Non-motoring > Bargains Thread - Volume 18   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 118

Bargains Thread - Volume 18 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 19 *****

=============================================================

More bargains !

Post links in here of any offers/bargains that you come across. Need not be motoring but motoring related is of course welcome.

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 17 can be found HERE

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 28 Nov 16 at 09:58

Windscreen Wipers from Wilkinson's - Clk Sec
Bought one a couple of weeks ago for £2. Works as well as any I've had before and is less noisy than the Halfords blade it replaced.

Windscreen Wipers from Wilkinson's - Robin O'Reliant
>> Bought one a couple of weeks ago for £2. Works as well as any I've
>> had before and is less noisy than the Halfords blade it replaced.
>>

I've bought quite a few of those, no complaints.

Tesco Sim Deal - zippy
Tesco (O2 network) have a good deal

750 minutes, 5000 texts and 6gb of data for £12.50 per month on a 12 month contract

or

5000 minutes, 5000 texts and 12gb of data for 17.50 per month on a 12 month contract.

Tesco coverage is good and it is 4g.

Tesco Sim Deal - CGNorwich
I'm always intrigued by these deals. Do people really spend 750 minutes on the phone and send 5000 texts a month and use 12 GB of data?

I guess I make a dozen calls a month on the mobile with perhaps nearly as many texts. I use the other functions of my smart phone a lot but there's nearly always free wifi around these days. Most months I spend around £3 or £4 pound on PAYG.

How do people consume so much. What are you all doing?

Tesco Sim Deal - sooty123
Teenagers without wifi i would think, maybe business types as well, would be the main customers.

Tesco Sim Deal - smokie
Plenty of people stream music and movies on the move. I've usually got by on 1Gb data because I don't do much of that when not on WiFi. I recently moved to a Vodafone 30 day package for £5 something a month which ash fairly low calls, unlimited texts and 12Gb data.

As a business person I needed a lot of call time but not a lot else.

Tesco Sim Deal - PeterS
750 minutes a month is not much more than 20 minutes a day; I'm pretty sure I spend longer than that on the phone. I don't send many texts, but the i-message equivalent probably averages 20/30 a day as well - 3 or 4 short 'chats' with a few friends or colleagues.

Data wise I have no idea. I have unlimited data, but I imagine streaming audio in the car and on the train consumes a chunk; that combined with some app using and browsing must also consume a fair bit... The bulk is probably synching photos etc though I'd guess...that or sending photos by email... In fact, I've just checked. My phone says I've consumed 34GB of data this period. I think that means since I've reset it, which is never, and I've had the phone since the end of August. So around 6 weeks I guess... 6GB a week. Seems a lot...but photos are several MB each...

Tesco Sim Deal - Crankcase
Like CG, whose minimal usage is still far in excess of what I do, I don't use the phone very much at all. Indeed, after next summer when the iPhone goes back to my employer, I don't intend to replace it.

We did buy a six quid Nokia from Tesco on payg a few weeks ago, and we may share that if we somehow desperately need to use a phone in an emergency I guess.

Tesco Sim Deal - John Boy
>> We did buy a six quid Nokia from Tesco on payg a few weeks ago, and we may share that if we somehow desperately need to use a phone in an emergency I guess.

I really like having a (hand-me-down) iPhone for the Contacts, the Calendar, the Utilities, the camera and the sat-nav, but it doesn't impress me as a telephone. My old Nokia 3310 was far better.

Tesco Sim Deal - zippy
Phone usage....

Yes, I have 16gb and use it. Mostly data when visiting clients and streaming music or films when in hotels and the hotel network is too slow (more often than not).

I have unlimited minutes and texts but use about 300 minutes a month but occasionally (family emergencies I have been on the phone for hours whilst on planes, trains and automobiles getting home) and it is good to know that i won't be landed with a horrendous bill for the sake of a few pounds a month. If I send a dozen texts a month that's too much.

I got the £12.50 sim for my lad. He will use the 6gb streaming music whilst walking to college or down the gym. He must use all of about 5 minutes talking on the phone each month there is only so much one can communicate with grunts!
Last edited by: zippy on Tue 11 Oct 16 at 22:14

Fizzy pop - Roger.
Coca Cola - Regular, Diet & Zero Sugar on offer at TESCO from today, 14/11/16 for a short period, for only £5.00 for a pack of 24.
Last edited by: Roger. on Mon 14 Nov 16 at 13:34

Fizzy pop - CGNorwich
That will help the obesity crisis

Fizzy pop - Roger.
We bought two packs of Zero - (plenty of room in our shed) - wanted more, but the boss said "No."

Fizzy pop - VxFan
>> Coca Cola - Regular, Diet & Zero Sugar on offer at TESCO from today, 14/11/16 for a short period

Offer valid from 14/11/2016 until 22/11/2016

Fizzy pop - madf
SQ!!
>> Offer valid from 14/11/2016 until 22/11/2016

Ideal to dissolve rust so not "non motoring".

(My entry for pendant pedant of the year:-)
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 15 Nov 16 at 01:51

Fizzy pop - legacylad
Talking of Coca Cola, their promo wagon does a UK tour in the run up to Xmas. You can find all about it online.
Any ways, a Bradford councillor has opposed it stopping in Bradford ( at a Morrisons) because she says the fizzy drink encourages obesity and diabetes, of which Bradford is a world leader. It may well be the case that fizzy drinks don't help tooth decay, obesity and diabetes, but to ban the Coca Cola lorry is bonkers.
The health problems arise because stupid thickos live off cheap pizza and junk fast good. The idea of actually buying fresh healthy raw ingredients and 'cooking something' instead of heating up processed food or buying cheap junk from McvoMits is beyond their tiny lazy brains.
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 14 Nov 16 at 21:38

Fizzy pop - CGNorwich
67% of the UK population are overweight. That includes 25% who are clinically obese. That must include a significant element of posters on this forum. I am myself teetering on the edge of being overweight despite my best efforts. Are we all "stupid thickos ?

From what you have posted in the past about your drinking and eating habits you hardly seem to be a poster-child for healthy living.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 14 Nov 16 at 22:05
 Fizzy pop - Clk Sec
>> I am myself teetering on the edge of being overweight despite my best efforts.

May I respectfully recommend you try the 5/2 diet and a brisk daily walk of three miles or so, if you feel up to it.

Fizzy pop - madf

>>
>> May I respectfully recommend you try the 5/2 diet and a brisk daily walk of
>> three miles or so, if you feel up to it.

I walk over 30 miles a week - briskly. But without dieting, my weight does not change. I do, however, feel and am fitter.

I lost 4 kg this Spring by two simple things: portion control (eating less) at meals and stopping eating all biscuits and cake and inter meal snacks. After a week, my stomach shrank and it was easy.

Fizzy pop - CGNorwich
Actually I do walk on average around 3 miles a day
I seldom use a car for a journey under 2 miles . My problem is I like food and,probably more significant, wine too much.

Now taking serious action to lose those excess pounds

Fizzy pop - Duncan
>>
>> The health problems arise because stupid thickos live off cheap pizza and junk fast good.
>> The idea of actually buying fresh healthy raw ingredients and 'cooking something' instead of heating
>> up processed food or buying cheap junk from McvoMits is beyond their tiny lazy brains.
>>

If someone is born with a lower than average level of intelligence, or has a "tiny brain", then that is a accident of birth and is not their fault. It makes as much sense to criticise someone because they are 5' 3" tall instead of being 6' 3". They can't help it.

Fizzy pop - Dulwich Estate II
It seems many posters missed the " Diet Coca-Cola" and "Coke Zero" bit.

A bit acidic for some oldies' tum tums maybe, a bit rough on young teeth perhaps, but diabetes inducing, BMI increasing, fat making - well no, not at all.

PS I don't drink the stuff myself but a spot of accuracy is needed here I think.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate II on Mon 14 Nov 16 at 22:47

Fizzy pop - Dog
www.nhs.uk/news/2014/09September/Pages/Do-artificial-sweeteners-raise-diabetes-risk.aspx

Fizzy pop - CGNorwich
Perhaps you missed the fact that the offer includes their best selling seven teaspoons of sugar a can variety

Fizzy pop - John Boy
I used to have two spoons of sugar in tea and drank a lot of stuff like regular Coke. Once I stopped that, my taste buds seemed to change and I've got to the point where most soft drinks, including fruit juices, taste far too sweet.

I can taste the aspartamine in Diet Coke and all the other soft drinks which contain it - it's like drinking a chemical.

I can also taste potassium sorbate, which is used as a preservative in lots of those drinks, whether they are sweetened with sugar or aspartamine. It seems to be what gives most cakes, which are sold in shops now, that nasty, sticky quality.

Fizzy pop - Roger.
Sugar absolutely ruins a cup of tea, as does full cream milk.
 Fizzy pop - zippy
>> Sugar absolutely ruins a cup of tea, as does full cream milk.
>>

Gawd, I have up voted a Roger posting. I think I need to lie down! :-)
 Fizzy pop - John Boy
>> Gawd, I have up voted a Roger posting. I think I need to lie down!
>> :-)

So have I - I think he's right. Two or three years ago, I wouldn't have agreed where sugar is concerned, but I certainly do now.

Fizzy pop - CGNorwich
Only the cheap tannin laden tea we buy in the U.K requires sugar or milk. Green tea or a decent Darjeeling for example requires neither.

Fizzy pop - bathtub tom
a decent Darjeeling for example requires neither.

Have to disagree with you there, I think a smidge of sem-skimmed helps the flavour.

Fizzy pop - zippy
>> a decent Darjeeling for example requires neither.
>>
>> Have to disagree with you there, I think a smidge of sem-skimmed helps the flavour.
>>

I can drink Darjeeling or Earl Grey without milk quite happily but normal tea needs a little bit of skimmed or semi skinned.

I find coffee too bitter and the stuff that comes out of office vending machines is vile.

Would love a recommendation for a good coffee that is not too bitter / sour.

Fizzy pop - Dog
>>Would love a recommendation for a good coffee that is not too bitter / sour.

I give the ole woman a number 3 a few times per week, whereas I like Taylors (of York) ground stuff in a cafetiere.

lyonscoffeeuk.com/

Fizzy pop - Manatee

>> Would love a recommendation for a good coffee that is not too bitter / sour.

I get a kilo of Guatemala Decaff medium roast beans from Redber every 4-5 weeks. I get enough caffeine from tea.

goo.gl/e4C4mS

They do some mixed packs if you want to try a few.

Fizzy pop - CGNorwich
For me decaffeinated coffee falls into the same category as non alcoholic beer. It always tastes odd and I don't get the point really. Still glad you enjoy the stuff.

What do they do with the caffeine they take out? Shouldn't they give it to you free as they charge the same price for the stuff. :-)

Fizzy pop - Dog
>>I get a kilo of Guatemala Decaff medium roast beans from Redber every 4-5 weeks. I get enough caffeine from tea.

I'll give e'e a try next time. I usually drink www.taylorscoffee.co.uk/reduced-caffeine/decaffe/ which tastes the same as the full-fat version (to me)

I drink 11 cups o'tea per day!!

Fizzy pop - Ted
We was in Kendal on Saturday and had morning coffee at Farrers...an 18th century coffee house. Took the opportunity to stock up with 250 bag of their No, 1 and 250 bag of Guatamalan coffee of the month. They have a website and do mail order.

I'm not keen on instant but I rather like Azeera.... in the tin with the orange lid. They do Americano, Intenso and some others....bit different after regular Nescafe.

Fizzy pop - smokie
There's a coincidence, I was just reading a BBC article about the derivation of some surnames and it mentioned Farrer, not a name I'd heard before, but they'd put a big pic of Mo at the top.

"One of those included for the first time is Farah - a rare English name recorded with just five bearers in the 1881 Census who lived in Middlesex and northern England.

"The name was derived from the northern pronunciation of the much better known Farrer, based on the occupational name from Middle English, 'ferrour' meaning ironworker or blacksmith."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38003201

Fizzy pop - rtj70
Of course Mo Farah is from Somalia and so will surely have been named Maxamed Mukhtaar Jaamac Faarax and not Mohamed Muktar Jama Farah.

His name doesn't look very English to me in it's Somali format. His adoption of Farah no doubt Anglicises it.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 17 Nov 16 at 11:00

Fizzy pop - Duncan

Quite so.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo_Farah

Fizzy pop - Duncan
>>
>> Gawd, I have up voted a Roger posting. I think I need to lie down!
>> :-)
>>

Well, if you avoided both the silly 'thumbs up', and 'scowly face' then these things wouldn't happen!

Mr Grumpy
 Coffee Beans - mikeyb
Picked up some coffee beans in Waitrose earlier - Starbucks brand Espresso on offer at £2.50 a bag, so a decent price for reasonable coffee.

Got home and realised that if you take the empty packet to Starbucks you get a tall latte which must be worth a couple of quid so its almost like free coffee beans

Coffee Beans - devonite
I buys my beans online, grind them 50:50 (Arabica and Kenyan) makes a very palatable coffee!

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - madf
On sale from 20th November

Dashcam £39.99 www.aldi.co.uk/dashboard-camera/p/074275095571400

Lithium starter www.aldi.co.uk/lithium-car-jump-starter/p/073295070532200

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - legacylad
I've just ordered one of their botty & back warmers online in the same deal for £10. Free delivery.

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - henry k
>>Lithium starter www.aldi.co.uk/lithium-car-jump-starter/p/073295070532200
Thanks for the link.
I collected a couple of them this morning, one for me and one for my daughter.
Gives me a little more peace of mind x 2.

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - Clk Sec
>>Lithium starter www.aldi.co.uk/lithium-car-jump-starter/p/073295070532200

Are you going to give it a dummy run, Henry?

>> >>Lithium starter www.aldi.co.uk/lithium-car-jump-starter/p/073295070532200
>>
>> Are you going to give it a dummy run, Henry?
>>
I am certainly contemplating it.
Go Argos = £89.99 so a wee bit more expensive.
Costco = £72.99

I think it was a good buy x 2

N.B. When comparing prices, there is also a lower power version on the market.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJGViHtnKf0
just shows its use.

Some info about it.
As comes weighs 783g =1lb 11 5/8oz but says 0.3kg net
7500mAh, starting 200A peak 400A
It says it will start up to 3.0L petrol / 2.0 Diesel

If I give it a go it will be on a dead dead battery on a Mondeo that is equally dead.
>> Are you going to give it a dummy run, Henry?
>> I am certainly contemplating it.

I mentioned that because I read some lithium starter reviews (though not of this particular one), and while most were positive, some said that they didn't work on their motors.

And 'cause I wouldn't mind buying one myself.
;)

Sorry re delay.
As per enclosed instructions, it has been put on charge prior to use.
Started about nine hours ago. I indicates nearing full charge.
I will now unplug and continue the charge in the morning.

( Instructions say recharge every three months.)

As I type it has just reached full charge so I hope to try it out in the morning.
 ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - Duncan
>>
>> As I type it has just reached full charge so I hope to try it
>> out in the morning.
>>

If the car battery isn't flat, how will you give it a test?

Or have I not been paying attention - again?

The patient has a flat flat battery and has not turned a piston for many months.
It was a good runner prior to when I SORNed it and is in need of a flat bed to give it a lift to its crushing end.

So not a definitive test but I await the outcome.

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - Manatee
I wouldn't expect the lithium pack to start a car with a flat flat battery, much less one that has been standing for months.

My indy friend carries one, a bit more powerful than those. It will start a car that just hasn't enough juice to crank, but not a dead'un.

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - CGNorwich
I don't think I have driven a car that failed to start in the morning for over fifteen years . Batteries go on for a very long time these days and as long as you change them at the first aigns of decline then you are fairly safe from starting problems
If the worst comes to the worst then call your breakdown service. I wouldn't mess around with battery packs.

>> If the worst comes to the worst then call your breakdown service. I wouldn't mess
>> around with battery packs.

They seem a good idea to me. What if you discovered that your battery was flat when you had your root canal appointment, and your breakdown service didn't arrive for an hour.

I bet that would have cost you far more than you would have paid for one of Henry's lithium starters.

>>
>> They seem a good idea to me. What if you discovered that your battery was
>> flat when you had your root canal appointment, and your breakdown service didn't arrive for
>> an hour.
>>
>> I bet that would have cost you far more than you would have paid for
>> one of Henry's lithium starters.
>>

Well actually I walked there and back.

And if I was a desperate hurry to get somewhere by car and mine would not start I would call a taxi rather than faffing about with a battery pack!

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - Pat
>> to get somewhere by car and mine would not start I would call a taxi rather than faffing about with a battery pack!
<<

You've led a priveleged and sheltered life CG:)

Don't you realise the car only ever refuses to start when you haven't got the money to pay for a taxi?

Putting plugs in oven...

Pouring a kettle of boiling water over the battery to try and warm into life....

The sack if you didn't turn in for work on time....

Oh, how the other half live!

Pat

All I'm saying Pat is that £10 spent on a taxi would be the more sensible solution to the problem Crankcase outlined rather that spending time messing about with a £50 gadget that may or may not work.

And I am sure you would do the same. And don't tell me you have never got a taxi,

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - mikeyb
>> All I'm saying Pat is that £10 spent on a taxi would be the more
>> sensible solution to the problem Crankcase outlined rather that spending time messing about with a
>> £50 gadget that may or may not work.
>>
>> And I am sure you would do the same. And don't tell me you have
>> never got a taxi,

I would agree, however, I have a friend who has managed to have a flat battery twice in the last month.....and has called me both times.

Battery is OK, she just has a habit of leaving the lights on for half an hour while she pops into the shops plus her kids often play with the interior lights and leave them on. Shes not mechanically useless so I reckon she could use one of these

A car which turns off the lights automatically might be a better bet. Don't most cars do that now?

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - mikeyb
>> A car which turns off the lights automatically might be a better bet. Don't most
>> cars do that now?
>>

Not sure TBH - the Lexus lights are auto so I don't really pay attention, although when I had them manually turned on the other day it did bleep and warn me to turn them off.

Her car is a 2007 Jazz which she was given by MIL

>> rather that spending time messing about with a £50 gadget that may or may not work.
No TIC ?

FYI Jump starters have been around for many years and work well.
Recently they have been "re engineered" and redesigned to use the latest much much smaller lighter Lithium batteries.
I have bought one of these units for my own "insurance"
it was bought for emergency use.
By chance I also have the opportunity to try in out on a car that I am scrapping.
Some members are interested in what I find.

>>I would agree, however, I have a friend who has managed to have a flat battery twice in the last month.....and has called me both times.
>>Battery is OK, she just has a habit of leaving the lights on for half an hour while she pops into the shops etc.
>> Shes not mechanically useless so I reckon she could use one of these.
My daughter works some night shifts.
She usually commutes by train but sometimes needs the car.
It is often parked in the road, unused for weeks so one of these jump starters is ideal especially as it is only the size of a smart phone plus she also lives in a top floor flat .
I have had to rescue her a few times so buying her one of these is a win win result.

>>- CGNorwich
>>A car which turns off the lights automatically might be a better bet.
>> Don't most cars do that now?
My ancient Fords switched to side lights when the engine is stopped.
It is very obvious that many cars can park with dipped beams on.
 ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - Crankcase
>> All I'm saying Pat is that £10 spent on a taxi would be the more
>> sensible solution to the problem Crankcase outlined...

Did I? You've confused me. Getting old and unable to comprehend much I know, but I thought the last thing I said in here was some usual twaddle about phones.

Only some of that is joking. I'm planning early retirement next year not least in part because I can't keep up with my colleagues in any field any more, from remembering to actually go to meetings to having a clue what they're talking about if I get there. But that's by the by.

Apologies - It was ClkSec. I was going from memory which is increasingly a bad idea. Now wher did I leave my glasses?

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - Zero

>>
>> I can't keep up with my colleagues in any field any more, from
>> remembering to actually go to meetings to having a clue what they're talking about if
>> I get there. But that's by the by.

I suspect that what you mean is "Being a pragmatic type, I have now reached the stage where I can't take all the corporate bullsheet any more"

>> I suspect that what you mean is "Being a pragmatic type, I have now reached
>> the stage where I can't take all the corporate bullsheet any more"
>>

Actually I almost wish that were so, but in my little corner of academia the corporate monster is still only just pawing at the windows. It's really still is rather genteel and quaint. I even really do get a free lunch, and I really do have a croquet lawn right outside my office and a bowling green in the next garden over. But its days are limited, true, while we play reluctant but unavoidable catch up with the outside world.

But no, in this case, it's me. Can't really focus or concentrate or understand or remember stuff anymore. Time to go.

>> But no, in this case, it's me. Can't really focus or concentrate or understand or
>> remember stuff anymore. Time to go.

Ah well you need to go on a pre retirement bumbling buffoons course and then take the eccentrics masters degree. Think you will do very well.

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - Runfer D'Hills
How about a complete career change? Oh I dunno, maybe a bicycle repair shop business or something? ;-)

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - Pat
Yes, I have taken a taxi.

Your suburban solution of a taxi is a good one.

In the Fen, finding one to take you to work at 2.30am on a Tuesday morning is impossible:)

My answer to the problem would be to buy a new heavy duty battery, cheaper and more reliable in the long run.

Pat

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - bathtub tom
>>My answer to the problem would be to buy a new heavy duty battery, cheaper and more reliable in the long run.

You've got the mice, there should be plenty of pumpkins around this time of year. Couldn't you find a fairy godmother?

>> My answer to the problem would be to buy a new heavy duty battery, cheaper and more reliable in the long run.
>>
This is the obvious precaution to take but I have in addition paid a one off £50 insurance in the form of a jump starter.
It seems that modern batteries often give little warning of failure so perhaps a new battery every two or three years?
Hands up who is going to adopt that approach.

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - Dog
I have an unused spare battery. Good one too, one of these: www.yuasa.co.uk/ybx5005.html

I stuck it on my Forester last year but it started *leaking LSD (acid) so I took it orf and replaced it with an Exide.

*Turns out I'd forgot to remove the two little plastic plugs fitted in the top of the Yuasa :}

No need. Because of the high loads imposed on them, especially in Diesel engines, batteries do seem to fail suddenly. However any deterioration will be revealed if you have the battery load tested. Just ask your garage to test your battery when the car is serviced. The much maligned Kwik Fit will do it for free.

>> battery every two or three years?
>> Hands up who is going to adopt that approach.
>>

I change mine every 5 years, although my last one expired just before the end of it's 3 year guarantee.

I'm going to order one of these starters from Aldi, so my thanks to Henry for the information he's provided.

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - sooty123
perhaps a new
>> battery every two or three years?
>> Hands up who is going to adopt that approach.

I don't think anyone, I'd have to go back more than 10 years to the last time I had to change a battery.

>> I don't think anyone, I'd have to go back more than 10 years to the
>> last time I had to change a battery.
>>

I think you might have changed your batteries more frequently if you ran your cars for as long as I do.

My current Japanese barge, now in its 15th year, is on its 4th battery, including one free replacement as mentioned above.

>> I think you might have changed your batteries more frequently if you ran your cars
>> for as long as I do.
>>
>> My current Japanese barge, now in its 15th year, is on its 4th battery, including
>> one free replacement as mentioned above.
>>

Well our current two are 10 and 13 years old last car i sold was 12 years old, and that's typical. So not quite 15 years old but I do have an idea of knocking about in older cars.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 25 Nov 16 at 14:47

>> Well our current two are 10 and 13 years old last car i sold was
>> 12 years old, and that's typical. So not quite 15 years old but I do
>> have an idea of knocking about in older cars.
>>

Ah, I think that I've mistaken you for someone else. Had you down as one of the luxury LEC owning international businessmen hereabouts, who keep their cars for a mere couple of years or so.
;)

Ah, I think that I've mistaken you for someone else. Had you down as one of the luxury LEC owning international businessmen hereabouts, who keep their cars for a mere couple of years or so.
>> ;)
>>

No such luxuries here ;)

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - Runfer D'Hills
Ahem, cough, splutter...

5 years and 200k miles you mean ! It's tough in the lower middle classes you know. We have to wash our own cars and everything, no one appreciates us, everything is our fault, you can't grudge us a bit of leather and a sunroof surely?

;-)

Your story has touched my heart, Runfer.

Welcome back.
;)

you can't grudge us a bit of leather and a sunroof
>> surely?
>>
>> ;-)

Of course not, the former is no doubt helpful when wiping down the sick from those (still travel sick) kids off the 2.00 am malaga flight and the latter helpful in getting rid of the smell.

;-)

>> I think you might have changed your batteries more frequently if you ran your cars
>> for as long as I do.

For gods sake man, your battery OCDism is well known throughout these parts. The lancer is at 9 years on its original battery. Ran a Renault,t A RENAULT FOR CHISTSSAKE to 8 years on its original battery.

Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 26 Nov 16 at 17:39

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - madf
The originual Yuasa battery on my (Japan built) Jazz lasted 10 years. Its Bosch replacemnt failed after 3.75 years just within warranty. ECP who sold the Bosch to me were amazed I still had the receipt.

Made in Germany? Expensive junk.

>>FOR CHISTSSAKE

I really was wondering just how many times I'd need to mention my battery on this thread before you'd bite.

Do keep up, old chap.

>>, how the other half live!

My thoughts exactly.

;-)

>> >>, how the other half live!
>>
>> My thoughts exactly.
>>
>> ;-)

Mine, too. I'm surprised that our friend from Norwich doesn't have a chauffeur.
tic

I do. He drives a double decker.

Ah, CG, you shall now forever be in my mind as Blakey.

I 'ate you Crankcase.
That's not very nice, Blakey!
>> I wouldn't expect the lithium pack to start a car with a flat flat battery,
>> much less one that has been standing for months.
>>
You are probably right. It is all I have to try it out on.
I will give it a go, recharge it and repeat.

Ist result.
A very impressive amount of engine turn over.
I guess not enough to get stale petrol through.
So a warm battery pack is back on charge
with the LED indicators showing the expected poor charge state.

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - Manatee
Sounds as if it might be worth having. Is it outside with clap cold oil as well?

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - Ted
>> Sounds as if it might be worth having. Is it outside with clap cold oil
>> as well?
>> Being part of my job over the last 20 yrs or so, I would only trust my heavy duty jump leads. I made them out of Rover P6 battery cable with some seriously vicious clamps that you wouldn't want anywhere near your naughty bits ! I was supplied with a 1000amp portapack by the firm which I kept on charge in the boot of the jeep but I can't recollect ever managing to fire up a cold car with it.

People buy garage jump leads at £1.99 and then wonder why they don't work.

I wouldn't rely on one of these little things but if you want one, Lidl are doing them as well with 2 USB ports for £35

- - - Tedward .. avez vous ever carried out a 24v start on a 12v vehicle?

Not on modern carp of course but, back in the olde days I used to get called out to a lotta stuff in winter which hadn't been started for yonks. No compression at all on some of 'em, like. I used to jump 'em from my big leisure/lorry battery using propa snap-on jump leads but, remove the earth lead from said car, put my + jump lead on the - battery - post, and my - jump lead on the cars engine block and ... whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

New plugs etc. and some easystart down the venturi and we soon had the ole crate going!!

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - Ted

Dogward , me ole pal . Can't rembeeber but I do rembeeber starting a 24V coach from cold with a 12V.... or rather 14.5 running engine....blast. usually a bit of EasyStart helped but diesels didn't half rattle ! I've been using EasyStart recently just to kick off the Jowett as the choke cables aren't attached yet.

I wonder, if you carried a can around with you, you could knock out a mugger....love to try, it is Ether.

>>I wonder, if you carried a can around with you, you could knock out a mugger....love to try, it is Ether.

I'll try it on the neighbs cat and let you know howl it goes :)

ALdi Dashcam and Lithium Starter - bathtub tom
>>I wonder, if you carried a can around with you, you could knock out a mugger....love to try, it is Ether.

Years ago I came across a distressed girl walking a labrador. The dog had a hedgehog in its mouth and wouldn't let go. I was on my way to a flying field with my diesel engine powered model plane. I put a liberal dose of engine fuel (probably ether based) in the palm of my hand and held it over the dog's nose, the dogs legs eventually went wobbly and we were able to prise its jaws open enough to release the hedgehog. Don't know what happened to either animal.

Poundland pressure cooker - maltrap
Why does my post about Poundland pressure cookers keep disappearing ?
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 19 Nov 16 at 16:04

Poundland pressure cooker - madf
>> Why does my post about Poundland pressure cookers keep disappearing ?
>>
>>

www.poundland.co.uk/offers/black-friday/russell-hobbs-4-litre-pressure-cooker
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 19 Nov 16 at 16:05

Poundland pressure cooker - VxFan
>> Why does my post about Poundland pressure cookers keep disappearing ?

1. It had nothing to do with ALDI, dashcams & lithium starters.
2. I tried moving it to the correct part of the thread as you'd taken no notice of the Please Note request at the start of this thread.
3. In doing so it got lost somewhere in cyberspace.
4. Had you'd done what the Please Note request had asked then we wouldn't be having this conversation right now!
5. Had I'd been more patient and waited to move it via my desktop PC instead of my iPad it probably would have still been here.
6. Now I'm at my desktop, I've now moved it to the correct place, changed the subject header to reflect the subject you're wanting to tell people about, and tidied up this thread.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 19 Nov 16 at 16:07

Car air fresheners - legacylad
Not that mine smells or anything, but here's a handy tip. Get a wooden peg, or two, add a few drops of your favourite concentrated essence, allow to soak in, then clip onto a vent. Works for me!
In the sauna at my local gym I add a few drops of eucalyptus to the water. Clears my nasal passages when I have a cold. Smells nice too. As does my car.
All I need now is a small dangling koala from the rear view mirror

Car air fresheners - Dog
If y'all didn't drink so much real ale, and eat so many curries, LL, praps yoos wouldn't need an air freshener.

Just saying.

:}

Funny you should say that, but having been born in Bradford, curries are in my jeans ( arf arf)
Had 4 this week! Whilst spending 7 hours in Harrogate on Monday ( a friend was in for day surgery & unable to drive) I bought a chicken jalfrezi from Sainsburys for dinner. Weds night we went to a curry house in Settle. Thursday night I ate the leftovers of my friends curries. Last night we had a CAMRA party at my local as it is shortly to change hands, friends stayed over and we had another curry!
My one & only annual Xmas meal today ( Xmas Day we go to the Royal Spice for a curry. None of that cooking malarkey) at the Helwith Bridge pub. £15 for 3 courses and a huge cheeseboard. And a shuttle home in the evening by the landlord all part of the package... 15+ of us.
But first a brisk ten miler over the tops to sharpen the appetite and blow away the cobwebs. We still have snow over a thousand feet so it will be a cold walk, windy too.
A bientot
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 20 Nov 16 at 10:03

Car air fresheners - Dog
I used to make my own curries back in the 1970's - 1 Ib of mince, a tin of Batchelors diced mixed veg, some curry powder, all served with some easy-cook white rice.

You remind me of my late brother very much LL. He was divorced too, loved his beer (with friends) frequenting many beer festivals both home and 'abroad'.

I know you've had your ups and downs in life, what with one thing and another but, but I reckon in the final analysis, life's been good to you so far.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXWvKDSwvls

Quite so. I wholeheartedly agree. One major medical 'episode' several years ago led to enforced inactivity brought on by working too hard. Since then a succession of very interesting jobs, albeit lowly paid but within walking distance of ChezLL. I have a wonderful social life, with friends both retired & still working very hard to pay the bills. I live in a stunning part of the world, lots of friends of both sexes, a few current health issues, especially the past 6 months, but nowt to stop me enjoying life.
I'm not stuck in a relationship I can't get out of without huge financial upset ( I started all over again at 42 & 58) and I count my blessings most days.
Bring it on...
 Car air fresheners - Dog
>>I live in a stunning part of the world

Don't we all effendi, don't we all ;)

I was born in Manningham, Bradford . Them spiralled down to Keighley
The only stunning is when some scroat tazers you whilst they nick your car

My school motto was '' Aim low, expect nothing, don't be disappointed''.
Pretty accurate as it happens....
But at least I can afford two air freshener pegs
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 20 Nov 16 at 22:28

Car air fresheners - NortonES2
Toller Lane. You may know it. Luckily peripatetic after that: Army brat. 7 years abroad. Edification at 12 schools, eventually University. By fluke.

Toller Lane. Like the back of my hand! Little Lane Scouts (9th Bfd West). Lilycroft Nursery, Infants & Junior Schools. A big tree in the middle of the pavement called Ghandi. Elite cinema.
I lived in a tiny terrace down St Chads Road. Real posh because it wasn't a ' back to back' terrace like my grandparents house at t'top of Kensington Street
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 21 Nov 16 at 17:34

Car air fresheners - Fullchat
My Grandparents and father lived on Toller Lane. The Hare & Hounds was the daily watering hole of my Grandfather to his final days. In fact he was such a regular when he didn't turn up on a couple of occasions the landlord went to check up on him and found he had taken a tumble. Guy called Madeley brother of Leeds player Paul Madeley if I remember correctly.

Had my ( family) 18th at the H & H. Finger buffet for friends & relatives. Salem Rugby Club just down Heaton Rd where I turned out for the Thirds. 40 years on it has changed a lot! Happy says.

Car air fresheners - NortonES2
Had a look at the area on Google maps. Left for Germany, BAOR, when I was 5, so memories limited! Opposite Grandma's house on Toller Lane was a boulevard which is still there. In our time there were still the remains of air-raid shelters visible. After staying with the fierce Grandma, we went to Walmer Villas, near Lumb Lane. I walked to Green Lane school. Not really advisable now? Off to Osnabruck, where we had the luxury of being off-rations. Billeted on a family opposite the gates to Roberts barracks. They were consigned to the 3rd floor. We had the middle and the RSM had the ground floor. Frau Gartmund made jams and preserves in the basement with produce from the garden. No slacking there! Highlight was the ignominious mangling of the barracks gate by a tank which misjudged the turn off Andernetteheide in the snow. Tank damage to the roads caused a few problems, so presumably the 17/21 Lancers had a quick run-out when the chance came.

Car air fresheners - Dog
I was fortunate in living above the Law: preview.tinyurl.com/jp6crbn

Cheap Flights to LA - May 2017 - hjd
May be of interest to legacylad?
Flying with Thomas Cook from Manchester in May 2017. 24 hour sale.
www.thomascookairlines.com/en/book-plan/special-offers/flash-sales.jsp?utm_source=affilinet&utm_medium=AFF&utm_campaign=385281

Cheap Flights to LA - May 2017 - legacylad
Thanks for that. Great offer if you want to visit LA, maybe on a road trip around the SW states... Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico?
Friends of mine flew out to Vegas from Manchester yesterday, BA holidays, 7 nights at the MGM Grand with 14 buffet meals included. £529 each. Bargain.

Latest Forum Posts