landslip near Berwick-upon-Tweed."

I can understand the flooding near Newcastle being an issue , the landslip near Berwick again would be an issue but flooding in Cumbria causing the closure of the East Coast line between Newcastle and Edinburgh ???

I expect to read the M25 is closed due to the French eating cheese next.

East Coast railway line closed - Bromptonaut
>> Saw this in the Sky news report:
>> "East Coast Trains said it had cancelled all services between Newcastle and Edinburgh for Friday
>> following floods in Cumbria and near Newcastle and a landslip near Berwick-upon-Tweed."
>>
>> I can understand the flooding near Newcastle being an issue , the landslip near Berwick
>> again would be an issue but flooding in Cumbria causing the closure of the East
>> Coast line between Newcastle and Edinburgh ???

Confused or ignorant editing at a guess. There were problems last night on the West coast mainline with landslips and flooding in the Tebay area. Also a fire on a train. Some took 15 hours to get from London to Glasgow with little food.

Passenger interviewed on radio this morning laconically obsereved theyd had three of the four horsemen; only pestilence was missing. Mind you he'd probably have found that in the loos.

Alaska Railroad Glacier Discovery train - Dog
This is an excellent video of a train, good positioning and panning plus smooth zoom, wind noise well subdued:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=copJk4HEGy0

Last edited by: Dog on Tue 3 Jul 12 at 08:36

Alaska Railroad Glacier Discovery train - Ted

The one in the titles shot seems to have really good brakes, Bonzo !

Ted

Laying track...how it was.... - Ted

Interesting film and not a H & S man in sight........don't know if Bigtee's on it ,though !

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PZtZ0cCJU8&feature=g-vrec

Ted

Laying track...how it was.... - Dog
Different world back then Teddy, I often wonder why its has all gorn wrong (IMO), buts that's progress for ya.

Ha!

Laying track...how it was.... - Bigtee
Interesting film and not a H & S man in sight........don't know if Bigtee's on it ,though !

Im not that old!!!!

Deltic D9009 Alycidon - Zero
Att Hopalong Bromptonaut.

D9009 Test Run/Light Engine move - Tuesday 24 July

Timings have now been received for D9009's main line run (0Z55) from Castleton to Wembley which takes place on Tuesday July 24th. These are as follows:

Castleton (Groudframe) 09.45, Castleton North Junc 09.56/58, Manchester Vic 10.12/13, Earlestown 10.36, Warrington BQ 10.48, Winsford 11.03, Crewe Basford Hall Junc 11.39, Stafford 12.06, Nuneaton 12.46, Rugby 13.08/24, Northampton 14.09, Milton Keynes 14.29, Watford Junction 15.04, Wembley 15.25.

Please remember the move may run early or late.

Looks like you have a 16 minute window at/near Rugby (sidings? relief line?) and a Northampton pass through (down slow)
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 23 Jul 12 at 13:58

Deltic D9009 Alycidon - Bromptonaut
Thanks Z. Hopefully will be away from fracture clinic (app @ 11:00) in time to see at Northampton. I read her as going in the up - London - direction in which case it'll probably be the centre road but all four lines a bi-di signalled.

Actually Long Buckby around 14:00 may be a better bet for seeing and hearing ,the beast under power.

Don't forget tho this is only the light test, and loco positioning run, for Wednesdays fast heavy haul up the ECML. NO doubt it will get a fitness to run inspection tuesday night at the depot before mating with its 13 annie and clarabels. and of course I meant UP > London.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 23 Jul 12 at 14:38

Just got there in time. D9009 passed through Northampton at around 13:55 resplendent in two tone green.

Was too late to get a picture but got a good view and savoured the sound as power applied after the 20 PSR through station. Lots of smoke too - classic Deltic.

Thanks again to Z for the hedzup.

Aim to catch it for a video at cock crow (about 7am) at Welwyn North.

Hope you got to see it Z. One of the vids from yesterday says it failed later.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwpyK-3J1Bw

>> Hope you got to see it Z. One of the vids from yesterday says it
>> failed later.

Don't know where they got that idea from, it was held up by a points failure, but was happily munching on copious barrels of acton depot crude oil at 20:30 last night.

And here it is, BR class 55 "Deltic" D9009 Alycidon thundering through Welwyn North. looking, sounding and smelling magnificent.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FfXa_W5IPs

Deltic D9009 Alycidon - Dog
>>BR class 55 "Deltic" D9009 Alycidon thundering through Welwyn North. looking, sounding and smelling magnificent<<

They ain't invented smellyvision yet, thankfully!

They should.

Deltic D9009 Alycidon - Dog
Only for steam locomotives though, who wants to niff burnt diesel??

Boats parking in Canary Wharf right now - smokie
The big Boys Toys are turning up. I have taken some pics but will refer you to library pics as they are better!! In dock today there were:

www.burgessyachts.com/Charter/YachtSpecs.asp?thisID=10437&YachtName=SEANNA

www.octopusyacht.net/ and

www.superyachts.com/motor-yacht-2863/ilona.htm

I saw somewhere that Seanna costs €434000 per week to hire. Suppose it's not bad if you fill all eleven guest berths and split the cost... Wonder if that includes the fuel and free run of the drinks cabinet?

Octopus is owned by a co-founder of Microsoft and has two helicopters and two submarines.

There was also a clipper type sailing thing, didn't get the name

Boats parking in Canary Wharf right now - Kevin
All the VIPs are arriving.

Sat in the garden about 7pm yesterday evening enjoying a margarita and four large executive jets come over from the west. Nose to tail, about 10 minutes apart, throttled back and well below 10 thousand feet.

Probably Lud and his entourage heading into Farnborough.

Boats parking in Canary Wharf right now - devonite
Me thinks our boss, Mr R Abramovitch has the biggest toy! - and why are they called Yachts? not a sail in sight!

Boats parking in Canary Wharf right now - smokie
This had arrived this morning - a floating hotel apparently.

www.simplonpc.co.uk/DeilmannJPEGs/DeilmannDeutsch06_b.jpg
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 24 Jul 12 at 21:13

Boats parking in Canary Wharf right now - Ted

Ah, the Deutschland.........certainly looks better than when it was a pocket battleship.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zBOxEPZLdo

Ted

Boats parking in Canary Wharf right now - Zero
Distinctly poor war record the Deutschland, even after changing its name to try and change the luck.

Yeah, big mistake to change it to Die Ente sitzend !

Ted

Boats parking in Canary Wharf right now - Bigtee
Zero, Which web sites are best to find pictures of local railway stations from years gone by?

Current or Closed?

www.disused-stations.org.uk/

For closed. For open you just have to search the web for images by statin name.

Boats parking in Canary Wharf right now - Dulwich Estate
Zero,

I've tried Simvastatin and Rosuvastatin but I still don't get any station images. :-)
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Wed 25 Jul 12 at 11:13

They are on the capillary line.

Current, will try google ta.

Typical Z....statin the obvious !

Ted

Boats parking in Canary Wharf right now - Focusless
>> Current or Closed?
>>
>> www.disused-stations.org.uk/
>>
>> For closed.

Mail has a feature with nice photos on abandoned stations (mostly USA, some European):
tinyurl.com/bv96j8t

Boats parking in Canary Wharf right now - Dog
>>Mail has a feature with nice photos on abandoned stations (mostly USA, some European):<<

That station in Abkhazia, Spain, is ripe for a Grand Design!

This one, Mayfield, in Manchester certainly isn't !

tinyurl.com/buk9qpo

Ted

Boats parking in Canary Wharf right now - Dog
>>This one, Mayfield, in Manchester certainly isn't !<<

Reminds me of the film I watched last night staring Clint Eastwood and Patrick McGoohan!

Steamer at Leeds just left 09.55 Heading West.

Had a good trip other week from Pickering to Grosmont then to Whitby on the steamer my lad who's 4 loved it sticking his head out the top window to smell the coal fumes and steam.!!

Nowt at Grosmont what a mistake that was had 1hr there went to a cafe should have got off before at Goathland at least there's a bit more to do.

Thats the York to Carlisle excursion. If it was Black it was an LMS 5MT "Black five" or if it was green it was LMS Royal Scott class - 46115 'Scots Guardsman'

Green with Maroon carriages, if id have got there sooner id have popped on board i know the driver he does the steamers and Tampers & used to work for us.

Latest Forum Posts