Non-motoring > Bargains Thread - Volume 19   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 105

Bargains Thread - Volume 19 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 20 *****

=============================================================

More bargains !

Post links in here of any offers/bargains that you come across. Need not be motoring but motoring related is of course welcome.

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 18 can be found HERE

Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 9 Jul 17 at 19:54

Nilfisk pressure washer - Dog
£69 reduced from £112

preview.tinyurl.com/zvb78df

Finlux TV - Dog
Blimey! .. y'all gotta be quick with these 'ere cyber deals on Amazon. I was looking at (a bargain) 32" fool HD Finlux (didn't know they still made 'em) TV for 189 knicker. Looked 3 mins layder and it's gorn already Freddy!
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 28 Nov 16 at 09:56

Finlux TV - CGNorwich
I just checked and it was still there at £189. Re checked and still there but now £234.

He who hesitates is lost.

www.amazon.co.uk/Finlux-32FMD290B-P--inch-1080-pixels/dp/B01LXMH50S/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1480323223&sr=1-2

Finlux TV - rtj70
£199 here:

finlux.co.uk/tv-32fmd290b-p

Never heard of them myself.

Finlux TV - Falkirk Bairn
>>I was looking at (a bargain) 32" fool HD Finlux (didn't know they still made 'em) TV for 189 knicker. Looked 3 mins layder and it's gorn already Freddy!

Finlux WERE a quite highly regarded TV manufacturer 20-40 years ago. They went bust/ got out of TVs many many years ago.

Finlux today is a Brand name of some Turkish Electronics Company - they may/may not be a quality product but appearently nothing to do with Finland.

Finlux TV - CGNorwich
Finlux today is a Brand name of some Turkish Electronics Company -

Owned by Vestel who also own the Servis brand.

Finlux TV - mikeyb

>> Owned by Vestel who also own the Servis brand.
>>

Dont Vestel make all the cheap supermarket TV's?

Finlux TV - Dog
>>I just checked and it was still there at £189. Re checked and still there but now £234.

>>He who hesitates is lost.

The Hurley bird catches the worms!

>>Finlux WERE a quite highly regarded TV manufacturer 20-40 years ago. They went bust/ got out of TVs many many years ago

>>Finlux today is a Brand name of some Turkish Electronics Company

Say n'more squire - best stick to Panasonic/Sony.

Finlux TV - nice but dim
"Panasonic"

You might want to check that "Made In" sticker next time you buy squire

According to Wikipedia, Vestel make equipment under license for Panasonic / varies by countr.

A lot of other well known brands on the list.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestel#Subsidiary_brands

I cant see why they would be any different from any other brand, my £300 40" Sharp (bought from Bestbuy, just as they went bust) is coming up to 6 years old. That was most likely made there.

Finlux TV - Falkirk Bairn
>>ou might want to check that "Made In" sticker next time you buy squire

Low end Panasonic 32/40 's are often Turkish made & can be differentiated from the rest of the Panasonic Range by
1) Made in XXX

2) Different Remote Control codes - Try Remote from a Posh Panasonic on el cheapo - does not work - whilst window shopping in Currys before going home & buying on-line

Finlux TV - Dog
>>"Panasonic" You might want to check that "Made In" sticker next time you buy squire

Cheers nbd. My 5 year old 42" Panasonic plasma was assembled in the Czech republic. My good old Lumix FZ200 was made in Japan, like my Forester, but my little Lumix TZ80 was made in China.

I'd prefer to buy Jap stuff which is actually made in the land of the rising Yen.

*If* I was going to buy a new TV, I'd probably go back to high-end Sony, regardless of where they were assembled.

Finlux TV - nice but dim
No worries Dog, I used to be skeptical / choosy where possible.

Long time buyer of German made metal I was / never major issues even north of 100k miles - more wear tear.

Turned to Japanese almost a decade ago, two of the 4 since were made in Holland (Mitsubishi) and UK (Toyota) - again no major issues.

Finlux TV - R.P.
Miele built in Microwaves are made in the former Sharp factory in er...Wrexham from parts imported from various sources - mainly China and Taiwan.

Finlux TV - Stuartli
Some Miele kitchen appliances were, or still may be, manufactured on its behalf by another quality manufacturer, Liebherr.

Finlux TV - Stuartli
You're probably thinking of Turkish firm Vestel, who've made or make OEM TVs for a variety of manufacturers, including Hitachi in the past.

Beko is another well know Turkish company (kitchen appliances).

Nowt wrong with most Korean stuff and Sony have tied up with Samsung in the past with a TV panel manufacturing plant - Sony checked out Samsung quality for around six months after it first went into production due to doubts, but finally conceded that the panels were top class.

Sony Xperia X - Manatee
£320 today on Amazon, down from £500. I would have ordered one to replace my smashed Z5 Premium, but I bought a Huwaei P9 a couple of days ago. Very happy with it so far, fortunately.

amzn.eu/7vECB4j

Coke. All varieties (exc. the powdered stuff) - VxFan
On offer again at Tesco until 03/01/2017

£5 for a 24 pack, instead of £7

www.tesco.com/groceries/specialoffers/specialofferdetail/?promoId=A32107807
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 18 Dec 16 at 19:10

Wines at Tesco - smokie
Some significant savings on certain wines. Especially sparkling and champers. There is a champers at £8. Click the Christmas drinks link from the main grocery shopping page. Only till tomorrow

Wines at Tesco - mikeyb
I've just come back from my local Tesco Express - they have changed the self serve tills so that they have a jingling sleigh bell sound when you scan, and santo going Ho Ho Ho! every time you bag something........

Mildly amused me for my one item, but as I walked away and I could hear all the tills doing it I thought it must drive you mad if you work there.

Wines at Tesco - Pat
I had my Tesco home grocery delivery made yesterday by a very festive snowman!

He's 17 stone and 6' 5'' and the suit was a little tight:)

Pat

Wines at Tesco - Bobby
Out of curiosity, are supermarket home delivery drivers allowed to accept tips do you know?

Wines at Tesco - Roger.
>> Out of curiosity, are supermarket home delivery drivers allowed to accept tips do you know?
>>
Who is going to tell?

We tipped our post-lady a fiver - she is great : we also gave our dustmen (un-PC term, I know) a tenner to share between them - they are great, too and move like greased lightning when collecting and returning the bins,

We are lucky in having good and cheerful service from all of them.

Wines at Tesco - Ted

I gave a tenner each to the milkman, Billy, and Steve the postman who used to be our paper boy. Had a card from our current paperboy so might drop him a fiver round at the shop.
Won't bother with the bin men until they start leaving the bins outside the house and not up the road somewhere. They haven't done it yet !

Wines at Tesco - rtj70
>> Won't bother with the bin men until they start leaving the bins outside the house and not up
>> the road somewhere. They haven't done it yet !

There's one of our bin men I'd not tip. Smashes bins into the wall and damage it. Goes down the street and empties green bins into a single bin (making a heck of a mess) so he can get ahead and smoke his e-cig in the road. And then leaves your bin in some random place at times too (e.g. he started with your bin to tip the others into).

Maybe I should post the video on Youtube.

Wines at Tesco - Stuartli
>>There's one of our bin men I'd not tip.>>

The bin men in the Sefton MBC area earn a very substantial annual bonus for working throughout public holidays, Christmas and New Year etc, so they don't get any tips from me nor the majority of residents.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 19 Dec 16 at 00:56

Wines at Tesco - sooty123
I don't tip the posty because I've no idea who they are, i don't remember ever having seen them. The post seems to come at random times each day. We've not got a post boy or milkman in the area.

Maplin - R/C mains sockets ..... - Haywain
I note that Maplin have their 'remote control mains sockets, 5-pack' on offer again at £19.99.

www.maplin.co.uk/p/remote-controlled-mains-sockets-5-pack-n38hn

I was recommended these by a friend some 4 or 5 years ago, and we've found them extremely useful.Three sockets are in constant use in the lounge to power 3 reading/table lamps and they are programmed to respond to one channel on the controller; this saves scrambling about operate the switches behind the settee/sideboard/coffee table. We've another switch in use at the moment to supply all the Christmas lights via a multi-socket extension lead.

We've, in turn, recommended these to friends similarly afflicted with dodgy backs; they too are impressed.

TRIPLE QX Concentrated Screenwash Apple - mikeyb
Just spotted on HUKD

Triple QX Concentrated All Season Screenwash at Eurocarparts

-15 so should be OK for those of us in the south ;-)

Use code MEGAXMAS to reduce price to £2.34
Free delivery / Free click & collect
 TRIPLE QX Concentrated Screenwash Apple - CGNorwich
It's cheap because winter is over now - We are now in the Gray Sky and Rainy Season which will take us through to June.

TRIPLE QX Concentrated Screenwash Apple - sooty123
I thought winter starts in December?

No matter, I always buy a few when they are cheap and they do for the year.

TRIPLE QX Concentrated Screenwash Apple - Stuartli
>>I thought winter starts in December?>>

It does (or rather did) on December 21st...:-)

Read about the Winter Solstice at:

www.telegraph.co.uk/christmas/0/winter-solstice-2016-shortest-day-year-time/

Future dates:

greenwichmeantime.com/longest-day/equinox-solstice-2010-2019/
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 1 Jan 17 at 13:24

Bushmills Original Irish Whiskey. - Roger.
Just bought 3 X 70 cl bottles of Bushmills for £15 a bottle, from Tesco's (brand match to Morrison's offer)

Jim Beam - Manatee
£13 for 70cl. in Asda. Seemed cheap to me. Not bad (if you like bourbon), unremarkable but drinkable.

Jim Beam - Manatee
Postscript - I bought it in Worksop last week. Isn't that your territory Roger? Tidy little town, I liked it. It has a Greenwood's menswear (I thought they disappeared years ago), a Max Spielmann's (ditto) and a remainder bookshop where I got Winkle Brown's autobiography for £3.

Most amazingly, it has TWO Greggses. Unfortunately I have nothing to say to Greggs since they sold me a freshly baked hot Cornish-style pasty with a frozen centre when I was marooned in Aylesbury once.

Jim Beam - CGNorwich
"Most amazingly, it has TWO Greggses"

That seems a great way to rate towns. Not sure I want to visit a three Greggs town though. ;-)

Jim Beam - Clk Sec
>>Not sure I want to visit a three Greggs town though. ;-)

Nor me, as I already buy one or two of their veggie pasties almost every time I walk past our (one only) local Greggs shop.

I must have bought hundreds over the years. Mrs CS likes their sausage rolls, too.

Jim Beam - CGNorwich
My favourite sausage roll is black pudding and chorizo they sell down my favourite cafe, The Expresso in Norwich. They also do a nice venison one?

Does that make me middle class? ;-)

Jim Beam - Crankcase
>> Does that make me middle class? ;-)

I hope the Cafe Expresso sells espresso.

Anyway, this is middle class. Do you qualify?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtn1a-7TnOE

Jim Beam - CGNorwich
I hope the Cafe Expresso sells espresso.

It does actually and very good express at that.

And the cafe IS called the Expresso.

I knew soemone would pick up on that spelling ;-)

expresso-online.co.uk

No mustard cords I'm afraid. Do like good food though.

Jim Beam - Crankcase
No no, CG, I knew it was the right name for the cafe because I looked online at their menu. But they don't there mention the coffees in detail.

Mind you, that is a pretty extensive menu, I have to say. I think we'll give it a whirl next time we come to see the Munnings.

Jim Beam - mikeyb

>> I must have bought hundreds over the years. Mrs CS likes their sausage rolls, too.
>>

I used to like their sausage rolls until a chance conversation in the pub with an acquaintance. He had recently changed jobs and was working for a food additives firm - his major project was working with Gregg's to use additives so they could reduce the meat content but make it taste the same. The % meat contets he quoted were quite shocking
 Jim Beam - Clk Sec
>> >> Mrs CS likes their sausage rolls, too.
>>The % meat contets

She's just informed me that she hasn't bought one for a couple of years now, and it's likely to be some time before she buys another.

Thanks, mike.

Jim Beam - VxFan
>> Mrs CS likes their sausage rolls, too.

I much prefer the ones sold at Cornish Bakehouse.

Jim Beam - Bromptonaut
>> Postscript - I bought it in Worksop last week. Isn't that your territory Roger? Tidy
>> little town, I liked it. It has a Greenwood's menswear (I thought they disappeared years
>> ago), a Max Spielmann's (ditto)

In my youth Greenwoods were headquartered in Guiseley, about 2 doors down from Harry Ramsdens. Now in Bradford IIRC. We have one in Northampton - good for leisure shirts and a few other bits/bobs.

Max Spielman went under but were rescued and are now a sub brand of Timpsons.

Jim Beam - Stuartli
>>..a Max Spielmann's (ditto)...>>

We've had a branch in my NW resort for decades - in fact the film processing plant used to be situated on the Wirral where it was founded by the Graham family before a move to Leeds.

The Greenwood's store closed down (like so many retail outlets here) some years ago, but there are still branches within a 10 or 15 mile radius.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 24 Jan 17 at 22:16

Jim Beam - bathtub tom
Pedant alert!

>>on the Wirral

My cousin, who lived on Wirral, always maintained you don't refer to 'the London' or 'the Manchester', but you may refer to it as 'the Wirral peninsular'.

Jim Beam - CGNorwich
He's definitely in the minority. According tho this survey by a local paper 73% would use "on the Wirral"

www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/wirral-vs-wirral---see-7397809

Jim Beam - Stuartli
The local council is the Metropolitan Borough of Wirral or Wirral Council for short.

Always known it as The Wirral and never heard it referred to specifically as the Wirral Peninsula.

Even the tourist website is in agreement!

www.visitwirral.com/

Led rechargable work lamp - henry k
www.clasohlson.com/uk/4-W-LED-Work-Light/36-4272?gclid=CIS0pt6s8dECFU-T7QodZYkKyw

£8. I have had one for years. It creates a beam from the LEDs

Led torch powered by 3 x AA batteries - henry k
For several years I have kept one of these in the car boot.
24LEDs and less than £4 ( plus batteries)

Links to Amazon

tinyurl.com/jc9dj5a

tinyurl.com/zy2gjla

I guess the alternative, but much lower powe,r is a wind up torch.

Bombay Sapphire Gin 1 Ltr - Clk Sec
Hoping to pick one up from Sainsbury's tomorrow:

www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/bombay-sapphire-gin-1l

Bombay Sapphire Gin 1 Ltr - Roger.
That is a good price for "blue gin". We used to buy it for around £7 to £8 in Morrison's.

..In Gibraltar :-)

Bombay Sapphire Gin 1 Ltr - Bobby
Did that Morrisons used to be a Safeway??

Bombay Sapphire Gin 1 Ltr - Roger.
>> Did that Morrisons used to be a Safeway??
>>
Yes.

Bombay Sapphire Gin 1 Ltr - Clk Sec
>> Hoping to pick one up from Sainsbury's tomorrow:

The 1 Ltr size is on offer again at Sainsbury's at £20. I picked one up earlier this morning.

20p/litre discount - bathtub tom
Driving along the A489 through Churchstoke, I stopped to fill up at Harry Tuffin's (petrol £120.9p/l). There was a sign up advertising 20p a litre off fuel if you spent sixty quid inside.

Does anyone know the area well enough to say if that's a bargain, or are the prices inside inflated to to pay for this substantial discount?

20p/litre discount - Bromptonaut
Cheapest I've seen in last week or so is 117.7 for diesel at (a) Asda MK/Bletchley and (b) Morrisons at Cribbs Causeway. In both cases I think unleaded was 115.9.

Northampton - no local Asda with fuel - Sains/Tesco/Morrisons all on £1.21 u/l £1.23diesel.

Friend in Leeds reported Morrisons offering 20p litre off fuel (starting price £1.20 ish) with a family shop sized spend in store. May have been a local only offer to get shoppers in store as they're in tight competition with adjacent newly opened Aldi.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 25 Feb 17 at 17:48

20p/litre discount - mikeyb
>> Cheapest I've seen in last week or so is 117.7 for diesel at (a) Asda
>> MK/Bletchley and (b) Morrisons at Cribbs Causeway. In both cases I think unleaded was 115.9.
>>

There is a costco a junction down from Cribbs Causeway (Avonmouth). They added a fuel station last year, and so far its always cheaper than the local offerings, although not sure if its cheap enough to justify the membership fee in its own right.

I filled up there on Thursday and paid 1.139 for UL. Diesel was 1.149.

I guess if you do enough miles and its on the way then maybe its worth it, but for me I just always fill up when I'm there or passing

20p/litre discount - Roger.
We had a trip up the A1M and A1 (from Blyth Services junction toJ47 for LBA) this a.m. and I was quite surprised to see unleaded at £121.9 at a non-motorway service area Shell station. That's only a penny or so more than our local Sainsbury's was a couple of days go. Mostly the fuel prices are much more on this stretch.,

20p/litre discount - Bromptonaut
>> There is a costco a junction down from Cribbs Causeway (Avonmouth).

Not local to area; needed a fill up en route Northampton to Torpoint.

Morrisons (or Asda) at Cribbs are easier to access from M5 than some services (eg Exeter) and nigh on 20p/litre cheaper....

Chocolate Digestive biscuits McV - sherlock47
Tescos - proper McV
500gm £1.14
250gm £1.50

(last week 250gm £1.00)

Slimmers diet is always more costly!
Or is it using the dealers schoolgate tactic of get the punter hooked and then increase the price?

EE Sim only deal - Bobby
£19.99 per month
20gb data
unlimited mins / texts
500mb euro roaming
12 month contract

free £100 Amazon voucher
free 3 months BT Sport
6 months free Apple music

and £35 cashback through Quidco!

TRIPLE QX Concentrated Screenwash All Season (5l) - smokie
£2.44

tinyurl.com/j2cpmeh

Use code WEEKEND30

Free delivery

Choccy biccies - Dog
I don't normally faff about with shopping and the price of Kippers etc. etc. but, the ole woman reckons she bought a jumbo pack [500g] of McVities Digestives (in Tesco's) for £1.14 whereas they wanted £1.50 for the ordinary size.

Also, she paid £2 for a box of Lapsang Souchong in ASDA whereas Tesco's wanted £3.29.

Note What an exciting life we lead :o

Choccy biccies - mikeyb
>> I don't normally faff about with shopping and the price of Kippers etc. etc. but,
>> the ole woman reckons she bought a jumbo pack [500g] of McVities Digestives (in Tesco's)
>> for £1.14 whereas they wanted £1.50 for the ordinary size.
>>
>> Also, she paid £2 for a box of Lapsang Souchong in ASDA whereas Tesco's wanted
>> £3.29.

Sorry to shatter peoples preconceptions of Waitrose, but said digestives are £1.09 a pack or 2 for £1.90
www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=31064

Not sure on your qty of Lapsang Souchong but 50 bags is £1.42
www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=442968

Or a box of the loose stuff is £1.01
www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=13299

I think supermarkets have now got clever in that they all run different offers so it makes it very difficult to compare across a trolley of groceries - the brand match offers always tell me my shopping was cheaper with them but I think thats because human nature is to pick up the items on offer

Choccy biccies - Dog
>>Sorry to shatter peoples preconceptions of Waitrose, but said digestives are £1.09 a pack or 2 for £1.90

>>Not sure on your qty of Lapsang Souchong but 50 bags is £1.42

>>Or a box of the loose stuff is £1.01

Certainly an eye opener mikey. The ole woman said she'd consider going to Waitrose next week, but what she'd save at the till would be lost in the 2.0 ltr petrol auto CR-V, being said supermarket is 14 miles away in Truro.

Just my logical mind see. Did I ever tell you who I am closely related to?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spock#/media/File:Leonard_Nimoy_as_Spock_1967.jpg

:o}

Choccy biccies - mikeyb
Its probably all swings and roundabouts - next week the prices could have reversed, and as you say, total cost of acquisition is a consideration!

Could probably save a few quid myself if I had the time / inclination to check the best deals and just buy those, but life's to short

Choccy biccies - Dog
Look after the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves :)

Choccy biccies - sherlock47
Dog

What an exciting life we lead :o

She was correct - I posted that last week! Scroll up a little.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sat 18 Mar 17 at 12:26

Choccy biccies - Dog
>>She was correct - I posted that last week! Scroll up a little.

I cee'd it but didn't take it board at the time. Shopping is what other people do, knowlmean ;)

Choccy biccies - VxFan
>> the ole woman reckons she bought a jumbo pack [500g] of McVities Digestives (in Tesco's) for £1.14 whereas they wanted £1.50 for the ordinary size.

She's not the only one - points to an earlier post in this thread

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=23501&m=527800&v=e

Choccy biccies - Dog
>>She's not the only one - points to an earlier post in this thread

Pay attention at the back there - sherlock mentioned that at 12:25pm.

Have you ever considered becoming a moderator :o

Bargains Thread - Pound shop buys? - henry k
If you are not aware there maybe some unexpected bargains lurking there.
The days of all items priced at ONE pound have really gone.
In the Surbiton shop near the front by the tills are big signs denote £2, £3 etc items.
Behind the tills were items up to £10.
So no need to trudge the aisles to view the latest stock.
e.g a box of Maynards wine gums for £2. I have only ever seen the at that price but on special offer at Sainsburys who seem to have very few reductions on anything of late.

Halfords 'Professional ' Advanced Socket Sets - sherlock47
Currently on sale at half normal price. Historically they have been excellent quality - with a lifetime guarantee and replacement. maybe they are changing manufacturer and clearing stock?

The last socket I exchanged (17mm?) broke on a obstinate wheel nut - I think that the 3foot scaffold pole + my weight may have had something to do with it:)

www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-18-piece-socket-set-3-8

ALDI special buys: 49" ultra HD 4K TV - Dog
www.aldi.co.uk/bauhn-49-inch-ultra-hd-4k-smart-tv/p/094256093596100

ALDI special buys: 49" ultra HD 4K TV - CGNorwich
It's cheap certainly but you can get a similarly specced Samsung from John Lewis
for £100 more. I know who I would like to deal with more if there are problems down the line.

www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue49ku6400u-led-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-49-with-freeview-hd-freesat-hd-and-built-in-wi-fi/p2729551#tabinfo-spcl-offr
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 25 Mar 17 at 09:47

ALDI special buys: 49" ultra HD 4K TV - smokie
ISTR both Lidl and ALDI do something like 3 yr guarantee on electricals but some people reported issues with it. Lidl put me in touch with the manufacturer of a battery charger I'd bought which went faulty after about 20 months, and I couldn't find the receipt. I got a replacement and didn't have to return the old one.I changed a faulty battery charger
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 25 Mar 17 at 10:21

ALDI special buys: 49" ultra HD 4K TV - Dog
Bauhn panels are probably Samsung grade A anyway.

"Probably"

The John Lewis ones are definitely and come with a 5 year guarantee. I guess you pays your money and you takes your choice.

ALDI special buys: 49" ultra HD 4K TV - R.P.
Quid a week for 2 years extra warranty. Bargain

ALDI special buys: 49" ultra HD 4K TV - Mapmaker
>> Quid a week for 2 years extra warranty. Bargain

Really? Assume they last until the end of the guarantee period. The Lidl at £330 one has cost you £110 per annum. The John Lewis at £599 over 5 years is £120 per annum.

Electrical goods tend to fail shortly after purchase or years later. I'd be buying the Lidl one.

ALDI special buys: 49" ultra HD 4K TV - madf
>> Electrical goods tend to fail shortly after purchase or years later. I'd be buying the
>> Lidl one.

Precisely ..

Our kitchen mixer failed last month. Poor joints in the blender drive. Mind you it was 36 years old.

Our Sony TV bought in 2005 is still perfect.. Our 2001 Dyson still keeps going.
But our Panasonic microwave failed after 20 odd years.. But our 1993 AEG fridge /freezer is still going strong as is our 1975 chest freezer..

We do destroy washing machines every 7 years or so ...
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 27 Mar 17 at 12:59

ALDI special buys: 49" ultra HD 4K TV - Stuartli
The Retra website use to have an extensive retail customers advice page, including details of the warranties they could expect but, however, seems to have deleted them.

Examples included those mentioned in this story:

tinyurl.com/m7mu2pq

but recent Trading Standards changes mean even more demands being placed on retailers.
>>We do destroy washing machines every 7 years or so ...>>

Remarkable...!! A Zanussi washer/dryer bought in March 1990 lasted 13 years before the bearings started to pack up and the replacement Miele Novomatic 864 is still going strong 14 years on...:-)

ALDI special buys: 49" ultra HD 4K TV - Manatee
>>the replacement Miele Novomatic 864 is still going strong 14 years
>> on...:-)

I did advise you to replace the drum dampers didn't I? A cheap and easy prophylactic that could prevent it trashing the drum-reversing relay. My Novotronic W865 did that at about 14 years after said dampers lost their virtue.

Let us know how it fares:)

>>Let us know how it fares:-)>>

I did and I will.

But you'll probably only have to check about once every year or two for any potential answer...:-)

ALDI special buys: 49" ultra HD 4K TV - Mapmaker
>>7 against 14 years

Maybe the former gets twice as much use as the latter?

ALDI special buys: 49" ultra HD 4K TV - madf
Our washing machines average 7 years as we on them twice a day. On average.

Twice a week, or twice a month but never twice a day, shorely?? :-)

Unless you run a small hotel maybe!
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 28 Mar 17 at 12:24

ALDI special buys: 49" ultra HD 4K TV - mikeyb
Twice a day is probably our average - kids get through a lot of clothes and with muddy school PE kits thrown into the equation its not difficult.

Oh, a small person's hotel then... :-)
>> Twice a week, or twice a month but never twice a day, shorely (surely)?? :-)
>>
>> Unless you run a small hotel maybe!>>

Every household's requirements are different - there is no easily recognised average for washing machine use...:-)

Clearly not...

Average Washing Machine use in the UK

The average household consists of 2.3 people

Based on approximately 27 million homes in the UK, the vast majority will have a washing machine
They have worked out that the average number of washes per household per year is 270

Based on this figure, this will give us a figure of roughly 117 washes per person per year
A typical family of 2 adults and 2 children would lead to almost double the average number of washes, totalling about 468 wash cycles per year

There are obviously other factors to be taken into account with any calculation of this type, such as people’s habits and specific requirements such as:

Families who use cotton nappies for their infants, requiring a more washes per year

Bedding is another big factor to take into account. The average household changes bedding once a week, but there are circumstances that would have a big impact on this figure, generated by medical issues such as skin conditions for example, that would require bedding to be changed more often.

>>Based on approximately 27 million homes in the UK, the vast majority will have a washing machine. They have worked out that the average number of washes per household per year is 270>>

A very wishy washy set of averages. Every household will have a different figure from the average. On average, of course...:-)

Bit like snooker. Many billions of people play the game annually, yet no two of their individual frames are exactly the same.

Every household will have a different figure from the average.

I think that how averages work!

>>I think that how averages work! >>

You don't say!

But rarely on such a massively wide scale....:-) :-) Hardly an average example!

"Every household will have a different figure from the average."

Well not all types of averages of course. The modal average would be the most recurring value so lots of houselholds would be "average' by definition.

Thats one of the problems with published statistics. They seldom state whether the aveage is arithmetical, median or modal.

Prestone screen wash 4l - VxFan
I saw this was reduced in price in Tesco's at the weekend. Discontinued line I think.

Reduced from £5 down to £2.50.

Not sure why, but a couple of the tubs were reduced even further down to £1, so I snapped them up sharpish.

Not normally a fan of ready mix screen wash (i.e. buying water twice) but at that price it was rude not to.

There do seem to be mixed reviews about it though, from very good, to awful and contains a product similar to Rain X which puts a dangerous film on your screen that blurs vision when it rains and wipers are in use, and is almost impossible to remove.

Prestone screen wash 4l - bathtub tom
>> There do seem to be mixed reviews about it though, from very good, to awful
>> and contains a product similar to Rain X which puts a dangerous film on your
>> screen that blurs vision when it rains and wipers are in use, and is almost
>> impossible to remove.

I wonder why it was reduced?..........................................................

Prestone screen wash 4l - tyrednemotional
>> I wonder why it was reduced?..........................................................
>>

....nice try, but the real reason is likely to be because it is seasonal (Winter) stock.

;-)

Frozen New Zealand lamb leg joints - ALDI - bathtub tom
Priced at over £5/Kg on the packaging, but the tills charge £2.49/Kg.
I understand the tills are updated online, so probably country wide.

Frozen New Zealand lamb leg joints - ALDI - legacylad
Baaaargain

Asda car Oils half price or better - smokie
groceries.asda.com/shelf/car-care/oils-lubricants/1215429437535

E.g. 5L Vw 5W30 £13

Asda car Oils half price or better - Stuartli
Asda appears to have gone back to normal prices already....:-(

Latest Forum Posts