Non-motoring > Weather Thread - Volume 7   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 100

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 8 *****

More weather related tales/observations.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 3 Feb 14 at 01:43

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - Dog
www.expatforum.com/expats/la-tasca/147713-all-those-stuck-uk.html

:)

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - madf
My nuts are nice and warm and hibernating...

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - Roger.
In a fur lined jock-strap?

Central heating here... none of that caveman stuff.

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - BobbyG
How to clear snow on the railway line........

twitpic.com/cebryl

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - Robin O'Reliant
There's always someone enterprising enough to make money out of any situation -

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6Ft-Snowman-requires-assembly-/300879924126
 Weather Thread - Volume 7 - legacylad
After leaving my CA friends in mid 70s temps a week ago, they have now finished teaching for the Easter hols. Within 2 hours of breaking up they flew down to Scottsdale AZ to watch the Giants in their Spring Training programme.
A succession of daily games against other major league teams, sat under cloudless skies with temps currently in the mid 80s.
Annoyingly i keep receiving vids sent from her IPhone.
Pah.

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - Boxsterboy
I pity those in blocks of flats with communal heating boilers that turn off the heating come April.

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - smokie
Just back from Florida - on the day I left there was heavy snow at Gatwick and it was worse the following day, and it seems that it's been bad ever since, but now warming a bit for my return - good timing I'd say!! :-)

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - DP
It felt quite spring-like when I got to work at around 8:15 this morning. Deep blue sky, a pleasant mown grass scent in the air, and in the sunshine at least, temperatures that actually made the prospect of undoing a coat button feel like it might not lead to a case of hypothermia.

Two hours later, it was grey again.

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - CGNorwich
"but now warming a bit for my return "

have you seen the forecast?

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - sooty123
I can vouch for the good weather out in the SW of America, very nice, lovely and sunny. Not worn a jacket in weeks even on a night. Was a shock to come back to the UK freezing cold snowing, still as cold as when I left at the beginning of the year.

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - legacylad
Just recd another Iphone vid from my friends in Phoenix. Mid 80s, increasing to 90s this weekend.Poor darlings are having to add extra ice to their margeritas as they sit in the hotels 'cool tub'.
Meanwhile, I'm putting out clean thermals ready to wear for work this weekend.

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - R.P.
We'll be in Arizona in a month. Can't wait. We trundled down the A55 yesterday to meet th in-laws for a meal - we were shocked at the snow drifts on one leg of the journey. It's spring here.

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - Bromptonaut
>> We'll be in Arizona in a month. Can't wait. We trundled down the A55 yesterday
>> to meet th in-laws for a meal - we were shocked at the snow drifts
>> on one leg of the journey. It's spring here.

Ditto re drifts round here. Went through lanes to A5 and Towcester yesterday. Exposed area on what passes for a hilltop hereabouts drifts still three feet deep against hedge.

Further down there's long deep puddle. Spray from passing cars has formed huge 'organ pipe' icicles on the roadside vegetation.

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - Meldrew
+6C in rural Rutland but the depth of the snow ploughed and shovelled off the roads makes me think it will take at least 10 days to disappear completely

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - Zero
There was a couple of back roads still blocked on Wednesday when I passed through.

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - Roger.
After a decent day, mostly sunny, it's perishingly well snowing again - not much, but still white stuff.
Eeeeugh!
Enough already.

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - Cliff Pope
It's been a lovely sunny day here. Planning a barbecue for tomorrow.
I hope the coldwave lasts. :)

Been -2 to -6C overnight for 2 weeks now.
Snow drifts everywhere... looks like someone has taken a large pot of white paint and painted all round the edges of the fields.

Still snow in garden.

Bees do NOT like it - hardly seen them this year.. this time last year we had hives going great guns.. this year nothing.

Went beekeeping to Leek last week to feed bees - ended up pushing a Transit panel van out of a drift on a country road...

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - R.P.
That essential bikers' bit of kit, a min/max thermometer has been deployed for some days now - low last night was -1.5 - high today of 7 - not much change this week according to weather guy. It'll rain in Saturday as I've got a 200 mile bike ride to do.

I went out on my pony (Shanks') today for a route march, blimmin cold SE wind in my face, plenty of vehicles heading for the eden project, may help to pay orf the £5m debt!

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - Harleyman
Two headlines on the BBC website.

1) Coldest Easter for .......

2) Why is Easter so early this year?

Anyone made the connection yet? All this blimmin fuss about snow at Easter, every damn month it's an "estest est" since records began. The only extremes are in media reporting; I swear there was much less fuss made when we relied on two TV channels, the Light Programme and and a daily paper to keep us informed of world events.

Rant over.

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - Duncan
>> Two headlines on the BBC website.
>>
>> 1) Coldest Easter for .......
>>
>> 2) Why is Easter so early this year?
>>

Link to Wiki.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter

I Blame the church.

Snow at Easter is certainly not that unusual. However what is unusual is the length and nature of the current cold spell with its low temperatures and biting easterly winds . If you are a gardener or a farmer you will realise how late the arrival of Spring is compared with most other years. I would think we are around two weeks behind here in Norfolk.

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - Zero

>> I would think we are around
>> two weeks behind here in Norfolk.

Yeah, but is being behind in Norfolk unusual?

No - that's what makes it a pleasant place to live.

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - corax
>> the current cold spell with its low temperatures and biting easterly winds.

I don't know how you've been coping with that wind. It's bad enough here in Essex. Norfolk must be one of the worst affected places, and it's still forecast for this week, although hopefully the sun will be out. The plants are looking a bit down at heel now.

Yes , the wind is probably the worst thing about this cold spell. Was up at Cromer yesterday and took a walk down the pier. Bracing was the word.

Going to be cold all week with Thursday being particularly windy apparently. Last time I looked Moscow had a better forecast!

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - -
Not to worry, those wind turbine artistic monuments might almost be covering their costs if the wind keeps up for another 40 years.

Toying with putting me summer wheels back on this weekend, that should guarantee another blizzard.

Cold wev is due to the Jetstream being upperty, Briton is on a similar thingamajig (latitude?) to Labrador Retriever in Canada and it's the VW Golf stream that usually warms this sceptred Isle.

= = = > weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/nl-24_metric_e.html

Better get used to being frozen beings, or buy a horse.

^_^

Forecast here:
Biddulph, Staffordshire, England, United Kingdom
Mon 1 Apr BST
Wind Avg. Gust Temp. Rain Weather Cloud Visibility Pressure
13:00

E 16 mph to 22 mph 4 C 0 mm

42% 18100 m 1014 mb
16:00

E 16 mph to 23 mph 5 C 0 mm

27% 15900 m 1013 mb
19:00

E 12 mph to 22 mph 1 C 0 mm

0% 16600 m 1014 mb
22:00

ENE 10 mph to 28 mph -3 C 0 mm

0% 20000 m 1016 mb
Tue 2 Apr BST
Wind Avg. Gust Temp. Rain Weather Cloud Visibility Pressure
01:00

ENE 9 mph to 24 mph -4 C 0 mm

1% 19900 m 1016 mb
04:00

ENE 9 mph to 22 mph -3 C 0 mm

1% 17500 m 1016 mb
07:00

ENE 8 mph to 18 mph -3 C 0 mm

12% 16800 m 1017 mb
10:00

ENE 13 mph to 18 mph 4 C 0.1 mm

36% 16300 m 1017 mb
13:00

ENE 13 mph to 17 mph 6 C 0.1 mm

32% 15500 m 1018 mb
16:00

ENE 13 mph to 16 mph 7 C 0 mm

21% 16600 m 1018 mb
19:00

ENE 9 mph to 20 mph 3 C 0 mm

0% 16600 m 1019 mb
22:00

ENE 8 mph to 17 mph -3 C 0 mm

0% 20000 m 1022 mb
Wed 3 Apr BST

And this the wev where I used to live:

wetter.micanarias.com/webcam/land_Spanien/provinz_Teneriffa/ort_/webcamid_61/webcam.html?pid=3773688074

Big miss steak this morning, China Clay dust on windscreen, external temp. gauge was showing +3°,
so I washed the windscreen ... and it promptly froze up!

External temperature gauge registers air temperature. That's not windscreen temperature nor incidentally road temperature, so not a very reliable guide to likelihood of a frozen windscreen nor of an icy road.

The sensor for my external temperature gauge is just outside my window, so I put it over by where the car was, and it now reads +1° which is a tad different.

Still puzzled of Cornwall though because a bucket of water nearby was ice free :}

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - Bromptonaut
>> The sensor for my external temperature gauge is just outside my window, so I put
>> it over by where the car was, and it now reads +1° which is a
>> tad different.
>>
>> Still puzzled of Cornwall though because a bucket of water nearby was ice free :}

A thin layer of water on a cold screen will freeze very quickly whereas a mass in a bucket takes much longer to give up heat, even to the extent of getting a thin layer on top.

>>A thin layer of water on a cold screen will freeze very quickly whereas a mass in a bucket takes much longer to give up heat

Aye, that did occur to me just now, I would have used the washers/wipers but I didn't want the C/clay dust scratching the windscreen :)

Weather Thread - Volume 7 - L'escargot
>> External temperature gauge registers air temperature. That's not windscreen temperature nor incidentally road temperature, so
>> not a very reliable guide to likelihood of a frozen windscreen nor of an icy
>> road.
>>

If the air temperature is constant for long enough, and the road and the car are in the shade, the road temperature and windscreen temperature should be the same as the air temperature.

"If the air temperature is constant for long enough, and the road and the car are in the shade, the road temperature and windscreen temperature should be the same as the air temperature."

Theoretically : yes.

Practically: no

Just think of the thermal mass of the road versus the car's windscreen and the air..

It's all to do with radiation. You get a frost on the road and on windscreens on a cool dark night because they are radiating their heat into outer space. If the conditions stay the same the temperatures will never equalise, because the air immediately above the surface will simply be replaced by fresh.
During the day they will slowly warm up, and in bright sun the road may end up hotter than the air, again because of radiation but in the opposite direction this time. In the shade ice on the road can stay frozen all day, even though the air may be much warmer.

Thunder and Lightning - Bromptonaut
Odd weather today?

Forecast was for an Atlantic system crossing over with best of day gone early and then a longish period of rain.

In fact by 11:00 it was clear, sunny and almost Spring like, albeit with with a modest westerly breeze. Got out on the tourer and did ten or so miles other side of the A5. An effort outbound but a well fast return leg with the breeze on my back.

Then from lunchtime onward it got windier and then darker. By three, as we set out on domestic errands it was spotting with rain. Not a mile out of the village before it was torrential and accompanied by much lighting, thunder and wind turned to violent squall.

Parked at Sainsburys and wind whipped older Berlingo's door out of Mrs B's hand against a fortunately already battle scarred R reg Polo. A few choice words were said by yours truly about risk of such an incident being obvious....

Apparently I'm a sanctimonious b******!!

Half an hour later we were back in sunshine.

Now was it down your way?

Thunder and Lightning - Runfer D'Hills
Son and I went mountain biking late morning into early afternoon today in a forest about 20 miles from here. Beautiful weather. Calm with patchy sunshine. Pretty gloopy on the trails. You can tell there has been a lot of rain in recent times. We returned to the car about 1.30 and sat on the back step of it ( estate car ) and had our picnic lunch. In the time it took to do that and chuck the bikes on the roof the weather had changed dramatically.

The wind got up, thunder and lightning came in followed first by heavy rain then sleet then snow showers.

Enough white stuff fell to cover the roads for a while and on the way home a couple of cars had slithered off on the temporarily slippy surface.

The E class felt solid as a rock in those conditions once again though, which apparently it's not supposed to being RWD, auto and having wide low profile "summer" tyres. It was fine. Just needed to be aware of the conditions and take it a little bit easier than normal was all.

Just wet now. Horrible in fact. I hate the winters here. Not consisently cold enough to be called a proper winter but regularly miserable enough to be mind numbingly depressing.

Thunder and Lightning - sherlock47
M25 north - Very violent wind and squalls at about 16.30 - seemed to come from nowhere, lasted about 20 minutes. No T&L.

I looked at the planes on FR24 and there seemed to be some longish holding patterns and at least 1 missed approach. Strange weather?
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sat 25 Jan 14 at 19:23

Thunder and Lightning - Skip
Same here in North Kent, heavy rain, thunder and lightening plus strong wind came from nowhere very quickly at about 5 o'clock

Thunder and Lightning - Roger.
North Notts: Nice until about 3pm and then las tormentas.

Thunder and Lightning - Manatee
>> M25 north - Very violent wind and squalls at about 16.30 - seemed to come
>> from nowhere, lasted about 20 minutes. No T&L.

Perfect description - being 20 miles west of you, we had that a bit earlier. No thunder or lightning but very loud and gusty wind, and almost horizontal rain.

Thunder and Lightning - Dog
Okay in Cornwall today, apart from the wind, I've not lit the fire for a couple of days as I'm saving it for next week when we get the Easterlies ... only got 20 bags of anthracite left - and I am not buying any more!

Thunder and Lightning - Westpig
Nice day. Sun and mild for time of year. Occasional spit of rain.

Thunder and Lightning - Dave_
Took the lad to visit his mum's family in NW Leics today. About 2 30pm we got the storm - hail, thunder & lightning, snow, wind. Came out to the car at the tail end of it, had to skip across rivers of water streaming down the road. Temperature dropped from 10ºC to 3ºC in about 10 minutes.
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Sat 25 Jan 14 at 20:35

Thunder and Lightning - Zero
The Storm arrived here at 16;00 ish. I was on Epsom Downs before that and could see it coming, and ended up driving in it. So much wind driven rain and hail the traffic had to stop because visibility dropped to zero. Arrived home, son opened front door of house and a huge wedge of hail trapped against the door (that he didn't know was there) fell into the hall.

A sort of "Hail, fellow - well met" moment, then!

Using todays vernacular, More like "Hail fella, well wet".
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 25 Jan 14 at 22:22

Thunder and Lightning - henry k
>>.... Arrived home, son opened front door of house and a huge wedge of hail trapped against the door (that he didn't know was there) fell into the hall.
>>
You missed the worst - locally

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25902371

Raining cats and...

Thunder and Lightning - Haywain
Yep, that same lot kept us in Morrisons (Coalville) for 10 minutes 'til it subsided.

Thunder and Lightning - Duncan
I was at The Harlequins v Leicester rugby game at The Stoop, Twickenham today. about 4.30 the weather deteriorated seriously. The rain was coming down in torrents. there was a great crack of thunder and something akin to a mini tornado struck the North end of the ground.

Scaffold boards were being blown down from the roof of the control tower, advertising hoardings about 8 feet by 3 feet were being blown onto the pitch. The referee abandoned* the game with 9 minutes to go. Harlequins won 20 points to 6.

* Strictly speaking, I think it would be classified as stopped, rather than abandoned, the result stands.

Thunder and Lightning - Dave_
>> that same lot kept us in Morrisons (Coalville) for 10 minutes 'til it subsided

We must have just missed you, Haywain. Immediately prior to leaving we were standing in the lad's great gran's newly fixed conservatory in Hugglescote, observing how the weather doesn't come in now like it did in August.
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Sat 25 Jan 14 at 23:35

>> Yep, that same lot kept us in Morrisons (Coalville) for 10 minutes 'til it subsided.
>>

That counts as "cruel and unusual punishment", under the 'Uman Rites Act, dunnit?

Thunder and Lightning - bathtub tom
Damn!

Looked out this morning to see part of my shed roof felt's missing.

It's due to hiss it down.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 27 Jan 14 at 12:43

Not sure what's going on here. Just been told that the road half a mile south is closed, flooded, and a lane half a mile away in the other direction is 6" deep in water.

Sustained heavy rain usually floods the field behind us and part of our garden, but there's no sign of that this morning. Either something has gone wrong with the drainage or there's been some very local weather.

Parts of the village are prone to flooding, which mainly affects houses below the current street level.

The Environment Agency only seem concerned with the big stuff, and the drainage ditches are mainly the responsibility of the county Highways Dept.

High rainfall or ground water also gets into the foul drains by various means and floods the sewage system which is down to the water authority AFAIK, and a pump designed to lift sewage from 10 or 20 houses (not mine fortunately) ends up trying to drain half of Aylesbury Vale with unhappy results.

Between the authorities it's hard to get anything much done, other than the LA distributing sandbag kits. Joined up, it isn't.

A pal of mine who knows about these things has found an old sluice, now seized, which he thinks was once used to manage the water levels in the village by shunting a stream into some meadows, and was probably attended to either by local farmers or the old, much smaller local authorities before the reorganisation of the 1970s. The big authorities aren't much interested in this sort of information - imagine trying to get this across to the call centre. There are a couple of councillors on the case.

Digressed. Sorry.

Thunder and Lightning - R.P.
Missed this yesterday...busy. Toss up between hoovering/mopping the tiles and taking the dogs for a run in the woods...I decided to be househusband. Lovely when Mrs RP set out - then the thunder came, rain and hail. She was caught in the middle of it. COuld have been me of course.

Thunder and Lightning - Fullchat
East Yorks. About 3pm came over all dark and then threw it down couple of really loud bangs of thunder and flashes of lightning overhead and then everything subsided after and hour.
Sunday is just sleeting, windy and 'orrible.

Thunder and Lightning - CGNorwich
Strangely enough in light of the floods elsewhere it has not been a particularly wet winter in Norfolk. In fact December rainfall in Buxton was only 87% of average and January, whilst wetter, is at 107% of average to date. It looks like we are in for a soaking today though.

Very mild winter though. Gas consumption is way down on last year

>> Strangely enough in light of the floods elsewhere it has not been a particularly wet
>> winter in Norfolk. In fact December rainfall in Buxton was only 87% of average

Double take there. The Buxton near Coltishall, with a halt on the railway? Done a walk from there a couple of times.

>> >> Strangely enough in light of the floods elsewhere it has not been a particularly
>> wet
>> >> winter in Norfolk. In fact December rainfall in Buxton was only 87% of average
>>
>> Double take there. The Buxton near Coltishall, with a halt on the railway? Done a
>> walk from there a couple of times.
>>

Me too - the only Buxton I knew of is in the Derbyshire Peaks!

Me too - the only Buxton I knew of is in the Derbyshire Peaks!

You've got to get out more Roger. :-)

Yep that Buxton. Not the one with the Opera House and the Pavilion gardens.

I've got to get the ferry to Belfast later tonight...

To be windy apparently. Not worried about my stomach, that seems to be pretty cast iron but I am concerned about potential delays.

:-(
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 26 Jan 14 at 11:40

Thunder and Lightning - BiggerBadderDave
"I've got to get the ferry to Belfast"

Sounds windy. Wear a nice warm balaclava.
Thanks for the tip Dave, but I think I'll pass on that one !

;-)

Thunder and Lightning - helicopter
I was inside at a meeting in Croydon , unaware of the weather outside and just after 5 pm we heard literally dozens of police , ambulance and fire brigade sirens.......

There was a ten minute storm which caused a crane collapse less than 100 metres from us....

www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Crane-snaps-IYLO-building-site/story-20500708-detail/story.html

>> Not sure what's going on here. Just been told that the road half a mile
>> south is closed, flooded, and a lane half a mile away in the other direction
>> is 6" deep in water.
>>
>> Sustained heavy rain usually floods the field behind us and part of our garden, but
>> there's no sign of that this morning. Either something has gone wrong with the drainage
>> or there's been some very local weather.

An explanation has been found.

Near here are the reservoirs that provide the water supply for the Grand Union canal at Tring summit. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tring_Reservoirs

The largest, Wilstone reservoir, apparently needed some water letting out. So it was. Presumably this was to prevent some unplanned flooding.

This probably happens a lot - some areas will in effect be 'sacrificed' to prevent worse floods or rivers overtopping elsewhere.

Thunder and Lightning - Alanovich
Nah. God did it. What have you lot been up to round there?
 Thunder and Lightning - bathtub tom
Another squall this afternoon took some more felt. I'm not replacing it in this weather.

The charcoal I bought last year that's stored in there'll be a sod to light.

Thunder and Lightning - swiss tony
>> Another squall this afternoon took some more felt. I'm not replacing it in this weather.
>>
>> The charcoal I bought last year that's stored in there'll be a sod to light.
>>

How about covering the charcoal with plastic (bin bags?)
Or is it too late?

>> Damn!
>>
>> Looked out this morning to see part of my shed roof felt's missing.

Fence panel down here in Reading, went over during some serious gusts on Saturday afternoon. New fence, only been up since last summer. Bah.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 27 Jan 14 at 12:44

Apparently in Chobham the local hurricane (for that is what it was described as by the locals) picked up some feral cats and chucked them around.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 29 Jul 18 at 19:58

Bloke in my office says he saw a tornado in Lightwater. Knew there was a reason never to cross that border.

>> Bloke in my office says he saw a tornado in Lightwater. Knew there was a
>> reason never to cross that border.

Just as well, we are not keen on northerners.

>>in Chobham the local hurricane) picked up some feral cats and chucked them around.

Maybe Jehovah doesn't like cats as well as same-sex marriage.

Thunder and Lightning - Kevin
>Fence panel down here in Reading,

Same here. A fence post broke in the gales we had just before Christmas but I managed to prop it up before the fence panels broke completely. Another panel was damaged by a falling branch.

I'm having the whole section at the bottom of the garden replaced with more substantial concrete posts and 22mm closeboard fencing. It works out at approx £75 per linear metre.

Although the timber they'll be using is "pressure treated" I'll give it a couple of extra coats of preservative. A product called Creocote has been recommended as a eco-friendly alternative to pukka creosote. Has anyone used it before? Is it any good, or is there something better?

Thunder and Lightning - Haywain
"That counts as "cruel and unusual punishment",

It would under normal circumstances, but yesterday, it was preferable to drowning ;-)

Thunder and Lightning - Focusless
Good collection of pics in DM: tinyurl.com/pru56fx

Thunder and Lightning - legacylad
Very wet in Leeds this afternoon. Loweswater Gold in the Botanist. Various brews in Midnight Bell & Cross keys, followed by 6% Crazy Rat in The Hop (Ossett Brewery Tap) with live music. Train back t'Dales for another few pints of Ilkley Brewery's 'Mary Jane'.
Thunder & lightning indeed. Best stay indoors this weather, so I did!

Thunder and Lightning - Armel Coussine
We dithered about going to London and back today. There's still a lot of water about all around us, and a lot of tree debris on the roads. Standing water in outer lanes can cause colossal tailbacks on all the roads to London especially at weekends. The first time I came here in the late sixties, it was almost impossible to get back to London owing to floods everywhere, and that was in summer! It's never been that bad again actually, but recent weeks have seen a lot of roads closed for periods just round us, with the road closed notices getting out of phase and either blocking off good roads or sending people down dodgy flooded ones.

In the end we went, rather late, and had no hassles in either direction - indeed a very smooth and rapid drive home with little traffic. Hoopla! Vodka and orange very welcome after one tiny whiskers in the smoke just to keep the wolf from the door you understand...

Put some super-grade petrol in the jalopy by accident. It runs a little bit sweeter on it, hardly but just noticeable. Dunno if it's worth it in mpg terms but probably not.

'Put some super-grade petrol in the jalopy by accident.'

Nothing to do with?:

"......after one tiny whiskers in the smoke just to keep the wolf from the door you understand... "

Absolutely not Fc. It really was tiny, no more than a pub double - a dirty glass. Pulled up by the wrong pumps in some sort of unusual, small-company garage, saw that there were only super and diesel just there, thought eff it, can't be bothered to move the jalopy.

If I'd been on speed I'd have spotted the right pump, and if I hadn't got it right would have moved the jalopy, perhaps with an annoyed chirp from the driven tyres... but you wouldn't have approved Wp, and harsh drugs are bad for old geezers, so I wasn't. Forgive me.

Heh heh...
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 27 Jan 14 at 00:50

>> Absolutely not Fc.

>> you wouldn't have approved Wp,

Good God, sorry... you all look the same in those uniforms. Apologies, guh...

>> Good God, sorry... you all look the same in those uniforms. Apologies, guh...
>>

Do we still look young?

Very light dusting of snow here this morning.

Hail can be as just as lethal as ice and snow - for the unsuspecting motorist:

www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/A30-partially-blocked-Victoria-Roche-multi/story-20505267-detail/story.html#axzz2rbCkPmQQ

>> Hail can be as just as lethal as ice and snow - for the unsuspecting
>> motorist:
>>
>> www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/A30-partially-blocked-Victoria-Roche-multi/story-20505267-detail/story.html#axzz2rbCkPmQQ
>>
>>

Indeed.

Circa 2004 we were headed from Calais to Camping La Grande Cascade, just outside Le Mont Dore and favourite French campsite. Nowadays you'd use the Clermont to Bordeaux Autoroute but before it opened it was N road to top of Col de Ventouse then over the Col de Guery.

Just as we approached the junction for the Guery the storm that had been promised all day opened up. We stopped in lee of an abandoned hotel while thunder, lightening and hailstones the size of peanuts did their stuff. After 20mins, like the storm passing in Fantasia's rendition of Beethoven's 5th, the sun came out.

Drove off, cautiously, over a road covered in hailstone. After half a mile, approaching a rh bend a 3 series Beemer coming other way too fast spun a neat pirouette in front of us. It all went in slo-mo and I was convinced he'd either broadside the front of my car or drag his front end down down passenger side (of-side in right hand runnig). Mercifully he missed both . We didn't stop but I remember the youngish driver's resemblance to my the colleague Dan like a photoshot.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 27 Jan 14 at 17:52

>> Do we still look young?

Younger every day Wp, gambolling like spring lambs...

>> Younger every day Wp, gambolling like spring lambs...
>>
I'll have a pint of whatever you're on.

>>I'll have a pint of whatever you're on.

Better make that 1/2 oz.
Snow falling in North Nottinghamshire @ 11:15, 30/01/2014

>> Snow falling in North Nottinghamshire @ 11:15, 30/01/2014

Odd flurry in Northants too. Outside temp 2 degrees C according to weather station.

Another day with no bike ride.

Very wet - official - Focusless
"Early figures suggest parts of England have had their wettest January since records began more than 100 years ago."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25944823

Park where I walk the dog is very soggy. As is the dog by the time we get back.
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 30 Jan 14 at 11:36

Very wet - official - Dog
6° in Sunni Cornwall and it's not raining ... yet!

25° and sunny where I am*

wetter.micanarias.com/webcam/land_Spanien/provinz_Teneriffa/ort_/webcamid_61/webcam.html?pid=3773688074

*Mentally.

Latest Forum Posts