Non-motoring > Weather Thread - Volume 6   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 100

Weather Thread - Volume 6 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 7 *****

More weather related tales/observations.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 25 Mar 13 at 00:58

Friday last minute drift. - Ted
First ' proper ' snow started at about 4pm today here. Windy as well.
The road outside is white with about an inch or so...no traffic to clear it.

Started just as I was embarking on a mile trek across the city retrieving cars and putting them back where they should be. Should have got a taxi.

By the time the tram got me home...standing all the way, no youngsters give you their seat these days, it was cold enough to freeze a monkeys bum.

Nice and white out of the window now...wonder what tomorrow will bring.

Ted
Last edited by: Ted on Fri 25 Jan 13 at 23:51

Friday last minute drift. - Zero
>> First ' proper ' snow started at about 4pm today here. Windy as well.
>> The road outside is white with about an inch or so...no traffic to clear it.
>>
>> Started just as I was embarking on a mile trek across the city retrieving cars
>> and putting them back where they should be. Should have got a taxi.
>>
>> By the time the tram got me home...standing all the way, no youngsters give you
>> their seat these days, it was cold enough to freeze a monkeys bum.
>>
>> Nice and white out of the window now...wonder what tomorrow will bring.

The rain to wash it away.

Friday last minute drift. - Fullchat
More shoveling :(

Friday last minute drift. - BobbyG
Reports on radio saying M6 really bad with snow and jack knifed lorries

Friday last minute drift. - Runfer D'Hills
>>Reports on radio saying M6 really bad with snow ...

It was, and so was the M8 and M74. I did 570 miles yesterday, Cheshire to Edinburgh, Glasgow and back. Fresh snow in many locations which isn't a worry if it's not frozen underneath, you can just push on with that stuff but typically enough once back south of the lakes they all started driving like twonks.

Merc did fine actually. Impressed at at how well it coped. Only managed to get it inadvertantly sideways a wee bit once and that was 100 yards from my house where snow had fallen on top of frozen snow. The other 569 miles it felt rock solid.

Friday last minute drift. - AshT
Snow's gone completely here, it's a balmy 6 degrees and there's blue sky. Visiting Mrs Ash's family later, and going fishing tonight.

Friday last minute drift. - legacylad
Began to snow here in upper Ribblesdale at 5pm yesterday, exactly as forecast. Had a few sherberts on the way home and main road closed to all but 4wd. Finished snowing at 3.30am (could not sleep). Dumped a good 6" where i live, but we now have hazy sun and an immediate thaw. A shame really as dog walking these past few weeks through frozen fields and over the tops to Malham has been very pleasureable.
Doubtless it will be back to the awful muddy conditions within the next few days.
Time to go skiing methinks..but not here!

Friday last minute drift. - Bromptonaut
We were forecast a heavy fall from 19:00 until small hours but only got a few wet flakes. To be fair to met office Northants was right on the southern edge of the probability line for snow.

This morning is bright and while the cars were frozen it's warming quickly.

Bike fettling today and off to Sheff to take stuff to Miss B tomorrow.

Friday last minute drift. - DP
After a night of heavy rain, we're down to a few resilient blobs of snow on the odd rooftop and patch of grass, but the white stuff has all but gone here too. It's bright outside, and feels positively tropical compared to recent temperatures.

I love freshly fallen snow, but after it turns to slush, or that dirty, brittle, frozen stuff that's been lying around for the past few days, I'm always glad to see the back of it.
Last edited by: DP on Sat 26 Jan 13 at 09:22

Friday last minute drift. - Manatee
Walked home from the other side of the village here in the vale of Aylesbury at midnight in a deluge, huge puddles everywhere augmented by the melt.

Friday last minute drift. - Clk Sec
You have a fine way with words, Manatee.

Friday last minute drift. - R.P.
Spring has sprung here - sun, little birdies singing.

>> Spring has sprung here - sun, little birdies singing.
>

Almost like that here. woke to the call of a Great Tit in next doors hedge.

Friday last minute drift. - madf
-2C overnight
15cms of snow.

Main roads gritted and ploughed and clear at 7am morning walk.

Drive cleared so we can exit (snowplough drifts), paths cleared ditto octogenarian neighbours' by 9.30am so breakfast.

Looks lovely in sun as it melts...

Friday last minute drift. - Clk Sec
Lovely sunny day here, but with heavy rain last night and freezing conditions earlier this morning, it's quite slippery under foot.

Keeping the car warm in the garage.

Friday last minute drift. - Zero
Fantastic dawn here this morning, up and out at sparrow fart, dog walk in the sun thisavo.

Friday last minute drift. - Dog
9° in Sunni Cornwall.

Friday last minute drift. - bathtub tom
>> woke to the call of a Great Tit in next doors hedge.

Not me, I didn't go to the pub last night.

Friday last minute drift. - smokie
Generated more solar power this morning than in the whole of the last week :-)

Friday last minute drift. - Fullchat
Me too once 4" of snow slid blissfully off the panels.

Friday last minute drift. - Pat
It would hel greatly if you would all give an approximate location.

I've never seen a place called 'here' and it sems there are so many of them around.....

Pat

Friday last minute drift. - -
Fullchat.

Many thanks for clarifying those two queries i raised in chapter 5 re the duty of insurance/police information following an injury RTA.

Been up to Yorkshire today, no problems as the customer had cleared and salted well the tipping area and approach road which is steep, but a fair 4" must have fell in places overnight.

Nasty accident Northbound M1 as i came back south near jct 29, some new looking expensive cars very well bashed scattered over a dew hundred yards and across all lanes.

Outside lane wasn't driveable with complete abandon even by early afternoon, though you could be forgiven for thinking it was a balmy summer afternoon the way some flew past in the heavy salt spray.

Drove to Sheffield and return on Sunday with lunch in Castleton.

Rain gone but only just and there were sections of heavy spray on the M1 from 16 all way to 33. Gusting cross wind too. Not immediately apparent at home but very evident further nortf. Steam from cooling towers at Ratcliffe PS was bieng scudded off towards east at a rate of knots. Imagine landing at East Midlands would have been a bumpy expereince.

Early enough for road to still be quiet.

Tinsley viaduct closed to high sided vehicles.

Sunny but, although well above freezing, the windchill made it too bitter to venture far. Nice pub lunch though. Ther were however plenty of hardy runners and cyclists around.

Huge quantities of meltwater coming off the moors - road awash in places and water spouting from drains into ditches. Truly spectacular.

Return was the usual Sunday night dash Motorway ever more crowded as it went south (along with Liverpool's cup hopes!). Glad to bale onto a deserted A5 at J18.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 29 Jan 13 at 14:03

Friday last minute drift. - Manatee
>>Return was the usual Sunday night dash Motorway ever more crowded as it went south (along with Liverpool's cup hopes!). Glad to bale onto a deserted A5 at J18.

Sounds familiar. Homebound on the M1 I usually plan to exit at 14 or 13 and almost never do - my patience with traffic runs out, or boredom dictates an earlier bale out to the A5.

In extremis that's onto the A42/M42, or M69. I usually start twitching at 18 if it's busy, then 16/15A/15 if I haven't jumped already. I much prefer the A5 even in its emasculated form now the suicide lane has gone! You could really make some progress in then, now people hoot at you for overtaking as if it's dangerous per se.
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 29 Jan 13 at 16:17

Junction 20 is another possibilty then via the 'Gloster/Whittle r/bout and A426 to the Gibbet Junction.

Or from NW J1 on M6 links to Gibbet Junction via A426 again bit this time heading east.

The suicide lane went about the time we moved to Northants. Remember just once seeing an MR2 or similar miss a head on by feet.

New pants for the Toyota driver!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 29 Jan 13 at 16:30

Friday last minute drift. - Roger.
We are thinking of a trip - localish for us - to the Peak District, possibly next Friday. We'll probably call in Matlock, Buxton and/or Bakewell: perhaps browse in an antique centre/shop or two and possibly lunch at the Ashford Arms ( Ashford -In-The-Water), Bakewell. It's a pub, with decent beer - Black Sheep on tap - but perhaps better known for its excellent food
SWMBO has got stir-crazy with the rubbish weather and needs a change of scenery!
It will double as a 44th wedding anniversary (1st Feb.) treat, too.
Brownie points. ;-)

Friday last minute drift. - madf
Lovely country but check for flooding first...

(we loved picnicking at Ashford)

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - VxFan
The name's Pond, James Pond

Oops!

tinyurl.com/aqezj5f - Daily Wail

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - Roger.
It's snowing quite heavily in N. Notts.

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - Zero
I am sure UKIP can fix that for you.

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - Dog
Had to use the Nokians in anger this morning up that blimmin hill, all's well now though.

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - Clk Sec
Their response may be somewhat flakey.

A snow job you mean?

>> I am sure UKIP can fix that for you.
>>

Oh dear - weak, very weak!
Would you rather have snow than high temperatures?
Here is what to expect !

On those hot, hot, muggy days of summer………
just in case you feel sorry for yourself on the 30+ degree days with humidity,

www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=xkk7DX0l95A&Lid=12

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - bathtub tom
I'm getting too old for this trialling lark:

tinyurl.com/bycdt6j

tinyurl.com/atbkw8d

I felt cold and wet today!

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - corax
There is some 'nice' weather being forecast for East Scotland this week. Better get your winter woolies on Old Navy :)

Really dangerous weather last night. Flight got into Gatport Airwick at 23:15, by the time luggage collection, Border Agency, HM Customs & Revenue and Car Park shuttle bus negotiated we are trying to open car doors at 00:30.

Trying being the operative word.

Clearly its rained heavily fairly recently, and even more recently the temperature has dropped very rapidly. The car is covered in thin sheets of ice, glittering like slabs of thin multicoloured crazy paving in the oblique sodium car park lighting.
Wipers frozen to screen, doors frozen to seals, door handles frozen immobile with a serrated ice bead edge on the bottom.

After finally getting in the car and the windows clear, we hit the M23 north. Fine for a few miles and then spread out patches of fog appear, immediately preceding each fog patch is about 50 yards of black ice, the real deal, the first one being signified by that sudden drop in tyre noise, the lightness in steering, the bum twitching feel of the first touch of car movement other than forward. Lightness of touch, judicious speed, and an new awareness of whats going on with respect to warm spots and frost hollow boundaries gets us home at 01:45.

"Gritting in Progress" signs illuminated all over the place on the M23/M25, not a single sign of gritter or grit tho. If they can decide to display" Dont Drink and Drive" on the overheads at various times, I am sure its not beyond the skills of the blank boneheaded HA dimwits at Godstone control to spell out the words "Black Ice"

And it was -1 at home. It was 24c when I left Marrakech. Not happy, grumble grumble.

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - VxFan
>> Clearly its rained heavily fairly recently

3" or more of snow fell in parts of Berkshire & Oxfordshire between 8am and 11am yesterday. Had to do a double take when I woke up and looked out the window. Thought we'd seen the last of the white stuff. Severe frost last night turned the melted snow into a skid pan.

Aw shucks - here in NE Notts/South Yorks borders it's dry, not frosty overnight, but now overcast. 2C, according to the localised weather gadget on the laptop.

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - Runfer D'Hills
Glad you're safe home Z. I use Gatwick and Heathrow quite often. Not that either are especially handy for where I live but they do have a far greater choice of flights at reasonable prices and times than most Northern airports. Often I'm looking to travel very early in the morning and usually returning in the wee small hours so I can sympathise with returning to a snow covered or frozen car. Just what you don't need when you're knackered from a trip and in my case facing a 3 to 3.5 hour drive on top.

I've found that for up to a week it can be just about ok pricewise to use the short term multi-storey car parks if you book them in advance. It's not as dear as you might imagine if you pre-book it a couple of weeks before and of course the car is under cover and just a short walk from arrivals.

I sort of take the view that as a function of the total cost of a trip that if it costs a few quid more to park somewhere handy in those circumstances ( and not just on expensed trips either ) then it's probably worth it, especially in winter.

Just my tuppence worth of course !

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Mon 18 Mar 13 at 10:36

Checked the price, short term pre booked was near on 80 quid, long term on airport was 45 quid.

35 quid is three litres of duty free gin!! I can suffer a little ice.

Guess you could put it in the gin if nothing else.

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - Bromptonaut
>> Guess you could put it in the gin if nothing else.

He had to use the gin to thaw the door seal.

Unless he used the other method.........

>>Unless he used the other method.........

Heh heh ! Done that before now when we lived up a hill in Scotland, top tip though is not to take too long about it when it's -15C...

Might not be quite as acceptable in a car park at Gatwick mind !

>> >>Unless he used the other method.........
>>
>> Heh heh ! Done that before now when we lived up a hill in Scotland,
>> top tip though is not to take too long about it when it's -15C...
>>
>> Might not be quite as acceptable in a car park at Gatwick mind !
>
I was contemplating it, but not being that cold, I used a method someone else taught me.

Drop your trousers, and lean your bum in your underpants on the door handle. three minutes was all it took.

not sure which is better tho, wet hand or cold bum.

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - Crankcase
Do we pass the mind bleach to the left or right in this forum?
Aw hey now ! Someone must be able to get hold of the CCTV footage of that !

:-))

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - sooty123
>> Checked the price, short term pre booked was near on 80 quid, long term on
>> airport was 45 quid.
>>
>> 35 quid is three litres of duty free gin!! I can suffer a little ice.
>>
>>

What did you bring back? I picked up some Tanqueray rangpur 750ml for £14. Not had it before so looking forward to trying it, wonder if it's better than the normal stuff?

>> What did you bring back? I picked up some Tanqueray rangpur 750ml for £14. Not
>> had it before so looking forward to trying it, wonder if it's better than the
>> normal stuff?

Nothing exciting, two litres of Gordons Export strength (47%) for 20 quid.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 19 Mar 13 at 01:21

>> 3" or more of snow fell in parts of Berkshire & Oxfordshire between 8am and
>> 11am yesterday. Had to do a double take when I woke up and looked out
>> the window. Thought we'd seen the last of the white stuff. Severe frost last night
>> turned the melted snow into a skid pan.

Same fall in Northants. Forecast was heavy rain but given the temperature snow was clearly a possibility. Mahousive flakes at first then fined down a bit. Decided against the usual Sunday outing to Daventry for the week's shopping. No point in adding to the chaos.

By 13:00 the temperature was +4C and a rapid thaw ensued. Pretty much all gone by nightfall. Heavy overnight frost meant a few ice/slush patches where water was flowing off fields but pretty benign on the whole.

Judging from what I hear on my return it seems we were lucky to get away last Monday. Flight out was mid afternoon, light snow was falling on the M23 on way to Airport. When flight departed heavy snow was falling and plane had to be routed via a de-icing station prior to take off, and the runway snow clearing conga line was assembling at runways edge. I now hear the M23 was shut some time after we took off.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 18 Mar 13 at 11:11

Seems like chaos around Bedford this morning. Heavy rain yesterday and overnight freezing fog. I suppose running water washed away any grit resulting in A421, A6 being closed. Further accidents on the M1 and around Milton Keynes.

Glad I was in bed listening to it on the wireless.

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - Focusless
Ended up walking 4+ miles from Earley to Reading station this morning as the Reading-Waterloo line (3rd rail system) was shot due to ice.

Lots of white stuff on the fields between Didcot and Swindon.

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - Alanovich
Number 17, Focusless?

>> Number 17, Focusless?

1. It costs money :)
2. Actually I did consider it briefly but AFAIK you need the correct change for the buses, and I don't usually carry any (stops me spending it!).
3. I'm not running at the moment so it was nice to get a bit of extra exercise.
4. It meant I couldn't catch the 7:42 Cardiff train and had to get the 7:57 Bristol service, meaning I didn't have to change at Swindon.

Pity it doesn't happen more often :)

>> AFAIK you need the correct change for
>> the buses

True, you do on Reading Buses. Drives me to distraction as an occasional user.

Having said that I think my best option would probably have been the 500(?) which has a stop opposite the station on the A329, and is run by FGW. Don't know if they allow cards, but by then I was looking forward to the walk (before it started raining).

EDIT: might be the 190
Last edited by: Focusless on Mon 18 Mar 13 at 13:46

Yes, the 190 is the bus which goes to Bracknell eventually. 500 is the Park & Ride bus from Loddon Bridge, think it goes down the A3290 to Suttons Seeds.

Dunno if it was the same with you, but when I went out to the car this morning it had that unusual coating of frozen rain on it, and it was still chucking precipitation of some kind at me. Wouldn't have fancied the 4 mile walk myself! How were the pavements?

>>AFAIK you need the correct change for the buses

You mean there's folk here too young for a bus pass?

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - Stuartli
Something of interest for those experiencing snow in the south (!):

tinyurl.com/am8my8w

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - Ted

Nice, sunny, spring day here in Arcadia. Just a little easterly frisson of wind to chill things a bit.

Took my daily walk as far as the village centre to the bank, stopped for a coffee on the way back then caught the tram past the back of my house so I could approach from the other end of the road and make the neighbours think I'd walked miles ! Called on a neighbour when nearly home and blagged another coffee.

Thought Spring had sprung but it's dulled up a bit now.

Ted

>> Something of interest for those experiencing snow in the south (!):
>>
>> tinyurl.com/am8my8w

A Mail report of the 'warming's all a con variety'.

Its' a graph showing temperatures varying but with each peak higher than the last. At the moment it's going down slightly but nowhere near enough to be the 'Proof its all Con' language of the article

Usual Mail stuff, a bit of distorted fact with a liberal gloss of journalistic hyperbole and quotes from usual suspects.

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - legacylad
Looks like Im returning to cool temps and some sleet in not so sunny N Yorks. Early morning here in Sacramento, just finished my Eggs Benedict at the airport grill and waiting for my 3 flights north, then east, then NW ish.
Another cloudless day, already about 60 with a high of just under 80 yesterday. Mind you a big storm coming in off the Pacific tomorrow with 24" of snow expected in the Sierras. Blast. Thats exactly what I came here for!
Wonder if my local will be serving fish tacos and margeritas tomorrow night. probably not but the fire will be roaring and I can have a few pints of best bitter and play darts and doms. Providing my car has not frozen solid after 16 days.

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - PhilW
"A Mail report of the 'warming's all a con variety'.
Usual Mail stuff, a bit of distorted fact with a liberal gloss of journalistic hyperbole and quotes from usual suspects"

Really? Did you read the article?
"The line showing world temperatures comes from the Met Office ‘HadCRUT4’ database, which contains readings from more than 30,000 measuring posts. This was added to the 75 and 95 per cent certainty bands to produce the graph by a group that amalgamates the work of 20 climate model centres working for the IPCC".

"usual suspects?"
Myles Allen, Oxford University’s Professor of Geosystem Science
Piers Forster, Climate Change Professor at Leeds University,
Professor Judith Curry, head of climate science at the prestigious Georgia Institute of Technology
James Annan, of Frontier Research For Global Change, a prominent ‘warmist’, recently said high estimates for climate sensitivity now look ‘increasingly untenable’, with the true figure likely to be about half of the IPCC prediction in its last report in 2007.

See also discussions here
bishophill.squarespace.com/
>> Dunno if it was the same with you, but when I went out to the
>> car this morning

Now you're just being cruel :)

>> Wouldn't have fancied the 4 mile walk myself! How were the pavements?

Neither would I every day, but it was ok as a one-off - would have been nice without the rain. Pavements mostly ok, just the odd slippery bit. Very glad I wasn't on 2 wheels.

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - R.P.
Been bad on the mainland (nawt on the island) - SOme stupid people went up Snowdon risking quite a number of not so stupid lives when they got stuck. If you see the MRT boxes when you're up here over the Easter hols and beyond, pop a couple of quid in them.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T6RLu-LwRZM

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - rtj70
I saw that video via the Telegraph site earlier - what stars/heroes they are. And after the rescue had to walk back down the mountain and not able to ride in the rescue helicopter.

It show how those equipped (and in that I include clothing) right can function and those that aren't suffer.

We got told of someone we know who was in Scotland recently and got into difficulty. Experienced and all that. Found by luck and rescued. Totally lost and beyond saving themselves in the end.

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - Old Navy
I was taught to ski by the Army, two thirds of the course was "How to ski" the other third was mountain safety, including avalanche training, frostbite awareness, cold weather survival, ski maintenance, and even ski etiquette, (a lot of which is safety related).

I have seen a woman on a (small) hill in high heels and with a child in a pushchair, on a path where trainers would be unsuitable footwear. (The weather was good)

If the well prepared can be caught out many must be very lucky.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 23 Mar 13 at 08:53

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - BobbyG
So the Isle of Arran has been without electricity for two days now.
How would you cope witnout electricity for 48 to72 hours?

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - Meldrew
They have brought in several mobile generators but what services will run off them is not clear. Presumably a fault on the mainland or the presumably undersea cable that normally supplys the island

Did our routine 80 mile round trip down the A55 yesterday - dry, dull and cold here as we progressed east it slowly became progressively more snowy - from a light dusting to a good couple of inches at the in-laws. Had we gone further east we would have encountered between
13 and 19 inches of snow just a few miles down the road - there was a "wind event" in one coastal village - reported as a typhoon on FB, trees down things blown over. GS was due a service yesterday in Chester cancelled on dealer advice....blowing a bit here this morning, but the sun is peeking out here.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 24 Mar 13 at 08:51

Where we used to live power cuts were routine. Not unusual to go 72 hours but the worst was ten days. You just sort of got used to it and had alternative means of heating, cooking and lighting.

I still have all the kit in the garage, camping stoves, gas bottles, tilley lamps and calor gas heaters. We'd be alright for a bit.

Snowing here now a little. Nothing much. Still loading the bikes on to the car this morning though. Be alright in the forest. Got some super-sticky tyres on the bikes at this time of year anyway. Got to be done...

:-)

I remember Tilley lamps from my camping days. Gave out lots of light and considerable heat too, very dual purpose!

-2C in Stamford and a lot of of powdery drifted snow, 2 ins deep here and a foot there. Haven't been out in the car but I guess the A roads and main routes will be OK. Don't plan to find out! New series of Foyles War starts this evening which will will suit me well - love the twitching Michael Kitchen.

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - madf
All my PCs have UPS due to occasional blackouts due to faulty mains earth cabling in area.. MEB mid 1970s

Gas heater (butane) , gas cooker, candles, hot water bottles, electric torches..

Worst was 2 days about 7 years ago.

Blankets for the deep freeze.

Car keys, credit card, hotel.

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - Fullchat
Which also has no power :O

>>Car keys, credit card, hotel.

That's cheating !

You know what I really miss most living now in Nice Street, Nicetown, Nowhereshire is chopping logs.

Don't even have decent axe anymore. A man should have an axe.

I want to be a lumberjack.

Well, I have an axe....I hav some trees that need er.."re-configuring" - if you fancy a trip to the Island.

I've just got a bit excited...

>> Don't even have decent axe anymore. A man should have an axe.

Crap.

A man should have a big eff off petrol driven chain saw. The noisier and smokier the better.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 24 Mar 13 at 10:10

Agreed Zero - we were misled on global warming an we need to make amends

Oh yes granted, but you still have to have an axe. It's important to have an axe.

>> Oh yes granted, but you still have to have an axe. It's important to have
>> an axe.

Yes but just for the joy of sharpening it, and hanging it on your belt. The Texas Axe Massacre does not quite have the same ring.

Couldn't have hung my axe on your belt, well not without listing to starboard anyway. Proper axe that was. Scotsman's axe y'know. Real deal, not some poncy Surrey job.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 24 Mar 13 at 10:24

>> Couldn't have hung my axe on your belt, well not without listing to starboard anyway.
>> Proper axe that was. Scotsman's axe y'know. Real deal, not some poncy Surrey job.

Hey, We can afford tools for the job down here. I suppose you hade a scythe as well, whereas we can afford lawn mowers.

>>we can afford lawn mowers.

aka "Lancers" ?

:-)

Humph said: "I want to be a lumberjack."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZa26_esLBE

Sorry Humph. If I hadn't done it I'm sure someone else would.

;>)

He'll need some blue lights on the front of the GLEC.

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - BobbyG
Well if we got snowed in with no leccy, I have my wood burning stove and nuge quantities of wood.
That would be good enough for cooking on and givjng some heat. Any rechargeable electrical items could be charged from car cig lighter.

And yes Humph, have 2 sizes of axe and neighbour has chainsaw!

+5° in Sunni Cornwall.

^_^

That's what the thermometer says - just been out with the dogs - wind chill makes it feel far below zero - weak sun is doing the thermal dynamics stuff in the house as warm air circulating from the conservatory..

We got weak snow here. Was out and about early yesterday. 5am run up the M40, hairy in parts I had a schedule to meet so had to rough it past the trucks in the uncleared lanes from time to time, but being fresh snow it was just a wee bit twitchy, and slapping on nice new tyres on front was clearly the sensible thing to have done.

Big white out coming down the M5, so a stop off for a full english was clearly another bright move on my part! Was mostly dry down in Bristol way, where I have found the most god awful place on the face of the earth in a cold wind. Severn Beach.

Weather Thread - Vol 6 - Robin O'Reliant
We've had two light dustings all winter here, nothing this latest spell.

Only nutters carry an axe. A real man should have a Bowie knife, a set of handcuffs and a gag.
 Weather Thread - Vol 6 - Armel Coussine
>> A real man should have a Bowie knife, a set of handcuffs and a gag.

And the rest RR. The .375 magnum in the rear waistband, the brass knuckles and two-shot .45 Derringer in the waistcoat fob pockets, the throwaway Saturday night special .32 revolver down the right boot, a couple of switchblades... every man his own aircraft carrier so to speak.
 Weather Thread - Vol 6 - corax
>> A real man should have a set
>> of handcuffs and a gag.

I don't really want to know about your private life thank you :)

No wind down ere, well, about 10 MPH or so, I was out with the dogs at 7.30am, well, me and Milo that is :)

Its 0.5 degrees, windy and snowing here. Dog walk? no chance.

Kicked the dogs out a few minutes ago - Springer going crazy in the garden with a stick the Cocker came back indoors after the essentials...more sense.horrid wind here today.....

Latest Forum Posts