Non-motoring > Home made bangers. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 61

Home made bangers. - Roger.
No - not motoring related!

I've just made a couple of kilos of sausages, using an "out of my head" (no snide comments, please) recipe.

Pork shoulder steaks- minced, pinhead rusk, salt, nutmeg, ground black pepper and herberts Provençal.
I've tried a similar mix with apple: not my favourite, but 'er indoors liked them.
Has anyone have a tried and tested alternative mixture?
 Home made bangers. - MD
Yes. I used to make home made bangers as a youth. Gotta tell ya next doors Cat was well unimpressed.
 Home made bangers. - WillDeBeest
Now this I do approve of, Rog. You don't mention your choice (and source) of casing, or your filling technique. My memory is of it being quite hard to get the meat into the skins while leaving the air outside, so there were a few real bangs when they hit the frying pan. Fun, though. Must have another go.

I'd be inclined to keep sausage flavourings dry: apple with sausages, definitely; apple in sausages, not so keen. Mace, white pepper, ground ginger are all welcome, but the main taste I want in a sausage is pork.
 Home made bangers. - DP
>> I'd be inclined to keep sausage flavourings dry: apple with sausages, definitely; apple in
>> sausages, not so keen. Mace, white pepper, ground ginger are all welcome, but the main taste
>> I want in a sausage is pork.

Agree generally, but a bit of Stilton in the mix is always welcome as far as I am concerned.
 Home made bangers. - Cliff Pope
>>My memory is of it being quite hard to get
>> the meat into the skins while leaving the air outside, so there were a few
>> real bangs when they hit the frying pan.

Isn't that why you prick sausages with a fork along two sides before cooking, to let air out and stop them bursting?

Not modern mass-produced ones I have noticed - they don't seem to have skins any more.
 Home made bangers. - Zero

>> Isn't that why you prick sausages with a fork along two sides before cooking, to
>> let air out and stop them bursting?

I was waiting for this. The "should you prick or not" argument. I contend "no prick" the sausage maker did not intend anything inside to escape outside. To prevent the burst you have adjust your cooking technique, usually too hot too quickly makes them burst.
 Home made bangers. - Cliff Pope
Yes, I've read that and followed the debate. I thought the conclusion was that old-fashioned sausages in genuine intestines did need pricking, as the skin is impermeable, but modern ones with some kind of alternative skin don't because the juices and air can permeate the skin?

Last week was British Pork Sausage Week I discover, but a quick scan of the website doesn't seem to address the question.
 Home made bangers. - Duncan
I prefer my sausages un-pricked and burst. That way the inside gets cooked as well.
I have used both natural hog casings and the collagen type. The latter are much easier to put on the extruder: the former are very difficult to manage, but give a nicer product.
I have used both pinhead rusk and breadcrumbs - no preference there.
I use the mincer attachment for our Kenwood Chef, which came with sausage making/stuffing elements.
There should be no need to prick sausages if filled well. I understand that the idea is for the insides of a sausage to cook in its own juices, while browning on the outside - letting the juices escape may well affect that.
The big plus to home made sausages has to be that you know what has gone into them and you can, within reason, control the fat content. (Too lean and they are not good).

Home made bangers. - Dog
>>I prefer my sausages un-pricked and burst. That way the inside gets cooked as well.

Do 'em in the oven then.
Roger's right about pricking and bursting: both better avoided. My problem with my own was that, however gently I fried (never grilled) them, any pockets of air would puff up and burst, hence my concern about filling technique.

But I have a hand-cranked piston-type filler, which is really a four-handed job to operate. Last time I used it, my other pair of hands was nine years old; he's fourteen now, so perhaps between us we can do a better job. The good ones were very good!
 Home made bangers. - Mapmaker
Hear Hear. Cook 'em in the oven (awaits tirade from Zero).

Proper Andouillettes *really* explode in the oven, so I prick them all over. Otherwise, I don't prick sausages.
 Home made bangers. - Dog
Once upon a time, not-so long ago, I used to grill bangers and, when they were nicely cooked, I'd cut them in half and grill them again ... My Canadian byrd calls me a food Nazi :o)
 Home made bangers. - Bromptonaut
>> Hear Hear. Cook 'em in the oven (awaits tirade from Zero).

That's what we do. Usually Waitrose or one of Aldi's premium bangers. Thoroughly cookedd and still juicy.

Cannot be arxed making my own.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 19 Nov 15 at 14:45
 Home made bangers. - CGNorwich
Making your owns seems a little stone-age. Embrace technology and stick some of these in the microwave. Just two minutes and they're on the table. Go nicely with some microwaveable chips.

Great for busy truck drivers wives. :-)

tinyurl.com/nfcavhd
 Home made bangers. - Pat
I haven't seen those before!

He's got a microwave in his lorry so he can cook them on his way home;)

Pat
>> Making your owns seems a little stone-age. Embrace technology and stick some of these in
>> the microwave. Just two minutes and they're on the table. Go nicely with some microwaveable
>> chips.

Tried them, they are actually very good if you want an almost instant ready to eat sausage sarnie.
 Home made bangers. - Crankcase
The Walls ones might be ok. Some packety things are acceptable if needs must. That Aunt Bessie does a not totally unbearable toad in the hole, for example, and Birdseye chicken pies are actually fine too.
 Home made bangers. - Dog
>> Aunt Bessie does a not totally unbearable toad in the hole

We used to have Aunt Bessie's vegetarian toad up the hole on a regular basis when we were that way inclined.
Last edited by: Dog on Thu 19 Nov 15 at 16:26
>> Hear Hear. Cook 'em in the oven (awaits tirade from Zero).
joints of meat, birds and casseroles go int he oven, sausages dont.

Home made bangers. - Clk Sec
>>Great for busy truck drivers wives

Now, this is a tasty little number...

tinyurl.com/qe76gqq

>> tinyurl.com/qe76gqq

Load of *&%^&* @*£@£%& e

:-)
Load of *&%^&* @*£@£%& e

Is that because?

1 They are vegetarian

2 They are Linda McCartney Brand.

3 They taste horrible - you have tried them

4 Other
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 19 Nov 15 at 17:04
>> Load of *&%^&* @*£@£%& e
>>
>>
>> Is that because?
>>
>> 1 They are vegetarian
>>
>> 2 They are Linda McCartney Brand.
>>
>> 3 They taste horrible - you have tried them
>>
>> 4 Other

click any and all of the above. They look and taste like dried wrinkly dog turds
What enticed you to eat a dried wrinkly dog turd look alike?
>> What enticed you to eat a dried wrinkly dog turd look alike?

It was cunningly disguised under an invisibility cloak of baked beans
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 19 Nov 15 at 17:10
I must say that whilst I like many vegetable only dishes. I'm not a big fan of "vegetarian" meals. There seems to be too much of a new age hippy dippy aspect to vegetarianism.

I think I could quite happily exist without meat though if I had to as long as I could have dairy,eggs and and fish.
>> I must say that whilst I like many vegetable only dishes. I'm not a big
>> fan of "vegetarian" meals. There seems to be too much of a new age hippy
>> dippy aspect to vegetarianism.
>>
>> I think I could quite happily exist without meat though if I had to as
>> long as I could have dairy,eggs and and fish.

I am quite happy with vegetarian food, a veggie curry, soups, stews etc, I can not however see the point in making an artificial sausage or burger. FFS I have even seen veggie bacon. WHY!
 Home made bangers. - rtj70
I've been to a vegan Chinese restaurant in California where they had vegan versions of well known dishes that would normally have meat. The food had to texture of the meat it was trying to be. One was made from a mushroom but made to be like some sort of beef. Weird. Because if you're vegan, why would you eat something trying to be like meat!?!?

Our local Tandoori restaurant/takeaway does some excellent veg curries. Better IMO than a meat version. Instead of say some chicken in a korma sauce, you get a variety of veg like aubergine, cauliflower, tomato, potato etc.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 19 Nov 15 at 17:40
Well I suppose a sausage is only a skins stuffed with meat, filler and herbs. A skin filled with nuts ,filler and herbs doesn't seem an unreasonable idea nor does a vegetarian patty. A burger is only a meat patty after all.

If you take the humble pizza it start life as a basically vegetarian dish. I suppose vegetarians could complain about people adding chicken, sausage and the like and ask the same question.
>> Well I suppose a sausage is only a skins stuffed with meat, filler and herbs.
>> A skin filled with nuts ,filler and herbs doesn't seem an unreasonable idea nor does
>> a vegetarian patty. A burger is only a meat patty after all.
>>
>> If you take the humble pizza it start life as a basically vegetarian dish. I
>> suppose vegetarians could complain about people adding chicken, sausage and the like and ask the
>> same question.

And bacon? Fabricating a fake cut of meat?
Well no, I don't see the point of simply imitating something. It's best to enjoy things for what they are. Seems OK to make generic things like patties and sausages sans meat though in thesame way you might make a chicken burger rather than a beef burger.
>>And bacon? Fabricating a fake cut of meat?

I tried this when Dog mentioned it in a post a while back, but wasn't impressed.

Although I haven't eaten meat for about 35 years, and my diet consists almost entirely of food cooked from scratch by Mrs CS, I do have the occasional supermarket veggie sausages, pies, pasties, etc, for convenience and because I quite like them - but absolutely not because they happen to resemble meat.

I thought my veggie banger link might get a response, and I wasn't disappointed!!

Home made bangers. - Dog
Vegetarian-ism is okay OK: www.express.co.uk/news/nature/620718/Real-bear-picnic
Dog

The wife thought you might like to try these. She loves 'em:

www.debbieandandrews.co.uk/our-food/perfect-pork-sausages
 Home made bangers. - Dog
Cheers CS & Mrs CS, I'll ask Lady Dog to look out for 'em.
 Home made bangers. - smokie
They're stocked in Tesco's for sure.
And Sainsbury's.
 Home made bangers. - neiltoo
Tried them. I liked them, but Mrs Too says they are too meaty (!).
I think too much meat and not enough fat, so the meat is more solid than she likes.
She likes them incinerated anyway, so wht does she know?
I'd have them again.
I understand Debbie and Andrew have sold their company on , and have started again, based on their farm. The name escapes me for the moment, but they serve Tesco in our area.
 Home made bangers. - Dog
Google (Bing actually) is my friend:

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/businessclub/9832464/Couple-learn-hard-lessons-from-selling-their-business.html

www.heckfood.co.uk/home
Bing is my friend too. I watch him every week with my grandson,

www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/watch/bing-meet-flop
 Home made bangers. - Dog
I remember Bing, in The Road To films :)
 Home made bangers. - Dog
Just devoured a Hark sausage sand witch. Very nice bangers - done in the oven (fan) 30 mins at 180°.

As nice as they were, I wouldn't have them again b'cos they con-tain sugar, and I don't do sucrose.

I will try the DebbieandAndrews jobbies next time.
 Home made bangers. - Dog
Just scoffed 4 x Debbie & Andrews bangers between 2 slices of my home-made wholemeal bread.

They went down a treat. Nothing on them - I usually put English mustard on 'em.

Whether they were nicer than the 'Hark' bangers I had last week I can't honestly say. The D & A bangers were more like a traditional banger I sup hose; fat things, and I am rather partial to a fat sausage now and again.

:)
 Home made bangers. - DP
>> FFS I have even seen veggie bacon. WHY!

A good friend of mine is a strict muslim and often the group banter involves some sort of bacon deprivation wind-up. For example, how you could possibly devote yourself to a religion that forbids you from ever experiencing the sheer pleasure of a well cooked bacon sandwich.

His response was that he'd tried veggie bacon and turkey bacon and wasn't it the same? We couldn't find a way to explain it to him. How do you explain how bacon tastes, especially in relation to the fake stuff? One of the group saying it was like eating a little bit of Jesus just drew blank stares.

There were even some helpful workarounds suggested, such as suggesting that he just have a bacon roll or two, and go immediately to confession, until he pointed out that it wasn't Catholicism and it didn't work that way.

Absolutely top bloke, who I can assure anyone reading this in horror, gives as good, if not better than he gets.
My ex boss was Jewish, quite strict with it, but threatened to sack anyone who dobbed her in for eating a bacon roll at our breakfast meeting
Never quite got this devotion to bacon. Sure I eat the stuff but mostly as ingredient combined with other things. Can't remember the last time I had a bacon sandwich or indeed a fried breakfast. Live without bacon? No problem.

Home made bangers. - DP
>> Never quite got this devotion to bacon. Sure I eat the stuff but mostly as
>> ingredient combined with other things. Can't remember the last time I had a bacon sandwich
>> or indeed a fried breakfast. Live without bacon? No problem.

A bacon sandwich accompanied by a mug of strong tea is, for me at least, one of life's genuine pleasures.

My 8 year old daughter can take it or leave it. She declined a bacon sarnie for breakfast this morning opting for a bowl of cereal instead. Baffling behaviour ;-)
Last edited by: DP on Sat 21 Nov 15 at 10:28
>> >>Great for busy truck drivers wives
>>
>> Now, this is a tasty little number...
>>
>> tinyurl.com/qe76gqq

Very turdish!
 Home made bangers. - Armel Coussine
Nothing compares to a hot döner kebab with everything on it. Very messy to eat but it tastes so good you don't even care what's in it (God knows of course). So good you don't mind getting juice and yoghurt all down your front.

I could do with one right now, but they are 50 miles away dammit.
 Home made bangers. - Manatee
>> Nothing compares to a hot döner kebab with everything on it. Very messy to eat
>> but it tastes so good you don't even care what's in it

I have never had a slice off the elephant's leg. Arguably, being made from lamb as a rule, it should be healthier than what is in a frankfurter or any cheap sausage, but it does have the perceived added risk that you are never quite sure how many heat cycles it has been through.

In fact I believe it has been established that while c. 1 in 20 doners has some food poisoning bugs, it's usually the salad that's to blame. But the longer I look at the rotating mass, the less I want to try it.

My loss I guess. But at least it's not another fattening item I need to resist.
>> But the longer I look at the rotating mass, the less I want to try it.

They have one permanently on display in my local chippy - and some on here think veggie bangers look turdish!!!

>> They have one permanently on display in my local chippy - and some on here
>> think veggie bangers look turdish!!!

As opposed to Kurdish
 Home made bangers. - No FM2R

>> I could do with one right now, but they are 50 8,000 miles away dammit.

And I miss them very much.
 Home made bangers. - Dog
>>Now, this is a tasty little number...

tinyurl.com/qe76gqq

LQQKS okay actually, might give 'em a go.
Ok - how about

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-34722952

The Bug Burger
 Home made bangers. - Dog
>>Ok - how about

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-34722952

The Bug Burger

I could eat that - if my survival depended on it.

The only thing I would not eat, is people, as in the Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571.
 Home made bangers. - Armel Coussine
>> LQQKS okay actually, might give 'em a go.

Yeah, if a tiny bit greasy.

But no way can they taste as good as a decent döner hot off the huge sizzling lump, with red and green sauce and some live yoghurt, maybe a bit of salad with raw onions, in a disintegrating pita... perfection. Of course you do need to be a willing carnivore to eat it, and willing to get stuff on your tee shirt or jumper. Believe me it's a small price to pay. There are two or maybe three places in the Gate that do them, if they still exist. The best used to be on the small roundabout at the top of Ladbroke Grove, near the old gasworks.

I bet it still does them.
 Home made bangers. - Dog
>>But no way can they taste as good as a decent doner hot off the huge sizzling lump, with red and green sauce and some live yoghurt, maybe a bit of salad with raw onions, in a disintegrating pita... perfection

I well remember the first time I had a doner kebab c1981 or thereabouts. It was a late Friday evening in winter and I was 'doing' a V8 Rover for an Asian (probably a Turk) car dealer down the Walworth Rd., The guy brought me out a kebab with a cup of tea, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so in fact, we had one on a regular basis.
 Home made bangers. - J Bonington Jagworth
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Antony Worrall-Thompson yet. For a while, the wrapper for his (brand of) sausages had a photo of himself, positioned just a bit too close to the advice: 'prick with a fork'. This phrase is still bandied about our kitchen whenever sausages are on the menu, but we are easily amused, I admit.
Easily fooled, too.
(a) it's a prank, done with some crude Photoshopping, as you can see here:
smokinggunpr.co.uk/2010/02/ainsley-harriott-prick-with-a-fork-sausages/

(b) cooking instructions go on the back, or occasionally the front, but never half and half.

(c) people who know about sausages don't prick 'em.

(d) it was about Ainsley Harriott! Worrall-Thompson was too busy filling his pockets with Tesco cheese.

Now, about this large amount of cash I need to move out of Nigeria...
Latest Forum Posts