Non-motoring > Local elections - poling report Miscellaneous
Thread Author: car4play Replies: 107

Local elections - poling report - car4play
An interesting read, especially the 22% figure

ukpollingreport.co.uk/
 Local elections - poling report - sooty123
It is high, but not uncommon to be less cautious about voting for parties they wouldn't normally vote at a general election. BTW when are the elections?
 Local elections - poling report - Clk Sec
Tomorrow.
 Local elections - poling report - Bromptonaut
HAs anybody in areas where these elections are taking place seen evidence of campaigning?

In Northants I've seen nil posters, not been canvassed and only leaflet is from the incumbent Conservative.

Admittedly home is in a safe ward for the Cons. Their candidate has a good record on local issues and will have a sizeable personal vote. Only possible distortion by a turnout for UKIP might unseat her.

But other wards in the town must be more marginal - still no posters or anything.
 Local elections - poling report - MJM
I have the usual lib/lab/con to choose from plus green. I want none of them. Unless there is another box on the ballot paper (I've never seen one) that I can tick to say that I bothered to turn out but non of the above were worth voting for then I shan't bother to turn out.
 Local elections - poling report - Dog
Received some leaflets through the post but I haven't seen anybuddy.

Surprisingly (to me) there are no Labour or uKipper candies standing up ere.
 Local elections - poling report - Cliff Pope
I've just discovered why it has been so ominously quiet on the electoral front.
Wales is not included in this round, apart from Anglesey, which is having an election this year because they forgot about it last year.
 Local elections - poling report - Robin O'Reliant
>> I've just discovered why it has been so ominously quiet on the electoral front.
>> Wales is not included in this round,
>>

Thank the Lord for that.
 Local elections - poling report - Westpig
Have had one leaflet through the letter box from the Liberals...and that's it.

Seen several UKIP and Conservative posters displayed when I'm out and about, but no others.

Local elections - poling report - Zero
seen loads of ukip signs stuck in gardens. Usually where there is a flagpole with the cross of st george flying as well.
 Local elections - poling report - Armel Coussine
Labour isn't even standing where we vote. So the only choice is LibDem. Since the Tory will win anyway I may not bother to vote... but I'll regret it of course if the Vuvuzela candidate pulls it off because of all the local Cons thinking Cameron's a Trot...
 Local elections - poling report - Slidingpillar
Had one leaflet from UKIP, and what counts as at least two each from the Liberals and Conservative parties. The Conservatives are pushing hard here as although the existing incumbent is a Liberal, the gap to the conservatives is not that great.

I believe the Conservative candidate has called here, but played 'knock down ginger' and ran away before I could answer the door.

There is also a Green and a Labour candidate of which I know nothing.

My guess is the existing Liberal candidate will be re-elected as they have the right stand on a very important local issue* and I think this will colour the results more than any party issue.

Has to be said, the conservative and UKIP candidates say they've also got the same stand on the local issue, but I think the electorate will trust a sitting candidate who has proven to act the right way on the issue by previous actions.

Time will tell {shrugs...}

*Local issue is the Helioslough Rail Freight terminal at Radlet Aerodrome (really the former Handley Page works at Park Street) which has been refused local planning permission, but Eric Pickles says is minded to approve. My take in this is the local road system can't cope and the application is really for a large lorry to lorry terminal and the rail bit is a means to get permission and won't figure that highly in any operations as
 Local elections - poling report - Ted

We're in a happy position here.........no candidates, no election, nuffink. Not involved.

Ted
 Local elections - poling report - Stuu
I met my dads UKIP candidate who is the only candidate in his area who has bothered doing any legwork at all. Very nice, reasonable chap, retired economist with no former political life until this year when he joined UKIP. As my dad said, he could have been a Conservative from 20 years ago. When he left my dads house he crossed the close and several residents crossed the street to shake his hand, he was having trouble to get away, so the result in my dads area will be very interesting - if you could define a UKIP area, my dad lives in one.

Havent met my candidate yet but I have heard from him and he has been out on the streets but I wasnt in when he called. He is local, just a few miles away although I think he is, like many UKIP candidates, lacking funding for his campaign, they really have over-stretched themselves this time, but top marks for ambition atleast, even with the shall we say more 'colourful' candidates exposing the lack of party structure - atleast they have now all been suspended or kicked out as far as I can tell, hope so anyway but Nige seems to realise he has to stamp it out quickly.
Last edited by: FoR on Wed 1 May 13 at 14:29
 Local elections - poling report - Fursty Ferret
Despite swearing never to vote Lib Dem again, theirs was the only candidate who actually came knocking on doors. Seemed a sensible and friendly chap, and since none of the others bothered he'll get my vote.
 Local elections - poling report - DP
There are elections tomorrow?
>> There are elections tomorrow?
>>

The Chinese have one every morning.
 Local elections - poling report - Roger.
In our area there are 9 vacancies. We have candidates in eight of them.

I have replied to a couple of queries regarding leafleting/canvassing thus:(slightly edited re local circumstances):-

"As you know in any election campaign there are two main elements. The first is money and the second is man/woman-power.

All UKIP local candidates are self funding at branch level. This regrettably means that the money available for the quite expensive cost of printing election materials is limited.

Leafleting is labour intensive and many of our candidates and members have work commitments. We are not professional politicians - part of UKIP's attraction for many!

This has led to us taking pragmatic and necessary decisions as to the allocation of our resources.

Not all of the electoral divisions in the constituency will have a full coverage in terms of canvassing or leafleting: if you have not yet received, or will not receive, any campaign literature, I hope you will understand the reasons and will accept that as the branch grows and attracts members who hopefully will be keen volunteers, our future coverage will be more comprehensive.

We are committed to giving people who may have felt in the past disenfranchised, or unable to give their vote to Labour, LibDems or the Conservatives, the chance to vote for the UK Independence Party.
I hope that our candidate in your local division will receive your votes: we need to send a very clear message to the old guard of complacent parties that UKIP are here, will pose a threat to them all and are here to stay."

No doubt the same constraints apply elsewhere. Here, we have very actively leafleted and canvassed four of the eight areas in which we have a candidate. It will be interesting to see if there is a marked difference in votes between the actively canvassed areas and the others.

Local elections - poling report - neiltoo
>>
>> The Chinese have one every morning.
>>

Well, half of them.....
I think that is not quite right - Chinese culture values male infants more than female, (with some unpleasant ways of ensuring this- allegedly) so there is a gender imbalance!
I called into a polling station in my area. Between 0700 & 1300 they had 70 voters through. Four council staff looking bored in a deserted hall!
Mind you they get extra pay for it, IIRC.
 Local elections - poling report - sooty123
I don't think they are all council staff, most are volunteers. I think there is one person on here who does it.
 Local elections - poling report - neiltoo
If they're LA staff, they have to take a day's leave.
Get paid by the returning officer's department (LA)
 Local elections - poling report - Boxsterboy
Just found out that my ex-brother in law is standing for UKIP. He used to work with Farage (but not after lunch) and always did like the sound of his own voice, so he would make a good politician.
Well, herself persuaded me to do my civic duty for what it was worth. Voted Lib Dem twice with a bit of a scowl. I'm at a loss if there aren't any Labour or Communist candidates or even a proper Lord Hutch/Biscuit Barrel style loony.

So I just went on kneejerk can't vote Tory, can't vote Vuvuzela principle, if you can call it a principle. Actually one of the Tory candidates is a neighbour I don't know personally although I must have met her, whom herself quite likes socially and described as 'quite a nice lady'. Perhaps I should have voted for her because the LibDem standing against her had a jobsworthish sort of name... but even I can't vote on that basis, so ancient bigotry won out.

Local elections: dont'cha just hardly notice them? But they are in a way the bedrock of party politics. Or rather they used to be before all these jumped-up researchers packing parliament.

Round here it's usually a Tory shoo-in, but Vuvuzela may shake them up a bit this time.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 2 May 13 at 19:47
Just for you Roger, the great Guardian says sorry to a UKIP candidate - wont happen again, ever :-)

www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2013/may/02/corrections-and-clarifications
 Local elections - poling report - -
Just been up and done out solemn duty again, no we didn't spoil the papers because there is a UKIP candidate.

Not exactly queuing round the block at the polling station.

It appears Cast Iron has been waffling about legislation for a referendum (within 10 years?) in the unlikely event he should win the next election... ^^flap flap oink^^.

To late matey, some believed you last time they won't do that again, don't slam the number 10 door on your way out.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Thu 2 May 13 at 20:07
Another been and done my duty. As above I fully expect the quite decent local Tory to be re-elected but dropped my bit of sand in works by voting for the Lib Dem. Know the guy vaguely through the rail user group.

A quick snitch at the marked up register revealed that rom 14 houses and approx 36 voters only 7 had cast their votes by 19:45.
 Local elections - poling report - WillDeBeest
Voted on the way home. Our division is an amalgam of two, which last voted 59% and 65% Tory, so I doubt my vote will make much difference, but one must try. Labour polled about 5% last time, so not much point going that way; I won't vote Limocrat while they're still cravenly propping up Cameron; the Greens are nice but too single-issue; UKIP is, well, UKIP; which leaves the nice former deputy head standing on behalf of the Residents' Group. They'll put fresh flowers in the hanging baskets. Or something. So he'll do for now.
 Local elections - poling report - CGNorwich

"I'm at a loss if there aren't any Labour or Communist candidates or even a proper Lord Hutch/Biscuit Barrel style loony."

Shame that AC. Lord Toby Jug of the MRLP seems a to have a handle on things:

The UK Independence Party (Ukip) is not worthy of the description "fruitcakes and loonies", the leader of the Monster Raving Loony Party's Eastern region has said.

In a letter to The Independent, Lord Toby Jug said the use of the term "loonies" had become "cavalier" and it was his party who sought "the Holy grail of Loonyism".

He wrote: "As the official party of protest, we Official Monster Raving Loonies strongly object to use of the terms 'fruit cakes and loonies' when describing Ukip.

"We who seek the Holy grail of Loonyism strongly object to the cavalier use of these terms."

He added: "Most Ukip members and supporters are nothing but opportunists, seeking a populist platform for their extremist views."

I can quite see why Mr Jug is miffed.

But I don't think all UKIPpers have extremist views although some certainly have. The jokey xenophobia which is drummed deeply into all of us doesn't really require extremist views. It's just there. We're a bit paranoid about foreigners having too much say. Of course the foreigners are just as bad if not worse.

I do think UKIP supporters are naive and confused though. If they weren't they wouldn't think this country wasn't independent. It's the sort of view that only a paranoid reactionary would give a second glance to.
Xenophobia is one thing but UKIP also wants to remove the single most civilizing piece of legislation passed in my lifetime, the removal of smoking from public places. Only some time in southeast Europe last year reminded me how awful pubs here used to be. Do the 'Kippers here really want to go back to that?
 Local elections - poling report - legacylad
Thank goodness for the removal of smoking in public places. I was recently in a bar in Austria, ordered beer, then suddenly realised it was full of smokers. How it didn't register when I walked through the door goodness only knows.
We walked out within 20 seconds.
I had no idea UKIP wanted to reverse this
I read somewhere, cannot recall where but it was an interview with Farage that they were aiming for an arrangement that ended with there being a 'smoking room' so smokers were separated from those who wanted smoke free.

"On other issues, Farage backed grammar schools and a relaxation of the smoking ban to allow pubs and restaurants to have separate smoking rooms." From the Guardian, knew I hadnt imagined it.

Last edited by: FoR on Thu 2 May 13 at 22:19
Smoking ban has caused misery

Saturday, 30th June 2012

The fifth anniversary of the smoking ban in pubs is a cause for sadness not celebration, said UKIP Deputy Leader Paul Nuttall today.

It is five years on Sunday since the legislation was introduced and during that time thousands of pubs have closed down.

"In 2006 an average of four pubs a week closed down but the following year when the ban was imposed there was a huge jump to 27 a week," said Mr Nuttall.

"By 2009 this had risen further to a staggering 52 pubs a week and even now 16 a week are calling time for the last time.

"These figures give the lie to those who claim that the smoking ban has not played a major part in the demise of the pub trade in this country.

"Every single closure in towns and villages up and down the land means the loss of an important community asset. Pubs are at the heart of local communities and every closure is a tragedy.

"And let us not forget the thousands of jobs in these premises which are lost. The job market is increasingly difficult and bar workers are being added to the dole queue with little prospect of employment.

"What is needed is freedom for licensees to have a smoking room, which would be properly ventilated and so enable them to please both smokers and non-smokers. This legislation has taken away another freedom from "the man in the street" and literally forced him onto the street if he wants a cigarette."

Mr Nuttall, UKIP Deputy-Leader, has written a booklet on the pub trade in which he calls for Royal Commission to be urgently set up into the declining industry.
Another populist statement, that has no basis in fact, and would have no effect on the problem, like all UKIP statements.

It wasn't anti smoking that killed pubs, it was cut priced booze in Supermarkets and lease terms offered to landlords that have done for pubs.

And quite right too, many of them were s...holes.
 Local elections - poling report - Fursty Ferret
>> Another populist statement, that has no basis in fact, and would have no effect on
>> the problem, like all UKIP statements.
>>
>>
>> It wasn't anti smoking that killed pubs, it was cut priced booze in Supermarkets and
>> lease terms offered to landlords that have done for pubs.
>>
>> And quite right too, many of them were s...holes.
>>

^^ Wot he said.

And you don't have to serve food to do well as a pub, as my local will testify.
>> Smoking ban has caused misery
>>
>> Saturday, 30th June 2012
>>
>> The fifth anniversary of the smoking ban in pubs is a cause for sadness not
>> celebration, said UKIP Deputy Leader Paul Nuttall today.

I for one am delighted I can go to the pub without needing a change of clothes afterwards because of ciggy smoke.

Given smokers can slip out for a quick one under the verandah or whatever I doubt there's much correlation between smoking ban and pub closures. Much more to do with cheap booze in supermarkets, changing social habits and above all the economics dictated by the 'pubcos'.

And how many of those closures are final as opposed to one hopeful losing their life savings before another mug comes along?
>> I had no idea UKIP wanted to reverse this

Do you really mean UKIP are fanatical anti-smokers? Just like that twerp Hitler?

It's worse than I thought. I will have to revise my permissive line on them.
 Local elections - poling report - Lygonos
I love the irony that by reducing the use of one health destroying drug it also reduces the use of another social menace.

Utter cobblers, though: it is as Zed and Bromp suggest with carryouts.

Are UKIP stuck in a never ending episode of Emmerdale?
>> I love the irony that by reducing the use of one health destroying drug it also reduces the use of another social menace.

I don't follow that Lygonos. But never mind.

I may pose here as a militant smoker but I've been discreet in public for years now. You gotta go with the flow after complaining a few times.

It's not so bad not being able to smoke inside pubs. I've got used to it. Anyway I don't approve of smoking myself so it's good to have a chance not to. If the weather's all right, or the pub has awnings and heaters as the best ones do, people who want to smoke can sit outside. And those who have a sort of exaggerated tobacco phobia can be happy (until they notice the pong coming out of the gents).

'What's that pong Cynthia? I'm sure I smelt a pong.' My parents' generation are chortling and shaking their heads in their graves.

>> It's worse than I thought. I will have to revise my permissive line on them.

Oh dear, I am getting old. UKIP laments the absence of smoking in pubs. So they are all right after all.

I saw Mr Farage looking well chipper on This Week tonight. Dapper too but he isn't a good dresser. At least the yellow corduroys are still at the cleaner's.

Is the pint of ale a prop? One can only approve but a proper comedian would have got through a couple, not just taken a few maidenly sips.

Perhaps he was leaving room for a bit of champers later on, eh readers? Heh heh...
Personally I welcome smoking bans as I cannot stand the smell of smoke, the inevitable watering of my eyes and the need to wash every item of clothing after a short time in a smoky atmosphere.
Last edited by: Roger on Fri 3 May 13 at 07:45
I agree Roger, I have no time for smoking at all, infact my wife has recently given up which is a bonus for me, but I dont have a problem if a pub wants to have a smokers room down the hall so long as children are not permitted.

I am as concerned about high alcohol consumption as I am about smoking but we have almost come to accept people drinking themselves silly for some strange reason.
 Local elections - poling report - henry k
>> Personally I welcome smoking bans as I cannot stand the smell of smoke,
>> the inevitable watering of my eyes and the need to wash every item of clothing
>> after a short time in a smoky atmosphere.
>>
Me too but in addition for me its an immediate total strip down and shower to avoid affecting SWMBOs asthma else the smell lingers in what liitle thatch I have .
 Local elections - poling report - Pat
The answer of course, to both the blanket smoking ban and who is really to blame for the closure of so many pubs, would be to allow landlords and breweries to have a choice.

Make a pub totally no smoking or smoking and make it a prerequisite to advertise that fact outside clearly.

It would also have the benefit of allowing customers to have a choice and give an enormous boost to everyone in the UK who feels that their lives are being slowly governed by everyone but themselves.

Pat

Local elections - poling report - DP
>> The answer of course, to both the blanket smoking ban and who is really to
>> blame for the closure of so many pubs, would be to allow landlords and breweries
>> to have a choice.
>>
>> Make a pub totally no smoking or smoking and make it a prerequisite to advertise
>> that fact outside clearly.

That was the case before the ban, Pat. Individual pub landlords were perfectly at liberty to make their premises non-smoking before the ban came in. The general lack of take up was nothing more than business savvy landlords equating banning smoking with commercial suicide. Which, with double digit weekly pub closures that jumped in direct response to the ban, would appear to have been the correct prediction.

I seem to recall there was some sort of myth being peddled by the anti-smoking lobby at the time that legions of non-smokers were out there, currently being prevented from going to pubs because of the cigarette smoke, but who were ready to come out in droves to replace the smokers who might choose to stop going to pubs. It was claptrap.

I kicked the habit 7 months ago, and personally will never smoke again, but I don't believe in banning things generally. Not only that, but to ban something in such a way with one hand, while collecting over £10bn a year in duty from it on the other is rank hypocrisy. Nothing more or less.

I wouldn't vote UKIP if someone held a gun to my head, but they are right on this issue, IMHO. :-)
Last edited by: DP on Fri 3 May 13 at 09:33
 Local elections - poling report - Pat
Well done DP on giving up but I really do hope you never turn into a 'true' ex smoker;)

Very true words there.

It's hard to explain to a non smoker but it's more a social thing than a need for nicotine.

Smoking has just been banned anywhere in the yard at work apart from a small smoking shelter....which is frequently accommodated by 2 non-smokers nattering away and putting the world to rights, to every smoker in there.

Usually those are the ones who have protested loudly in the past that it should be banned.

I am campaigning for a sign to be put on the outside saying 'NON smokers banned'!

Pat
Some evidence following the ba in Scotland showed an improvement in bar staff health, especially respiratory complaints such as asthma.

Even bespoke smoking rooms need to be serviced by staff.

If you think there are a lot of claims for asbestos related illnesses wait til cast iron proof links acquired lung disease with being exposed to secondary smoking....
 Local elections - poling report - No FM2R
>>Even bespoke smoking rooms need to be serviced by staff.

And that is what drove the legislation in the States. Much as the anti-smokers were whining about smell and stuff, much as everybody maintained business would increase, what actually drove it was the ability of an employee to sue.

And they would be able to sue the employer, the smoker, the cigarette company, and the health organisation.
 Local elections - poling report - Cliff Pope
I've never smoked, but I used to like the way a bit of tobacco smoke gave a pub a chummy atmosphere. I also deeply resent the way the government and an army of collaborationist jobsworths are gradually regulating and banning things.

However, it is unfortunately said to be true that tobacco smoke is as dangerous as asbestos, and no sane person would support the right of consenting adults to create asbestos-dust dens.
It's a pity that the fight for freedom often seems to involve taking a stand on rather dodgy ground.
 Local elections - poling report - Mr. Ecs
I've voted Labour at many elections both national and local.
12 years ago we moved to Surrey. Where Labour has no chance, so I have been tactically voting for the best candidates I think will oust the sitting MP or councillors.
So the only party on the ballot paper yesterday that had a chance in hell of upsetting the Tories was UKIP.
So I voted for them. And why.
Cameron bangs on about how they have frozen the council tax since they came to power. Not where I am old sport, my CT as increased over the past 3 years under my Tory County Council and Tory local Council. So they were off my ballot paper list.
The Liberals, who I voted for at the General in 2010, crept into bed with him so they were a no go. That left Labour and UKIP.
Well, Labour would have been wasted vote, so I went with UKIP. As of this moment the results for here are not in yet.
I didn't vote for them over immigration. I wanted to let the local parties know that they needed a kick up the "Harris". And it seems many across the country have done the same.
Whether UKIP rides this wave to the next election will remain to be seen.
3 gains for UKIP so far in Cornwall.

Geezer I voted for (Mebyon Kernow) took the seat from LD.

I'm very pleased for UKIP and would have given them my vote if they had a candidate in my area.
What has made me chuckle is just how much influence UKIP is having on all the main parties - watching them ever so carefully comment on why people voted UKIP really does show they are a bit shocked. So am I, I think everyone is.

The 2015 UKIP GE manifesto had better be a corker though, but I think Nigel knows that and watching Steve Woolfe on TV earlier he seemed to be suggesting a slight relaxation on their immigration policy too, another sign of how they are looking to broaden further.
Is it me or does Steve Woolfe look like he can handle himself, he is quite a tough looking bloke although a lawyer too so he is good on detail - I wouldnt want to cross him in any capacity!
>>So am I, I think everyone is.

I'm not.

They stand up and say they will do everything for everybody and don't talk about any difficult stuff.

Its not a General Election (where they wlll crash and burn).

And since they're not actually in charge of anything, then they're not actually screwing anything up - or not yet.
>> >>So am I, I think everyone is.
>>
>> I'm not.

I'm not, Labour isnt, Tory isn't*. Circumstances dictate these times must be the biggest trigger for a protest vote ever. And thats all it is.

*Liberals is. But then they are under the misapprehension they are electable.
>> I wouldnt want to cross him in any capacity!

Why not? I have no idea of whether or not he's physically tough, but why would that matter either way if one wants to argue with a politican?
 Local elections - poling report - Alanovich
You are the bloke who Prescott lamped, and I claim my 5 pounds.
"Mark" is Eric Joyce AICMFP.
>>Why not? I have no idea of whether or not he's physically tough, but why would that matter either way if one wants to argue with a politican?<<

Im too thick to argue with a lawyer, I washes cars see.
>>Im too thick to argue with a lawyer, I washes cars see.

Sorry, I don't get your point.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 3 May 13 at 14:15
I dont think it is sensible for a professional idiot like me to try and argue the case with someone who makes their living arguing about things, I would only look foolish.
>> I dont think it is sensible for a professional idiot like me to try and
>> argue the case with someone who makes their living arguing about things, I would only
>> look foolish.

Having worked with lawyers for 35yrs I can assure you that idiocy and inabilty to make an argumnt are no bar to entry to either the Bar or the Solicitors roll.
...and having been married to one for 16 years, I'd better not comment.

Just looked at our OCC result. Our Tory won, but had to make do with 33% instead of 60ish last time. Labour and Green were nowhere, and the Limocrats joined them - only 90 votes for 3%, after second place in 2009. The Independent I voted for beat the Kipper to second.

Across the county, the Tories were wiped out in Oxford and Banbury, lost 20 seats out of 51, and OCC is now NOC. And UKIP won nothing, so it wasn't too bad a day.
>> I would only look foolish.

Only if;

1) you are foolish
2) the person you're arguing with is an a***.

If 1) then you shouldn't be allowed to vote

If 2) then you shouldn't have voted for him and so 1) applies.
>>1) you are foolish<<

It has been said, I did marry a mormon once...

>>2) the person you're arguing with is an a***.<<

Well clearly if they disagree with me they will be :-)

All idiots are created equal and I defend my right to be both foolish and vote - perhaps the most foolish are those who do not vote at all.
 Local elections - poling report - Crankcase
We appear to have gone CON>NOC (not Neil), but I enjoyed the headline:

County council is hung following elections

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 3 May 13 at 15:12
Some, of course, are better hung than others.
 Local elections - poling report - Crankcase
Across the county - there are now 10 UKIP winners. Blimey.
I wonder if finally the three stooges might have got it through their thick skulls that our votes, thereby endorsing their visions and social engineering experiments are not automatically theirs for their little cartel of three.

I came second to Labour in my division. The Labour candidate is a nice lady, well established in her post for many years. I beat the Tories & LibDems by a decent margin, but I was struck by how civilised everyone at the count was - whatever their affiliation.
Well said Rastaman, and well done too.
Yes, bad luck, Roger. We may disagree on politics but I'd happily share a decent pot of tea with you. Could probably find you a biscuit as well.
Same here Roger. At least you contributed to the political process instead of just moaning.

Of course being an intelligent sort of chap you will eventually realise how misguided your views are. ;-)
We may well be entering a phase where two party politics are dead and the next few parliaments are going to be coalitions.
Still no results for my area yet, one of the last to come in, still UKIP on 144 last time I looked which is way beyond what was predicted, even I thought 50 was a stretch.
>> Yes, bad luck, Roger. We may disagree on politics but I'd happily share a decent
>> pot of tea with you. Could probably find you a biscuit as well.
>>

Yorkshire Tea - proper leaf tea, of course!
 Local elections - poling report - movilogo
I do not understand the result. If UKIP has got ~25% of total vote, why they have not won any councils?

As per result, conservative won 18, labour 3 or 5 and rest no overall control (that is another thing what is don't understand).

Can someone please explain it?
UKIP's vote was thinly spread over a large number of seats, Labour and the Conservatives scored heavily in key seats.
 Local elections - polling report - Bromptonaut

>> Can someone please explain it?

In a few words, our first past the post electoral system.

Would be possible, all things equal, for them to get 25% in every contested ward but win no seats as Lab/LibDem/Cons got 30% with remaining 45% split between Indy/smaller party candidates.
 Local elections - polling report - Roger.
UKIP achieved:

1.25 million votes across the country – more than at the last General Election

UKIP won 154 Council seats (including 6 at District/Unitary by-elections)

Average of 24.6% of the vote where we stood

17 County Council seats in Kent, 16 in Lincolnshire, 12 in Cambridgeshire, 9 in Essex

UKIP will become the ‘official opposition’ or hold the balance of power on a number of Councils

The Eastern Counties (26.2%) and South East (26.1%) were UKIP’s top two performing regions.

878 UKIP candidates finished in second place
 Local elections - polling report - Zero
>> 878 UKIP candidates finished in second place

And no overall control in any council.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 4 May 13 at 21:47
>> I do not understand the result. If UKIP has got ~25% of total vote, why
>> they have not won any councils?
>>
>> As per result, conservative won 18, labour 3 or 5 and rest no overall control
>> (that is another thing what is don't understand).
>>
>> Can someone please explain it?

Yes it very simple. Each council is made of many wards, and you vote for person in your ward. Its just like lots of mini parliament in that:

• The make up of the council, being first past the post does not fairly represent the votes cast.

• frequently there is no majority power so nothing gets achieved

• being based on party political lines, everything swings left and right and nothing gets done.

Local elections - poling report - movilogo
Then why Tories are afraid? They are unlikely to win in next general election anyway and in spite of so many people voting for UKIP they still won majority of councils.
>> why Tories are afraid?

They aren't afraid exactly. It's just that their knickers are in a twist. Midterm yips.

Thanks to the firs-past-the-post electoral system there's very little chance of UKIP getting more than one or two MPs if that come the next general election.

People complain that the system doesn't give full representation to every shade of opinion. Well, exactly. That's the whole point, and a damn good thing too. Politics is complicated and silly enough as it is.
>> Then why Tories are afraid? They are unlikely to win in next general election anyway

They think they can. They think they should. So they will turn on themselves, plot and attempt coups, eventually lunching on their leader. They have history.

All parties do it, specially when they are in power.
Cornwall:

seats

Independent 37
Liberal Democrat 36
Conservative 31
Labour 8
United Kingdom Independence Party 6
Mebyon Kernow 4
Green Party 1

Devon:

Conservative 38
Liberal Democrat 9
Labour 7
United Kingdom Independence Party 4
Independent 3
Green Party 1
There must be some real tory politicians who have been masquerading as trendy slightly lefties for the last ten years.

I expect the surge of UKIP* has made many of them sit up and realise that all this walking on eggshells nonsense has been a complete waste of time, and the backbone of the country working voters have just shown them thats the case by voting in their droves for a real conservative with no pretence otherwise.

I can't see Cameron surviving, if he takes them into the general election he'll be out within 6 months when their votes diminish to nothing.
This talk of his about a referendum isn't convincing anyone, he promised it before and slimed his way out with barely a hint of embarrasment, he's proved himself untrustworthy and dishonourable, its over for him within 2 years IMO.

The next rout at the European election will get the whole tory party in jitters, they'll be shocked yet again when the votes they Demand-not-earn don't automatically come their way.

Large box of popcorn for me and watch the fireworks.

*i like the anti UKIP jibes here, considering they are a fledgling almost ramshackle party compared to the corporate run three houses party, its amazing just what can happen when a normal personable but flawed ungroomed bloke like Farage gets up and speaks the truth as he sees it...the other parties should take note, British working contributing law abiding people like the truth, they also dislike being told they are closet racists fruitcakes or loonies because they happen to believe in their hearts what UKIP stands for.

What i really like about Farage is that he's not a smooth easy lying politician, he's abit like a tin of Cuprinol, he does what it says in the tin...with a pint in one hand and a fag in the other.
"What i really like about Farage is that he's not a smooth easy lying politician, he's abit like a tin of Cuprinol, he does what it says in the tin."

But there's not much written on the tin is there? I rather suspect that the aims of Mr Farage and what his supporters believe his aims to be are quite different and there's quite a lot of disillusionment to come sometime in the future, but time will tell.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 4 May 13 at 21:20
[Farage] does what it says in the tin...

Try saying that when he's held genuine political office for a couple of years, not that he ever will. Like George Galloway, he's a shallow crowd-pleaser who's attracted a mid-term protest vote; the TV vox pops were unequivocal about people's reasons for voting UKIP. This is the Kippers' high-water mark.
Ive decided, Im going to join UKIP, partly out of curiosity about the inner workings of the party and partly because I want to stop reading the opinions of others about the nature of party members and discover for myself what they are really like. As someone who doesnt go to pubs or even drink alcohol, I wonder if I will fit in or if they are really people I will like.

Ill get back to ya :-)

Our lot are fairly normal!
Activists and CC candidates: A retired miner, two OAPs (me & SWMBO) , a retired fireman (who is a Harley Davidson biker) , a coach driver/operator, a power station engineer, a S/E plasterer, a coach company manager and assorted other folk from very different backgrounds.
We all get on well with each other!
We meet in a pub, but drinking is not compulsory!
Last edited by: Roger on Sat 4 May 13 at 22:48
Ive met activists from the Tories and Labour and they are decidedly odd but in very different ways, but then maybe it is the nature of activists to be slightly strange, the Labour guy was Im sure a full bore commie in denial and the Tory was so far up his own backside it is a wonder he managed to function. I dont mind the odd weird person but I wouldnt pay to hang out with them!

I wonder what the younger generation get up to Roger? They seem, how can I put it, excitable? I think I might tire of too much anarchic politics, im too old for it :-)

>> What i really like about Farage is that he's not a smooth easy lying politician,
>> he's abit like a tin of Cuprinol, he does what it says in the tin...with
>> a pint in one hand and a fag in the other.

What little is written on the tin, I don't like. He also looks like thats the first pint he ever had, and he handles a fag like an affectation.
>> He also looks like thats the first pint he ever had,

Fair's fair Zero. He appeared to have sunk at least one yesterday, or whenever the fairly pleasing results came out. He must have seen my comment yesterday on the maidenly sipping, and decided to go for it.

Of course anything like that is easy to fake. You chuck most of it away and pour the dregs down the Vuvuzela with a greedy smirk. But I don't think that's what he was doing. He was having a well-earned public drink.

He does need a sartorial adviser though. Garbaggio is garbaggio whatever sort of whistle it comes out of, but if I were Mr Garage I'd fire the lifestyle guru and get a better one.
 Local elections - poling report - Alanovich

>> *i like the anti UKIP jibes here, considering they are a fledgling almost ramshackle party
>> compared to the corporate run three houses party, its amazing just what can happen when
>> a normal personable but flawed ungroomed bloke like Farage gets up and speaks the truth
>> as he sees it...the other parties should take note, British working contributing law abiding people
>> like the truth, they also dislike being told they are closet racists fruitcakes or loonies
>> because they happen to believe in their hearts what UKIP stands for.

The truth? When Farage and his party tell us the truth about how they are going to finance their extravagant promises, then they can have some claim on speaking the truth. Until then, they are just the same as every other Political Party, whatever their supporters might like to think.
>> Cornwall:
>>
>> seats
>>
>> Independent 37

>>
>> Devon:

Message: Cornwall still comprises lot's of communities where people matter more than party.

Long may it continue.
At local level, UKIP councillors are not "whipped" to a specific line by the party and are free to act in the best interests of their electorates.
>> At local level, UKIP councillors are not "whipped" to a specific line by the party

They dont know what the line is this week.
>> >> At local level, UKIP councillors are not "whipped" to a specific line by the
>> party
>>
>> They dont know what the line is this week.

You are so full of it that this is especially for you!
tinyurl.com/cb4jttn
Oh dear, how very uncivilised, not at all like the people on election night it seems.

>>Message: Cornwall still comprises lot's of communities where people matter more than party.
Long may it continue.

I'll drink to that :)

The Conservatives lost 18 seats in Cornwall, but only 3 in Devon.

LibDems lost 2 seats in Cornwall, 5 in Devon.

Labour won 8 seats in Cornwall, and 3 seats in Devon.
 Local elections - poling report - Duncan
>> Message: Cornwall still comprises lot's of communities where people matter more than party.

Ignoring the intrusive apostrophe - what does it mean?
That people there vote for the individual, rather than the proverbial donkey in a blue (or red - or purple-and-yellow) rosette.
 Local elections - poling report - Duncan
>> That people there vote for the individual, rather than the proverbial donkey in a blue
>> (or red - or purple-and-yellow) rosette.
>>

Cornwall is (one of) the poorest county(ies) in the country.

Do people vote that way because they are poor? - or

Are they poor because they vote that way?

>> Cornwall is (one of) the poorest county(ies) in the country.
>>
>> Do people vote that way because they are poor? - or
>>
>> Are they poor because they vote that way?

They ain't poor. Not by a long stretch. Its an act honed over centuries.
>>They ain't poor. Not by a long stretch. Its an act honed over centuries.

You're not wrong: www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=4640
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/

:o}
Latest Forum Posts