Non-motoring > Wi Fi on camera Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 14

Wi Fi on camera - CGNorwich
I have recently purchased a Panasonic camera which has a GPS feature.

I order to enable speedier satellite location there is a program called GPSAssist which I need to run on my Mac. every time I try to run this program I get the message

"Unable to copy GPS assist data.
var is write-protected.
Release the write protection.

Not really sure what this is saying - any ideas anyone?
 Wi Fi on camera - rtj70
Perhaps you can tell us the model of camera you have? Then someone might be able to investigate.

So is the Mac meant to connect via WiFi to the camera using a hotspot provided by the camera? Or should the thread title be GPS on camera?

The write protect error makes me wonder if the data is stored on a memory card and the write protect switch is in the 'locked' position.
 Wi Fi on camera - Zero
Its saying it can't write the data to the SD card. Either the SD card has the write protect switch on, the files system ont he card is us (reformat it) or the camera is picky over what cards it uses (speed wise and size)
 Wi Fi on camera - Zero
does the card on the camera mount on the mac when you plug it in?

Edit: if it does then "get info" and check permissions.

If it doesn't, you won't write to it anyhow.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 22 Feb 14 at 20:32
 Wi Fi on camera - CGNorwich
I have just re-formatted the card in the camera. Definitely not write protected. I have checked the card in the Mac and it mounts OK. Checked info/permissions and it tells me I am able to read and write to card

Tried downloading data again and I get the same message.

Wi Fi on camera - Zero
>> I have just re-formatted the card in the camera. Definitely not write protected. I have
>> checked the card in the Mac and it mounts OK. Checked info/permissions and it tells
>> me I am able to read and write to card
>>
>> Tried downloading data again and I get the same message.

Can you see the card in the camera when its connected to the PC via the usb cable?
 GPS on camera - CGNorwich
Yes GPS on camera.

Camera is Lumix TZ40

Camera is connected to mac via USB lead.

When I run the program the data is downloaded from the web ok but I then get the error message. It seems to think the SD card is write protected somehow and can't write the dt to the card. Have tried a couple of card and get the same message for each.
 GPS on camera - rtj70
Presumably:

- You have access to the file it's downloaded but won't copy to the card.
- You can see on the SD card when plugged into the Mac a version of the same ephemeris GPS file

So try manually copying the file and stick it back in the camera afterwards.
 GPS on camera - rtj70
Is it trying to write to the internal memory of the camera and failing. Is there an option in the software to select the SD card.

I can see why using the memory in the camera is better - swapping/formatting SD cards.

Is this link any use:

panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/gpsassist/index2.html
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 22 Feb 14 at 22:13
 GPS on camera - CGNorwich
Have now tried option of downloading GPS Assist directly to SD card in Mac but still get the same message which would indicate the problem is with the card but I've tried two.

Giving up for the night.
 GPS on camera - smokie
I think you said you can see the card on your PC when camera attached by USB. In which case just try copying any old file to the card - a picture maybe - just to rule out any card issues. Not sure if you can also see the main memory in the camera and try the same.

Here's another link which is probably a different method. us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32794/~/can-the-gps-assist-data-be-imported-with-a-macintosh-computer%3F
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 23 Feb 14 at 11:00
 GPS on camera - Fullchat
If I put an SD card in the sot in the iMac - no go. But if I plug it in the printer or one of those multi card readers plugged into the USB it's ok. Strange.
 GPS on camera - rtj70
Fulllchat, what is the memory card and how old is the Mac? The Mac you have might not support SXDC cards.
 GPS on camera - Fullchat
Mac is just over 3 years and using Scandisc SD cards.
 GPS on camera - Fenlander
Our old HP desktop would do this randomly on some cards from time to time.. odd but never an issue as I just pulled out the £10 no-brand usb card reader and that always worked.
Latest Forum Posts