Non-motoring > Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles vol 8   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 103

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles vol 8 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 9 *****

Volume 8 - NO CARS :-)

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 7 is here

Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 26 May 12 at 18:39

Bittern and Blades. - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIsrI5Z8rdc

It should have been LMS princess class 46201 Princess Elizabeth, but that loco failed its FTR test at 15:00 yesterday due to a leaking pipe. Bittern was quickly promoted up to make this Cathedrals Express run, Banbury to Swanage, at short notice - quite a feat to prep it so quickly. So we have LNER A4 Class 4-6-2 no 60019 Bittern [4464], no longer hiding as Dominion of South Africa, powering up the long incline through Grately Station in Hampshire. Grately is only a few miles from the Army Air Base at Middle Wallop, and right on cue two Agusta Westland Apache AH1 Helo's fly over the station along the route of the line Coincidence they were there at the same time of the train? Bet you not.

Video is straight out of the camera, straight onto Youtube with no edits or trimming.

Bittern and Blades. - devonite
>> Dominion of South Africa, - thought it was New Zealand! ;-)

Looks better in her own clothes!
Last edited by: devonite on Thu 19 Apr 12 at 14:48

Bittern and Blades. - Zero
poops! I was getting mixed up with the union of south africa!

Bittern and Blades. - Dog
They looked like mosquitoes those retpocileh things.

Gloriana moored at Richmond Bridge. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17766367

The royal barge built for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee was lowered into the Thames just by the London Apprentice pub at Old Isleworth.
We set off to have a look at it yesterday. We were very fortunate that we chose to cross the Thames at Richmond rather than three other alternatives bridges because the Gloriana had been rowed from Isleworth up river to Richmond Bridge.
As we crossed the bridge, I just caught a glimpse of the gold brightening up the dismal afternoon so that saved us a few miles. I quick U turn and after parking very near the tow path we went for a viewing.
It is certainly an impressive item of British craftsmanship.
We were able to get within a couple of feet from it so could admire some of the intricate details. With only a maximum no of about 12 viewers there we were able to take unhindered, lots of pics.

We were told it will be moored there for just a few days so if anyone is interested get there asap before the word gets round and there is a mob.

Some good photos ( forget te source) pics of the deliveryand on the river.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2131920/Ruling-waves-First-Royal-barge-100-years-makes-maiden-voyage-Thames.html

Gloriana moored at Richmond Bridge. - Duncan
Where is it moored, Henry?

Right by Richmond Bridge?
Last edited by: Duncan on Fri 20 Apr 12 at 07:29

>> Where is it moored, Henry?
>>
>> Right by Richmond Bridge?
>>
Yes. On the Richmond side, by the arched boatbuilders workshops, near the bottom of the steps that come down from the bridge.
We used the acess to a small floating restaurant to get within just a few feet of it.

Parking ? I parked in the public car park behing Bamber Gascoignes place.
From the bridge going into the town centre - as you enter the one way system take the very first left towards The Green, almost immediately fork left along the front of Dickie Attenboroughs rather fine abode and then left again. the car park is at the bottom of the road behind flood walls.

Then just walk along the tow path. High tide is around 3pm when the road may be flooded.

Beware - the route out of Richmond could be compromised due to an exit from The Green being closed. Unless you want to go over Twickenham Bridge then drive from the car park along the tow path and the up the cobbled lane into the one way system .
The other exit from The Green is by the Orange tree Theatre.

No idea re crowds etc as the word about it circulates.

Gloriana moored at Richmond Bridge. - Zero
what on earth made them choose the LA wharf to launch it? As the pictures show, its a nasty tortuous little route heavy with parked cars. I guess it has to be above Teddington Lock, but there are plenty of other places,

Anyway, now we can officially call this thread Boats and Planes and Trains.

>> what on earth made them choose the LA wharf to launch it? As the pictures
>> show, its a nasty tortuous little route heavy with parked cars.
>>
It is close to where the craft was built. The route is OK from the Brentford ( West Middlesex Hospital end) with only one bend.
The other access to the LA is a six feet squeeze and a hump back bridge over the exit fron the Duke of Northumberlan, Mill Pond.
Concorde came the same way to the LA.
(I think the cars were probably West Mid staffs cars.)

>>I guess it has to be above Teddington Lock, but there are plenty of other places,
>>
LA is below both the gates at Richmond Lock and Teddington.
They rowed up to Richmand with the tide.
>>
>> Anyway, now we can officially call this thread Boats and Planes and Trains.
>>
I like it.

Think it depends on your definition of "above" To make it clear, the LA is on the tidal side of Teddington lock (and richmond half lock). My assumption - wrongly or rightly is that they wouldn't want to take it through Teddington lock.

From conversations with the "staff " on site, the master boat builder has his workshop under the first arch of the tow path premises.
The Gloriana has been positioned to Richmond for some more fitting out prior to moving downstream for formal activities in a couple of weeks time.

Up to 20 years old I lived within a few minutes of Richmond Lock.
Many are not aware that the Thames is semi tidal from Richmond Lock to Teddington except for about a week in November each year.
They then in effect leave the plug out (do not lower the sluice gates at Richmond Lock). This leaves the bed of the river partially exposed so you can walk on it and certainly walk under the arch on the Richmond side of Richmond Bridge is you do not mind the mud.
Quite a few folk help clear rubbish out of the river at this time while the PA check moorings etc.

I remember when two teenage girls were murdered, 1950(?) on Ham fields(?), the Thames was drained to search for evidence. Surprising how much water was left behind.

I assume all the sluice gates at Teddington were dropped and all sluices downstream were raised.

They would need to stop the flow at teddington, and at low tide raise the half lock at richmond, leaving the section between at the level of low tide.

Thats the best you would get

>> ... 1950(?) .. the Thames was drained to search for evidence. Surprising how much water was left behind.
>>

www.flickr.com/photos/52328471@N00/6354364235/
Shows lowest tide and high tide but not normal low tide.

>> >> ... 1950(?) .. the Thames was drained to search for evidence. Surprising how much
>> water was left behind.
>> >>>>
>> www.flickr.com/photos/52328471@N00/6354364235/
>> Shows lowest tide and high tide but not normal low tide.

The part of the Thames that I saw was near Eel Pie Island, some friends and I tried to walk across, but couldn't do it.

When I saw this in the 50s, the sluices at Teddington would have been holding back their maximum.

I have tried to Google for the murders that I refer to, but couldn't find anything relevant. After the suspect was taken to Twickenham(?) police station, a copper found an axe in the back of the car, the copper took the axe home to chop his firewood! The murder suspect was subsequently tried and executed.

>>The part of the Thames that I saw was near Eel Pie Island, some friends and I tried to walk across, but couldn't do it.
>>

tinyurl.com/6mzrqqt - www.thisislocallondon.co.uk

link shortened for those without widescreen
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 20 Apr 12 at 18:24

>>Many are not aware that the Thames is semi tidal from Richmond Lock to Teddington except for about a week in November each year.
>>
The sluice gates at Richmond lock in action.
www.thamesdiscovery.org/frog-blog/richmond-lock-and-weir

Only the three central arches have gates.One other arch has the lock and the fifth has a Slipway ( a set of rollers on a ramp for rowing boats / canoes etc to be man handled over).
When I was a lad the gates were wound up and down by hand 4 times a day x 365days ( minus a week) night and day. Been electrified many years now.
The bridge has been featured in films and adverts. IIRC there is only one other in the world and that is is Ireland somewhere.

Gloriana moored at Richmond Bridge. - crocks
>> We used the access to a small floating restaurant to get within just a few feet of it.

I remembered about this today, so this evening I cycled over there to have a look.
It is still in the same place but there was a security guard stopping people going down to the restaurant to look at the boat.

There were men still working on the boat at 8pm putting a royal crest on the stern.

It might not be a trireme but it's a very big boat to be rowed.

>>There were men still working on the boat at 8pm putting a royal crest on the stern.
>>It might not be a trireme but it's a very big boat to be rowed.

www.motorboatsmonthly.co.uk/news/531495/final-preparations-on-royal-barge-gloriana

It was rowed up the Thames from Old Isleworth to Richmond on the incoming tide.
It has to be a Greenwich tomorrow, which is a long way, for HM to name it.
I have no idea if it is being rowed on the outgoing tide of being towed.
It has an electric motor ( or two ?) but battery power for that distance ?

I realise how fortunate we were to get within a couple of feet of the craft.
Glad you got sight of it and yes it is a big row boat.
Each oar blade is ornately painted so no using them to push off from the pontoon. :-(

Gloriana moored at Richmond Bridge. - Old Navy
>> It might not be a trireme but it's a very big boat to be rowed.
>>

In one of the photos of the boat before it was craned into the water you can see a large propeller, which is probably attached to an engine of some sort. :-)

>> >> It might not be a trireme but it's a very big boat to be
>> rowed.
>> >>
>>
>> In one of the photos of the boat before it was craned into the water
>> you can see a large propeller, which is probably attached to an engine of some
>> sort. :-)
>>

I have just reviewed a video clip (Telegraph) and you can actually see two propellers, so it qualifies as a Twin Screw Diesel Yacht, (assuming diesel power). I think the oars are just for effect and to impress the punters. (groan) :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 25 Apr 12 at 10:23

Gloriana moored at Richmond Bridge. - Armel Coussine
>> I think the oars are just for effect and to impress the punters. (groan) :-)

More likely the propellers (electric power?) are for manoeuvring without the need for 18 oarsmen... are the screws featherable?

>> More likely the propellers (electric power?) are for manoeuvring without the need for 18 oarsmen...
>> are the screws featherable?
>>
From what photos I have viewed I can only see one very tiny prop.
IIRC from conversations with some of the guys on the craft it is electric driven ( I can find no print reference to this as it probably spoils the story)
So IMO very limited manoeuvring of a 100 foot craft with such an arrangement.

>> are the screws featherable?
>>
>>

No.

Its Clan Line Again - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_0l86zopTM

Nice whistle tho. Good Doppler effect.

Tomorrow I am off to film Bittern heading north, at a spot I have sorted between Sandy and Huntingdon
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 20 Apr 12 at 17:52

>> Tomorrow I am off to film Bittern heading north, at a spot I have sorted
>> between Sandy and Huntingdon

And here it is.

74 years after it first appeared on this spot, LNER A4 Class 4-6-2 no 4464 Bittern is still to be seen pounding up the East Coast Main Line. Between St Neots and Huntingdon, driving into a strong Northerly wind, Bittern appears dead on time. This is the first leg of the Marathon 9 day steam tour around Great Britain, Kings Cross to York, where 70013 Oliver Cromwell will take over to complete day 1 to Edinburgh.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRU-fcksakg

Its Clan Line Again - Dog
What was my car doing in Oxfordshire ... wife, can I have a word with you, please.

chuck that sat nav of yours in the bin willya, that was Cambridgeshire.

Its Clan Line Again - Dog
Satnav, pah! - it was a dog eared 1970's copy of the A to Z mate.

Its Clan Line Again - Bigtee
Had a steamer at Sheffield station this morning Zero couldn't get close enough to see what it was all green engine with loads of carriages with a diesel on the back, i was grafing at the sidings. :-(

Full of camera happy people. :-)

Its Clan Line Again - devonite
I was just thinking that she was going at a good lick! - then it was left for dead by that silver bullet!

>> I was just thinking that she was going at a good lick! - then it
>> was left for dead by that silver bullet!

Steamers are limited to 75mph on the main line, while the HST isn't, and thats a fast stretch, so Bittern would be pushing 75, and HST would be pushing 100mph plus.

We are about 20 miles short of stoke bank where Mallard (Bitterns sister) clapped out at 126 mph.

>> Had a steamer at Sheffield station this morning Zero couldn't get close enough to see
>> what it was

It was LMS Coronation Class 4-6-2 no 46233 Duchess of Sutherland

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgs8-Au_Ux8

It looks foul in green, it should be in LMS crimson.

>> Satnav, pah! - it was a dog eared 1970's copy of the A to Z
>> mate.

Must have been the dyslexic version then.

Boeing Dreamliner to fly over Derby tomorrow - Dave_
As a special thankyou to the Rolls-Royce workers who build its engines, a Boeing 787 Dreamliner will perform a low-level flypast of the RR factory in Derby at 9.00am tomorrow, en route from Gatwick to Heathrow airports:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-17851940

If I wasn't working in the morning I'd go over to Sinfin Lane and watch it. With a bit of luck I'll be passing LHR as it arrives there though :)

GWR Castle Class - Zero
GWR Castle Class 4-6-0 no 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrIjF0mkN-I
 GWR Castle Class - Ted

Nice fillum, Z.

The locomotive name was taken from another GWR locomotive in the 1930s.
Originally on a ' Duke of Cornwall ' class 4-4-0. This class was rebuilt together with the similar ' Bulldog ' class and became known as the ' Dukedogs ' . No. 3022 carried the name until it was needed for the 'Castle ' and was un-named after that.

Somewhere in my small memory bank, I recalled another engine of the same name. A little research in one of my books brought to light one of 3 locomotives owned by the Plymouth, Davenport & South Western Junction Rly, This was a small 0-6-2 tank engine. The PDSW was a dock railway feeding the London & South Western Rly's main line for onward transit of goods.

It became Southern Railway no. 30757 in 1923 and ran until scrapping in 1957.

Ted

GWR Castle Class - spamcan61
>>
>> Somewhere in my small memory bank, I recalled another engine of the same name. A
>> little research in one of my books brought to light one of 3 locomotives owned
>> by the Plymouth, Davenport & South Western Junction Rly, This was a small 0-6-2 tank
>> engine. The PDSW was a dock railway feeding the London & South Western Rly's main
>> line for onward transit of goods.
>>
>> It became Southern Railway no. 30757 in 1923 and ran until scrapping in 1957.
>>
>> Ted
>>

I seem to recall from a book of mine that the PD&SWJR was one of the most profitable 'little' railways in the country in the early 20th century; they provided the London & South Western Railway with a means of reaching Plymouth (and hence competing with the GWR for the lucrative boat traffic to London) without the LSWR having to build their own line from Tavistock. The ex PD&SWJR branch line from Bere Alston up to Callington (now ending at Gunnislake) is still a lovely scenic journey on a nice day.

One for dog - Zero
Dog me ole canem.

You have a bit of an unusual event down your way on Saturday. There is a service from Penzance / Plymouth / Exeter st Davids. Its a 12 coach train with BR Britannia Class 4-6-0 no 70013 Oliver Cromwell at one end, and SR Light Pacific Class 4-6-2 no 34067 Tangmere at the other. Olie probably pulling and Tangmere probably pushing.

schedule here

www.uksteam.info/tours/t12/t0505a.htm

I guess the section nearest to you is Ivybridge > Totness > Newton Abbot

get that camera out Doggie!

One for dog - Dog
I'll check it out later me ole mucker, I'll also have a word with a china plate who lives in Plymouth.

One for dog - Duncan
>> I'll check it out later me ole mucker, I'll also have a word with a
>> china plate who lives in Plymouth.
>>

Pedant Corner.

May I respectfully point out, that when using rhyming slang, it is accepted custom and practice; NOT to use the second word of a two word rhyming slang expression.

e.g. China, for china plate = mate.

I hope this finds you as it leaves me.

etc etc

Duncan

One for dog - Zero

>> May I respectfully point out,

Iron!

One for dog - Duncan
>>
>> >> May I respectfully point out,
>>
>> Iron!
>>

Glad you like it!

One for dog - Dog
>>e.g. China, for china plate = mate<<

Eh, doesn't sound quite right though chief, does it - a China that lives in Plymouth :}

One for dog - Dog
Zero - - - I live in Cornwall you know? not Devon, so I'll shoot Olie somewhere between Truro & Lostwithiel.

I must admit I've never used the video capability on my camera so I'll have a play with it and press a few buttons between now and Saturday :)

One for dog - Zero
Ah! I thought you lived on the edge of Dartmoor. I guess you live on the edge of Bodmin moor!

One for dog - Clk Sec
I think Westie lives on the edge of Dartmoor.

One for dog - Dog
Moor or less.

Steam engines - Dog
Anyone for steam engines: www.cornwallcam.co.uk/

Beat the jams.... - Ted

Nice pictures, Bonzo.

This might get you there a bit quicker, though !

martinjetpack.com/video-gallery.aspx

Ted

Beat the jams.... - Dog
Naffin Nora!! - could come in useful for bunking in Old Trafford though ;)

Titanic to sail again? - devonite
This would be nice to see! - I hope it happens, and I cant think why it hasn`t been done before now!

www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/30/titanic-ii-australian-rebuild-liner?newsfeed=true

Edit: Seems like it may actually be happening!!!

natgeotv.com/ca/rebuilding-the-titanic
Last edited by: devonite on Thu 3 May 12 at 01:25

Titanic to sail again? - Zero
Clearly the bloke is a complete nutta.

had invited the Chinese navy to escort Titanic II on its maiden voyage from Britain to the US

Yeah both The UK and the US are going to welcome the Chinese navy inshore with open arms.

These people produced work that is still marvelled at more than 100 years later and we want that spirit to go on for another 100 years," he said.

Everyone knows the ship was a badly designed badly built heap of junk.

Titanic II, in Palmer's eyes, will be a tribute to the men and women who built the original ship

By building it in China.

You know, you would almost think he sold all the output of his mining conglomerate to China.

Oh! he does.

Titanic to sail again? - R.P.
Zero, fancy building a remote control Iceberg ?
 Titanic to sail again? - CGNorwich
"Zero, fancy building a remote control Iceberg ?"

No He's busy re- creating the Hindenburg

35028 Clan Line in the rain - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbjXYIYDPvg

35028 Clan Line in the rain - Dog
Nice one! - I spose the 3rd great british worker there is the look-out man.

Oliver Cromwell/Tangmere Steam Locomotive - Dog
Here we go then - The Oliver Cromwell/Tangmere Steam Locomotive flying through Cornwall.

Blink and y'all miss it, it's my first 'movie' and even Hitchycock had to start somewhere!

www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/7145081797/
Last edited by: Webmaster on Sat 5 May 12 at 16:29

Oliver Cromwell/Tangmere Steam Locomotive - Zero
Nice one perro!

Thats Tangmere up front, coupled with Oliver cromwell as a pair, not top and tailed as I thought!

Can I put that one on my youtube group? I will give you full credits..

Ask one of the mods to give you my email addy

Yep! - stick it on Zero, I'm not fussed about the credits though, and you do the titles etc. nicely.

Any mods not watching football, can you let me have Zero's email address por favor.

Oliver Cromwell/Tangmere Steam Locomotive - devonite
>>even Hitchycock had to start somewhere!

Didn`t he have a "Walk-on" part in his films? - not that i`m suggesting you should "Walk-on" on yours!! ;-)

If I'd walk on any further ike, I'd ave bin a'gonna!

Oliver Cromwell/Tangmere Steam Locomotive - Zero
Did you enjoy doing the filming Dog?

Yes, I did actually Zero, I'd previously contacted various people in Cornwall asking their opinions about the best vantage point (which I'm saving for next time!)

In the end I went to a small quiet station called Par but - it wasn't quiet at all and I couldn't get near the place.

Then I put plan B into operation which involved shooting the video from a bridge just outside the station but, there were loads of folk there with their little 1s 6p cameras,

So then I put plan C into operation which involved climbing over a locked gate onto private property
( I'm a cockney remember) and then making my way through thick nettles to a spot beside the track
(I could see the rails near me were rusty and so unused)

I set the camera up on my 20 year old Slik easi-glide, and waited, and waited, and then (hoot!

I started filming thinking the train would be slowly making its way out of the station, but no - whoosh! the blimming thing roared through at nigh-on 50mph and it was all over within a few seconds!

Oliver Cromwell/Tangmere Steam Locomotive - MD
>> and it was all over within a few seconds!
>>
Sounds familiar!

RAF day out... - R.P.
20 to 30 Hawks (too far away to say whether T1 or T2) flying low and slow this morning - in a sort of formation followed by a single jet higher in shepherding role....where were they all going ??

RAF day out... - Fenlander
It's the jubilee flypast rehersals due 8th-11th May. Dan Snow's about there at the moment setting up some filming. This guy is up with them taking photos too... www.flickr.com/photos/43024879@N08/sets/72157623911028300/

Then on 15th May is this...

On 15 MAY 12 RAF Valley will host a very special set of airborne guests from across the Service. We know there's going to be lots of you out there who want to come along and see them practice and we want to help.

From 0900 RAF Valley will host a charity donation car park at Anglesey Showground near Mona Airfield. The donation will be £5 which you can be sure RAF Valley will then target in support of the most deserving causes in Anglesey alongside our brilliant charity partners Medrwn Mon. In return we'll give you an info pack and RAF Valley goody bag with some really cool gizzits!

We have to make sure the Airfield is secure and safe for everyone so we've planned you all an enclosure on our Mona site, where you can get spectacular photos and feel part of the action. Our Outreach Team will be there to talk to you all too.

The BBC will be there taking exclusive footage so you might even be on TV!

Please note the RAF Police and North Wales Police won't allow parking on the A5 - it just poses danger for local people and drivers so please use our car park.

RAF day out... - John H
>> 20 to 30 Hawks (too far away to say whether T1 or T2) flying low
>> and slow this morning - in a sort of formation followed by a single jet
>> higher in shepherding role....where were they all going ??
>>

You can try asking on these Twitter and/or Facebook pages:

twitter.com/rafvalleymco

www.facebook.com/RAFValley

RAF day out... - R.P.
We're on the flight path for Mona here - shame I'm "working" that day. Thanks for the info BTW...

RAF day out... - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-18071191

The weather was more than just a little marginal today for this - hailstones galore !

Curtiss Kittyhawk.. - R.P.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2142300/Crashed-plane-Second-World-War-pilot-Dennis-Copping-discovered-Sahara-desert.html

Curtiss Kittyhawk.. - Zero
Wow, thats fabulous, love the shots of the cockpit! real time machine.

Tornado in the Fens! - Zero
Not far from Pats place this week, a spot called Manea.

Tornado on a very tortuous route from Colchester to York on the only line that crosses the heart of the fens.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfH3tvCSYJk

And on the way back down South, I bumped into this at Wansford, one from Teds old back yard.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFOwsnfGwi4

Interesting for the static traveling post office vans.

Tornado in the Fens! - Dog
Some great shots, you're getting good at this, nice to see the business end (cockpit?) and the drivers.

That wooden bridge didn't half bounce up and down when it went over at the end!

Have you ever thought about knocking up some sort of wind proof microphone:

zedomax.com/blog/2010/02/27/mic-hack-how-to-make-a-windproof-microphone-blimp-with-shock-mount/

the camera has no mic socket. The (very sensitive) mikes are either side of the lens, just by the narrow gap between the lens barrel and the flash, the ones where the wind whistles through
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 11 May 12 at 22:41

There is a stereo mic available for the G2, but its £110, this movie business can get expensive!

it can, I have just ordered a new Tripod!

Tornado in the Fens! - Ted

Nice to see the 4F. I have one in model form but there's a new, more detailed, one coming out. Saw plenty in me youth bringing coal trains down the Midland main line across the field from our house.
It was the final development of the 6 coupled Midland Railway goods engine, starting with a design by Matthew Kirtley and ending with this LMS version by Sir Henry Fowler. A good solid, simple dependable loco often used for passenger work when needed.

Some new models coming out this year for 4mm buffs......a must for me, as a Lancashire & Yorkshire Rly fan, is Aspinall's 2-4-2 radial tank, the mainstay of suburban services in the north Manchester/Lancashire area. One, no. 1008, is preserved in the National Collection.

I'll get me order in next week !

Ted

Tornado in the Fens! - Pat
I have fond memories of that crossing at Manea Z;)

Pat

Archive - Ted

A nice archive fillum for the insomniacs here. I'll have a proper watch tomorrow. Nite Nite.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA-h73xDqXU

Ted

Archive - Dog
Very interesting Teddy, from the days when Made in Britain meant something!

New Rail Routes - Bromptonaut
Zero posted some film earlier of steamers in the Harringworth area, a line I'd thought was freight only.

Waiting to collect daughter last night at Wellingborough an EMT Meridian came through from St Pancras showing destination Melton Mowbray. Calling points including Corby and Oakham. Only possible route is Corby - Manton Junction. Presumably a new service started in May.

Not many punters on board though. Ten car train and they'd have got in a four with space to spare.

A through service to Lincoln, presumably via Nottingham, was due an hour later.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 19 May 12 at 10:24

New Rail Routes - Zero
I shall be at or near Manton Junction to film Britannia on a Leeds Victoria haul. It will probably take the Stamford leg, but its possible it will take the corby leg over the viaduct.

New Rail Routes - Harringworth - Zero
>> I shall be at or near Manton Junction to film Britannia on a Leeds Victoria
>> haul. It will probably take the Stamford leg, but its possible it will take the
>> corby leg over the viaduct.

And here it is, LMS Princess Class, southbound over the Harringworth Viaduct yesterday, heading south into a shed load of trouble - Rails warped in the heat further down the line at Kettering, and then congested main line into London due to OH lines down. Arrived 90 minutes late.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqd5dFWBxMM

Video taken under trying circumstances, jumping off a wall earlier in the day I badly sprained my ankle. (today its swollen to epic proportions) and then drove south into a completely gridlocked M25

New Rail Routes - Harringworth - Dog
Great video, thanks! - pity you cant do anything about the wind noise ( a must on your next camera)

Better get the frozen peas out for that ankle :(

This should do the job, we could all club together and buy it for you (with Lud's money!)

www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Coolpix-P510-Digital-Camera/dp/B0071L3M56/ref=dp_ob_image_ce

New Rail Routes - Harringworth - Old Navy
>> This should do the job, we could all club together and buy it for you
>> (with Lud's money!)
>>
>> www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Coolpix-P510-Digital-Camera/dp/B0071L3M56/ref=dp_ob_image_ce
>>

Mrs ON bought herself one earlier this week to replace her Canon 500D. Initial reports are good, she is particularly impressed with the quality of the lens and its sharpness both at macro and at extreme zoom.

tinyurl.com/cyl6p6f

Now on backorder.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 26 May 12 at 16:47

>>Mrs ON bought herself one earlier this week to replace her Canon 500D. Initial reports are good, she is particularly impressed with the quality of the lens and its sharpness both at macro and at extreme zoom<<

1000mm optical zoom (35mm equiv.) I'm jealous! - ideal for pics of wildlife, which is what I would use it for, mainly.

But reading the reviews, perhaps not ideal for fast moving video (isn't that what camcorders are for!)

New Rail Routes - Harringworth - Zero

>> But reading the reviews, perhaps not ideal for fast moving video (isn't that what camcorders
>> are for!)

Yes, toying with buying a Panasonic HDC-SD90

The newer (more money!) V700 has 2 Channel Zoom MIC with Wind Noise Cancelling, does the SD90 have that?

New Rail Routes - Harringworth - Old Navy
>> 1000mm optical zoom (35mm equiv.) I'm jealous! - ideal for pics of wildlife, which is
>> what I would use it for, mainly.
>>

Exactly what she uses the long end of the zoom for, she also likes macro shots of what I call weeds. We have one enlarged to A3 size framed and on a wall.

Her excuse for the purchase was the Canon was too big and heavy (she must be getting frail in her old age) and needed two lenses for the optical range she uses.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 26 May 12 at 18:19

New Rail Routes - Harringworth - R.P.
Is Audi A3 size ?

Brittania / Tornado - Zero
Yesterday was day 1 of an 8 day tour of Scotland. Unusually two engines used, Britannia to gather up the rich folk around Surrey and Kent, deposit their coaches at Victoria for Tornado to haul them North.

I caught Britannia three times on its shopping trip,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYHEBa6Xx48

For the first shot I only had to fall out of bed, for twas on my doorstep.

Then a run up north to catch the Tornado leg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ_wxnozfFk

This is all shot with the new Tripod. A Hähnel Triad 60 lite, with fluid damped head for smoother panning shots. A good 50 quids worth from Amazon.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 19 May 12 at 13:17

Brittania / Tornado - Dog
The 1st video is of Bobby Goldsboro??

Looks like you had near perfect weather conditions there.

My 20 year old Slik easi-glide is quite heavy & cumbersome really, but I don't use it much so that's OK.

Brittania / Tornado - Zero
>> The 1st video is of Bobby Goldsboro??

Looks like no-one is watching them then!

Its here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jHe84gt__A

Brittania / Tornado - Dog
>>Looks like no-one is watching them then!<<

Brilliant Z, one of the best you've done, you must sure have done some chasing about!

The Golden Arrow - Zero
Just like a picture I had in a book as a child. Tangmere dressed as the Golden Arrow (and why not it used to be) captured this morning.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3TsVfTRjI0

The Golden Arrow - Bromptonaut
Interesting set of coaches there Z, mostly the old Manchester Pullman set dating from WCML electrification?

Diesel there to satisfy their need for amps?

The Golden Arrow - Zero
The tour is promoted by Steam Dreams, SD have signed up to use West Coast Railway Company as the sole Train Operating Company this year. They bought and refurbished a lot of coaches (after many complaints) to run theses tours for the promoters. Steam Dreams have also added an extra class of Pullman Dining,.

The '47 has a miriad of uses today, It was used to haul the pax from Birmingham to Willesdon, where they were coupled to Tangmere, and its also there in case (when) tangmere disgraces itself again (caused chaos on a similar run last year Tangmere is very light-footed and slips easily) and it will be used to haul the pax and coaches back to Birmingham tonight.

The Golden Arrow - Zero
And here is Tangmere on its way back

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IytNKgpX3oU

Latest Forum Posts